Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So according to the sun (I know, I know)- and Lucy’s conversation with the 2 new friends- there was no hurry to leave. He went to the shop, purchased cigarettes and returned to the flat, he then spoke to the neighbour who said there was a bus every 10 minutes. So he was confident asking for help from strangers and went to the shop. The bus stop was by the apartment, but he didn’t return and he decided to walk, but didn’t go and purchase some water before setting off. I realise he could have misinterpreted 20 minutes drive as walking time- but if you did not have a view of the coast and could see the hairpin road, you would know it’s not 20 minutes walk away. In this article it also states he had only been walking for 30 minutes before he rang and said he was in trouble. This could also have been the point he realised it wasn’t 20 minutes walk away, but why then move.
I can see without definitly knowing that his friend was going to come and look for him, he might see continuing on as the best solution.

So according to the sun (I know, I know)- and Lucy’s conversation with the 2 new friends- there was no hurry to leave. He went to the shop, purchased cigarettes and returned to the flat, he then spoke to the neighbour who said there was a bus every 10 minutes. So he was confident asking for help from strangers and went to the shop. The bus stop was by the apartment, but he didn’t return and he decided to walk, but didn’t go and purchase some water before setting off. I realise he could have misinterpreted 20 minutes drive as walking time- but if you did not have a view of the coast and could see the hairpin road, you would know it’s not 20 minutes walk away. In this article it also states he had only been walking for 30 minutes before he rang and said he was in trouble. This could also have been the point he realised it wasn’t 20 minutes walk away, but why then move.
BBM for focus. The bar/shop 'Restaurant Masca' doesn't open until 9am. It's hours are 9am to 9pm.

Jay Slater’s stepfather says the missing teenager would not have walked for eight hours, as at home he would have to drive him to even get his hair cut.

Andy Watson, told reporters: “He has me run him down to the hairdressers, 200 yards away - why would he walk eight hours?"

School finance officer Debbie said: 'If anyone does have him, just let him go, he's not a bad person, maybe he's got in with some strangers who've befriended him.

'I'm not stupid, I've been to Tenerife before, I've worked abroad myself and I gave him warnings, I just think if anyone has got him let him go, he's not a bad person.'

Breaking down in tears, Debbie added: 'If he's got himself mixed up with any trouble, just let him go, just let him go, it's been three days, he's in the same clothes, if he's been dumped in the mountains it's hot in the day and cold at night.

'Jay is a brilliant person, everybody loves being in his company, he's bubbly and fun, he's such a lovely, beautiful boy. I just want my little baby home with me.

'He was supposed to fly home from Tenerife today, he should be on the flight now, coming home. I had the taxi booked and everything and now who knows where he is.

'I just don't know what to think, I'm all over the place and I'm trying to keep positive, has somebody taken him? Is he panicked and lost in the mountains? I just don't know, that's why if anyone has any information please just tell us.

'But if he is lost then why hasn't anyone seen him? It's busy with hikers and holidaymakers up there so if he was lost then someone would have seen him, so that's why I think maybe he's been bundled off somewhere.'

School finance officer Debbie said: 'If anyone does have him, just let him go, he's not a bad person, maybe he's got in with some strangers who've befriended him.

'I'm not stupid, I've been to Tenerife before, I've worked abroad myself and I gave him warnings, I just think if anyone has got him let him go, he's not a bad person.'

Breaking down in tears, Debbie added: 'If he's got himself mixed up with any trouble, just let him go, just let him go, it's been three days, he's in the same clothes, if he's been dumped in the mountains it's hot in the day and cold at night.

'Jay is a brilliant person, everybody loves being in his company, he's bubbly and fun, he's such a lovely, beautiful boy. I just want my little baby home with me.

'He was supposed to fly home from Tenerife today, he should be on the flight now, coming home. I had the taxi booked and everything and now who knows where he is.

'I just don't know what to think, I'm all over the place and I'm trying to keep positive, has somebody taken him? Is he panicked and lost in the mountains? I just don't know, that's why if anyone has any information please just tell us.

'But if he is lost then why hasn't anyone seen him? It's busy with hikers and holidaymakers up there so if he was lost then someone would have seen him, so that's why I think maybe he's been bundled off somewhere.'
Thank you for the transcription.
I don't know what to make of that. They must think it's a very real possibility he's being held? Or covering all bases?

I don't know what to make of that. They must think it's a very real possibility he's being held? Or covering all bases?
The police seem to think it is a missing person inquiry.
From the Mail article linked above:

search involving a helicopter, mountain rescue dogs and drones has so far discovered nothing, and he has been missing for three days with fears growing that he may have been abducted.

Spanish police have never said kidnapping is a line of enquiry and are treating him as a missing person.

Apprentice bricklayer Jay was last heard from at 8.50am on Monday when he messaged his friend Lucy Mae Law to say he was 19 miles away at the apartment in Masca, north west Tenerife and trying to make his way home.

The isolated village is famously a dangerous area, where many rescue operations have been launched in the last few years.

Not sure why there's always such an insistence on this when case after case after case proves that it's a total misconception. Even more so when the last case fresh in everyone's minds, with Michael Mosley, had him found several days later literally yards away from sunbeds and a cocktail bar.

I have found another possilbe reason as to why he may have wandered from the road, to get something called a Water Taxi - a boat which operates between the inaccessible beaches and the towns. There is one called the Masca Express. It's a boat service which goes between Masca Beach and the port of Los Gigantes. The service is currently closed due to the ongoing search, but it seems to operate quite frequently. Although he didn't mention this to his friend, he may have been about to before the phone cut out.

I think also a natural element of denial. With our loved ones, we will never want to envision the worst outcome. I can imagine to most parents, they would rather assume abducted but alive rather than the alternative which is surely death, being out in the wild for so long, poor woman. My heart goes out to her.

The police seem to think it is a missing person inquiry.
From the Mail article linked above:

search involving a helicopter, mountain rescue dogs and drones has so far discovered nothing, and he has been missing for three days with fears growing that he may have been abducted.

Spanish police have never said kidnapping is a line of enquiry and are treating him as a missing person.

Apprentice bricklayer Jay was last heard from at 8.50am on Monday when he messaged his friend Lucy Mae Law to say he was 19 miles away at the apartment in Masca, north west Tenerife and trying to make his way home.

The isolated village is famously a dangerous area, where many rescue operations have been launched in the last few years.
I don’t want to say anything unpleasant or difficult for friends and family, but one of the reasons Dr Moseley took longer to find is the state of his remains after exposure to hot sun (you can find more details yourself online about the speed of this process in the heat). Many people unfamiliar with decompensation will not know what they are looking for.

What clothing did he disappear in? Muted? Red etc is easier to find.

I suspect they will find him eventually but may have to use cadaver dogs at this stage - I find it very unlikely that Jay is still alive but for everybody’s sakes and especially his family’s I hope almost he is being held somewhere.

I have found another possilbe reason as to why he may have wandered from the road, to get something called a Water Taxi - a boat which operates between the inaccessible beaches and the towns. There is one called the Masca Express. It's a boat service which goes between Masca Beach and the port of Los Gigantes. The service is currently closed due to the ongoing search, but it seems to operate quite frequently. Although he didn't mention this to his friend, he may have been about to before the phone cut out.
That's a definite possibility. He'd have needed to set off in a different direction and go down a different valley (Barranco de Masca) to the valley he's more likely to have ended up in. That would account for why he'd have continued pressing on after the initial trail ran out unaware that he was in the wrong place.

Exactly this, I was going to mention it as we took this trip.

Although when we went the bridge/jetty to the boat was damaged and you couldnt get onto the beach unless you swam. They also do canoe tours which we did - you travel along the coast here and stop off on the private beaches. You often find a boat with anchor down enjoying the sun as you can see dolphins in this spot.

The walk to that beach is very hard on a hot day without water. He would of certainly come to the elements if he was walking there midday.

Another mention - there is actually a tunnel that goes through the cliff but thats located a bit further down - quite a walk away from where he is. Its been closed for maintenance / damaged but theres videos on youtube of people exploring it.

You can see this video the mountains and such.

Thought the 'need a drink' in the call was interesting. Whenever I went to an event like that I was absolutely gasping for a drink after so as soon as I got back to an apartment i'd neck loads and wouldn't feel like the need for a drink for a while even though i'd still be extremely dehydrated. Now perhaps he was drinking alcohol when he got back, perhaps he planned to get some water from a shop who knows but seems a little odd to set off walking and only shortly later bring up in a call you need a drink (assuming he meant water)

From the Independent article:

Speaking to the Mirror, Lucy Law said: “We need British police here. I just want to find my mate. He’s been missing three days. It’s not looking good now. We feel as though it’s down to us to find him and that we’re doing more than the police.
“The police here don’t speak English and don’t even have a translator after three days. I feel like they’re fobbing me off. They’re still asking me the same questions as when I first reported Jay missing.”
She added: “The two boys that he was last with have left the country. They need to be questioned by British police.”

Thought the 'need a drink' in the call was interesting. Whenever I went to an event like that I was absolutely gasping for a drink after so as soon as I got back to an apartment i'd neck loads and wouldn't feel like the need for a drink for a while even though i'd still be extremely dehydrated. Now perhaps he was drinking alcohol when he got back, perhaps he planned to get some water from a shop who knows but seems a little odd to set off walking and only shortly later bring up in a call you need a drink (assuming he meant water)
If he's went to buy cigarettes in the morning it's strange that he didn't buy water then too, or go buy water before he went for the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo