‘Take Care of Maya’ - Kowalski v. Johns Hopkins Trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I find it strange that Maya came to JH with CRPS (or so it is claimed and I'll accept that) and left with CRPS but less impairment and it is said it is a lifelong disease....so why is JH liable for lifelong medical bills

Bc the Kowalskis are looking for a payday

I find it strange that Maya came to JH with CRPS (or so it is claimed and I'll accept that) and left with CRPS but less impairment and it is said it is a lifelong disease....so why is JH liable for lifelong medical bills for CRPS?
In post #213 is a link to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

In the NINDS CRPS summary is the following...

Although CRPS improves over time, eventually going away in most people, the severe or prolonged cases are profoundly disabling. Because of the varied symptoms, the fact that symptoms may change over time, and the difficulty finding a positive cause in some cases, CRPS is hard to treat. There is no treatment that rapidly cures CRPS

and...

The outcome of CRPS is highly variable:

• Most illnesses are mild and recover over months to a few years as the injured nerve regrows. If this doesn't happen, symptoms can linger to cause long-term disability.
  • The outcome depends not only on the severity of the original injury, but also on underlying general and nerve health. Younger people, children, and teenagers almost always recover, as do older adults with good circulation and nutrition.
  • Rarely, individuals may experience prolonged severe pain and disability despite treatment. This may indicate underlying separate problems interfering with healing requiring additional testing and treatment

In post #213 is a link to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

In the NINDS CRPS summary is the following...

Although CRPS improves over time, eventually going away in most people, the severe or prolonged cases are profoundly disabling. Because of the varied symptoms, the fact that symptoms may change over time, and the difficulty finding a positive cause in some cases, CRPS is hard to treat. There is no treatment that rapidly cures CRPS

and...

The outcome of CRPS is highly variable:

• Most illnesses are mild and recover over months to a few years as the injured nerve regrows. If this doesn't happen, symptoms can linger to cause long-term disability.
  • The outcome depends not only on the severity of the original injury, but also on underlying general and nerve health. Younger people, children, and teenagers almost always recover, as do older adults with good circulation and nutrition.
  • Rarely, individuals may experience prolonged severe pain and disability despite treatment. This may indicate underlying separate problems interfering with healing requiring additional testing and treatment
I get that but why should JH pay for the medical bills for treatment, physical therapy etc. for Maya's life when they were not the cause of this syndrome or condition?

There are multiple claims included in this lawsuit and each one is decided seperately. The claims include battery, fraudulent billing, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and two claims of extreme and outrageous actions towards Maya and Beata Kowalski, which led to Beata taking her life. I believe there is one more claim which escapes my memory at this time.

It is my belief that some claims have been proven in the trial. And to answer the question as to why they are asking for future medical expenses, Maya's PTSD is claimed to be due to her experience at JHACH, and requires treatment.

I am a local and this case is just one of many that this hospital is/was dealing with. Their reputation has been circling the drain now for many years. Many doctors no longer refer their patients there (personal experience) and instead use other hospitals. There was extensive coverage of the problems and deaths in their Heart Institute, including leaving needles in babies hearts. Their utilization became so low that they almost closed which allowed John Hopkins to purchase the hospital for ZERO DOLLARS allowing them to keep their lights on. The Maya Kowlaski case has started to blow up the media coverage again and I'm sure regardless of the outcome of this case they will take another hit. They already are. I personally know two different families who no longer take their children there that have chronic issues that require hospitalization and instead choose to cross the bridge over into Tampa.

JHACH has saved many patients and many parents have had good experiences there. Personally I wouldn't take a pet rock there, but that's just me. Why risk my child's life?

I’ve worked with numerous children and their families who had active Child Protection cases where the parents were involved in family court proceedings. In most cases, when the children were removed from the home, the parents and children were allowed supervised visitation. Maya was “removed” from her parents’ care but she was not residing with a family member or a caregiver. She was a 10 y/or alone with nurses who work shifts. To me, this was cruel regardless of her mother’s psychological challenges.

For depression, it is FDA approved. In 2019. It is an inhaled, compounded version (esketamine), not IV.

also, If you're not aware of off-label uses of just about every medication out there, do some reading. Docs prescribe off label all the time.

Esketamine is irrelevant to this discussion. It is not the same as Ketamine and it is not what Maya was being given, not to mention that esketamine is approved for TREATMENT-RESISTANT depression, which Maya did not have, so the point remains that she was being treated with a medication that was NOT FDA-approved.

I know about off-label prescribing. I've already addressed this topic.

It actually is NOT FDA-approved for either pain or for depression.

Earlier this year I was in the hospital waiting for surgery and in a lot of pain. I was begging for something stronger than what they had been giving me. Well they gave me ketamine, and didn't tell me what they were giving. I was freaking out when I started hallucinating bad stuff. I was screaming at the nurse, what the heck did you give me. You trying to kill me? I was pissed off and then I threw up all over the place.
It blows my mind how much was given to that young girl, and how she could deal with the hallucinations.

