‘Take Care of Maya’ - Kowalski v. Johns Hopkins Trial

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

‘Absolutely disgusting’: Hospital demands new Maya Kowalski trial after juror note allegedly compares doctor to ‘a notorious Nazi organization’

Dec 8th, 2023, 1:48 pm
[...]
The crux of the latest juror misconduct claim, which was filed as a second supplement to the overarching new trial motion on Thursday, is the idea that Juror Number 1 had an extreme dislike of one of the defense witnesses, a hospital employee named Sally Smith.
[...]
“Juror Number 1 has printed letter ‘S’ throughout the note normally, with a curve in the spine, EXCEPT that he printed his ‘S’ with sharp angles when printing Dr. Sally Smith’s name,” the second supplemental motion reads. “Both the second and third times that Juror No. 1 prints Dr. Sally Smith’s name, the letter ‘S’ is shaped in a manner identical to the symbol of the Nazi Schutzstaffel.”
[...]
View attachment 467276
Hunter is really grasping for straws now. And I am sure there were more jurors who had an extreme dislike for Sally Smith after watching her depo. I will be disappointed if sanctions are not imposed. Doxing the juror and his wife and not turning over the IJ documents that were ordered by the judge are just two sanctionable offenses offhand that I can recall. I am sure there are more as well.

Hunter is really grasping for straws now. And I am sure there were more jurors who had an extreme dislike for Sally Smith after watching her depo. I will be disappointed if sanctions are not imposed. Doxing the juror and his wife and not turning over the IJ documents that were ordered by the judge are just two sanctionable offenses offhand that I can recall. I am sure there are more as well.

Reading social media posts about a case they're trying isn't doxxing. JMO

Motions today in the #TakeCareOfMaya trial.

Jack, Maya and Kyle Kowalski waiting for the judge to take the bench in #TakeCareOfMaya motions hearing. https://youtube.com/watch?v=llgo0LzrRU0

1702647215613.png

@cathyrusson

WATCH LIVE: 'Take Care of Maya' — Kowalski v Johns Hopkins All Children'...

https://youtube.com/live/llgo0LzrRU0?si=wPP9wpqApVLAOK0U via@YouTube

WATCH LIVE: 'Take Care of Maya' — Kowalski v Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital — Court Hearing​

Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital was found liable for the death of Beata Kowalski, the mother of Maya Kowalski, who was the subject of Netflix’s “Take Cara of Maya” documentary. Beata took her own life after the hospital and its staff filed a report that she was abusing Maya — which ended up forbidding her to see her young child. The Kowalski family was awarded $261 million in damages. Attorneys for the hospital have since filed several appeals demanding a new trial claiming there was alleged misconduct among jurors.

Last edited:
@cathyrusson

Multiple motions today. First up is: Defense (Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital) accuses a juror of misconduct stating he didn't disclose that he was a victim of a crime on his juror questionnaire.

Defense also accuses juror #1's wife making social media posts in real-time during the trial, IE: that her husband is going to have questions for a detective. (We know juror #1 is former law enforcement) Defense tried to get that juror kicked off mid-trial saying that based on the questions he had for witnesses (jurors can ask questions) they believed he was biased against the hospital.

Deleted previous tweet about juror notepad. Defense motion accuses juror #1 of writing Dr. Sally Smith's name, the two S's, as Nazi symbols. The motion says in the juror's notes. Could be questions he was writing and sending to the bench as all jurors were able to question witnesses (if question was allowed).

1702649347700.png

Last edited by a moderator:
SARASOTA, Fla. - Both sides in the ‘Take Care of Maya’ case were back in court on Friday morning.

After listening to both sides, Judge Hunter Carroll said he would not make a ruling before the Christmas holiday on the motions. However, he did say he would let the lawyers know next week if he decides to move forward with a juror interview.

By ABC7 Staff: Dec. 22, 2023 at 9:23 AM MST|Updated: 24 hours ago

SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) - A judge will allow limited interviews with a juror in the Maya Kowalski Civil Trial after the defense said misconduct was at play.

Published January 2, 2024
A Sarasota judge is set to interview a juror Wednesday afternoon in the "Take Care of Maya" case after granting a defense motion by Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital based on allegations of potential juror misconduct that tainted the verdict.

Judge Hunter Carroll, who has been the presiding judge on the case since May 2021, granted a motion to conduct a limited interview of Juror No. 1, the foreperson, less than a week after hearing arguments about the motion on Dec. 15.

8+ minute video

JUDGE QUESTIONS KOWALSKI JUROR IN OPEN COURT​

Juror #1, who served as the foreperson on the jury in the 'Take Care of Maya' Trial, answered questions about alleged misconduct. (1/3/24)

At some point, will interest begin to accrue on the $261 million awarded to Maya? Or, is that amount set until after appeals? I've been looking unsuccessfully for answer.
Chelly, I’ve been trying to find the answer to that too! I don’t have a source, but if I remember correctly, the interest starts to accrue once the judge has ruled on all the post trial motions filed by the plaintiffs and defense. I think the judge said that would be by the end of the month?

I will keep looking though! This is all just my opinion and based on my limited understanding of the judicial process.

Chelly, I’ve been trying to find the answer to that too! I don’t have a source, but if I remember correctly, the interest starts to accrue once the judge has ruled on all the post trial motions filed by the plaintiffs and defense. I think the judge said that would be by the end of the month?

I will keep looking though! This is all just my opinion and based on my limited understanding of the judicial process.
@IDK Thanks for responding. I believe you are correct that the interest begins to accrue after rulings on all post trial motions. But have been wondering how appeal process would affect accrual. I've heard the subject discussed on YT but haven't found substantiated figures yet. Love to know what the rate will be. Will keep on it.

@IDK Thanks for responding. I believe you are correct that the interest begins to accrue after rulings on all post trial motions. But have been wondering how appeal process would affect accrual. I've heard the subject discussed on YT but haven't found substantiated figures yet. Love to know what the rate will be. Will keep on it.

Greg Anderson said the interest accrues as $50K PER DAY :eek:

January 17, 2024
A Sarasota County judge has lowered the damages awarded by a jury against Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital by $47.5 million but dismissed the hospital’s calls for a new trial.
In an order released Tuesday, Judge Hunter Carroll agreed with the hospital’s motion that some of the jury’s awards to Maya Kowalski and her family were “excessive.” But he defended the majority of the decisions reached by a six-person jury that in November found that All Children’s in 2016 falsely imprisoned and battered Maya Kowalski, a 10-year-old Sarasota County girl, inflicted emotional distress on her and her family and contributed to her mother’s suicide.
[...]
The judge’s order means the hospital must still pay the Venice family $213.5 million.
“Despite the picture painted by (All Children’s) motion, this jury did not go off the rails,” Carroll wrote in his order.
[...]
In Tuesday’s ruling, he did agree with hospital attorneys that a $50 million award to Maya’s father, Jack Kowalski, for noneconomic damages arising from the death of his wife was “excessive” and ordered the amount be lowered to $24 million.
He also reduced economic damages for family members by $16.5 million and overturned an award of $5 million for fraudulent medical billing.
[...]

It actually is NOT FDA-approved for either pain or for depression.

Federal hospitals have Ketamine Clinics for both pain tx and depression.

Reactions: IDK

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hyacintha
Back