Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did he buy the cigarettes from? I've totally the missed mention of a shop
In this article it states that his friend said to Sky News that he went to buy cigarettes:

This article from Sky News states only that he went out to smoke and then came back in and said he wanted to go home: Jay Slater: British teen missing in Tenerife had cut his leg and didn't know where he was, friend says

Either way it does indicate that the people who's apartment he was at were awake when he left.

In this article it states that his friend said to Sky News that he went to buy cigarettes:

This article from Sky News states only that he went out to smoke and then came back in and said he wanted to go home: Jay Slater: British teen missing in Tenerife had cut his leg and didn't know where he was, friend says

Either way it does indicate that the people who's apartment he was at were awake when he left.
Thank you, I wondered how I could have missed that he went to a shop. Good to have it backed up with a MSM link

To be honest, the Sun is generally seen as unreliable and they seem to be the only ones that state he went out to buy cigarettes rather than just going out to smoke one.
There is a logic perhaps of the reason he wanted to get home is he was running low on cigarettes went out to buy some and couldn’t get any, so decided to head off thinking he would be home relatively quickly to purchase more.

I have found another possilbe reason as to why he may have wandered from the road, to get something called a Water Taxi - a boat which operates between the inaccessible beaches and the towns. There is one called the Masca Express. It's a boat service which goes between Masca Beach and the port of Los Gigantes. The service is currently closed due to the ongoing search, but it seems to operate quite frequently. Although he didn't mention this to his friend, he may have been about to before the phone cut out.

Oh wow good point. Never knew this!

Thank you for the transcription.
I don't know what to make of that. They must think it's a very real possibility he's being held? Or covering all bases?
I think his poor mum just doesn't know what to think and her mind is scared of anything and everything, realistic or not. It's a normal panic reaction IMHO. Those messages she was sent were horrible and would naturally make her concerned that they could be real. It was probably a mean joke and I hope the UK police will track down the person responsible and make sure they don't have any connections in Tenerife and maybe charge them with sending threatening messages.

I have found another possilbe reason as to why he may have wandered from the road, to get something called a Water Taxi - a boat which operates between the inaccessible beaches and the towns. There is one called the Masca Express. It's a boat service which goes between Masca Beach and the port of Los Gigantes. The service is currently closed due to the ongoing search, but it seems to operate quite frequently. Although he didn't mention this to his friend, he may have been about to before the phone cut out.
If he had tried to do this he would have been seen at the barriers / visitor centre it’s open from 8.00 am and walking tours start from 8.30. Another place you would think would have CCTV and he would have been spotted if he had tried to enter. The boat isn’t running as the jetty is broken and not due to searches in that area.

The Airbnb where missing teenager Jay Slater spent his final night before going missing on the island of Tenerife has been revealed.

The two-bedroom property called Casa Abuela Tina costs £40 a night and was rented to two British men who have since left the island.

Set in the village of Masca about 20 miles from the party spot of Playa Americas, it has been seen as an unusual spot for a young person to holiday in.

The property has spectacular views over Buenavista del Norte and is an hour's drive from the main resort along mountain roads.

There is no suggestion the property's owners nor the British men involved have anything to do with the teenager's disappearance

MailOnline understands Jay asked a neighbour what time a bus left for Playa and then decided to walk home after being told he had missed it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240620_132411_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240620_132411_Maps.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 44
Found a much clearer topography map of the area with walking routes shown
So they are searching the path from the viewpoint to the beach and all that surrounding valley having watched the news reports on tv- which is the path they have always focused on and was the last ping, although watching the interview with Lucy on ITV that was now at 8.00am- The third time quoted????? Surely they have checked the webcam and confirmed he even started on that trail and are not just relying on a pin (that I have now realised possibly wasnt sent from Jay, but taken by Lucy- as someone on the Facebook group said it would say “me” above if he took the screenshot- don’t use it so I don’t know for certain hopefully someone else is more familiar with it, others have also said it would show a low battery if it was his phone). From the news report I just watched close to the viewpoint it looks like wherever you are in that valley you can see a road or clusters of buildings as well, so doesn’t match that he’s completely lost and can’t see any civilisation to go to. The more I read and watch, the hazier and more confused Lucy’s statements are becoming. I don’t for a second think she was involved, but I think her narrative is altering as she tries to say the right things to get things in the media and is possibly altering her recollections as she goes. I wonder how awake she was when she originally got the phone call, or if she was half asleep and it cut off before her brain was completely awake and registering what was being relayed to her.

I agree, this is the most logical explanation. I think after taking drugs he felt full of energy but after a while the terrain got more difficult. When he attempted to retrace his steps, he got more lost, because a lot of the paths look the same. It's likely he went down in altitude, instead of up, into the shade, which could be why he said he is "surrounded by mountains". Whereas if he went up, he would see that he is not far from settlements.

People have compared this to the Michael Mosley case, but this young man has a big physical advantage compared to an older person and this climate is more favourable for survival, but it involves finding a water source. They do exist here (See image taken from Flickr of the Masca ravine), but getting down to it could be dangerous. His family have described him as street wise, but being street wise is no use in this landscape.
Respectfully, I don't think he had an advantage at all. We have no idea how long he'd been up. We don't know how much booze he drank or what drugs he ingested or smoked. We don't know why he didn't stay on the road if the buses ran at a fairly regular basis. What we do know is he had a phone battery that was quickly running out of juice. We know the general area he may have been in since the the individuals he left with the night before have come forward. We know he was concerned enough about dehydration since he stated as much to his friend Lucy. We know he didn't have any kind of sun protection, whether that was a hat or umbrella.

Almost everything that we do know is enough to suggest misadventure, very similar to Michael Mosely, who was a doctor, but one who promoted fasting but also didn't have any water, also didn't have a phone and didn't embrace the cardinal rule of anyone who is lost is to stay put.

Where Jay was reminds me of a woman a couple of years ago in Arizona who went hiking very unprepared with a man, a cop, who she had met online. They were hiking just before noon when she felt faint and felt she couldn't carry on. Like a jerk, he just left and continued on way, expecting her to find her way back. Again, no preparation, no water, no sun protection. She made her way to some houses which is where she was found. Unfortunately, those home were owned by snowbirds, who only spend time there in the winter months. I feel that the could be the same problem that Jay may have found: that a lot of those homes were vacant, not only because the winter season was done, but because the EU changed the rules regarding how long UK citizens can stay in Europe. It's now only 90 days so many of those homes are being abandoned by owners trying to sell. The citizens of Tenerife are very onboard with the rule changes since they felt their island was being bought out under them. That's fallout from Brexit.

Jay was last heard from on Monday morning when he told a friend he planned to walk back from near Masca to his accommodation at Playa de las Americas after missing a bus. “That would take him more than a day,” confirmed the worker, who did not wish to give her name. “If he was walking from Masca I guess he was walking on the road,” she added. “There’s no trails that take you from Santiago de Teide [the first town on the way to Playa de las Americas] so you would have to walk on the road.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper