Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm going to have to somewhat disagree with you on this. I too have personal experience with people close to me and I was totally oblivious to it. I'm not naive, and looking back I might have misread some pretty strong indicators, but based on my own experience I'm not going to assume anything about what somebody else knew.
100% this. Me too, that has been my experience. If not totally oblivious, then left with that unexplainable “what is going on here?” feeling. Then once you know for sure, or it is confirmed for you, it all makes sense. And you are much more alert to it the next time and it is clearer sooner. But you tend to give people you know and love the benefit of the doubt.

It took a looooong time for me to get here.

Investigation by the Sac County Sheriff's Department revealed that Schultz had been trucking for nearly 30 hours straight with hardly any rest, motivated to support his family and business.
It is believed by authorities that the combination of severe sleep deprivation and methamphetamine led to a medical emergency which led Schultz to abandon his truck and later succumb to the elements. It's important to note that this was not determined to be an overdose.

More from @Tippy Lynn 's link -

Local 5 would like to make it clear that it does not know whether or not Schultz had a history of drug-use.

The search for Schultz primarily investigated areas of shrubbery and vegetation in fields like fence lines and field borders. Officials said the field that his body was found in gave unique challenges that prevented detection with corn stalks camouflaging his body. In fact, the cornstalks in the field hid Schultz so well the farmhand who found his body couldn't see it until he was just 13 meters away while high up on a tractor.

Local 5 reached out to Jake Rowley with the Cajun Navy who has been speaking on behalf of the Schultz family.

Local 5 knows the family was previously considering getting a second, independent autopsy. At this time, they haven't commented if that is still their intentions.

Local 5 is working to confirm more details related to Schultz's death and will update this story as more information becomes available.

Investigation by the Sac County Sheriff's Department revealed that Schultz had been trucking for nearly 30 hours straight with hardly any rest, motivated to support his family and business.
It is believed by authorities that the combination of severe sleep deprivation and methamphetamine led to a medical emergency which led Schultz to abandon his truck and later succumb to the elements. It's important to note that this was not determined to be an overdose.

Yeah. People use stimulants to stay awake when they’re working more than the human body and brain can handle. I don’t see this as contradictory to his love of family and hardworking personality at all. He was pushing himself too hard and found something that could keep him going.

Driving for hours on end in a truck by yourself can be hypnotizing especially if you haven’t slept. I can definitely see men like David being more afraid of falling asleep behind the wheel than of using while driving. As long as they’re awake, driving is so automatic to them. They do it all the time. It isn’t lost on them that they’re controlling heavy machinery on roads where people are innocently driving to work or school.

John Oliver had done an episode of last week tonight on truck drivers and it explains how overworked they are and the insane states they end up driving in. It’s unreal but not rare.

Sleep deprivation plus stimulants could make you experience psychosis. Didn’t he also drink coffee that night? I mean I’ve thrown myself into anxiety attacks with just an extra cup of coffee before. He probably got too anxious to drive and tried to walk it off. But then what? Did he have a heart attack? Or did he just stay outside long enough for hypothermia. I wonder if he got disoriented and couldn’t get back to the truck. Or thought he needed to hide. That would also explain turning his truck and lights off which drivers typically would not do.

IMO the most likely issue, given all the facts presented is that he wasn't just disoriented but in a sleep deprivation and drug induced psychosis which might include some form of paranoia (explaining why he shut his truck down and turned the lights off) or just tripping out and parked up turned everything off so as he couldn't cause any harm.

The main issue for me was why he parked up and switched the engine and lights off as that's pretty reckless and endangering to oncoming traffic and would have been counter intuitive but he may not have been having any type of rational thought by that point, could have imagined that he'd finished work or believed he was fleeing / hiding from someone or just hallucinating so badly he had lost any agency over reality, in which case it's a miracle he parked up relatively safely.

JMO MOO

This whole case seems to be made of rubber.. Ever facet has seemed to stretch out to the max. Truck set in the way, in plain sight, unreported for hours. Search efforts were initiated, Cajun Navy to the rescue, then all died down and nothing. Bam; body found, in plain sight where searched previously, autopsy, then going to get another as "something is not right". Silence except for fund raising and requests for donations. Now, he is buried and everyday life seems to have been resumed; Sarah, Les Brown, Cajun Navy spokesman, LE, David's parents?
No push to review and demand some answers. Very weird.
If indeed the coordinates of where his body was found, according to the referenced death certificate per post 1,057 on this thread, are correct, then said location is approximately 650 feet from the road, including a driveway to a farm. The approximate view from that farm, looking toward that location, complete with corn stubble in the picture, is attached here. One can decide for oneself how well hidden a body would be 600 feet down those rows of stubble in that field. I wonder how many tractors, combines, tractor trailers, and other vehicles had gone in and out that driveway, looked across the road, and never saw this mans body.

When opening the google street view here, the location of his body is reported to be about halfway the distance to the corn still standing.

Another view of the field here...

