2009.03.25 - Motions Hearing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Seeing GA and CA sitting there in court...I have to wonder...have they not returned to work yet? The daily TV appearances are done and court is only once in awhile...what's keeping them busy?

They're out cruising in the new KFN speedboat, searching for Caylee's killer. :rage:

Why would CA/GA keep a smug look on their faces? It's like at the memorial - they are gloating that they were pulling something over the public's eye. Who in the world would CA have been busy texting in the courtroom? Maybe there is no rule about having cell phones turned on in Florida courtrooms? Was it her phone or JBs? I still wonder if these CA's hugs to JB after the hearings are an excuse for exchanging notes to/from KC.

Can't wait to see the smirks suddenly fade when the guilty verdict-LWOP-is read. Just watched the end of the hearing and SEEING the smirks on those 2 really makes my blood boil! OMG!!!!!!!

Baez was asked if he was surprised at the judges reaction at the end of the hearing and Baez asnwered," I don't think I should reply on his temper tantrums.."

Are you kidding me? Baez dissed da judge? :eek:

Seeing GA and CA sitting there in court...I have to wonder...have they not returned to work yet? The daily TV appearances are done and court is only once in awhile...what's keeping them busy?

Oh Patty, George and Cindy have a new job. They have to wait until another child goes "missing", so they can pull Kidfinders new boat, the "SS Caylee Marie" around behind their car! And that's just until they can get their own non-profit up and running! ....* she said sarcastically!:rolleyes:

This picture is the most telling to me. Just look at that smirk on JB's face. I am normally a calm person, but if I were the SA I would probably lose my cool at his smugness too.

This is right after he asked the judge to remind the SA about ethics. He sure looks worried about it doesn't he? He looks more like a little kid who just told on his big brother for something. Nah,na, nah, na, naaa, naaa.
http://media.myfoxorlando.com/photogalleries/032509anthonyhearing/1/lg/41.htm

I agree. The other attorney at the defense table, who is, I believe, Jose Garcia, always looks so serious, attentive, and interested in what is being said by the judge, Baez, AND the SA. All Baez does practically all throughout the hearings, is smile his little sassy smirks! The man makes me sick.

Wish I could! I'll pick a better seat next time.

Here are some observations from notes I took during the hearing:

Different courtroom, maybe because of the short notice?
Baez & Garcia arrived at 10:15, I went in the courtroom then and Casey was already in there at 10:20.

Took a seat, then George & Cindy came in a couple minutes later and sat right by me. Uggg, that means I'll be in the zooms on them....

KC did NOT look at her parents AT ALL during the hearing, she did give them an extremely brief glance when leaving, wasn't really smiling or anything tho. I actually thought she looked kind of upset when leaving.

Cindy chewed gum throughout the hearing (Courtroom decorum rules, posted right outside the courtroom, say NO GUM. #15). She also texted a bunch, and her and George held hands quite a bit.

Near the beginning, Judge Strickland says to the SA "How do you know they're not working for free?" and Cindy says - loud enough for those around her to hear - "That's right!"
I resisted the temptation to tell her that as an Orange County taxpayer, we DO NOT want to pay for a second trial because of something like this, and it DOES need to be determined by the judge.

On the way back in from the in camera meeting, KC looked almost ready to cry. Did not look at her parents (or anybody in the seats). You could hear her chains clinking throughout the courtroom. heh

REALLY wish I would have been closer at the end to hear what it was that Baez said to Ashton that made him erupt. Very unprofessional conduct on Baez's part, in my opinion. He has broken the Courtroom Decorum Policy a number of times, a number of ways. I don't think he has even read it! I see at least 5 out of 16 that he has violated.

Afterwards, Baez met with George & Cindy for a few minutes out in the hallway, they had to move away from all the reporters that were crowding around.

I might have a couple comments over in the Parking Lot thread, for those of you interested.... :)[/quote

Feeling kind of dumb, but how do i get to the parking lot?

This made me feel like I was sitting right there in the courtroom. Thanks for posting it.

