Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory Lynn is admitting lying to his wife about his involvement in the case as media reports of the missing pair started to be published.
“The last thing I wanted to do was tell other people about it. I never mentioned anything to anyone. I still haven’t talked to them about it.“
Crown prosecutor Daniel Porceddu is asking about how prepared he was to lie to cover up the case:
Porceddu: When required you are prepared to be deceptive?
Lynn: I lied to my wife to protect her.
Porceddu: Didn’t you lie to your wife to protect yourself?
Lynn: No.

Next, Greg Lynn was questioned about whether he told his wife, Melanie, about the ordeal.

Melanie walking into court
Greg Lynn's wife Melanie.(ABC News: Patrick Rocca)
Asked why he wasn't upfront with his partner, Mr Lynn said the "last thing" he wanted to do was involve other people.

"I lied to my wife. I lied to my wife to protect her," Mr Lynn said.
"Didn't you lie to your wife to protect yourself?" prosecutor Daniel Porceddu countered.
"No. If I told her, she would then be involved in it," Mr Lynn replied.

Prosecutor Daniel Porceddu has taken his seat.

From The SMH:

The prosecution has finished their cross-examination and Lynn has been excused from the witness box.

The jury will now be sent away for the long weekend and begin hearing closing arguments on Tuesday.

There’s also some info in that coverage about why he left his car doors open with a gun inside the car.

The evidence in this case has now been presented to the jury, but before they go out to decide on their verdict the lawyers will have one more chance to pitch their case.

Prosecutor Daniel Porceddu and defence barrister Dermot Dann will make their closing arguments next week.

If you've seen an American court drama before, you'll have an idea of what it'll be like.

One difference in Australian courts though, is that the lawyers don't go walking around the courtroom and up to the jury box.

They remain at the bar table, where microphones pick up their every word for an official court transcript.

Once the closing arguments are completed, Justice Michael Croucher will give his final "charge" to the jury and take them through legal points they will need to consider.

Then the case, and Greg Lynn's future, are in the jury's hands.

"Your verdict, whether it be guilty or not guilty of any charge, must be unanimous," Justice Croucher told the jury on the opening day of the trial.

Prosecutors have accused Mr Lynn of trying to provoke a response from Mr Hill by playing his music loudly at night.

I wasn’t trying to provoke a response, if he was rude I could be rude too,” he responded.

“You were being a pest?,” Mr Porceddu asked.

“Yes,” Mr Lynn replied.

Mr Porceddu accused Mr Lynn of firing several shots at Mrs Clay, later telling police there were shots fired into the air as a “cover” for if others had heard.

His barrister, Dermot Dann KC, interjected, saying it was “improper” for the prosecution to make up a version of events “in desperation”.

Justice Croucher agreed, saying the prosecution was “inventing” an account without evidence.
Wow sophisticated psychological move GL and Dann. Hit em with the old “I know you are but what am I ” allegation.
Who could ever doubt your masterful story and intelligence.

Projection, the mental process by which people attribute to others what is in their own minds. The concept was introduced to psychology by the Austrian psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud (1856–1939)

While there's a lull until Tuesday, here's an update re my tip to Crimestoppers.

I didn’t disclose in my post what it was because it’s not unknown for police in Oz to read WS (the Claremont serial killer case in WA). I think it’s now safe to say what the tip was.

I said that as recently as April 2021 (13 months after the murders) GL posted on social media that he’d been camping at Lake Cobbler, a shallow lake about 65km from the Wonnangatta Valley. As his trailer was still missing, perhaps VicPol might consider looking there. Regrettably nothing came of it as it’s still missing.

Fresh insights into man arrested over missing Victoria campers

I'm surprised the Prosecutor never asked him about the trailer.

While there's a lull until Tuesday, here's an update re my tip to Crimestoppers.

I didn’t disclose in my post what it was because it’s not unknown for police in Oz to read WS (the Claremont serial killer case in WA). I think it’s now safe to say what the tip was.

I said that as recently as April 2021 (13 months after the murders) GL posted on social media that he’d been camping at Lake Cobbler, a shallow lake about 65km from the Wonnangatta Valley. As his trailer was still missing, perhaps VicPol might consider looking there. Regrettably nothing came of it as it’s still missing.

Do we know where it went according to GL?

Honestly i find his story completely unbelievable.

The idea an elderly gentleman comes to his campsite and gets his gun out - is silly in the first place, let alone that he then has a wrestling match over it and shoots the female victim. Then after all that, the male also dies by accident in the fight - lol. What a bad day at the office.

I'd love to hear him answer that question!

I'm not a lawyer, but It's my understanding that prosecutors don't usually ask witnesses questions about facts/acts that they don't already have the answers for, so that when a witness lies, he/she can rebut immediately with proof of the lie.

Police allege that Lynn tried to sell his trailer on Gumtree in an attempt to distance himself from the deaths. The trailer has never been located. (bbm)

I guess the prosecutor could say: "You didn't sell it, you chopped it up and disposed of it, didn't you?"

Presumably Lynn would deny that, but the thought has now entered the jurors' minds -- as long as the judge allowed the question.

was this his fb or insta?

Your verdict, whether it be guilty or not guilty of any charge, must be unanimous," Justice Croucher told the jury on the opening day of the trial.
Can someone please enlighten us folks who know nothing about this sort of stuff, advise what happens next if found Guilty or Not Guilty.

Is he essentially free to leave if found NG?

This Age article says that Lynn claims Russell came at him with a black handled kitchen knife. And that he later burned the knife and the drone, after he pulled the knife out of Russell's chest.

Did the police find the metal remains of these items? Would a knife's blade completely disintegrate in a fire?

Lynn said he threw the knife in the river. it has not been found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turtle1973