TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched this news report, which has a reporter reporting from outside of the lift station. It provides a good look at the building and manhole covers.

What is interesting is that where the initial remains were found and the investigation has been confirmed to be continued at the Greenwood Waste Water plant which I believe is 7 miles away. There is video of CSI arriving at the second location late last night.

I wonder what that might mean about the Greenwood Waste Water location?

His remains have been taken to the University of North Texas, which is the missing persons clearing house for Texas according to the video.

What is interesting is that where the initial remains were found and the investigation has been confirmed to be continued at the Greenwood Waste Water plant which I believe is 7 miles away. There is video of CSI arriving at the second location late last night.

His remains have been taken to the University of North Texas, which is the missing persons clearing house for Texas according to the video.
Would the second location be connected because of drifting? I don’t quite get it if it’s 7 miles away….

Could the investigation at the main plant location be looking at work-related documents, perhaps verifying if any manholes on the site were in active use the night of the disappearance, perhaps left open, etc.

jmo

It has been confirmed that Caleb's father, Randy Harris, has been made aware for the findings and is waiting on DNA results. However, there is still no evidence that these remains are linked to Caleb Harris' disappearance.

So Caleb’s father must have submitted DNA from something belonging to Caleb, or family DNA? I wonder how long that will take for identification?

It has been confirmed that Caleb's father, Randy Harris, has been made aware for the findings and is waiting on DNA results. However, there is still no evidence that these remains are linked to Caleb Harris' disappearance.

So Caleb’s father must have submitted DNA from something belonging to Caleb, or family DNA? I wonder how long that will take for identification?
I do not expect it would take more than a few days.

I do not know how much the condition of the body/its level of deterioration impacts the ease of obtaining those results/length of time.

However, I do know that though Ben’s (my friend since childhood who was murdered) body was found burning in the desert, they had no difficulty identifying him quickly (getting a DNA match using DNA from his toothbrush & w/dental records). The results came within 3 or 4 days (IIRC).

We can only pray they will be able to determine, swiftly, whether (or not) this is Caleb, as well.

**Editing to add all of the above is MOO/based on my own experience.**

I do not expect it would take more than a few days.

I do not know how much the condition of the body/its level of deterioration impacts the ease of obtaining those results/length of time.

However, I do know that though Ben’s (my friend since childhood who was murdered) body was found burning in the desert, they had no difficulty identifying him quickly (getting a DNA match using DNA from his toothbrush & w/dental records). The results came within 3 or 4 days (IIRC).

We can only pray they will be able to determine, swiftly, whether (or not) this is Caleb, as well.
Do we know the remains include enough to match dental records? Sorry to be graphic or out of the loop if this is something known and I missed it.

jmo

If they just took a DNA sample from his father, they are probably at least starting with just Y chromosome analysis. That should be very quick and easy.

I just watched this news report, which has a reporter reporting from outside of the lift station. It provides a good look at the building and manhole covers.

Thank you for the link.

There are three rows of barbed wire across the top of the fencing and what looks like a lock on the gate at the 1:34 minute mark. Was the gate locked the night Caleb went missing? MOO

Interesting article about a body found in a wet well in Oregon, 2015.

[...]

Accessing the closed system isn't easy.

"The wastewater collection system is entirely enclosed, separate from anything else, even separate from septage deliveries," Breitenstein said.

A locked fence ringed with barbed wire surrounds the Fillmore Pumping Station off Briarcliff Lane where the body was found.

Once inside the fence, access to the vault where the body was found requires a key, too.

"At the stations, we have vault covers; we keep it locked," Breitenstein said. "The station is secured either by fence or the vaults are always locked, so those are really well secured."

The only other ways into the city's closed sewer system: via manhole covers, which require special tools and techniques to open - or down a drain at a business or home.

[...]

Do we know the remains include enough to match dental records? Sorry to be graphic or out of the loop if this is something known and I missed it.

jmo
When the chief of police was asked about the nature of the human remains recovered, and if all of the remains were recovered, the chief answered "Almost. We recovered human remains."

So clearly some of the human remains were not recovered. The chief was careful not to say more while answering this question.

Edited to add link -

Last edited:
Maybe they have to be thorough and look to see if any human remains made it to that point?? :(
I absolutely agree with this. IMO, there is a wider issue around possible contamination or the risk of foreign matter causing equipment seize-ups elsewhere in the waste water management system, or down the line, so to speak.

It's just my guess that these systems are mapped in detail and there will be a way to confirm that this particular lift station sends the flow onward to the Greenwood treatment plant.

What's really eluding me is how the remains came to be there in the first place, especially if they were discovered on the outgoing side of the system (wet well chamber) rather than the incoming side (gravity chamber.)

JMO, what seems most plausible to me right now is they were put there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darkogoose