Oh and I too posted a reply that was moved to "the parking lot". I don't even know what that is...is it for naughty posters! :)

anyway, it is in the "inevitable movie" thread...and I included pics of all the stars I think will play the main characters...but can't find where the parking lot or my post is now...:waitasec:

This made me feel like I was sitting right there in the courtroom. Thanks for posting it.

Oh and I too posted a reply that was moved to "the parking lot". I don't even know what that is...is it for naughty posters! :)

anyway, it is in the "inevitable movie" thread...and I included pics of all the stars I think will play the main characters...but can't find where the parking lot or my post is now...:waitasec:

Yup...for us naughty ones! LOL! Here's the url for the Parking lot, AtlantaPI. If you click on "Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community" at the top left of any page, it will take you to the main page, and the Private rooms like Parking Lot and Jury Room are all the way at the bottom. HTH!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Bold is mine-
Yup!

I just read your sig line. My brother was bipolar, I lost him last summer. God bless you as you travel down that road, I know it's a bumpy ride.

Sorry for the OT. :)

Jose's request to the Judge that the in camera discussions be ruled private so as to prevent leaks was just a jab and a taunt to SA, in my opinion. ...I am not surprised that SA reacted to it this time, but I bet they won't again. They now know unprofessional behaviour is the name of the game.

Whatever happened to shaking hands after a hearing in the hall? JB doesn't seem to realize that this isn't personal!! It is a job. ...(snipped)

JB's conduct in the courtroom, all that smirking wise:butthead: over-the-top in the unprofessional category does remind us what kind of conduct will cause an experienced defense attorney to drag the client out into the hallway or into a conference room during a recess which will occur naturally in the progress of things or be immediately requested by the defense attorney who is now alarmed, extremely annoyed, and apologetic on behalf of the misbehaving client

The client will then be beaten over the head with a heavy book such as Black's Law Dictionary or some other weighty legal tome until such time as the client returns to his/her senses, is appropriately admonished, and informed that if this BS continues, the defense lawyer will file a motion to disappear i.e. get off the case.

(Exaggeration used for emphasis only)

To see this type of behavior in a Courtroom which is in session is disturbing at best. The snide comments, jabs, and whatever other hostilities might beg to be exchanged, are simply not appropriate for a Court in session and for the conduct to be displayed in an ongoing fashion to the point where we have come to anticipate it is sad sad and sad. JB has to learn to turn it off when the Judge gets on the Bench. A jury will be neither impressed nor amused.

There is a HUGE differense between a momentary lapse and a continuing course of behavior.

There is nothing even vaguely amusing about what the Jury will be seeing & hearing and when they see a toddler's skull photographed with duct tape and hair, well, these are things which will most likely haunt them for the rest of their lives.

This is a serious, somber matter, the course of which is governed by law and Rules of Procedure. There is no room in that mix for these haughty JB type displays.

If he wanted to present a heated argument based upon the actual law, the actual procedural rules, and the statutes, nobody would expect anything other than a passionate presentation. That's his job.

But for the lawyer to confuse the concepts of "passionate & zealous" with this smirking stuff is something which will also be long remembered for the degree to which it is inappropriate.

Perhaps, had more time been devoted to preparation & less to antics, we would have seen a motion filed by JB, ahead of time, along with his response, to do the hearing in camera. That motion is obviously concluded so it does not matter. Other than that, I really don't want to give any advice.

Humble-Opinion:wolf:

I have to say that our high schools' mock trial teams are much more professional than JB. I don't get how he can get away with such unprofessional ism without being reprimanded.

Just to be sure that my memory is clear, wasn't the defense the party that refused the gag order that the SA asked for?

I just read your sig line. My brother was bipolar, I lost him last summer. God bless you as you travel down that road, I know it's a bumpy ride.

Sorry for the OT. :)

I am so sorry for your loss, cajan. Living with Bipolar isn't easy but I imagine watching us die is even harder. *hugs* I suspect he is finally at peace.. I hope you can find peace in that. :blowkiss:

Is this a different courtroom? And they all switched sides they sit on.

this hearing was held in the courtroom on the 23rd floor of the Orange County Courthouse. It is a very large courtroom that can accomidate 3 times as many people as a normal courtroom and it is media friendly. Most high profile cases are held in this courtroom.

JB's conduct in the courtroom, all that smirking wise:butthead: over-the-top in the unprofessional category does remind us what kind of conduct will cause an experienced defense attorney to drag the client out into the hallway or into a conference room during a recess which will occur naturally in the progress of things or be immediately requested by the defense attorney who is now alarmed, extremely annoyed, and apologetic on behalf of the misbehaving client

The client will then be beaten over the head with a heavy book such as Black's Law Dictionary or some other weighty legal tome until such time as the client returns to his/her senses, is appropriately admonished, and informed that if this BS continues, the defense lawyer will file a motion to disappear i.e. get off the case.

(Exaggeration used for emphasis only)

To see this type of behavior in a Courtroom which is in session is disturbing at best. The snide comments, jabs, and whatever other hostilities might beg to be exchanged, are simply not appropriate for a Court in session and for the conduct to be displayed in an ongoing fashion to the point where we have come to anticipate it is sad sad and sad. JB has to learn to turn it off when the Judge gets on the Bench. A jury will be neither impressed nor amused.

There is a HUGE differense between a momentary lapse and a continuing course of behavior.

There is nothing even vaguely amusing about what the Jury will be seeing & hearing and when they see a toddler's skull photographed with duct tape and hair, well, these are things which will most likely haunt them for the rest of their lives.

This is a serious, somber matter, the course of which is governed by law and Rules of Procedure. There is no room in that mix for these haughty JB type displays.

If he wanted to present a heated argument based upon the actual law, the actual procedural rules, and the statutes, nobody would expect anything other than a passionate presentation. That's his job.

But for the lawyer to confuse the concepts of "passionate & zealous" with this smirking stuff is something which will also be long remembered for the degree to which it is inappropriate.

Perhaps, had more time been devoted to preparation & less to antics, we would have seen a motion filed by JB, ahead of time, along with his response, to do the hearing in camera. That motion is obviously concluded so it does not matter. Other than that, I really don't want to give any advice.

Humble-Opinion:wolf:

Thank you kindly! Excellent post! :dance::dance:

Now, one quick question, and it's not about advice. LOL!

What is the reason that the Judge does not demand proper respect in the courtroom? I admit I am in another country but our courts are more formal. Yes Your Honour! No Your Honour! May I approach the bench, Your Honour! And no lawyer would dare swagger up with his hands in his pockets, smirking. Yikes! As for gum chewing, wearing shorts or text messaging in court. Again Yikes! It just isn't done.

Is this just Florida courts or just this Judge?

Thank you kindly! Excellent post! :dance::dance:

Now, one quick question, and it's not about advice. LOL!

What is the reason that the Judge does not demand proper respect in the courtroom? I admit I am in another country but our courts are more formal. Yes Your Honour! No Your Honour! May I approach the bench, Your Honour! And no lawyer would dare swagger up with his hands in his pockets, smirking. Yikes! As for gum chewing, wearing shorts or text messaging in court. Again Yikes! It just isn't done.

Is this just Florida courts or just this Judge?

I worked in the Orange County Courthouse as a trial clerk until I recently retired, and I can tell you that any of the Judges I worked with would not allow gum chewing, cell phones or any improper court protocol. Since I have not worked with that particular judge, I cannot say why he would allow this.

I worked in the Orange County Courthouse as a trial clerk until I recently retired, and I can tell you that any of the Judges I worked with would not allow gum chewing, cell phones or any improper court protocol. Since I have not worked with that particular judge, I cannot say why he would allow this.

I thank you kindly for that information. Devorahhh. i was amazed at JB attitude and actions and just wondered if the rules were more relaxed in Florida.

O/T You must have had avery interesting career and have many stories to tell about both Judges and attornies. :D

Just to be sure that my memory is clear, wasn't the defense the party that refused the gag order that the SA asked for?

They sure did. JB would never go for that becuase then he couldn't use motions hearings to make statements to the media about his client's innocence. I don't really think he fears leaks. If you saw his face when he said that, it's clear that he's just saying it as strategy. He's trying to undermine the public's opinion of, and confidence in LE. These underhanded tactics are going to backfire on him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ribut1932
Back