SC - Mica Miller, 30 yr old Found Deceased - Pastors Wife's Death Being Investigated, May 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That was an extreme case where she actually talked to him live and said to just do it and follow thru with it.

IMO, this case with Mica is much grayer and that's going to be tough to change the law to where it is fair and not used as a tool in situations where it might be abuse like regular messy divorces.
I am sure there may be cases that would seek to exploit a coercive control act, but after following this case since day one, and after having read every post of this case, and everything else that has been reported that I could find, it isn't this case. IMO, there is nothing gray here. Mica may still be alive today, had such a law been in place in SC. If ever a bill should have a name attached to it, it is this bill, and Mica's name. Not only should SC legislators act quickly to get this law passed, but so should every other state in the US, that does not already have such a law in place. JMO

Last edited:
This is a long and comprehensive article, but well worth reading, for all, but especially for anyone just jumping into the thread. From the linked article...

The Post and Courier spoke with a dozen people connected to the Miller family, the church and the bar that Miller co-owned until recently. Reporters also reviewed sermons, text messages, property records, police reports and court filings.

Together, they illuminate the secret life of a religious leader accused in court records of sexually molesting underage girls and abusive behavior toward women, including both of his former wives. They paint a portrait of a pastor who didn't practice what he preached.

His confessions of a checkered past forged a bond with his evangelical congregation when his sermons cast him as a sinner who found salvation, said former church member Eric Weber.

Weber, who joined the church in 2021, said Miller seemed a “humble, repentant person … who publicly took responsibility for his divorce — for a while.

"J.P. would say, ‘I’m a sinner like you,’ so it was fairly easy to forgive him (as) a changed man. … We all wanted the power to be redeemed from our sinful natures.”

But as Miller’s marriage to Mica also crumbled, Weber saw a drastic change.

“J.P. started acting more and more … " Weber paused for the precise word, ”evil."

"His sermons became very myopic and narcissistic," he said.

Disillusioned, Weber left the church last year.

Last edited:
This answers my earlier question about who has possession of her cell phone.

Ward said the battle over the estate is not so much about the value of Mica’s belongings. She had a car, jewelry and personal items like clothing and a cell phone, according to a postnuptial agreement made between Mica and John-Paul. The cell phone, Ward said, is what she’s most interested in. Ward said the Robeson County Sheriff’s Office currently has custody of Mica’s phone, purse and some other belongings.

“Cell phones are usually quite personal,” Ward said. “There could be notes kept on there, history kept on there, obviously communications between her and other people, possibly John-Paul. So, obviously, looking into the things that may be on that cell phone may be helpful in answering additional questions. Things may be on there that the investigators looking into her death may not have seen as relevant to that situation, but those communications or other things on the phone may be relevant to another situation, which would be a potential civil suit against John-Paul and or the church.”

A hearing was scheduled for today in Horry County to address this...has anyone heard anything as to whether or not it is still on, and what may have been decided?

Alison Williams recently asked a judge to temporarily grant her sole custody of their two youngest children, with all contact suspended until John-Paul completes a psychological and parental fitness exam.

A hearing is slated for June 6 on Williams’ custody filing.

Last edited:
That was an extreme case where she actually talked to him live and said to just do it and follow thru with it.

IMO, this case with Mica is much grayer and that's going to be tough to change the law to where it is fair and not used as a tool in situations where it might be abuse like regular messy divorces.

They don't need to reinvent the wheel. Many countries and states already have such laws in place.

A hearing was scheduled for today in Horry County to address this...has anyone heard anything as to whether or not it is still on, and what may have been decided?

Alison Williams recently asked a judge to temporarily grant her sole custody of their two youngest children, with all contact suspended until John-Paul completes a psychological and parental fitness exam.

A hearing is slated for June 6 on Williams’ custody filing.

According to the Post and Courier article you shared, the judge granted her request on May 29.

ETA the quote
A judge on May 29 granted Williams' emergency request to deny J.P. Miller visitation with his children, citing the "imminent risk and threat of harm" for the children. The couple had two other children during the marriage who are now adults.

There is SO MUCH to unpack in this lengthy Post and Courier article. Thank you for sharing, @SteveP !

Of note…

The Post and Courier spoke with a dozen people connected to the Miller family, the church and the bar that Miller co-owned until recently. Reporters also reviewed sermons, text messages, property records, police reports and court filings.

Together, they illuminate the secret life of a religious leader accused in court records of sexually molesting underage girls and abusive behavior toward women, including both of his former wives. They paint a portrait of a pastor who didn't practice what he preached.

He was also minority owner of a dueling piano bar, Crocodile Rocks, located next to the Hard Rock Cafe in the sprawling tourist destination Broadway at the Beach. It sells 42-ounce "big-*advertiser censored* drinks" to customers who can request tunes by the two pianists on stage. Two people who worked at the bar told The Post and Courier they were shocked when they learned Miller was a married pastor.

During one of the couple's separations last year, J.P. went on dates with the adult daughter of a family in the church. The family would soon confront J.P. and the elders about his behavior during those dates, according to five people connected to the church. The Post and Courier also reviewed text messages in which J.P. Miller apologized for what he called "ungodly actions" and blamed it on bipolar episodes stemming from the stress of his marriage disintegrating.

The church was unwilling or unable to hold him accountable, including after Miller confessed to the congregation that he had engaged in drug use during a trip to Disney World in recent years, according to four people who attended the church.

The couple's marriage had been steeped in odd acts and secrecy from the very beginning. They had married covertly before staging a public ceremony at the church in 2017, her divorce lawyer, Regina Ward, said. J.P. convinced Mica that it was the best way for him to be her caretaker after she underwent breast augmentation surgery at his urging, Ward said.

Her family didn't learn about the marriage until the after-effects of the anesthesia triggered bizarre behaviors that landed Mica in a mental hospital, Ward said. They showed up to the hospital, and J.P. refused to let them see her, she said. It was the first step in a pattern of trying to isolate Mica from her family, Mica's sister said.

Ward said J.P. used the church as a weapon against Mica, including using church letterhead to write letters that disparaged and demeaned her. She said he has made similar complaints about Mica's behavior.

"He's a projector," she said. "Whatever he's doing to other people, he's saying that's what they're doing to him."

The day after Mica died, J.P. texted her family.

"This is what happens when you try to encourage someone to divorce the person they love and tell them they don't need medicine and that they're not ill when they are," J.P. Miller allegedly wrote, according to text messages her family has shared online. "Good job Francis family."

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!!

It took three sermons earlier this year for Chasity Abuadas to decide Solid Rock wasn't for her. She heard some of the rumors about Miller, but something she can't quite pinpoint about his sermons made her uncomfortable. She remembers telling a friend, "He's a good speaker. But so is the devil."

AMEN!

There is SO MUCH to unpack in this lengthy Post and Courier article. Thank you for sharing, @SteveP !

Of note…

He was also minority owner of a dueling piano bar, Crocodile Rocks, located next to the Hard Rock Cafe in the sprawling tourist destination Broadway at the Beach. It sells 42-ounce "big-*advertiser censored* drinks" to customers who can request tunes by the two pianists on stage. Two people who worked at the bar told The Post and Courier they were shocked when they learned Miller was a married pastor.

During one of the couple's separations last year, J.P. went on dates with the adult daughter of a family in the church. The family would soon confront J.P. and the elders about his behavior during those dates, according to five people connected to the church. The Post and Courier also reviewed text messages in which J.P. Miller apologized for what he called "ungodly actions" and blamed it on bipolar episodes stemming from the stress of his marriage disintegrating.

The church was unwilling or unable to hold him accountable, including after Miller confessed to the congregation that he had engaged in drug use during a trip to Disney World in recent years, according to four people who attended the church.

The couple's marriage had been steeped in odd acts and secrecy from the very beginning. They had married covertly before staging a public ceremony at the church in 2017, her divorce lawyer, Regina Ward, said. J.P. convinced Mica that it was the best way for him to be her caretaker after she underwent breast augmentation surgery at his urging, Ward said.

Her family didn't learn about the marriage until the after-effects of the anesthesia triggered bizarre behaviors that landed Mica in a mental hospital, Ward said. They showed up to the hospital, and J.P. refused to let them see her, she said. It was the first step in a pattern of trying to isolate Mica from her family, Mica's sister said.

Ward said J.P. used the church as a weapon against Mica, including using church letterhead to write letters that disparaged and demeaned her. She said he has made similar complaints about Mica's behavior.

"He's a projector," she said. "Whatever he's doing to other people, he's saying that's what they're doing to him."

"This is what happens when you try to encourage someone to divorce the person they love and tell them they don't need medicine and that they're not ill when they are," J.P. Miller allegedly wrote, according to text messages her family has shared online. "Good job Francis family."

It took three sermons earlier this year for Chasity Abuadas to decide Solid Rock wasn't for her. She heard some of the rumors about Miller, but something she can't quite pinpoint about his sermons made her uncomfortable. She remembers telling a friend, "He's a good speaker. But so is the devil."

