OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Generally, the Appellate Court docs are available to view-- as well as the oral argument, should the higher Court accept the case for review.

Adding the Case number here Supreme Court link for future reference:

• 2023CA000919 STATE OF OHIO VS. WAGNER, IV, GEORGE WASHINGTON

• Case Type:
  • COURT OF APPEALS
  • Case Status:
  • Open
  • File Date
  • 01/26/2023

• Action:
  • COURT OF APPEALS
  • Case Judge:
  • JUNK, ROBERT
  • Next Event:

ETA: add 4th Judicial District (Pike County) link

Would like to read what basis his attorneys think he has for an appeal.

I can guess ..... unfair due to no change of venue?
Jake is a liar?
Angie lies?

I just can't think of anything.....

A new judge has been assigned. Hope this does not cause another delay while he has to become familiar with the case.
06/03/2024CERTIFICATE OF ASSIGNMENT -- JONATHAN P. HEIN, A RETIRED JUDGE OF THE DARKE COUNTY COURT OF COMMON PLEAS, GENERAL AND DOMESTIC RELATIONS DIVISION, IS ASSIGNED EFFECTIVE MAY 29, 2024, TO PRESIDE IN THE PIKE COUNTY COMMON PLEAS TO HEAR CASE 2018CR000157, STATE OF OHIO V GEORGE WAGNER III AND TO CONCLUDE ANY PROCEEDINGS IN WHICH THE JUDGE PARTICIPATED

Last edited:
Would like to read what basis his attorneys think he has for an appeal.

I can guess ..... unfair due to no change of venue?
Jake is a liar?
Angie lies?

I just can't think of anything.....
The appeal attorney has not asked for another extension yet so it seems they will submit on or before June 10th.

I am guessing change of venue, the issue concerning Dana's address, the DP issue. Those are the things I can think of right now they complained about, but there were quite a few more if I remember correctly.

I think the judge was fair with the defense and the prosecution. I think judges tend to be more lienient with the defense normally, to prevent there being reason for appeal.

Last edited:
The appeal attorney has not asked for another extension yet so it seems they will submit on or before June 10th.

I am guessing change of venue, the issue concerning Dana's address, the DP issue. Those are the things I can think of right now they complained about, but there were quite a few more if I remember correctly.

I think the judge was fair with the defense and the prosecution. I think judges tend to be more lienient with the defense normally, to prevent there being reason for appeal.

I recall Judge Deering's response to the address issue. It's a nothingburger. State law allows a court in one jurisdiction to hold a trial for a crime that occurs in an adjacent jurisdiction. Our courts couldn't function if this were not allowed. It's SOP.

I recall Judge Deering's response to the address issue. It's a nothingburger. State law allows a court in one jurisdiction to hold a trial for a crime that occurs in an adjacent jurisdiction. Our courts couldn't function if this were not allowed. It's SOP.
A trial can be held in either county if the crime is related that occurred in more (multiple) than one county is how I understand it. I could be incorrect. In this case the crimes committed were all related. I think their argument was that it cannot be tried in another county. That may not come up on the appeal submission but it seemed like a hot button for them. Either way the other murders occurred in Pike county so not sure it would help them much if they did get a new trial.

It can be moved by the court to another county as a motion for venue change or other reasons if the judge sees fit, but that is not what happened. They were claiming it should never have been allowed to be tried in Pike county for those 3 victims to begin with.

Last edited:

;):):);)

A trial can be held in either county if the crime is related that occurred in more (multiple) than one county is how I understand it. I could be incorrect. In this case the crimes committed were all related. I think their argument was that it cannot be tried in another county. That may not come up on the appeal submission but it seemed like a hot button for them. Either way the other murders occurred in Pike county so not sure it would help them much if they did get a new trial.

It can be moved by the court to another county as a motion for venue change or other reasons if the judge sees fit, but that is not what happened. They were claiming it should never have been allowed to be tried in Pike county for those 3 victims to begin with.
Yeah, I think as long as the DA's in each county is ok with the agreement, its fine.

The Wagners were being tried for breaking state laws, so the AG is the one supervising the trial(s).

Actually, it was DeWine, as governor, who oversaw the trials. He oversaw the cases from day one until he was elected governor.

Remember when crazy AG Yost said he was dropping the cases because he didn't think the state had enough evidence to prosecute the Wagners. AC had to quit her job at the AG's office and move to Pike County, where the governor paid her salary and sent Andy to help.

Yosts actions were bizarre, hinky, strange.

Here's praying all of you in Ohio stayed safe during the tornado. OK is getting slammed this year also.

Raize

Hi Raize, how are you doing? Hope all is going well. In northeast Ohio, we've had a few bad storms and hail, but no tornadoes in our area. Other folks in western OH and downstate haven't been as lucky.

<modsnip - quoted post and response were off topic, removed>

As far as George's appeal, I am hoping it goes nowhere. He is right where he belongs. Him and CN all but admitted George knew about the plan before hand. Just one short phone call by George to Reader would have saved 8 lives. Hard to believe Chris Jr would have been 24 now and maybe married with kids. This case more than any other still haunts me.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as George's appeal, I am hoping it goes nowhere. He is right where he belongs. Him and CN all but admitted George knew about the plan before hand. Just one short phone call by George to Reader would have saved 8 lives. Hard to believe Chris Jr would have been 24 now and maybe married with kids. This case more than any other still haunts me.

JMO

George is in prison in Rhode Island - safety issues - whose safety? Not sure.

So if George is in New Jersey where is Jake, Angie and Billy? Still in Ohio?

<modsnip - off topic>

<modsnip - quoted post and response were off topic, removed> So if George is in New Jersey where is Jake, Angie and Billy? Still in Ohio?

<modsnip>
I think Billy is still in county jail, since his trial hasn't taken place. Jake, Angela and George all show under Pike County Sheriff inmate list.

While Jake and Angie show on their list, I think they're still at the other county jails. Jake in Franklin County, Angie & George (Billy) somewhere in SE OH

ETA: Angie in Delaware Co

Billy is in Butler Co

So if George is in New Jersey where is Jake, Angie and Billy? Still in Ohio?

<modsnip - off topic>

George is in Rhode Island unless he has sinced been moved.

Billy in Butler

Jake in Franklin

Angela in Delaware

Is there a way for us to view the appeal that was filed today?
I have it and I am trying to post it but I have not been able to get the file loaded in Websleuths for some reason. I will keep trying. I am not sure if there is another way you can view it at this time.

It is 75 pages but I am not sure that should or would cause a problem trying to attach it. I thought it attached to my previous post but it did not work.

I have it and I am trying to post it but I have not been able to get the file loaded in Websleuths for some reason. I will keep trying. I am not sure if there is another way you can view it at this time.

It is 75 pages but I am not sure that should or would cause a problem trying to attach it.
Thank you for trying. I'll be on the look out for it, just in case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back