But I do think childrens services, the hospital, caregivers were wrong in their handling of Maya. I also think that but for their actions, Beata would still be alive. I hope the judge goes to bed each night thinking about Beata's suicide letter. There was absolutely no reason to deny them hugging one another.

Regardless of who wins, this case will be tied up in court for years

Earlier this year I was in the hospital waiting for surgery and in a lot of pain. I was begging for something stronger than what they had been giving me. Well they gave me ketamine, and didn't tell me what they were giving. I was freaking out when I started hallucinating bad stuff. I was screaming at the nurse, what the heck did you give me. You trying to kill me? I was pissed off and then I threw up all over the place.
It blows my mind how much was given to that young girl, and how she could deal with the hallucinations.

But I do think childrens services, the hospital, caregivers were wrong in their handling of Maya. I also think that but for their actions, Beata would still be alive. I hope the judge goes to bed each night thinking about Beata's suicide letter. There was absolutely no reason to deny them hugging one another.
Personally I think there was. Beata could have possibly passed Maya pain meds during an embrace. Maya had complained that she was still in pain. Given what we now know it is by no means a stretch to imagine a scenario where Beata tucked some opiates or even oral ketamine into her pocket and whispered to keep it hidden. Also at the time the hospital knew how erratic Beata could behave. She could have pulled a weapon out and attempted to flee with Maya. She could have done anything at that point IMO.

Whilst watching the documentary I thought it was harsh to refuse a hug, after reading about this case further I believe it may have been a necessary prevaution as even though it was more than likely just a hug that Beata wanted, there’s a chance it could have also been used as a chance to try something drastic. We now know Beata wasn’t in a good frame of mind and becoming desperate, the risk may just have been too great. Yes it seems cruel, but given Beata’s previous behaviours that had concerned health professionals, and given that she took her life shortly after this it was IMO perhaps a decision made to protect Maya from a possible dangerous situation.

It can’t possibly be multiple professionals from hospitals, CPS, psychiatrists AND a judge’s fault that Beata took her own life. Although the plaintiff and Take care of Maya will try to have others believe that everyone was big bad evil and mean - everyone. Except the doctors who were pumping her full of potentionally dangerous doses and combinations of high risk medication - and the mother who didn’t just allow this but was actively encouraging it and bragging about her 10 year old having just received a dose of ketamine ‘enough to kill a horse’ IMO

All MOO

Personally I think there was. Beata could have possibly passed Maya pain meds during an embrace. Maya had complained that she was still in pain. Given what we now know it is by no means a stretch to imagine a scenario where Beata tucked some opiates or even oral ketamine into her pocket and whispered to keep it hidden. Also at the time the hospital knew how erratic Beata could behave. She could have pulled a weapon out and attempted to flee with Maya. She could have done anything at that point IMO.

Whilst watching the documentary I thought it was harsh to refuse a hug, after reading about this case further I believe it may have been a necessary prevaution as even though it was more than likely just a hug that Beata wanted, there’s a chance it could have also been used as a chance to try something drastic. We now know Beata wasn’t in a good frame of mind and becoming desperate, the risk may just have been too great. Yes it seems cruel, but given Beata’s previous behaviours that had concerned health professionals, and given that she took her life shortly after this it was IMO perhaps a decision made to protect Maya from a possible dangerous situation.

It can’t possibly be multiple professionals from hospitals, CPS, psychiatrists AND a judge’s fault that Beata took her own life. Although the plaintiff and Take care of Maya will try to have others believe that everyone was big bad evil and mean - everyone. Except the doctors who were pumping her full of potentionally dangerous doses and combinations of high risk medication - and the mother who didn’t just allow this but was actively encouraging it and bragging about her 10 year old having just received a dose of ketamine ‘enough to kill a horse’ IMO

All MOO
I agree. The hospital, judge, CPS etc. Are not any way responsible for her Beata's death.

It sounds like she was unraveling way before all this happened. Imo

Wow once again I am reminded of why I hesitate to get involved in a trial. I really disagree with this verdict and damages. As I watch those kids crying and in a very bad state I really feel for them. This sets some bad standards for nurses and I wonder how many will be reporting to CPS in Florida or anywhere? To say JH intended to do this....I disagree.

This is disgusting.
This has now set a precedent for now adult children who’s parent’s were ever accused of abuse by health professionals - even when there was evidence of said abuse. But I guess without an emotional documentary they may not get as far.

IMO but I imagine an appeal may well and truly burst that bubble.
MOO

I am glad that Maya won. I believe the hospital overstepped their bounds multiple times. I have some belief on the demands by mom, but ultimately, the hospital immediately overstepped their bounds by not checking in to Maya's previous diagnosis. JMHO

Obviously by the information that came out late in the trial, the hospital was put on notice long before Maya about their practices. I cannot imagine how Maya felt when the nurse forcibly stripped her to take pictures before court (just one of the times that they overstepped).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlyimagine
Back