AMEN!
I know it is a long article and some will skip over it for that reason alone, but it is definitely worth a read. Has some new info and perspectives we have not seen before. JMO

More from the article...

J.P. had also experienced legal problems. Eight years before that first library sermon, he was convicted of hitting a woman with his truck in a subdivision near Myrtle Beach and continuing to drive nearly 100 yards with her on the hood before stopping.

He received a pardon for the charge in 2022.

Sometimes while he preached, J.P. would offer small glimpses into his messy life.

Last October, he told congregants in a videotaped sermon that he was struggling, taking 900 milligrams of lithium, a mood stabilizer often used to treat mental illnesses like bipolar disorder. He said he was seeing a psychiatrist and counselor, and was battling to get out of bed in the mornings.

"I have unforgiveness, hatred, demons coming out of me," he said.

Last edited:
This is a long and comprehensive article, but well worth reading, for all, but especially for anyone just jumping into the thread. From the linked article...

His confessions of a checkered past forged a bond with his evangelical congregation when his sermons cast him as a sinner who found salvation, said former church member Eric Weber.

Weber, who joined the church in 2021, said Miller seemed a “humble, repentant person … who publicly took responsibility for his divorce — for a while.

"J.P. would say, ‘I’m a sinner like you,’ so it was fairly easy to forgive him (as) a changed man. … We all wanted the power to be redeemed from our sinful natures.”

But as Miller’s marriage to Mica also crumbled, Weber saw a drastic change.

“J.P. started acting more and more … " Weber paused for the precise word, ”evil."

"His sermons became very myopic and narcissistic," he said.

Disillusioned, Weber left the church last year.

Can it be read anywhere without suscribing to it??

What drugs did JP take during the Disney World trip? This guy commits almost every type of sin there is, and then has the audacity to preach to others.
...and with all that has now been reported, why would anyone at all still be showing up to hear him, or anyone else covering for, and defending him.

Last edited:

The double life of pastor J.P. Miller: How Mica Miller's death exposed the sins of her husband

good gravy what an *advertiser censored**. Who does that?

...and with all that has now been reported, why would anyone at all still be showing up to hear him, or anyone else covering for, and defending him.
Because it is very cultish and that is what cult leaders do. They do and say horrible things and lie and their followers keep following. IMO people like that no longer have to critically think. They are told what to think by screens and imposters.

Also, IMO, religious zealotry seems to be full of these types of people who are susceptible to these types of leaders.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone with that comment. I'm just observing what I've seen in the world during my life.

I looked up the drug Lithium to see what it is prescribed for, side effects, long term usage etc. It is a pretty serious drug and needed to be monitored closely by a medical professional. With the privacy laws we have now I would imagine this will take a lengthy amount of time to investigate. Releases of info. have to be obtained, physician reports released etc. I was very impressed by the performance of Mica with Elton John's song, although I thought it odd that would be sung at a church. Maybe it was a special occasion at church or something. She was talented and quite gifted. I am sure that her family is very sad. I am thankful that they are being vocal and want answers, which they certainly are deserving of. As far as her husband is concerned, he will be held accountable. You don't mess with God's kids.

I looked up the drug Lithium to see what it is prescribed for, side effects, long term usage etc. It is a pretty serious drug and needed to be monitored closely by a medical professional. With the privacy laws we have now I would imagine this will take a lengthy amount of time to investigate. Releases of info. have to be obtained, physician reports released etc. I was very impressed by the performance of Mica with Elton John's song, although I thought it odd that would be sung at a church. Maybe it was a special occasion at church or something. She was talented and quite gifted. I am sure that her family is very sad. I am thankful that they are being vocal and want answers, which they certainly are deserving of. As far as her husband is concerned, he will be held accountable. You don't mess with God's kids.
The church apparently regularly takes popular "secular" songs and changes the lyrics to make a worship song. If you listen carefully, many of the words are changed. I think this was just a way for JP to impress everyone with his piano playing, like back in his dueling piano bar playing days. I'm surprised he didn't keep a tip jar on the church piano. But yes, Mica had a beautiful voice, although she stopped singing for a while because the testosterone he allegedly was forcing her to take had made her voice drop.

This is not a "parody" song, but is one of my favorites. Mica really did have a beautiful voice, and I think she was likely far more loved in that church than JP was or ever will be.

Here is one of their "parody" songs that, according to JP, "we re-write for Jesus". Mica's joy is so evident as she sings this song. Just looking at her singing, it is almost understandable how it was probably so hard for her to leave JP, knowing that she also would have to leave her church behind as well. Such a loss.

Last edited:

Of note…

AMEN!
That's an understatement, well written story with many details I hadn't seen before.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back