If indeed the coordinates of where his body was found, according to the referenced death certificate per post 1,057 on this thread, are correct, then said location is approximately 650 feet from the road, including a driveway to a farm. The approximate view from that farm, looking toward that location, complete with corn stubble in the picture, is attached here. One can decide for oneself how well hidden a body would be 600 feet down those rows of stubble in that field. I wonder how many tractors, combines, tractor trailers, and other vehicles had gone in and out that driveway, looked across the road, and never saw this mans body.

When opening the google street view here, the location of his body is reported to be about halfway the distance to the corn still standing.

IMO it depends on the angle of your view and I think it’s probably pretty hard. If you look straight down the row, you might believe it would be completely obvious. If you step 2 feet in any direction, whatever you are potentially viewing out in that cornfield row might just not be seen any longer. Grid search is so imperative.

It’s also possible that searchers ignored the fact that he could be that close.

I would love to know the direction of travel the dog went in before he came off track. He very well could’ve given them a good idea of where to walk into the field. JMO

For this old boy, it's just....well....baffling. Maybe his body laid there all that time, not drawing attention, not to be too graphic. Drones, a plane, atv's, canines, foot patrols, the Cajun Navy, and then VOILA! Right there, within a mile of his truck, not in a fence row under brambles and briars, not in a ravine, not in a quarry hole, or cave, or box, or tunnel, two (U.S.) football fields in length off the road, directly across from a rural farm, he laid for months.

"Throughout the course of the investigation, the Sac County Sheriff’s Office — with the help of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation — has conducted searches for David using a patrol plane, drones, ATVs, cadaver dogs, and on-foot searches. Early in the investigation, the department also collaborated with the United Cajun Navy, a non-profit organization focused on disaster relief and search and rescue efforts."

This sounds like a perfect storm that led to disaster.

bbm
Was it this driveway to a farm, where the dogs stopped and didn't find the victims scent?

bbm
Was it this driveway to a farm, where the dogs stopped and didn't find the victims scent?
Interesting question, I don't recall reading this anywhere, it'd be nice to know a source though.

His wife says she suspects foul play, that things don't add up, and that she and doesn't want to really talk about how she feels about the investigation.

Authorities say no sign of foul play, and that his body could not be seen from a well traveled county road.

The Cajun Navy was told the field was already searched.

bbm
I don't think so. I was under the impression that it wasn't a driveway to a farm/house/buildings where the dogs stopped picking up the scent, but rather, right near where the truck was parked was an unpaved "field drive/entrance" into a different field.

I don't think so. I was under the impression that it wasn't a driveway to a farm/house/buildings where the dogs stopped picking up the scent, but rather, right near where the truck was parked was an unpaved "field drive/entrance" into a different field.
Maybe very well be. Thank you!
I just searched for the info, I remember, but couldn't find it (as always).

Not that it really matters at this point, but it's unknown how exactly he got from his truck to his final resting place. It's unknown when he took meth, specifically where, and whether he was alone or not. I always felt it was significant that the dogs tracked his scent to a field drive/entrance near where his truck was parked. Did he meet somebody there?

The man’s disappearance puzzled authorities and loved ones alike. A Facebook group dedicated to solving Schultz’s disappearance drew in 9,500 internet sleuths hoping to learn more about the situation or crack the case.

Schultz had driven for nearly 30 consecutive hours with little to no rest and suffered from extreme sleep deprivation, authorities said.
Investigators believe the exhaustion paired with drug use sparked a medical emergency, leading Schultz to abandon his truck and later die in the field.

Authorities said it was challenging to locate Schultz’s body due to “the vast size of the search area and environmental conditions.” Search operations focused on areas where someone could become trapped or seek refuge. Schultz’s body was discovered in a cornfield and was shielded from view by cornstalks.

Schultz is remembered in his obituary as a trucker who went “above and beyond” for customers, delivering loads with his dog Clint — named after Clint Eastwood — riding shotgun. The father and husband was a fan of old Westerns and was an avid outdoorsman.

The man’s disappearance puzzled authorities and loved ones alike. A Facebook group dedicated to solving Schultz’s disappearance drew in 9,500 internet sleuths hoping to learn more about the situation or crack the case.

Schultz had driven for nearly 30 consecutive hours with little to no rest and suffered from extreme sleep deprivation, authorities said.
Investigators believe the exhaustion paired with drug use sparked a medical emergency, leading Schultz to abandon his truck and later die in the field.

Authorities said it was challenging to locate Schultz’s body due to “the vast size of the search area and environmental conditions.” Search operations focused on areas where someone could become trapped or seek refuge. Schultz’s body was discovered in a cornfield and was shielded from view by cornstalks.

Schultz is remembered in his obituary as a trucker who went “above and beyond” for customers, delivering loads with his dog Clint — named after Clint Eastwood — riding shotgun. The father and husband was a fan of old Westerns and was an avid outdoorsman.
Where was his dog that night he went missing?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back