2009.04.13 State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don't think that she should be kept alive simply because of George and Cindy. However, before seeking the death penalty, prosecutors take into consideration the wishes of the victim's family, which in this case are the accused's family also. The Anthonys obviously are against this. his is but one of many considerations that are weighed, and obviously in this case, LE feels that it is warranted. I am not second guessing them; I was offering my own perspective on it.

I realize how the depos portrayed the Anthonys, and in no way do I agree with their stance. That being said, I still don't wish on them the horror of KC's execution. An eye for an eye aside, I am not certain that justice will be served by killing KC. I have no illusios that she can be rehabilitated either. This is one cold-blooded killer, and she deservs to be locked up for the rest of her days.

Although I respect your opinion the state also takes into consideration - during sentencing - the victim/victim's family impact statement(s) - sadly the victim in this case, Caylee Marie, has no one to give her impact statement because her pathetic gp's, the individuals who created the monster who killed her, continue to defend her killer - I applaud the State of Florida in their decision - They are Caylee's only "victim impact statement."
MOO

Certainly could be, Broderick. Great point.

What if LE were to have found that this particular diary or notebook was not in production prior to maybe even late 2008? I tend to believe that the diary entry was written in 2008.

I've also heard on TV shows, like Forensic Files, that all inks are given a unique chemical marker each YEAR. That way the date/year of any written message can be identified by forensic analysts. They WILL be certain what year KC wrote that message, no doubt!

If CA or GA does stand up and says anythang, it will be for KC. Nothing has or will change.

This is heartbreaking. I hadn't thought of no one being there to speak for and of Caylee at the sentencing phase (should Casey be convicted). I have seen many videos of family speaking of their lost loved one, retelling tales, and most of all, of things they will never enjoy together again. :( My goodness, that poor angel won't have anyone to say those things for her.

Aileen Wuornos (the movie Monster was about her, Charleze Theoron won Oscar for her haunting performance of her) is the most famous of the women they have executed..
The trials for the various people she murded ended in 1993 and after numerous appeal rejections she was executed by lethal injection October 9, 2002
Nine years for the process is pretty impressive.

Someone else may have responded to this before I found it but I believe Wuornos put an end to her own appeal process by choice thus hastening her execution.

This is heartbreaking. I hadn't thought of no one being there to speak for and of Caylee at the sentencing phase (should Casey be convicted). I have seen many videos of family speaking of their lost loved one, retelling tales, and most of all, of things they will never enjoy together again. :( My goodness, that poor angel won't have anyone to say those things for her.

The Grunds who probably spent more quality time with Caylee than the entire A family put together will certainly stand up for her.

Ok... here is a question for anyone.

Can the state then double back off the DP, and change their minds, seeking a life sentence instead?

I'm impressed with this gutsy move today, but could it be it was for the purpose of shaking the tree, and trying to get a plea deal from KC?

Spokesperson for JB is adamant that this isn't a DP case.

Sometimes the SA will give the jury the choice of murder options, like 1st or second degree. I don't think they will this time. But the jury does get the options on life or DP if they find her guilty. But as far as them later dropping the DP, I don't think they will this late in the process. They considered the DP earlier, then seemed to decide no. By putting it back on the table, I would think that they will stick with it now.

From what I remember when they were talking DP before, JB sent them the letter (Nov?) that was leaked. In the letter he hinted at some type of accidental death. It was after that that the SA seemed to drop the DP. My theory (guess) is that they now have all the lab results, and that in those results they have something that absolutely points away from an accident. I am guessing they now have a very good idea of the cause of death. Toxicology results often take something like 17 weeks or more to get completed. So the timeline is right for the tox report to be the determining factor for this. I am guessing that the tox came back with such high numbers that there was no way it could be considered an accidental death. Whatever it is, I am thinking that it will be something that is shocking. So maybe the speculation of child *advertiser censored* may not be too outrageous after all.

For those who are thinking the defense might consider a plea now- don't count on it. Both sides have to be agreeable to a plea. Back in Nov when JB's letter was written, it might have been a possibility. But there has been a lot happen since then. Caylee has been found, all or most of the testing should be completed. Which means that the state has already spent or committed a lot of funding to the trial. The state wouldn't benefit that much by a plea.

The biggest challenge is going to be seating a jury. The jury will not only have to be willing to determine that a young girl is capable of killing her child, they will have to judge guilt. That isn't unusual. But this jury will not only have to be willing to use the DP, they will have to be willing to give the DP to a young female, who is reasonably attractive. And sadly that can be a challenge. So I am guessing that whatever the state has, they feel that whatever they have is so horrendous, will be so shocking to the jury that it will overcome any reluctance the jury may have to give a young female mother the death penalty.

I heard Florida is second to Texas in executing DR inmates. Anyone know if that's true? If so, and she gets the DP, she probably won't reach her mid 30s.

