VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mistrial BUT judge set date of July 22nd to ‘see what she will do next’. Not good for defense.
I am really concerned she will give a directed verdict (she will have the decision) and find KR guilty. MOO. Best outcome formally dismiss the case….
I don't think a judge can have a directed guilty verdict.

Still believe JoK was not hit by a car, CW can re-try her but they’ll lose again, and it could be an even worse loss for them if the FBI releases more of their findings

Albert doesn’t leave his house or go to JoK funeral even though he went to a cop funeral of someone he didn’t even know earlier

Higgins mysteriously going to work for 15 hours and going to a military base to destroy his SIM card and phone

Albert’s “rehoming” their dog, probably had it euthanized my opinion only

Albert’s busting up the concrete in their basement and having it replaced

Albert’s replacing the doors leading outside from the basement

Literally no bruising or broken bones on JoK when the CW said he was struck on his arm and thrown 30ft

Medical expert doing the autopsy and saying it wasn’t a homicide

A literal FBI investigation, now we don’t know the whole scope but we do know they provided materials to the defense and prosecution

Prosecution not using any of the FBI materials provided to them and not calling the FBI hired experts

FBI hired experts analysis that JoK was not hit by a car

Chain of command of evidence was not there we can’t prove that’s the same evidence because they (MSP) literally didn’t do the proper work and protocols

Proctor, just everything he did, he’s a vile person MOO, and did not come even close to doing even an amateur investigation

I could still go on and on, how she wasn’t just found NG is wild to me, but, the CW will not win ever on this case it would only be more embarrassing for them

Just look at the smirk on Karen Read's face!!! I don't like this woman!!! Why? Because I feel she is responsible for John O'Keefe's murder. Can't say if it was intentional, but I feel she did it. I would have been the holdout. Never compromise my conviction. This is not a win for Karen Read as all the jurors did not feel Karen Read was not guilty. <modsnip>

I’m pretty sure going to jail for ZERO days is a win when you were facing at least TWENTY years but that’s JMO. I might have some wires crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
#KarenReadTrial UPDATE

The CW has issued a press release stating that it WILL re-try Karen Read. “First, we thank the O'Keefe family for their commitment and dedication to this long process. They maintained sight of the true core of this case -- to find justice for John O'Keefe," the district attorney's office said in a statement. "The Commonwealth intends to re-try the case."

No surprise, mistrial. Those previous notes made it clear that a verdict just wasn’t possible. I can’t wait to learn about the breakdown in regards to guilty/not guilty.

It does sound like multiple people were for guilty through, so not one or two holdouts.
I’m wondering if it might be 9/3? I’ll be surprised if it more than that though.

I do NOT understand this. They couldn’t prove that JOK was hit by a vehicle, PERIOD. It seems that peoples opinions on policing, authority, and potential corruption overrode hard facts. I wonder if the defense pushing the police corruption theory ‘caused’ this, as people tend to not want to think that those policing our communities could be corrupt and/or acting in their own interests.
Similarly, I wonder if a mistrial would have occurred had JOK been a civilian rather than LE.
JMO IMO
How can the truth cause a mistrial? The police were corrupt.

"deeply help convictions" "firmly held moral beliefs" it seems some came in with less than open minds?
Exactly.
Beliefs don't belong in court, fact does.

The wording of the jury's statement is very interesting. Each time it emphasized that they definitely understood the evidence.

If they understand the evidence, they know the CW didn't prove their case, and the only moral decision is to vote NG.

I wonder if one holdout juror crafted the letter rather than a consensus. As if the rest of the jury said: "Hey, if you want to hold onto that opinion you should be the one to explain it to the judge." By emphasizing that they definitely understood the evidence, it makes me think that the writer did not.

#KarenReadTrial UPDATE

The CW has issued a press release stating that it WILL re-try Karen Read. “First, we thank the O'Keefe family for their commitment and dedication to this long process. They maintained sight of the true core of this case -- to find justice for John O'Keefe," the district attorney's office said in a statement. "The Commonwealth intends to re-try the case."
They might have some problems finding new witnesses since the ones put on the stand all lied, haha

For those who were unable to watch the live feed, I have transcribed the jury's final note as best as I could understand it, as it was read aloud by Judge Cannone:

Judge Cannone, despite our rigorous efforts, we continue to find ourselves at an impasse. Our perspectives on the evidence are starkly divided.

Some members of the jury firmly believe that the evidence surpasses the burden of proof, establishing the elements of the charges beyond a reasonable doubt.

Conversely, others find the evidence fails to meet this standard and does not sufficiently establish the necessary elements of the charges.

The deep division is not due to a lack of effort or diligence, but rather a sincere adherence to our individual principals and moral convictions. To continue to deliberate would be futile, and only serve to force us to compromise these deeply held beliefs.

This note was just as well authored as the previous jury note.

@BienickWCVB

The jury has sent another note.

We are now back in the courtroom. Both teams of lawyers are here. Read family is here. The O'Keefe family is coming up the courthouse steps.

We don't yet know what the note says. This is the first time we've been back in the courthouse since the judge gave the Tuey-Rodriguez instructions. Any further deadlock will lead to dismissal.

"Line 'em up," the court officers says of the jurors. The judge enters the courtroom.

"All right, the jury is at an impasse," the judge says.

The jurors enter. Some have stern looks on their faces. All look tired.

The judge declares a mistrial.

Some members of the O'Keefe family are crying and hugging. His mother Peg is wiping her nose. His brother Paul is hanging his head.
Think these are getting hung up or something. We're way past that.

Shes acting like shes not guilty perhap's bc she is not guilty ? There was always a chance a G verdict could have been reached so there is prob relief that she is free and not in cuffs being walked to the slammer. Her parents are relieved and Karen is relieved - are they not allowed to be relieved?

IMO that courtroom was packed full of hate for Karen Okeefe before during and after testimony -seething hatred towards KR from JOK's family every day of that trial. The way John's brother stared at her every day. If there were open minds in their gallery I did not see any. They decided she was guilty and that was the end of it.

Boy this trial was an eye opener.
JMO
It's shocking isn't it. Though proctor and co, the cw and Lally are responsible for misleading the O'Keefe family. They really have had no choice but to believe KR did it because that's what the authorities told them. But yeah the seething hatred is disturbing. The whole atmosphere even through the screen was toxic. And Proctor on the stand just added to it, The poor jury. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice