2 unrepentant about selling Katrina gift

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
windovervocalcords said:
The Church thoroughly screened all the applicants with extensive interviewing.

If it turns out there is room for improvement in the Church's screening process for future candidates of charity, the Church has benefited again.

Absolutely. And, that old couple who gets scammed by the "roofers" who charge half up front and then skip town? That's a great lesson for the old people as well.

JBean said:
I agree down the line Karole. I think these people could have and should have handled this whole thing differently. We can always hope the people will respond in kind or "pay it forward" but we all also know it just doesn't always work that way.
I know that I already am very careful about donating money and find myself doing a lot of homework before I let up a dime.

I'm very careful too. Any time I hear about a "charitable" organization who gives 70% of their money to their administrators, or somesuch, it's a real let down.

I was part of a large group that was duped or scammed several years ago by a family after a natural disaster. This family came to me through a co-worker, who met them through a church group. Everyone from my work donated to this family. Long story short, they bailed after they collected all of the money, clothes, food and even a car. Come to find out, they lost nothing in the hurricane. They were just looking to cash in on the kindness of others, they were strapped for cash prior to the hurricane (this was in Florida) and thought they could just jump on the bandwagon and no one would be the wiser.

KrisNine said:
I was part of a large group that was duped or scammed several years ago by a family after a natural disaster.

And, I'm sure, reflecting on this, you're very thankful for the valuable lesson you've learned.

Right?

(that really is a shame, I don't know how people live with themselves)

Karole28 said:
I'm very careful too. Any time I hear about a "charitable" organization who gives 70% of their money to their administrators, or somesuch, it's a real let down.
I feel like this whole "Think Pink" for BC is nothing but a marketing scam at this point. If you research the companies you will find out how many actually are lending to the BC cause and how many are just making pink labels and jumping on the pink bandwagon.
I do not buy anything with the BC pink because I feel like I am being duped most of the time. I would rather donate direectly to an organization that I am as comfortable as possible is doing what they say they are doing.

But taken out of context, "JBean won't participate in the BC Think Pink campaign", I sound like a real schmuck. but the reality is I refuse to be a schmuck!

JBean said:
But taken out of context, "JBean won't participate in the BC Think Pink campaign", I sound like a real schmuck. but the reality is I refuse to be a schmuck!

I really do prefer to give locally when I can. I know exactly what you're saying.

Here is a good website for anything you want to check out:
Click me!

And isn't it a shame you have to devote hours of research to help someone??

Karole28 said:
And, I'm sure, reflecting on this, you're very thankful for the valuable lesson you've learned.

Right?

(that really is a shame, I don't know how people live with themselves)
Ah, not so much. I'm a bitter person!! :) Of course, I guess we all learn lessons from the mistakes we make, but this is one I could have done without. I'm still shocked when I see people take advantage of others. I don't know how people do it and live with themselves either, Karole28.

Karole28 said:
Absolutely. And, that old couple who gets scammed by the "roofers" who charge half up front and then skip town? That's a great lesson for the old people as well.
You do not understand my post at all. You are distorting the content and intention of my post. You are trying to make it seem as though I favor elderly people getting ripped off. That is ridiculous.

I am talking about moral or spiritual values because they have been raised by others on this thread.
I have a long career of public service including many years working for elderly and disabled adults to protect them from fraud and abuse.

Seniors may be seemingly closer to death than some of us. While they are more vulnerable in some ways, they are often wiser in others. I am sure they also have an interest in cultivating their positive qualities. A positive attitude often results in greater health and well being and in many cases may contribute to longer life.

KrisNine said:
Ah, not so much. I'm a bitter person!! :) Of course, I guess we all learn lessons from the mistakes we make, but this is one I could have done without. I'm still shocked when I see people take advantage of others. I don't know how people do it and live with themselves either, Karole28.

Meh, you don't seem bitter!

I don't think you made a mistake helping someone whether or not they were necessarily needy. You still get karma points for that.

As a matter of fact, I guess you get their karma points. They were just transferred from their account to yours.

:)

windovervocalcords said:
You do not understand my post at all. You are distorting the content and intention of my post. You are trying to make it seem as though I favor elderly people getting ripped off. That is ridiculous.

So, the church learned a valuable lesson being ripped off. And, that's not a bad thing in your opinion.
Old people are off limits.

What if there were old church members? Does the church membership cancel out their being elderly?
:rolleyes:
hmm...

Karole28 said:
So, the church learned a valuable lesson being ripped off. And, that's not a bad thing in your opinion.
Old people are off limits.

What if there were old church members? Does the church membership cancel out their being elderly?
:rolleyes:
hmm...
You clearly do not understand my posts.

windovervocalcords said:
You clearly do not understand my posts.

I may not, you're right.

You said:
windovervocalcords said:
The Church thoroughly screened all the applicants with extensive interviewing. If it turns out there is room for improvement in the Church's screening process for future candidates of charity, the Church has benefited again.

Maybe you can clarify?

Karole28 said:
I really do prefer to give locally when I can. I know exactly what you're saying.

Here is a good website for anything you want to check out:
Click me!

And isn't it a shame you have to devote hours of research to help someone??
Thanks for the link and YES it is a rotten shame. But it is just a necessity of life.

Karole28 said:
I may not, you're right.

You said:

Maybe you can clarify?
The Church thought they were screening applicants well and had picked the most needy candidates. Now they are having second thoughts. If this causes them to change their methods for the future some good has come from this misfortune.

Does that make sense?

windovervocalcords said:
Only those who give conditionally will reconsider their giving.
Maybe this makes me a horrible person but pretty much all my charitable gifts are conditional-if I'm donating to an organization like the Salvation Army my condition is that the bulk of my money be used for charity-not for administrative costs. If I'm giving someone money the condition would be that they really need it-I'm not giving unconditionally to the wealthy.

I work hard for my money as I assume most everyone on this board does. If I'm giving it away I want it to do the most amount of good possible. If I give money to a cause and later find the spirit of that gift has been abused you can be sure I'll reconsider how I give the next time I send checks to charities.

Becca

This sounds similar to what happened on an edition of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. A couple took in a family of kids and had this beautiful house built for them only to turn around months later and "give the kids back" to where they had been (state custody?)
Anyway, there were NO stipulations, strings (what have you) on the couple; so the children were back to poverty while the couple continue to live in this beautiful new home....
I guess there's nothing wrong with this scenario either...right?

If this family were in such dire straights "begging" for a place to live, then where did they stay for the 7 months that they owned the house before selling it? These people con'd this church.... Even though they did nothing wrong legally they cause good, caring, giving people to doubt to continue to do good things...that sucks!

:clap: well said....

beakiebean said:
Maybe this makes me a horrible person but pretty much all my charitable gifts are conditional-if I'm donating to an organization like the Salvation Army my condition is that the bulk of my money be used for charity-not for administrative costs. If I'm giving someone money the condition would be that they really need it-I'm not giving unconditionally to the wealthy.

I work hard for my money as I assume most everyone on this board does. If I'm giving it away I want it to do the most amount of good possible. If I give money to a cause and later find the spirit of that gift has been abused you can be sure I'll reconsider how I give the next time I send checks to charities.

Becca

windovervocalcords said:
The Church thought they were screening applicants well and had picked the most needy candidates. Now they are having second thoughts. If this causes them to change their methods for the future some good has come from this misfortune.

Does that make sense?

Sure it does! And, you're right! They've learned to mistrust and pay attorneys.

I guess you can say that's a good thing? maybe? somehow?

beakiebean said:

Becca
I don't think people who give even if conditionally are anything other than wanting to be generous. It is still better to give than to hold back. It is virtuous to give, even if it is conditional.

Of course, it makes sense to take care and be wise in giving.

When its possible to give with no strings attached, to give for the joy of giving, whether the recipient is ultimately "worthy" or not, that is the best way to accumulate virtue.

czechmate7 said:
Even though they did nothing wrong legally they cause good, caring, giving people to doubt to continue to do good things...that sucks!

And, this is exactly the essence of how this is wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GEC0704
Back