OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You know, some of the events that haven’t been explained at trial or in the documentaries were the surveillance and arrest of James Manley. LE hounded JM, his sister and father when they should have been stopping the Wagners from escaping to Alaska.

Pretrial dates for Billy's trial in January.
06/17/2024"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Judge: JUNK, ROBERTEvent: PRE-TRIALDate: 08/02/2024 Time: 01:00 PM
06/17/2024"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Judge: JUNK, ROBERTEvent: PRE-TRIALDate: 09/05/2024 Time: 01:00 PM
06/17/2024"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Judge: JUNK, ROBERTEvent: PRE-TRIALDate: 10/07/2024 Time: 01:00 PM
06/17/2024"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Judge: JUNK, ROBERTEvent: PRE-TRIALDate: 11/06/2024 Time: 01:00 PM
06/17/2024"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Judge: JUNK, ROBERTEvent: PRE-TRIALDate: 12/16/2024 Time: 01:00 PM
06/17/2024"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Judge: JUNK, ROBERTEvent: PRE-TRIALDate: 01/03/2025 Time: 09:00 AM
Sorry I've been gone from the thread for awhile, since GWIV's conviction. Is the Judge Junk the former County Prosecutor or someone related to him in any way?

Sorry I've been gone from the thread for awhile, since GWIV's conviction. Is the Judge Junk the former County Prosecutor or someone related to him in any way?
Yes that is him. They only use his name as a default because he is the judge now. He will not be presiding/involved in any of Billy's case.

June 18, 2024
Late post. Dates already posted upthread.

@pattinewberry

The new judge in the #PikeCountyMassacre case of #BillyWagner has set dates for six pre-trial hearings in advance of the anticipated Jan. 6, 2025, start of Wagner's trial. 1/4

The hearings will be Aug. 2, Sept. 5, Oct. 7, Nov. 6 and Dec. 16, all at 1 p.m., in the Pike County Courthouse in Waverly, Ohio. The final hearing is scheduled for Jan. 3 at 9 a.m., per order of visiting Judge Jonathan P. Hein. 2/4

Hein, a retired judge of the Darke County Court of Common Pleas, was assigned to Wagner's case last month. He replaced visiting judge R. Alan Corbin, who stepped down for health reasons. 3/4

Hein has also been assigned to other Wagner cases -- son Jake, who pleaded guilty to killing five of the eight Pike County victims in 2016; wife Angela, who pleaded guilty to lesser offenses in the case; and son George, convicted of 22 counts in the case in 2022. 4/4

You know, some of the events that haven’t been explained at trial or in the documentaries were the surveillance and arrest of James Manley. LE hounded JM, his sister and father when they should have been stopping the Wagners from escaping to Alaska.

LE also told JM that he flunked a lie detector test and JM, because of LE harassment, lost his job.

They hauled BJM and others out of bed at 3:00am which was, I believe, to interrogate them when they were confused and tired.

So if you discover a murder scene do not expect a thank you from police. Hire a lawyer who will refuse to allow this mistreatment.

2 Cents

Friday, August 2nd:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 10am ET) – OH – Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie’s fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.’s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden’s baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) - *George Washington “Billy” Wagner III (47/now 53) (name changed [11/5/86] from William Emmanuel) [Jake’s father] indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (12/4/18) with 8 counts of aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 4th degree obstructing justice, 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Pike County (Butler County jail)
Trial was set to begin on 5/6/24 was continued on 1/6/25. @ 9am (should last 8 weeks).
Presiding Judge Jonathan P. Hein replaced (on 5/29/24) Judge R. Alan Corbin [health reasons]. Prosecutor Angela R. Canepa & defense attorneys Mark C. Collins & Thomas F, Hayes.

Case & court information from 12/4/18 thru 2/20/24 reference post #567 here:
'https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...ner-family-members-arrested-88.674961/page-29

2/23/24 Update: The attorneys consulted with Judge R. Alan Corbin by phone this afternoon. No word yet on whether the start date of the trial, now May 6, will stick. At the request of case attorneys, who want 4 or 5 matters reviewed in open court, visiting Judge Corbin set a Status conference hearing on 3/7/24 @ 12pm. Warrant for removal from Butler County jail on 3/7/24 for status hearing.
3/7/24 Update: Attorneys out from chambers conference. Hearing starts with Brown County Common Pleas Court Judge R. Alan Corbin indicating defense wants continuation of trial begin date from May 6 “for a variety of reasons”. Wagner’s lawyer Mark Collins states his co-counsel recovering from knee surgery & another co-counsel just had a baby. Collins also has a death penalty case. Wanted to get to court in advance. Can’t be ready for May 6 – especially going through 16K pages of transcriptions. Special prosecutor Canepa says victims’ family dealing with this & wanting justice since 2016. Formally objects to continuance. Asks if continuance is granted, another one not be given & also accommodations given to prosecution witnesses. Judge Corbin says good reasons for continuance. Reluctantly grants request for continuance of May 6 trial date. Discussed possible dates in chambers – earliest date get everyone in court 1/6/25.
3/12/24 Docket update: Costs for notices mailed. Entry-Granting defendant’s Motion to Continue trial date. The above styled matter is hereby rescheduled for a jury trial on 1/6/25; defendant Wagner, by & thru counsel continues to waive the right to a speedy trial for the period of this continuance as to the pending charges.
6/3/24 Docket update: Certificate of Assignment: Jonathan P. Hein, a retired Judge of the Darke County Court of Common Pleas, General & Domestic Relations Div., is assigned effective 5/29/24 to preside in the Pike County Common Pleas to hear case #2018CR000157, State vs Wagner III & to conclude any proceedings in which the Judge participated.
6/17/24 Update: Pretrial hearings on 8/2/24 @ 10am, 9/5/24, 10/7/24, 11/6/24 & 12/16/24 all at 1pm & final pretrial hearing on 1/3/25 @ 9am. 7/31/24 Docket update: Warrant for removal of defendant from Butler County jail on 8/2/24 for pretrial hearing.
*George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 32) – Guilty of all charges on 11/30/22 & sentenced on 12/19/22 to 8 Life sentences without the possibility of parole to run consecutively for the murders plus 121 years on other charges. Appeal filed 1/26/23.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 53) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22; Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 31) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will testify at the trials & will be sentenced after GW3 trial.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 71) – Motion hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty to all charges. Will testify at the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 82) – 6/26/19: Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

Last edited:
Today WLWT featured a story about Billy's court appearance.
Billy was wearing his Prison Orange uniform with his hands clearly handcuffed in front. i wonder why he wasn't wearing street clothes with the zapper vest underneath?

JMO

ETA - I wonder when this tape was taken?

Last edited:
Link to Live Feed on WKRC

ETA: Camera feed has been set up and linked live at the Pike Co Courthouse, but no sound, no activity yet.

When I see the camera trained on the Pike Co Courthouse painting of Lady Justice, I expect to hear Judge Deering's voice "You may be seated".

Last edited:
A quick update of Billy's upcoming hearings, etc. from Pike County Court View

2018CR000157 STATE OF OHIO -vs- WAGNER, III, GEORGE WASHINGTON​

08/02/2024 10:00 AMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
09/05/2024 01:00 PMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
10/07/2024 01:00 PMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
11/06/2024 01:00 PMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
12/16/2024 01:00 PMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
01/03/2025 09:00 AMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
01/06/2025 09:00 AMJURY TRIALJUNK, ROBERT

Billy is still housed at Butler County Jail in Hamilton, OH

Judge Jonathan P Hein is the presiding judge

06/03/2024CERTIFICATE OF ASSIGNMENT -- JONATHAN P. HEIN, A RETIRED JUDGE OF THE DARKE COUNTY COURT OF COMMON PLEAS, GENERAL AND DOMESTIC RELATIONS DIVISION, IS ASSIGNED EFFECTIVE MAY 29, 2024, TO PRESIDE IN THE PIKE COUNTY COMMON PLEAS TO HEAR CASE 2018CR000157, STATE OF OHIO V GEORGE WAGNER III AND TO CONCLUDE ANY PROCEEDINGS IN WHICH THE JUDGE PARTICIPATED

Last edited:
Ok, sound is on, people coming into courtroom

I'll try to give a live transcription of the proceedings. It's usually a big fragmented, skips some things, includes mistakes in spelling, minimal punctuation, etc.

Billy is in the courtroom. Others include Tony Rhoden and other members of the Rhoden family.

Here we go, Judge Hein coming in. He's giving standard information, introducing himself.
The live feed is cutting out some, hopefully fixed.

Judge seems friendly. He's explaining to Billy where he's from. Darke County is also rural. He's getting familiar with the case. Court staff has been helpful, has been talking to the lawyers. A lot of moving parts in the case. Needs to get up to speed on what to get done moving forward. It will be a lot of work. That's what they've been doing.

Lawyers tell him what needs to happen next and how fast. Lots of pending motions. 51 motions, some decided. Lawyers will give him a priority list of motions, etc. to resolve first. Burden is on Billy's lawyers to suggest a priority.

Last edited:
Cont: Judge Hein discussion with lawyers and Billy.
They've scheduled appearances every month. That's what it will take to get ready for trial. They have a schedule, may work in additional appearances some months. Half a day isn't always enough.

Defense said trial hearing order ok. Something else ok with AC. Lawyers know the case better than him right now. He doesn't need to know all the evidence, defense wouldn't want that. There's a filter where certain info comes across to judge on what evidence he sees right now, to stay objective. Billy's lawyers know whats better.

Feed still cutting out.

Talking philosophy with lawyers. How long will the trial go (cutting out). Won't know til they're done.
Ugh, cutting out feed is frustrating. Something about 404B evidence. He wants the lawyers to work on 404 b issues, what gets scheduled first. AC says it sounds fair.

Now he's addressing the victims family. He knows they'll be there. Good communication between family and state. Victims have right to separate counsel, have their rights. He will pay attention to that. He usually hears from the state first, but if they want to contact him directly there's a way to do that. Giving them idea of what was discussed in chambers re evidence, etc.

Nothing more for state or defense. Invites Billy to contact him through lawyers if anything comes up. Same for victims, if they need anything contact him through lawyers. He tries to be responsive. Can't take emails. Don't call cell phone, but do go through attorneys/state. He does care and wants to know if there are any concerns.

No further comments from attorneys for the record. Thanks PCSO for getting Billy there and back. Judge's staff in PC has been good to work with. Helpful, makes his job go faster and they've helped.

Adjourned

2018CR000157 STATE OF OHIO -vs- WAGNER, III, GEORGE WASHINGTON​

08/02/2024 10:00 AMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
09/05/2024 01:00 PMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
10/07/2024 01:00 PMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
11/06/2024 01:00 PMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
12/16/2024 01:00 PMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
01/03/2025 09:00 AMPRE-TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
01/06/2025 09:00 AMJURY TRIALJUNK, ROBERT
Re-posting this here for future reference. Billy's upcoming schedule of hearings. The judge says there may be more scheduled as they try to get motions handled, etc. before the trial.

Judge Hein seems like a very friendly and skilled judge. Seems very fair to both sides. He does have a lot to absorb and study, its a huge, complicated case. State and defense seem satisfied with the way he's handling Billy's case.

for GW4

Appeal docket update:

Date Docket Text
07/08/2024 ENTRY -- APPELLANT'S MOTION FOR SUPPLEMENTAL BRIEFING IS DENIED
COPIES FILED AND MAILED TO COUNSEL, 4 TO COURT OF APPEALS

07/08/2024 ENTRY -- APPELLANT'S MOTION FOR PRESERVATION OF THE RECORD IS DENIED BECAUSE ADEQUATE PROTECTIONS EXIST FOR THE MAINTENANCE AND PRESERVATION OF EVIDENCE AND EXHIBITS IN BOTH THE ORC AND THE RULES OF SUPERINTENDENCE, THIS COURT DECLINES TO GRANT APPEALLANT'S REQUEST FOR FURTHER RESTRICTIONS
COPIES FILED MAILED TO COUNSEL, 4 TO COURT OF APPEALS

link: https://cpcourt.pikecounty.oh.gov/e...C1AlnlBEdk*J5s3BbV04W0g7odM18e55KjCqaDJKJWPNA

Today WLWT featured a story about Billy's court appearance.
Billy was wearing his Prison Orange uniform with his hands clearly handcuffed in front. i wonder why he wasn't wearing street clothes with the zapper vest underneath?

JMO

ETA - I wonder when this tape was taken?

Billy was wearing prison orange uniform in court today. He looked like he had a fairly new haircut. I was busy and didn't see him walk in. True, he usually wears street clothes in court appearances.

.#BillyWagner returned to Pike County Common Pleas court today for a brief hearing in the #PikeCountyMassacre case. Wagner is scheduled for trial in January on 22 counts, all related to the 2016 shooting deaths of seven members of the Rhoden family and one future member. 1/7

1722618819142.png
Wagner, wearing orange jail garb, entered the courtroom in Waverly at 11:41 a.m. and left at 12:02 p.m. Defense and prosecution attorneys met in chambers with visiting Judge Jonathan Hein beginning at 10 a.m. 2/7

Hein reminded Wagner, lawyers and Rhoden family in the gallery that he has scheduled monthly hearings in the case through its Jan. 6 anticipated start. "It's going to take something every month to get ready," he said. More pretrial hearings will be added as needed, he said. 3/7

Beyond that, in his first appearance in the case, Hein said he has read the indictment against Wagner but does not and should not know about what evidence both sides will present. 4/7

Hein advised Wagner and Rhodens to work through attorneys to communicate with him. Attorneys made no comments in court. 5/7

Hein is the third judge in the Wagner case. Retired from Darke County Common Pleas Court, he replaced visiting Judge R. Alan Corbin in May when Corbin retired in full. 6/7

Pike County's sitting judge, Rob Junk, recused himself from the case because he helped prosecute Wagner's son, George Wagner IV, on the same charges in fall of 2022. The younger Wagner was founded guilty on all 22 counts. 7/7

@pattinewberry

Another reporter's perspective from the courtroom:

Back in Waverly for hearing for Billy Wagner in Rhoden murder cases. We're meeting the third judge in the case as visiting judge Alan Corbin is fully retiring. Getting replaced by visiting judge Jonathan Hein of Darke County. Trial still on for early Jan. 2025.

We will be streaming it live on @local12
https://t.co/6C5SWfWuvk

Looks as if we might be starting soon - defense lawyers have come out and Rhoden family is brought in.

Billy Wagner now brought in wearing his orange Butler County Jail jumpsuit.

Now in session - new judge Hein on the bench. Now talking about how to get him up to speed, and how he might say things everyone already knew. Hein was in Darke County for 24 years.

"How I ended up here is beyond me ..." - just answered a call for help

"Going to take a lot of work" to get trial started on time in January 2025.

Going to have a hearing every month starting in Sept. to get ready for the trial. More might be added.

Hein says he doesn't have a lot of knowledge about evidence to be introduced ... on purpose so he can be impartial.

Judge also says he and lawyers talked about 404 b evidence ... using evidence from prior crimes to show possible character flaws etc. It was a big part of George IV trial.

Hein talks to Rhoden family survivors - asks them to go through prosecutors to get to him and not to email him or call his cell phone.

And we're done. But it appears there will be a lot on the docket in the next five months to get ready for early January 2025 trial start date.

@jamespilcher

Thank you @Betty P and @arielilane for the great coverage of today's hearing. I watched the hearing but the feed kept buffering and I missed half of what was said.

From what I saw, here are my impressions.

Billy was in Jailhouse Orange/Butler County Jail Uniform clothing, clearly marked on his back. It also looked like he had handcuffs on. At the beginning, all of the defense attorneys were so adamant about the W4 being in civilian clothing and the physical restraints not shown to the public. I wonder why the change? I can't imagine it was his attorney's choice. It makes me wonder if Billy has psychologically given up and is waiting for the best Plea Deal he can get?

I really like the new judge. IMO he made it a point to recognize Billy's right to a fair trial as well as to acknowledge the grief of the Rhoden/Manley and Gilley Familys.

I do think the Court should have removed the nameplate of Rob Junk sitting in front of the Judge. It's confusing.

I like the fact that Judge Hein is making it clear, he will accommodate as many hearings as are necessary to facilitate the January 2025 Trial date.

I'm still marking the January 2025 Trial date on my calendar.....in pencil....

JMO

Last edited:
Thank you @Betty P and @arielilane for the great coverage of today's hearing. I watched the hearing but the feed kept buffering and I missed half of what was said.

From what I saw, here are my impressions.

Billy was in Jailhouse Orange/Butler County Jail Uniform clothing, clearly marked on his back. It also looked like he had handcuffs on. At the beginning, all of the defense attorneys were so adamant about the W4 being in civilian clothing and the physical restraints not shown to the public. I wonder why the change? I can't imagine it was his attorney's choice. It makes me wonder if Billy has psychologically given up and is waiting for the best Plea Deal he can get?

I really like the new judge. IMO he made it a point to recognize Billy's right to a fair trial as well as to acknowledge the grief of the Rhoden/Manley and Gilley Familys.

I do think the Court should have removed the nameplate of Rob Junk sitting in front of the Judge. It's confusing.

I like the fact that Judge Hein is making it clear, he will accommodate as many hearings as are necessary to facilitate the January 2025 Trial date.

I'm still marking the January 2025 Trial date on my calendar.....in pencil....

JMO

Thanks! Glad you saw his attire. I was focused on listening/transcribing. I also wondered if Billy did something wrong in jail that caused him to lose the privilege wearing the shock vest and street clothes.

Also agree about removing Junk's name plate from the bench. Just an oversight by someone. They'll probably take care of it next time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeSpice
Back