Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s true but at least in my experience I can be completely sober and gather nothing from Spanish even though I know plenty of Spanish words. If it’s too fast, if Im tired, or actually especially if the speaker is using a mix of Spanish and English and I am not sure which language to listen for. Granted I have ADHD and my auditory processing is slow regardless of language. But hungover and/or sleep deprived that might be comparable. Not that it matters immensely at this point, I just think it’s possible he didn’t gather a darn thing she said to him.
Bbm

Me too. I am in the Upper Intermediate level in German(B2 borderline C1) and when I am confronted with regional dialects like Kolsch and Bonnsch I am immediately struggling. I find it difficult to parse the language. I suspect the glasgow accent does that with a lot of fluent English speaking foreigners too.

I don't think it's relevant anymore and so this will be my last speculative post about his decision making, but he may have headed down on the road (in the wrong direction) and then down into the bush because he may have just thought that that's where his hotel location was. He may have not realised that he wasn't anywhere near _that_ beach where he wanted to be and just set off towards the beach.

In the article I just shared it makes passing mention of searching around the apartment and village- during the live news on BBC at 1.00 they said the search had begun around the property and behind it and that the search teams were saying they didn’t really know where to look as they had no last sighting and kept radioing to ask where to go next. This would perhaps be why they haven’t done any press releases as they really aren’t sure and have little to no evidence of where he actually was so nothing to share with the general public.
ETA and ITV on tv are reporting the search has moved to the water. They obviously feel 4 days of searching the area they have been in has covered it as well as possible and are now thinking about other options.

Last edited:
I think he was walking in the wrong direction because he didn’t realize traffic drove on the right and not the left. That is a very simple explanation. He probably hadn’t paid attention to that or not ridden in a car before the previous night (in the dark, when his mental state was altered) and it’s his first trip overseas. At only 19, he just doesn’t have the life experience to make all good decisions.
But the neighbour said she drove passed him, so he would of noticed which way traffic goes

In the article I just shared it makes passing mention of searching around the apartment and village- during the live news on BBC at 1.00 they said the search had begun around the property and behind it and that the search teams were saying they didn’t really know where to look as they had no last sighting and kept radioing to ask where to go next. This would perhaps be why they haven’t done any press releases as they really aren’t sure and have little to no evidence of where he actually was so nothing to share with the general public.
What about where the neighbour saw him walking though? The Manchester Evening News had a live video this afternoon where they again said she saw him walking 1km to a mile over the mountain and showed in the live where that was viewed from the house. You’d think they’d be looking there!

But the neighbour said she drove passed him, so he would of noticed which way traffic goes
Possibly, but as the parent of a 23-year-old who I just packed for the beach like she was 5 because she traveled here with friends and not one of them had the braincells to plan and bring the right things…19-year-olds aren’t the most savvy sometimes.

Search focusing on three main ravines

I assume it is these three ravines, a 3 kilometre stretch as the crow flies but extremely challenging terrain on foot and arguably one of the most dangerous places to go missing on the entire island. Yet paradoxically the only location nearby where there is a trickle of water and shade.

Barranco de Masca is the most famous and used most by hikers, described as very challenging.
Barranco Juan Lopez is less frequented by hikers, described online as very difficult to follow the path and dangerous.
Barranco Del Retamar is not typically taken by hikers and I believe there is no planned route

View attachment 512106
Going by those pictures he could well have ended up in the sea after falling if he took one of those trails

I don’t know if this is allowed in forum, please delete if not, but I do wonder if he took his own life, drugs while bringing great highs can also bring extreme lows when the drugs start wearing off, I just can’t figure why he would veer off the coastal road path and end up in such terrain where there are cactuses and rocks/mountains, did occur to me he might have had an “episode” and decided to take his life by jumping off the cliffs

In the phone call, Lucy said that she strongly told Jay to turn around and go back to the accommodation. He might not have known exactly which way that was but he still might have tried to do what she suggested.

I don’t know if this is allowed in forum, please delete if not, but I do wonder if he took his own life, drugs while bringing great highs can also bring extreme lows when the drugs start wearing off, I just can’t figure why he would veer off the coastal road path and end up in such terrain where there are cactuses and rocks/mountains, did occur to me he might have had an “episode” and decided to take his life by jumping off the cliffs
With no knowledge of mental illness or previous attempts, I think its unlikely and would have to have been totally random in the moment decision, which is rare. He didn't plan to end up where he did. Its not usually an opportunistic decision.

Search focusing on three main ravines

I assume it is these three ravines, a 3 kilometre stretch as the crow flies but extremely challenging terrain on foot and arguably one of the most dangerous places to go missing on the entire island. Yet paradoxically the only location nearby where there is a trickle of water and shade.

Barranco de Masca is the most famous and used most by hikers, described as very challenging.
Barranco Juan Lopez is less frequented by hikers, described online as very difficult to follow the path and dangerous.
Barranco Del Retamar is not typically taken by hikers and I believe there is no planned route

View attachment 512106
Yes, you're absolutely spot-on with those three and the descriptions. From where he was seen and where he was pinged the Barranco de Masca is least likely as it would have required him turning back. Wild-card is if he turned back from his last known spot when it became clear the path was narrowing and his phone was running out of power, made it back to the road (not at all far) then turned off onto another path off the road again shortly after (hence no more sightings of him). There are options to do this. This would take him either west of those ravines or above the current focus of the search area. Unlikely but feasible.

We know he was looking at his GPS and I genuinely think he has looked for the "quickest" route DOWN. Which would not have been the road, had the terrain been manageable. I genuinely think he went off road on one of the trails and got lost/more injured/more dehydrated. He may not be a map expert and have understood fully what he was looking at, but theoretically in his state of mind seen, coast, down there, lets go, its close.

With no knowledge of mental illness or previous attempts, I think its unlikely and would have to have been totally random in the moment decision, which is rare. He didn't plan to end up where he did. Its not usually an opportunistic decision.
In the case of Dr Mosley he accidentally took a wrong turn and ended up where he did but in Jay’s case he strayed off a coastal road and ended up in dangerous terrain, presumably the coastal road that he was walking along is the road used by the buses so if he had kept to the road he would have been fine, I just can’t figure out why he left the main road and ended up in such terrain

We know he was looking at his GPS and I genuinely think he has looked for the "quickest" route DOWN. Which would not have been the road, had the terrain been manageable. I genuinely think he went off road on one of the trails and got lost/more injured/more dehydrated. He may not be a map expert and have understood fully what he was looking at, but theoretically in his state of mind seen, coast, down there, lets go, its close.
He hurt his leg on a cactus, after doing that would someone not think “hang on its a bit dangerous/dodgy up here” and headed back to the main road, I would have

If JS was only at the airbnb for a very short period of time, is it possible that he got in the car to go with the two men to get away from a situation/problem when he left the club/rave to go to the airbnb?

Last edited:
If JS was only at the airbnb for a very short period of time, is it possible that he got in the car to go with the two men to get away from a situation/problem?
Very unlikely as their neighbour drove past him walking down the main coastal road, alone

In the case of Dr Mosley he accidentally took a wrong turn and ended up where he did but in Jay’s case he strayed off a coastal road and ended up in dangerous terrain, presumably the coastal road that he was walking along is the road used by the buses so if he had kept to the road he would have been fine, I just can’t figure out why he left the main road and ended up in such terrain
Have you looked at the road and how many times it doubles back on itself? Desperation makes people make poor decisions. The road APPEARS longer, but unbeknownst to him was far safer. He is also a kid. And a city kid at that from what I can gather.

Just a point re drugs..
We have no confirmation that he imbibed any at all..
Nobody could consume the quantity of drugs being speculated without turning into a snowman, literally.
Drugs affect everyone differently. I was at a club named Heaven years ago. There was a big guy with a lot of leather who looked very poorly. I bought a bottle of water and tipped it over his head and alerted security. As I was leaning around 3am the same same (huge) bloke ran after me saying ‘ you Fxxking you!’

I was scared - my friends had gone to get a taxi. But he came up to me . Embraced me, and cried and thanked me. It was very moving. I still think about it.

I was so scared and then hugged!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member