Phyllis Eleanor Berry_3_en_ci.png
    529.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Phyllis Eleanor Berry_2_en_ci.png
    Phyllis Eleanor Berry_2_en_ci.png
    291 KB · Views: 26
  • Phyllis Eleanor Berry_1_en_ci.png
    Phyllis Eleanor Berry_1_en_ci.png
    347.2 KB · Views: 32
This could be a potshot, but while updating myself on the Terry Rasmussen case(s), in particular the ongoing search for the identity of his child found in the Allenstown, NH barrels, I noticed a detail that the child may have been born in Texas or Mississippi (as well as being Native American) - and was born between '75 and '77. LE is also naturally searching for the mother also, so I started digging through NamUs for Texan women who went missing during the 70s and stumbled upon Phyllis.

I also read through the posts here, the mineshaft theories, and that it seemed unlikely she left the cookout with someone on a bike. So... I don't know. Figured I'd throw it out there!

We are doing a genealogy work up on Phyllis and found her mother lived on a Chickasaw Reservation in Oklahoma with her parents before moving to Texas where she had Phyllis. We are wondering if she could be the unidentified mother of the “middle” Bear Brook State Park Doe found in an old oil drum. Her genetic study found that she is Caucasian with Native American ancestry possibly from the Mississippi area. This would make them both victims of Terry Peder Rasmussen who was in the Texas area at the time and had a woman with him that fits our Doe’s description. He has a propensity to live roughly in camping situations which was supposedly what Terry was planning to do before her disappearance. He also has consistently “run away” with his victims and family members and friends tend never have communications with their loved ones again. Well, it’s worth the effort since the times and circumstances fit. I’ll post my findings.

This could be a potshot, but while updating myself on the Terry Rasmussen case(s), in particular the ongoing search for the identity of his child found in the Allenstown, NH barrels, I noticed a detail that the child may have been born in Texas or Mississippi (as well as being Native American) - and was born between '75 and '77. LE is also naturally searching for the mother also, so I started digging through NamUs for Texan women who went missing during the 70s and stumbled upon Phyllis.

I also read through the posts here, the mineshaft theories, and that it seemed unlikely she left the cookout with someone on a bike. So... I don't know. Figured I'd throw it out there!
I’m on the same trail!!!! I’ll post all of my findings but it’s definitely worth the legwork. My husband and I are working out her genealogy and it is getting interesting!

It's a possibility, however, I believe both the MC and Phyllis have DNA in CODIS. It would have hit if it were a familial match as they do make cross comparisons. At least, that's what the NamUs Reps have told me when I asked about the Guthries, a missing family of 3, on the off chance they were found in separate locations. And instead of a genealogical work up, you could simply send the suggestion to NamUs and ask if their DNA has been compared. Save you a lot of time, though I have to admit, the MC's ancestry is intriguing and it's been fascinating poking around in it.

Has anyone ever looked into whether Phyllis may have returned to Germany or another part of Europe?

469UFDEU

This UID was found in 2004, age suggested between 40-50.

Frankfurt and Darmstadt are only half an hour or so apart, so if Phyllis returned to a familiar region? Perhaps a way out there suggestion, and DNA is marked as unknown, so I'm not sure how anyone would rule in or out, but wanted to put it out there just in case.

469UFDEU1.jpg phyllis_eleanor_berry_2.png

Also have to wonder if the date here could be Feb 1976? The foreign accent, wart on right abdomen and slender build really gave me pause. 1625UFUK

The hitchhiker from Austin seems to be the last one to have seen her. He left early the next day. Funny there is no more info or focus on him.

Phyllis' NamUs profile was modified today, 10/17/22
She currently has 20 rule outs
UP3437
08/28/2001
Presidio
TX

UP6279
12/18/1996
Fairfax
VA

UP8419
01/16/2001
Isle of Wight
VA

UP7514
09/04/1979
Miami-Dade
FL
UP4790
04/24/1981
Miami
OH

UP5556
05/30/1976
Virginia Beach
VA

UP6629
02/03/1991
Frederick
VA

UP8579
01/25/1981
Hanover
VA

UP6661
02/03/1991
Stafford
VA

UP12683
06/06/2014
Newport News
VA

UP6642
08/07/1986
Chesterfield
VA

UP6796
11/18/1985
Alleghany
VA

UP8493
12/06/1993
Fairfax
VA

UP6249
11/14/1980
Rockingham
VA

UP6150
11/07/1998
Stafford
VA

UP6774
12/29/2009
Harris
TX

UP6259
04/22/1981
Lawrence
OH

UP8427
07/17/1982
Washoe
NV

UP4778
06/16/1987
Lucas
OH

UP5203
01/12/2004
Marion
OR

Phyllis Eleanor Berry​

phyllis_eleanor_berry_1.jpg
phyllis_eleanor_berry_2.jpg

Berry, circa 1975
  • Missing Since 11/01/1975
  • Missing From Terlingua, Texas
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 09/16/1954 (68)
  • Age 21 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A tan and black shirt, blue jeans and knee-high granny boots that laced up the front.
  • Associated Vehicle(s)Honda 350 motorcycle
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Berry has a flat brown mole on the lower right side of her abdomen. Her ears are pierced and she has a slight space between her upper front teeth and a freckle between her thumb and right wrist. She may be known as Phyllis Benny and/or Phyllis Ecklison.

Details of Disappearance​

Berry was last seen in Terlingua, Texas on November 1, 1975, near the Mexican border, at the annual World Championship Chili Cook-Off. Some ten to fifteen thousand people attended the event. Berry lived in Odessa, Texas; she and her female roommate had quit their jobs and planned to camp out in the area. They had packed food and clothes into Berry's vehicle and also had an Irish Setter puppy that belonged to her.

Berry disappeared at around midnight and was last seen sitting around a campfire about a quarter-mile from the headquarters of the cooking contest. She may have left the area riding on the back of a Honda 350 motorcycle with an unidentified male, described as being in his twenties with blond hair.

Berry has never been seen again. Because she was happy with her life and because she left all her belongings behind, her roommate doesn't believe she left of her own accord. Foul play is suspected in her case.

Investigating Agency​

• Texas Rangers 432-249-0961

Source Information​

These remains were found inside an evidence locker in 1992 following the federal drug trafficking indictment of suspended Presidio County Sheriff Rick Thompson. He’d been “top lawman” in the county since 1973.

I couldn’t find much information about the remains other than they were of an adult female and could have been in the evidence locker for years. A child’s remains were also found but I didn’t find those in NamUs.

The proximity to Terlingua is what caught my eye and the bizarre circumstances could fit with Phyllis’s disappearance. The dotted red line encompasses Presidio County with Terlingua at the southeast edge, just inside Brewster County.

IMG_2763.jpeg

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malik562