‘Take Care of Maya’ - Kowalski v. Johns Hopkins Trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Anybody watch Maya leave the courtroom when the defense started talking?

I truly believe the hospital saved her life. Jmo

This would have been Gypsy Blanchard all over again.

The people that need to be sued are the Dr.from Mexico and Dr. Hanna.

The 2019 review of effectiveness didn't include a review of research results in PubMed, which covers a much wider database of clinical research. Of the 600+ trials they reviewed, only 7 were chosen to be part of their analysis. Just sayin.

CONCLUSIONS:​

Evidence suggests that IV ketamine provides significant short-term analgesic benefit in patients with refractory chronic pain, with some evidence of a dose–response relationship. Larger, multicenter studies with longer follow-ups are needed to better select patients and determine the optimal treatment protocol.

JMO Long term effects should be considered closely when any treatment is used for children.
key words SHORT TERM

Anybody watch Maya leave the courtroom when the defense started talking?

I truly believe the hospital saved her life. Jmo

This would have been Gypsy Blanchard all over again.

The people that need to be sued are the Dr.from Mexico and Dr. Hanna.
COULD not agree more. She walked out (duly noted by jury) when Shapiro was giving one of the best closings I have seen in a long time. Attorney Anderson was awful. I think they will get a payout but hope it is not excessive. You simply cannot argue with how she was when living at hope with Beata and where she is now. That said she has significant issues mentally mostly thanks to this trial and her father. I feel very sorry for Kyle who is also very damaged by all of this. JH did not do any of this. I think Beata has probably had issues long before her daughter got sick.and Maya came to JH with CRSP or some other issues and left much better. To hold JH liable for her issues for the rest of her life? Just crazy. I hope the jury sees this but am doubtful. Her walking out told me she knows that this is a farce.

COULD not agree more. She walked out (duly noted by jury) when Shapiro was giving one of the best closings I have seen in a long time. Attorney Anderson was awful. I think they will get a payout but hope it is not excessive. You simply cannot argue with how she was when living at hope with Beata and where she is now. That said she has significant issues mentally mostly thanks to this trial and her father. I feel very sorry for Kyle who is also very damaged by all of this. JH did not do any of this. I think Beata has probably had issues long before her daughter got sick.and Maya came to JH with CRSP or some other issues and left much better. To hold JH liable for her issues for the rest of her life? Just crazy. I hope the jury sees this but am doubtful. Her walking out told me she knows that this is a farce.
Yep.

Both sides will appeal depending on the verdict and then get settled out of court fir an undisclosed amount

I may be way out in "left field" or the "weeds" or "off my rocker", but I do not think the hospital is to blame for anything. Of course, they aren't perfect, but I believe this is a money grab by Maya and family. I'll duck now to avoid any darts. :)

key words SHORT TERM
Short term use of some drugs or treatments can cause long term effects. One example is the ill-advised use of hormone replacement therapy in post-menopausal women. Even short term use resulted in higher rates of breast cancer in the following years.

On Monday, the judge went over 80 pages of jury instructions with the jury. They will have to consider seven claims including:

• False imprisonment
  • Battery
  • Medical negligence
  • Fraudulent billing
  • Survivor claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress (Estate of Beata Kowalski)
  • Wrongful death claim for intention infliction of emotional distress causing death
  • Maya Kowalski’s claim for infliction of emotional distress

After jury instructions were read, one juror was dismissed for medical issues after a defense request to have a particular juror, who asked a lot of questions, reassigned as an alternate was denied.

Last week, the case nearly came to a standstill as the Kowalski's attorneys questioned a witness on the hospital’s Joint Commission review. They pointed out the hospital had an immediate jeopardy citation, which they believe was during the time Maya was hospitalized. Days prior, the hospital presented expert witness Mark Anderson who told the jury they met accreditation standards in 2016.

The Kowalski family’s attorneys said that could have misrepresented the St. Petersburg hospital’s image to the jury. While the defense team for the hospital said it was only for the hospital’s heart institute, the Kowalski’s attorneys wanted a closer look and so did Judge Hunter Carroll.

"This thing kind of exploding on the last day of testimony, the last thing I want to do is make a wrong call on this issue because this issue has the perspective of causing this whole thing to be done over again," said Judge Carroll.

Before the jury was in the courtroom on Monday, the Kowalskis’ attorneys told Judge Carroll they had not received corrective action plans, town hall meetings or internal emails until they did a deposition from a former hospital staff member. He said at that time they received a stack of documents that was 8–10 inches thick that correlated with fixing the cultural issues of Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital not just with its Heart Institute.

The lawyers for the Kowalski family said that the information they were provided revealed a culture of retaliation and retribution for people who raised issues at Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital. It has been noted that several nurse practitioners brought up issues at the hospital as early as 2015.

The attorneys added that the documents revealed that eight key executives were forced out during this time and the hospital conducted a massive re-education campaign encouraging all team members to speak up and speak out.

On Monday. the jury heard from Dr. Joseph Corcoran, a policy and procedure expert, before the plaintiffs rested their rebuttal case. He told the jury, despite claims from the St. Petersburg hospital that all was well, it was not. He stated that the hospital may have passed their accreditation, but they had several red flags raised, including how the hospital reported problems, complains and claims of mismanagement.

All-inclusive article at link...

You're aware that ketamine is an approved treatment for pain, as well as depression...? For some people with treatment-resistant depression, it can be life saving. It's also used for CRPS and other chronic pain, particularly nerve pain. Here's a 2019 review of its effectiveness.

It actually is NOT FDA-approved for either pain or for depression.

Regarding Maya's health condition while living at home with Beata compared to now ... my daughter's Doctor told her that CRPS can remain the same or progress but it is just as likely that it will burn itself out and only time will tell.

The following is from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (link at bottom of post)

The outcome of CRPS is highly variable:

• Most illnesses are mild and recover over months to a few years as the injured nerve regrows. If this doesn't happen, symptoms can linger to cause long-term disability.
  • The outcome depends not only on the severity of the original injury, but also on underlying general and nerve health. Younger people, children, and teenagers almost always recover, as do older adults with good circulation and nutrition. Smoking is a major impediment to nerve regeneration as is diabetes and previous chemotherapy. Removing barriers to healing increases the chance and speed of your recovery.
  • Rarely, individuals may experience prolonged severe pain and disability despite treatment. This may indicate underlying separate problems interfering with healing requiring additional testing and treatment.

The jury is over it.
Hopefully, they see past the lies and exaggerations by the Kolwolskis.

They asked for a report not in evidence and warned that without it " You will be lucky enough to have been awarded enough gas money to drive you to your next court date or we'll be here again next Friday".

VERDICT WATCH: Just over 5 hours of deliberations so far in #TakeCareOfMaya trial. Yesterday they asked for read back of economist testimony, however today have appeared to changed their minds about that. If no verdict by 4pm, delibs will stop as a juror has an appointment.

I stopped watching the trial and (admittedly) missed very crucial information. Both the treatment and the suicide were SO extreme... I just couldn't discard my bias against B. Kudos to all who have watched and contemplated with an open mind.

jmo

It actually is NOT FDA-approved for either pain or for depression.

For depression, it is FDA approved. In 2019. It is an inhaled, compounded version (esketamine), not IV.

also, If you're not aware of off-label uses of just about every medication out there, do some reading. Docs prescribe off label all the time.

I find it strange that Maya came to JH with CRPS (or so it is claimed and I'll accept that) and left with CRPS but less impairment and it is said it is a lifelong disease....so why is JH liable for lifelong medical bills for CRPS?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jnmeep
Back