Consider population when comparing counts of DR inmates--

You really want to compare per capita when you compare DR inmates. It's hard to do accurately, because of the long time people stay on Death Row v.s. demographic shifts.

California is considered a "liberal" sentencing state, but it's populous so it's number one. Texas is considered "conservative", but it's number 3. Florida is a bit of both, but it's number 2, and so on.

Pretty much any state that matters in a presidential race is in the top ten, mainly because of population. Alabama is 5th in death row population, but only 23rd in population.

See the following links:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/death-row-inmates-state-and-size-death-row-year
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population

Disclaimer: I have no position on the death penalty one way or another

I've also heard on TV shows, like Forensic Files, that all inks are given a unique chemical marker each YEAR. That way the date/year of any written message can be identified by forensic analysts. They WILL be certain what year KC wrote that message, no doubt!
You just joggled my brain. Perhaps they could also identify the year the diary was manufactured. That should be simple.

Wonder which Casey will pick, injection or electric chair, it's the condemned person's choice in Florida.

Wonder which Casey will pick, injection or electric chair, it's the condemned person's choice in Florida.

I wish the public could pick.....hands down it would be the CHAIR. Lethal injection is too painless and easy for a monster like her.

But wouldn't it be a better justice if a convicted killer had to suffer the same death they inflicted on their victim?

Hehe.. I'm curious to see if it's all a bluff for a plea.. and who does or does not takes the bait... and who soils their pants. :p

My thoughts exactly Issi. My thoughts exactly. I hope not, but this could show a weakness in the forensic evidence.

JMO though, and I do hope I am wrong

I feel like I'm at a lynching, with everybody yelling get a rope and hang em high.
ugh
Yeah...I don't feel like celebrating at all. But I GUESS I can understand how everyone feels. I know she deserves it...and since time immortal people have loved a good beheading in the square. I guess there were always really big turnouts at the Tower of London. Makes me feel sadder than gladder personally. In my heart I don't believe in the DP....but the law is the law.

My thoughts exactly Issi. My thoughts exactly. I hope not, but this could show a weakness in the forensic evidence.

JMO though, and I do hope I am wrong
I hope your wrong,too. I always thought SA took the death penalty off because there was no way the Anthony's would ever cooperate in a death penalty case.After the depositions the A's have shown they will stick to the story with KC.That gives the SA no incentive to hold back on the death penalty.And there is always the chance a smarter attorney will come in and convince KC to plea. I hope not.I already have front row seats to the trial:D.

Yeah...I don't feel like celebrating at all. But I GUESS I can understand how everyone feels. I know she deserves it...and since time immortal people have loved a good beheading in the square. I guess there were always really big turnouts at the Tower of London. Makes me feel sadder than gladder personally. In my heart I don't believe in the DP....but the law is the law.
Do you know why I'm glad? Not because of the execution,but because the threat of the DP must put the Fear of God into KC,her parents and her brother.It ratchets everything up a notch and will make them rethink their position. I want to see them squirm .

Consider population when comparing counts of DR inmates--

You really want to compare per capita when you compare DR inmates. It's hard to do accurately, because of the long time people stay on Death Row v.s. demographic shifts.

California is considered a "liberal" sentencing state, but it's populous so it's number one. Texas is considered "conservative", but it's number 3. Florida is a bit of both, but it's number 2, and so on.

Pretty much any state that matters in a presidential race is in the top ten, mainly because of population. Alabama is 5th in death row population, but only 23rd in population.

See the following links:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/death-row-inmates-state-and-size-death-row-year
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population

Disclaimer: I have no position on the death penalty one way or another

It appears to me that your link is listing the number of people on death row and the poster you responded to was referring to the number of executions performed. Two very different things.

This is from the same link you cited (thanks, it is informative) and it lists state executions carried out per capita:
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/state-execution-rates

Although I respect your opinion the state also takes into consideration - during sentencing - the victim/victim's family impact statement(s) - sadly the victim in this case, Caylee Marie, has no one to give her impact statement because her pathetic gp's, the individuals who created the monster who killed her, continue to defend her killer - I applaud the State of Florida in their decision - They are Caylee's only "victim impact statement."
MOO

Very well stated!!!!
Poor little Caylee was abandoned by her entire family!

Do you know why I'm glad? Not because of the execution,but because the threat of the DP must put the Fear of God into KC,her parents and her brother.It ratchets everything up a notch and will make them rethink their position. I want to see them squirm .

I sincerely doubt the DP will threaten Casey at all.......or her family! It should but they proclaim her innocence.

I think every state should have the DP, I live in Wi & we do not. We have had some that really need to be put down. I am tired of supporting the worthless pieces of garbage. Jeffrey Dahmer's killer should of been given a reward. We also have Steve Avery! :doh: :sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay