Identified! CA - El Toro, Orange Co, BlkFem 18-25, UP7655, gold cap on tooth, clothes, hair curlers, Apr'83 Maritza Glean Grimmett

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Coffee56

Reaction score
I thought there was an existing thread for this UID but I am unable to find it.

Thumbnail

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number83-01672-M
Demographics
SexFemale
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult
Estimated Age Range (Years)18-25
Estimated Year of Death1982-1983
Estimated PMI5 Months
Height5' 4"(64 inches) , Estimated
WeightCannot Estimate
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body FoundApril 25, 1983
NamUs Case CreatedAugust 26, 2010
ME/C QA ReviewedNovember 5, 2010
Location Found Map
LocationEl Toro, California
CountyOrange County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Circumstances of RecoverySkeleton found in drainage ditch. Orange County Sheriff-Coroner website http://ocsd.org/divisions/prof/coroner/ud/jane/8301672m
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains--
Condition of RemainsNot recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Descriptionmultiple black hair curlers with black hair
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorUnknown
Right Eye ColorUnknown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
found in the vincinity of the remains---tank-type top, no labels, tan? color with dark brown trim at neck. Abstract yellow, blue, brown/black red print of trees, house/ cabin & water on fron of tank top.
Near the Body

Footwear
Also found in the vicinity---two women's athletic type short-ankle white socks with red top edge trim, with red fabric ball detached.
On the Body

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

1022UFCA

exclusions:
MP5284 Laronda Bronson 11/19/1982 Multnomah OR
MP20055 Beverly Bealer 08/20/1980 Los Angeles CA
MP25660 Rosie Pilcher 10/05/1982 Multnomah OR

Here's her current OC Coroner's Office link, the namus OC Sherriff's Office link no longer works:
Orange County, California - 83-01672-M
As can be seen on the one of the reconstructions, she had a distinctive gold cap on tooth #10 which would have been visible when smiling or probably simply talking, thus known to people who knew her. It also has an image/reconstruction of the shirt she was found wearing which is fairly unique.
CORONER CASE NUMBER: 83-01672-M
SEX: FEMALE
RACE: BLACK, possible CAUCASIAN mix
DATE of DEATH: Found 4/25/1983. Dead prior to January 1983
AGE Est.: 18 to 24
EYES: Unknown
HAIR: Black
HGT. Inches: 63 to 66
WEIGHT LBS: Unknown
CITY OF DEATH: Unknown
LOCATION FOUND: Canada Road off of Lake Forest, El Toro
DEATH CLASSIFICATION: Undetermined
FEATURES: Skeletal remains, black or mulatto female, gold window cap, upper lt. tooth #10, black hair in curlers found, narrow face w/ delicate features, wearing white or light colored tank top with brown piping on neck and sleeves with a multi-colored design on front of top
PHYSIQUE: Unknown - Skeletal remains

Children found her body in 1983. O.C. - Bing images
Children found her body in 1983. O.C. detectives hope a new image can crack the cold case (msn.com)

''The release says that "based on preliminary anthropological analysis," it is believed the woman was 18 to 24 years old, Black or of mixed race, between 5 foot 3 and 5 foot 6 in height, with "a slight build."

The new rendering of what the woman may have looked like, produced by forensic artist Carl Koppelman based on the available evidence, includes depictions of what she might have been wearing at the time of her death.

The department worked with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in 2019 to produce a black-and-white, forensic rendering using a scan of the remains to determine facial features.

"The image was widely circulated, however, no new information was developed," the department said.''

The updated rendering is in color and depicts the woman with longer hair and a distinctive dental feature. The department said it hopes the rendering will lead to her identification and spur developments in the investigation, which has been cold for years.''

''The department asked anyone who recognizes the woman to contact Investigator Bob Taft at 714-647-7045 or email coldcase@ocsheriff.gov.''

83-01672-M​

8301672Mtoothresize_3.bmp

2022 revised rendering

DOE, Jane 83-01672-M #1
CORONER CASE NUMBER:83-01672-M
SEX: FEMALE
RACE: BLACK, possible CAUCASIAN mix
DATE of DEATH: Found 4/25/1983. Dead prior to January 1983
AGE Est.: 18 to 24
EYES: Unknown
HAIR: Black
HGT. Inches: 63 to 66
WEIGHT LBS: Unknown
CITY OF DEATH: Unknown
LOCATION FOUND: Canada Road off of Lake Forest, El Toro
DEATH CLASSIFICATION:Undetermined
FEATURES: Skeletal remains, black or mulatto female, gold window cap, upper lt. tooth #10, black hair in curlers found, narrow face w/ delicate features, wearing white or light colored tank top with brown piping on neck and sleeves with a multi-colored design on front of top
PHYSIQUE: Unknown - Skeletal remains
TEETH/CONDITION: Gold window cap, upper lt. tooth #10
DOE, Jane 83-01672-M #2

8301672Mtanktopb.jpg

It appears that most of her family is in Panama, hence the difficulty in advocating for her. I am so glad that she was able to be identified. The process of reporting her missing started in Jan of this year. It’s amazing how quickly her identification then came about.

I hope they can now look into the, oops I mean a likely suspect…

Last edited:
Honored Othram could assist Orange County Sheriff's Department and the FBI in identifying a 1983 homicide victim as 20-year-old Maritza Glean Grimmett. We are grateful for the support of RTI, NamUs, and the NIJ in funding the case.

Well, another "dunno, she just ran away to Panama" case... with of course divorce in absentia.
She was murdered at home with her curlers still in her hair. I hope two face cheater "hubby" is still alive and gets checked out very well.
Well done, awesome work!

Well, another "dunno, she just ran away to Panama" case... with of course divorce in absentia.
She was murdered at home with her curlers still in her hair. I hope two face cheater "hubby" is still alive and gets checked out very well.
Well done, awesome work!
As far as I can tell, he's still alive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbmeadows98