Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Old article: 4 December, 2021

He was driven to Sale, showered and fed and was taken to the interview room to be asked questions under a caution that anything he said could be used in evidence.

In such cases it is almost certain his lawyer would have recommended he didn’t talk, but he chose to engage regardless. This is a path often taken by the innocent, or by those who think they are the cleverest person in the room.

People who know him (and there are few) have described him as self-sufficient, self-absorbed, self-contained; a narcissist with an obsessive eye for detail. He was also highly intelligent and calm under pressure.

He was interviewed last year and told police he had not seen the couple and believed he had been cleared.

Experienced police say that in interviews where the subject is talking, it is usual for them to give a version of events that alters when police introduce evidence that casts doubts on the story. Then in later versions the mix of truth and lies alters further as the suspect gives a version that minimises their culpability.

Loner, pilot, barbecue-lover - mystery swirls around accused killer

That's what appears to be happening now.

I guess so, but it can be the worst thing an accused can do and I believe that in many (most?) cases defence lawyers are inclined to advise against it.

It seems to me that the prosecution needed to establish in the jury's mind that Lynn has a short fuse, is prone to violence and is inclined to act first and then think. In order to do that I guess they would have had to present witnesses to establish those characteristics though personal experiences of those behaviors.

AFAIK, no such witnesses were called.
Having the defendant testify is usually a last resort.

While there's a lull until Tuesday, here's an update re my tip to Crimestoppers.

I didn’t disclose in my post what it was because it’s not unknown for police in Oz to read WS (the Claremont serial killer case in WA). I think it’s now safe to say what the tip was.

I said that as recently as April 2021 (13 months after the murders) GL posted on social media that he’d been camping at Lake Cobbler, a shallow lake about 65km from the Wonnangatta Valley. As his trailer was still missing, perhaps VicPol might consider looking there. Regrettably nothing came of it as it’s still missing.

Fresh insights into man arrested over missing Victoria campers

I'm surprised the Prosecutor never asked him about the traile

Do we know where it went according to GL?
Lynn said he sold on Gumtree to an Asian man. Police verified that there had been an add placed . It could be just part of his elaborate cover up, as no one came forward to say they bought it. Maybe he did dump in lake & created the add as diversion.

GL and his wife were secretly recorded watching a 60 Minutes episode about the missing campers.

A clip was played to the jury in which a journalist reported police had eliminated every vehicle that was in the Wonnangatta Valley at the time the pair vanished except for a dark blue Nissan Patrol, described as the “strongest lead” in the hunt for clues. A picture of the car and trailer the police were seeking to identify was included. Melanie Lynn commented to GL that the footage “really looked like” his car and trailer.

Days later, he was captured on a CCTV camera removing a black awning from the passenger side of his car.

Det. S/C Florence said a listening device had been placed in GL’s home and that the 60 Minutes program was aired as part of a police strategy.

He said a number of things GL told police during his interview were correct, i.e. where suspected blood spatter was found on RH’s car, how a site at Bucks Camp was set up, what he burned in the campsite fire, his path entering and leaving the valley, and where their human remains were located. He said GL answered every question asked of him and had marked maps to assist in locating where the bodies were taken to and burned. Dann asked if everything GL said was true to which Florence replied, “No”.

Missing campers’ accused killer Gregory Lynn set to give evidence
Clearly his wife is not the sharpest tool in the shed. Would you look at a picture of your spouses vehicle and not recognize it immediately? Number plate perhaps? (Unless it's a Tesla of course, in which case you are excused.)

One thing that stood out to me was his wife’s comments of the car and trailer looking like his from the 60 minutes program…. and then her taking a photo of him hand painting his car (with a roller!) a different colour. Surely she was suss at this point. A strategic move to take the photo knowing it would be evidence against him? The silence from those around him make me inclined to think they know he is more than capable of being responsible for these murders.
Good point, why would she take a photo like that.

So what is everyone thinking as we head to the close. I’ll say Guilty.

It’s been a topic of discussion in my workplace this week, seems to be split down the middle which is interesting. Many have said while they personally think he is guilty, some Jury members might buy the story so will move towards NG.

I just can’t buy the whole story. It’s just beyond far fetched.

Look forward to hearing your first-hand thoughts. Hope you get a seat.
Hi there,
Yes we were lucky to get into the gallery albeit being packed. He was very calm and extremely well spoken (however when the prosecutor got to him you could just feel an underlying anger). I honestly don’t believe the concocted story and I’m wondering whether the jury will….he was able to turn the story into it being a complete accident that Carol was shot in the head and Russell had a knife in he’s heart (hate it when that happens). I don’t post very much however I did remember in the early days stating it would be impossible to get an ASIC should he be convicted. This was the main reason he had to do the cover up. He went on to say his wife and son who were 2 rows in front of us that she was a part time Flightee and would not be able to support the family WTF !!! The prosecution also claimed it was impossible for the tussle to occur in front of the bull bar without somebody tripping over it as there was a “guy rope” tethered to the portable loo. Greg suggested that Russell must have lifted it. Prosection also tried to hammer home about the competencies of Pilots requiring thinking through emergencies and not jumping the gun (for want of a better word). I remember loosing an engine and the Captain said we don’t react (sit on your hands and logically think through the matter). The evidence was just too clean all the car doors open which made it easy for Russell to take Greg’s gun from the Patrol….Carol standing in front of the car when the bullet went through the side mirror consequently killing her. I just got a message saying that the crown squandered a golden moment to pick apart his story. He also showed no remorse whatsoever. It will be very interesting to how the jury view it.

Do you reckon he’ll shed a few strategic tears?

moo

It’s been a topic of discussion in my workplace this week, seems to be split down the middle which is interesting. Many have said while they personally think he is guilty, some Jury members might buy the story so will move towards NG.

I just can’t buy the whole story. It’s just beyond far fetched.
He had no tears and definitely no remorse he thought more about his ASIC and returning to a normal life.

Hi there,
Yes we were lucky to get into the gallery albeit being packed. He was very calm and extremely well spoken (however when the prosecutor got to him you could just feel an underlying anger). I honestly don’t believe the concocted story and I’m wondering whether the jury will….he was able to turn the story into it being a complete accident that Carol was shot in the head and Russell had a knife in he’s heart (hate it when that happens). I don’t post very much however I did remember in the early days stating it would be impossible to get an ASIC should he be convicted. This was the main reason he had to do the cover up. He went on to say his wife and son who were 2 rows in front of us that she was a part time Flightee and would not be able to support the family WTF !!! The prosecution also claimed it was impossible for the tussle to occur in front of the bull bar without somebody tripping over it as there was a “guy rope” tethered to the portable loo. Greg suggested that Russell must have lifted it. Prosection also tried to hammer home about the competencies of Pilots requiring thinking through emergencies and not jumping the gun (for want of a better word). I remember loosing an engine and the Captain said we don’t react (sit on your hands and logically think through the matter). The evidence was just too clean all the car doors open which made it easy for Russell to take Greg’s gun from the Patrol….Carol standing in front of the car when the bullet went through the side mirror consequently killing her. I just got a message saying that the crown squandered a golden moment to pick apart his story. He also showed no remorse whatsoever. It will be very interesting to how the jury view it.
What was the generally vibe you got? Did it feel people were buying what he was selling? I know very scientific lol.

I'm hoping for two counts of murder but it strikes me that, if 12 jurors consider there's some doubt, then there's a possibility of:

Guilty of manslaughter of Hill
Guilty of murder of Clay

... if the judge will allow such a split verdict.

Hi there,

Thanks for your report.

What's the make up of the Jury M/F??

I'm hoping for two counts of murder but it strikes me that, if 12 jurors consider there's some doubt, then there's a possibility of:

Guilty of manslaughter of Hill
Guilty of murder of Clay

... if the judge will allow such a split verdict.
IMO GL's successful efforts to completely pulverise the remains of Carol Clay and Russell Hil, apparently to destroy any possibility of identifying the cause(s) of the deaths (along with, I'm speculating, what may have happened to them prior to the infliction of fatal wounds), may just be a bridge too far for jury members.

(If Carol were still alive after Russell's death, I'm hoping desperately that she didn't have to experience a sexual assault prior to her death.)

I'm hoping for a "Guilty" verdict for both of the deceased. It looks that way to me. JMO

RIP Carol Clay and Russell Hill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members