2009.02.20 3:00pm FDLE Presser

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very frustrating. I'm getting the feeling that LE isn't looking for a live child, with the lack of info, etc. Is it just me???

I know the amber alert status hasn't changed this is just maddening though, what with the daily presser about nothing and what we're not going to say! :furious:

I just heard on HLN that during the presser - LE said they have the Federal Marshalls involved now? Did anyone else hear that?

Would that be for out of state tips? Or would they be used locally?
I am not familiar with the Federal Marshalls..

This federal marshal thing has me scratching my head. I have never heard of federal marshals being brough in on a missing person case, or a domestic, local crime. That is not what they do. I know a retired federal marshal.

Here - this is from their website:

The U.S. Marshals Service is the nation’s oldest and most versatile federal law enforcement
agency. Federal Marshals have served the country since 1789, oftentimes in unseen but
critical ways. To this day, the Marshals occupy a uniquely central position in the federal justice
system. It is the enforcement arm of the federal courts, and as such, it is involved in virtually
every federal law enforcement initiative.
Presidentially appointed U.S. Marshals direct the activities of 94 districts — one for each
federal judicial district. More than 3,320 Deputy Marshals and Criminal Investigators form the
backbone of the agency. Among their many duties, they apprehend more than half of all
federal fugitives, protect the federal judiciary, operate the Witness Security Program, transport
federal prisoners and seize property acquired by criminals through illegal activities.

Here is their website:

http://www.usmarshals.gov/index.html

I found the above info on the tab "fact sheets". There is also a "sex offender" fact sheet.

Strange this "arm of LE" has been brought in on this case. Maybe because there are just so many RSO's around the area? I don't quite think that is the case. I just don't know.

The Marshals Service is responsible for apprehending wanted fugitives, providing protection for the federal judiciary, transporting federal prisoners (see JPATS), protecting endangered federal witnesses, and managing assets seized from criminal enterprises. The Marshals Service is responsible for 55.2 percent of arrests of federal fugitives. In 2007, U.S. Marshals captured over 36,000 federal fugitives and cleared over 38,900 fugitive warrants.[4]

The United States Marshals Service also executes all lawful writs, processes, and orders issued under the authority of the United States, and shall command all necessary assistance to execute its duties.

U.S. Marshals also have the common law based power to enlist any willing civilians as deputies. In the Old West this was known as forming a posse, although under the Posse Comitatus Act, they cannot use soldiers for law enforcement duties.

Lastly Title 28 USC Chapter 37 § 564. authorizes United States marshals, deputy marshals and such other officials of the Service as may be designated by the Director, in executing the laws of the United States within a State, may exercise the same powers which a sheriff of the State may exercise in executing the laws thereof.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marshals_Service

What bothers me isn't that they won't give information, I guess I can understand that... in a way, I guess... LOL But it's the way they won't give the information. It feels like they're intimating "something", playing games, toying with everyone. If this is strategy to help find Haleigh, ok, I can live with it. There's just something about the way they're going about it that feels "funny". The whole exchange about how many searchers... for crying out loud! Would it hurt to give out simple things like some general facts...

LOL I thought the same thing. They are playing their cards, playing the players, and playing a role....on purpose IMO. They are playing with a yet to be named suspect, IMHO.:clap: Brilliant! I love this cool as a cucumber sheriff.

Is anyone else worried that it's a real possibility that the exasperation of the reporters at today's 3PM presser are getting so frustrated that they might leave and stop giving the story so much attention?

any word on when the house will be released ?

i think they would like to keep it as long as possible. i think they know misty did it but also know that proving it will probably be difficult. LE wants to find the body and then hope that whatever they find with the body will link them back to the house. if they release the house, then potential evidence could be destroyed.

Federal Marshalls have interstate jurisdiction whereas the Sheriff is limited in jurisdiction to the county. They are the federal police, if you will. They can seize ships, make arrests, etc. I don't know the entire spectrum of their authority, these are just examples.

Is anyone else worried that it's a real possibility that the exasperation of the reporters at today's 3PM presser are getting so frustrated that they might leave and stop giving the story so much attention?

i can see that happening.

their not releasing any info hasn't turned up haleigh so maybe releasing info will have better results?

US marshalls do help in missing kid cases, if you google "us marshalls missing kids" there is a lot that comes up...
I think there are actually two things going on in this small town right now..
Haileigh missing, and a bunch of SO missing or not accounted for as they thaught they were before the case with Haileigh began.
I think they are allowing Haileighs case to take presidence as to "hide" their faults with the SO's in the area.. JMO

There is a newer US Marshall team being used to hunt down SO

Federal Marshalls have interstate jurisdiction whereas the Sheriff is limited in jurisdiction to the county. They are the federal police, if you will. They can seize ships, make arrests, etc. I don't know the entire spectrum of their authority, these are just examples.

We have a friend who is a Fed Marshall - he was involved in the Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild) case. He has some crazy stories - very interesting line of work.

I thought LE said that all the RSO's had been accounted for?

I think the press finally has realized LE has NO CLUE about what happened and is getting tired of all these press conferences designed to make LE look like they are doing something constructive.

i can see that happening.

their not releasing any info hasn't turned up haleigh so maybe releasing info will have better results?

If anyone will be around to listen or report on it at that point!

Ah - thought. Maybe the Marshals are being used to look for C. Reynolds. He is a RSO that is missing.

This is very frustrating. I'm getting the feeling that LE isn't looking for a live child, with the lack of info, etc. Is it just me???

I know the amber alert status hasn't changed this is just maddening though, what with the daily presser about nothing and what we're not going to say! :furious:

Sadly, I agree. Someone (Seriously Searching?) reported that they said the real story would be the "recovery". Usually that means remains, imo. Poor little girl.

Just wondering why they would need to use them. It appears that all of the surrounding counties LE divisions have been working together on this very well to begin with. Why pull in Marshals unless they are now adding different states to the mix. Or they have someone on the run and they really want him picked up. I would think if it was a drug ring, *advertiser censored*, is human trafficking they would use FBI and they are already on the case.

Just found it odd. You don't usually hear about Marshals getting involved in something until it goes to trial and you find out they were the one to apprehend someone or to seize evidence from multiple areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8