108 people missing in mudslide

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
90 PEOPLE NOW UNACCOUNTED FOR AND 35 LISTED AS STATUS UNKNOWN

"Tonight we can report definitively that 90 people are currently missing or unaccounted for. In addition to that we still have 35 people whose status is still unknown at this time," added Mr. Pennington who then defined what that meant.

Ninety people that are missing were identified as individuals who were known throughout the community or were in the area that are known as missing individuals.

Regarding those 90 people Pennington did not sound hopeful that the majority of those names would turn up safe and sound adding, "I think we have to be logical here. All of our faces in this event have gone worldwide. Unless you’re in a jungle in South America you know what happened here. The logical assumption is that if you’re on this list of 90, you’re on this list of 90."

http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/F...TUS-UNKNOWN-IN-OSO-MUDSLIDE-AFTERMATH-1680299

Truly unbelievable devastation :( My husband and his company went to help search and remove debris. This pic shows the area quite well:

mudslide-ai2html_720.jpg

My husband spoke to a frantic woman that stated her daughter was driving through and now she is missing. You can see the road there. What horrible horrible luck. There are just no words.

EDITING TO ADD- link below has footage of a child being rescued by a helicopter and also some disturbing information about 911 calls. Just wanted to give a heads up.
Picture credit:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/27/us/washington-mudslide-search.html?_r=0

Thank you so much to your husband and his company. The interviews and pictures/video coming out of there are just heartbreaking and devastating.

My friend says that her family members have still not been located. She feels so helpless... hoping for a miracle, but she is realistic and knows that they are gone :(

Been avoiding this thread as it hits a bit too close to home. Prayers for all the families dealing with this heartbreak. There are no words. :(

Our only daughter was working in Colorado at a ranch last summer and fall when the 1000-yr flood hit Larimar County in September. The ranch was hit by two mudslides in one day—one in the morning, and the Big One around midnight. She and her friends were working in the rain doing clean up and sandbagging from the first mudslide by flashlight (electricity gone) when the monster Twin Sisters mudslide hit. It roared past them in the dark not 20 feet away from the cabin where they were shoveling mud. She told us they heard a roaring sound like Niagara Falls and took off running blindly in the dark as fast as they could in waterlogged boots. She told us this after 3 days of no contact b/c all communications were down, roads from camp were washed out and we had no way of knowing what was going on until a staffer hiked out and was able to finally get an email out to families.

We weren’t able to talk to her until after they were all evacuated to Estes Park and some phone lines restored to the town. When I saw the videos from the survey helicopter of the monster slide that roared down the mountain right by her, I had a major mom moment. (The ranch is on the side of the mountain, right between two fingers of the slide). The ranch’s landscape is forever changed--new roads, new main entrance, loss of trees, some things gone not to be rebuilt--but the fact that there was no loss of life (including horses) is a miracle to be thankful for. She and other staff spent the rest of the season cleaning up the mudslide debris and damage.

I hope it's okay to post a few photos (I'm still working this out): The first is a screenshot of the video the helicopter took of the Twin Sisters mudslide. My DD was a little speck in the blackness at the edge of that big finger when it came roaring down... The others are just 3 of over a hundred shots she, her friends, and staffers took, and will give you an idea of how huge and destructive these mudslides can be. Pray for the WA families.

Larimer County helicopter video screenshot of Twin Sisters Mudslide:

Mud from the slide pours into Wrangler Breakfast area:

Snohomish County authorities said they would stop updating reports on how many bodies have been recovered from the scene, leaving in question the fate of dozens of people missing since the slide.

Mr. Hots attributed the county's change in policy, in part, to the need for better coordination of information between recovery crews and the medical examiner's office. He said the change was also aimed at being more sensitive to families of missing people.

Travis Hots, chief of Snohomish County Fire Districts 21/22, said Friday the official death count stood at 17.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304688104579467473105878670.html

Thanks Blondie for the updates. I still can't wrap my head around this. So many innocent lives....................

One of the saddest things ever. This town is suffering deeply.

John de Leon ‏@DeLeon_Times 6m
#530slide: Haakenson: ID process 'very, very challenging.' Only after chaplain alerts family will media be notified.

AMY CLANCY ‏@Amy_Clancy 5m
Path of #530slide victim-marked for pick-up, transp to ME, autopsy performed, ID'd if poss. If ID'd, chaplain visits family. THEN announced.

:bump: in memory of those lost and those who are still missing

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/30/us-usa-mudslide-washingtonstate-idUSBREA2L0R020140330

Local churches offered prayers on Sunday for dozens of people dead and missing from last week's devastating mudslide in Washington state and words of solace for grieving families and friends, many of whom are still waiting for news of loved ones who vanished.

The official death toll from the March 22 catastrophe northeast of Seattle stood at 18, based on the number of victims whose bodies have been recovered and positively identified by medical examiners.

But Snohomish County authorities have acknowledged finding 10 more sets of remains that have yet to be identified, putting the overall presumed body count at 28.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak
Back