TX TX - Phyllis Berry, 21, Terlingua, 1 Nov 1975

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Phyllis Eleanor Berry (artículo).png
According to Charley Project: "She may have left the area riding on the back of a Honda 350 motorcycle with an unidentified male, described as being in his twenties with blond hair".
Maybe some witnesses were confused because she rode with Dale Wade.
And, maybe I'm a little bit wary, but I think it's weird that Terry appeared driving her car, looking for her.

As far as I know, this Jane Doe has not been ruled out:

Last edited:
TX – Phyllis Eleanor Berry, W/F, 21, Terlingua, Brewster County, 1-2 Nov 1975

Phyllis Eleanor Berry

*Alias; Phyllis Eleanor Benny, Phyllis Eleanor Ecklison

View attachment 137930 View attachment 137931

Missing From: Terlingua, Brewster County, Texas

Physical/Clothing/Medical
Race:
White
Sex: Female
DOB: 09/16/54
Height: 5’3”-5’7” (63”-67”)
Weight: 110-120 lbs.
Hair: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Clothing: Tan and black shirt, blue jeans, knee high granny boots that laced up the front
Jewelry:
Characteristics
/Medical/Scars: Pierced ears, flat brown mole on her lower right abdomen and a freckle between her thumb and right wrist, slight space between #8 & #9 two front teeth, slender build, prior pregnancy
Transportation:
Fingerprint Status
: Available
Dental Status: Available
DNA Status: Available

Circumstances:
Phyllis was last seen in Terlingua, Brewster County, Texas at the “Terlingua Chili Cookoff” 12 miles from the Mexican Border. Terlingua is an old cinnabar mining ghost town with many abandoned mines in the area.

Phyllis and her roommate had quit their jobs accompanied by the roommate, a friend and a dog, the trio packed up clothes and food into Phyllis vehicle and had planned to camp in the area after the event ended.

At approximately midnight a few friends that had met up with Phyllis and her roommate at the event went to gather wood. Phyllis stayed behind by the dwindling campfire. When the group returned Phyllis had disappeared, her car, dog, purse and earrings were found however no Phyllis.

Phyllis was seen riding on back of a dark colored Honda 350 motorcycle a few hours prior to her disappearance with a male with blonde hair and appeared to be in his 20’s. LE was seeking the male whom Phyllis had been seen with, it was stated he was not a suspect however LE wanted to speak with him.

There was an extensive search of the area that lasted several days and included a plane, police dog, horseback and foot search by Phyllis friends and Texas Rangers.

Phyllis was from Odessa, TX and had spent a bit of time in Germany with a relative.

Investigating Agencies:
Texas Rangers, Company “E”
3500 N State Hwy 118
Alpine, TX. 79830
Tele: 432.447.3533
E-Mail: rangers@dps.texas.gov
MP Case # 961
Web: TxDPS - Texas Rangers Field Operations

Texas Department of Safety, Missing Persons Clearinghouse
PO Box 4087
Austin, TX. 78773
Tele: 512.424.5074 / 800.346.3243
MP Case # M0007006
Web: mpDetails

NCIC # M-400921199

Information Sources:
NAMUS
MP Case # 2927: Missing Person Case
Case Manager: Michael Nance
Tele: 917.527.0080
E-Mail: Michael.Nance@unthsc.edu

The Doe Network
MP Case # 544DFTX - 544DFTX - Phyllis Eleanor Berry

The Charley Project
Phyllis Eleanor Berry – The Charley Project

Crime Stoppers, Odessa
Odessa Crime Stoppers

News
09/25/77 – The Odessa American, Terlingua West site of cookoff slated Oct 8
11/06/75 – El Heraldo de Brownsville, Texas News in Brief
11/30/75 – The Odessa American, Odessa Girl’s Fate Unknown
10/16/76 – The Odessa American, Mystery Shrouds Disappearance of Odessan from Terlingua
According to NamUs, Phyllis is biracial (White and Native American). she was also registered under the Chickasaw Nation. On the website she's listed on there, but I think the page was deleted.

oof, wait correction: NamUs put the chickasaw nation website as a source for her disappearance. the page has since been taken down. there are also speculations that she may be the finley creek jane doe, but it doesn't make much sense since the drive from terlingua to finley creek oregon (where the body of the doe was found) is 25 hours. The doe was also pregnant, but I don't think Phyllis ever was.

oof, wait correction: NamUs put the chickasaw nation website as a source for her disappearance. the page has since been taken down. there are also speculations that she may be the finley creek jane doe, but it doesn't make much sense since the drive from terlingua to finley creek oregon (where the body of the doe was found) is 25 hours. The doe was also pregnant, but I don't think Phyllis ever was.
According to her friend who posted here, Phyllis had a baby and gave it up for adoption. Then we also had another member post, stating he was the husband (I believe) of the child she gave up for adoption. So it's possible Phyllis may have had one child. I'm going by memory here, so I apologize if I'm wrong, but if you take a look at previous posts, the posts should still be there. I don't believe either member were verified as an insider on this case. Again, going by memory.
Welcome to Websleuths!

According to her friend who posted here, Phyllis had a baby and gave it up for adoption. Then we also had another member post, stating he was the husband (I believe) of the child she gave up for adoption. So it's possible Phyllis may have had one child. I'm going by memory here, so I apologize if I'm wrong, but if you take a look at previous posts, the posts should still be there. I don't believe either member were verified as an insider on this case. Again, going by memory.
Welcome to Websleuths!
hey, thanks for welcoming me. I didn't know she had a kid. At 21? That's awfully young.

but about Finley Creek Jane Doe, I don't think it would make sense for Phyllis to be that doe because again, if you consider the distance from Terlingua (down in the south) up to Oregon, that's 25 hours. I don't think that some random guy took her 25 hours up to Oregon and dumped her body there because it would take too much time. Also, the doe is mostly identified to be white, but we don't know for certain because the remains were skeletal. the appearance certainly does match her, but the doe is also said to be patty otto, which is more logical, because the distance kind of makes sense? not sure how to word it.

Last edited:
Does Finley Creek Jane Doe have DNA?
I'm not sure? I think she does. I don't want to check because the facial reconstruction scared the absolute crap out of me but I think you can look it up. a Doe Network profile may say it.

The facial reconstruction of the doe is a bit uncanny, so I will warn you on that. I did not want to check because the facial reconstruction kept me up at night, lol. but she might have DNA, just not any fingerprints. I found Finley Creek Jane Doe through a tiktok and it said Phyllis was a possible match, but I'm not sure for certain because the Daughter of Patricia Otto said it looked a lot like her (Patty Otto)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TruthAndACoffee
Back