MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which we now know via the mirrored and 'clouds' in the Sallyport, people around the corner of the tail light area, forget that tail light once in there. More to commme on that for sure, so the pix are irrelevant at this time, from there.
That is what one would know from watching the entire trial, especially this past week and especially with Trooper B and P. Truths have been revealed, you know, like the pieces that revealed themselves as time went by on the drive by's and the former Chief.. sooo cringe.

Exactly, more of the same, received 'doctored' evidence, which we are also know the bias and full speed ahead b.s finds from Proctor. Wonder what that jury thinks NOWWWW, the GRAND JURY PREVIOUSLY.
Yes keek….. so true. And sadly, IMO, this really should come down to fairness and forthright conduct by those involved for both the victim JOK and for the accused KR. Both were forever impacted in unimaginable ways that evening into morning.

And even if one was to concede that perhaps the defendant had allegedly struck the victim accidentally, in many respects IMO it seems to be overcharged? Granted IANAL.

Then that leaves one IMO with central questions as to why that charging might have occurred?

And some of that IMO seems to circle back to the investigator that was questioned yesterday? And perhaps others? MOO

^^rsbm

IIRC, I believe the DA had initially charged KR appropriately. It was the grand jury that later upped the charge to murder and not the DA.

Four months later, on June 9, a grand jury indicted Read on charges of second-degree murder, vehicular manslaughter and leaving the scene of personal injury and death, according the indictment filed in Norfolk Count Superior Court.
When she was already charged, why did they do a grand jury? Just curious what made them up the charges?

MP 'profusely' apologizing for his nasty actions and abuse was totally insincere IMO. He used the same phrase over and over and I saw not an ounce of remorse from him. He appeared agitated at having to repeat it over and over. IMO, MP is one truly nasty individual and should be fired along with his nasty 'superiors' that allowed that kind of communication. Those texts were horrifying and I can't believe KR had to sit through those comments. Unbiased?...No way!

MP 'profusely' apologizing for his nasty actions and abuse was totally insincere IMO. He used the same phrase over and over and I saw not an ounce of remorse from him. He appeared agitated at having to repeat it over and over. IMO, MP is one truly nasty individual and should be fired along with his nasty 'superiors' that allowed that kind of communication. Those texts were horrifying and I can't believe KR had to sit through those comments. Unbiased?...No way!

Dude didn't even act like he was sorry he got caught. Very, very weird.

Just substitute it for "the state". Basically the same thing. Like a couple other of the early colonies and Kentucky, Massachusetts is a commonwealth rather than a state.

But state troopers are called "staties".

Thanks, @JasmineD and welcome to WS. :)

As the quoted OP from PA (also a CW) mentioned, I'd not heard this reference used in PA cases followed either.

When she was already charged, why did they do a grand jury? Just curious what made them up the charges?

It's a common technique to overcharge and still keep the lesser charge in hopes the defendant will strike a deal to plead guilty to the lesser charge. It gives the prosecution more leverage to avoid a trial while still getting a conviction.

YES, I was KEENLY watching his face and manner and nothing! Just the kind of squirming and lowering his voice and 'groveling' like a sniveling rat.
And while most of his texts were disgusting and vile, I think the most laughable was was HIM making fun of HER accent!!! (No offense to Bostonians here but c''mon.)

And while most of his texts were disgusting and vile, I think the most laughable was was HIM making fun of HER accent!!! (No offense to Bostonians here but c''mon.)

He's from CANTON. A Bulldog for life. And far superior to people a few miles to the south.

I think Read's from Taunton actually, which is less than 20 miles to the south if you go Bay Rd/Bay Street.

This article has a good timeline of the arrests, arraignments, etc. She was initially arrested on charges of "manslaughter, motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene of a deadly crash" and 5 months later, that was elevated to a second degree murder charge from the grand jury.

I don't believe it's known exactly why. There has been speculation that CW hoped she would take a plea deal so there wouldn't need to be a trial. When that didn't happen, they started pursuing more serious charges.

I have a def Boston accent and I was horrified, I know people could say, ohh that Boston accentttt and mock it.. (as they doooooooooooooooo, in good sport I'M SURE on here. haha) but for someone from here with it, him, but not that pronounced as lots, to use FALL RIVER as a putdown, talk about pecking order of class via accents.. oh cringggggge. hahaha. It just showed me EXTRA EXTRA what a pea brain he is in society and sheltered. SO immature a statement to even think worth mentioning at that time.. so weird.. Oh, actually, my avitar is sideways shot of sky and Boston Habah. ;)

JMO he appeared humiliated and embarrassed to me, I say Karma has been served.

Most likely a State Statute that requires any felony charge to also go before a grand jury.

Personally, I'm not a fan of grand jury indictments because they replace a preliminary hearing where the public gets to learn the State's evidence against the defendant, and where the Court rules whether or not sufficient evidence for the case bound over for trial. IME, criminal charges by Information and Complaint are more prevalent in the Western states.

ETA: Confirming MA Rules of Criminal Procedure, Rule 5- governs that Grand jury indictments in Massachusetts are required before a person can be accused of a crime in the Massachusetts Superior Court.

Last edited:
This article has a good timeline of the arrests, arraignments, etc. She was initially arrested on charges of "manslaughter, motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene of a deadly crash" and 5 months later, that was elevated to a second degree murder charge from the grand jury.

I don't believe it's known exactly why. There has been speculation that CW hoped she would take a plea deal so there wouldn't need to be a trial. When that didn't happen, they started pursuing more serious charges.

IMO, the upped charges to the GJ also coincide with the KR defense NOT going with a simple plea, but instead were doing their own investigation. The DA ( and LE involved ) got wind of this, the extra 'witnesses' were now being held under a spot light, and Voila! We get sprinkled tail light pieces.
MOO

Most likely a State Statute that requires any felony charge to also go before a grand jury.

Personally, I'm not a fan of grand jury indictments because they replace a preliminary hearing where the public gets to learn the State's evidence against the defendant, and where the Court rules whether or not sufficient evidence for the case bound over for trial. IME, criminal charges by Information and Complaint are more prevalent in the Western states.

I'm not sure which is better or whether there's a difference, but I was on a grand jury in MA years ago. High profile case. We declined to indict. The actual killer was found via DNA a view a few years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay