2010.04.15 Presser Video: Sheriff, Haleigh Likely Dead; POI Identified

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BBM Yeah, I would hang on to that bird ROTFL. The Sheriff says they are just starting to talk & cooperate. It would not surprise me to hear a number of other stories yet. We don't even know if they are the same stories.

After a year and a metric ton of pills, etc, along with all the butt-covering, I would be very surprized if they were telling the same story. Good luck to LE on this.

Such a tight-knit group of people, I don't get it - there is really nothing that these little pishers would have on me that would make me cover up a murder I didn't do. Why the heck don't they roll?

IIRC.. Ron C told the story to Cobra first.. IIRC it went something like this..Ron C stated something to the fact IF.....you never want a body found here is where you put it... And went on to say something about Jo like to put small animals in there to see what the gators would do to them..
As I see here we supposedly have a grieving father who claims to have no knowledge of where his precious child is or what happened to her, yet he tells a disgusting hideous story of this nature..

RONALD CUMMINGS is a Sociopath in its truest form.....JMO

My thoughts exactly. Setting the stage early, in my opinionl.

For me, and this Joe situation, my biggest question is why would Ron deny there was a fight with Joe, that Joe was even around? It's either/or here. Either Joe was there or he wasn't. Either Ron knows or he doesn't. With Joe getting a lawyer and being brought up again, I'm guessing that Ron knows, and Joe was there.

I didn't get the impression that he denied it as much as downplayed it. Since the gun was found and returned, he may not have felt that it was such a big deal. Others may have categorized it as a "fight", but he clearly didn't.

His reputation has gotten blown way out of proportion. He is very typical of many young men of his age and demographic - no more, no less. Drinking, some drug use, swagger, big talk, bragging, some fighting, carousing, etc., are very common. Doesn't mean that respect for one's mother, children, church, & country aren't also common.

sheriff: three days ago the putnam county sherriffs office assisted by divers from surrounding areas conducted a diligent search on the waterway and wooded area around shell harbor boat ramp. the search is a result of information obtained during interviews in th haleigh cummings case. items have been recovered at the search site, but at this point, it is not known that these items are related to this investigation. all items located in this search will be forwarded to several independent labs for analysis. the putnam county sherriffs office has recieved numerous inquiries regarding the status of this investigation, specifically if this is a missing persons investigation or a homicide investigation. over the past few weeks information has been obtained from investigators that lead them to believe that haleigh cummings is most likely deceased. the specific details of this information, can not, and iadd, will not , be released at this time. there are rumors spreading that a suspect has been taken into custody, as a result of this investigation. this rumor is not true. however, the investigative team has identified persons of interest in this case.

BBM.... one thing is telling here, and that is that he NEVER said that the "persons of interest" are NOT in custody. He said that a suspect is not in custody, which simply means that since they are not yet ready to file charges, they can not call these people suspects. He said that no one has been arrested in this case...and that is true...if someone who is in jail is a person of interest, they are not there on THIS charge. They would be separately arrested/charged with a completely different crime. The fact that he clearly stated that "these people have had time to sit around and think about things".....tells you just who their persons of interest probably include.

jmoo

Does anyone know how close the Croslins were to Haleigh? I mean, IF Toc or JO walked out of the MH carrying her, did she feel safe with them? Did she know who they were or were they strangers to her?

Hmm... interesting. I got such bad vibes from his 911 call reactions. It just seemed staged to me. But I have to admit that this same idea has (ever so) briefly floated through my head. Misty looked totally blind-sided in the video of the drug bust. I don't recall seeing Ron's reaction.

He's such a 'hot head' and he doesn't come across as a very patient individual, IMO. He also appears to want to take matters into his own hands and mete out his own style of 'justice' rather than patiently wait for LE to do their job.

Wouldn't it be something if he came out the hero in all this? I'd have to be eating some big time crow (instead of NG). I'm not cooking that bird just yet, though. ;)
You won't be forced to eat crow. Ron's no hero. He brought Misty back to that house to to share his bed & 'care' for his children. He, @ the very best, is no better than some horrible mother that brings an ex con pervert into her & her children's home-& then acts SOOOO surprised when one of her kids winds up dead-all the while defending the boyfriend. & we all know that we'd never call those moms, heros.

You won't be forced to eat crow. Ron's no hero. He brought Misty back to that house to to share his bed & 'care' for his children. He, @ the very best, is no better than some horrible mother that brings an ex con pervert into her & her children's home-& then acts SOOOO surprised when one of her kids winds up dead-all the while defending the boyfriend. & we all know that we'd never call those moms, heros.

He is no hero in any word, action, effort or attitude toward finding his daughter or finding who hurt her (assuming it was not him, which is still quite doubtful). NOTHING he has said or done either before or after she went missing even begins to resemble the actions of a hero! Hero's don't DO drugs, they certainly don't SELL drugs, they don't threaten people with dead rats, well....there are about a hundred more, but the point is made!

jmoo

JH: ...Shell Harbor Boat Ramp. This search is the result of information obtained during interviews of the Haleigh Cummings case. Items have been recovered at the search site, but at this point it is not known if these items are related to the Haleigh Cummings investigation. All items located during this search will be forwarded to several independent labs for analysis. The PCSO has received numerous inquiries regarding the status of this investigation, specifically if this is a missing person's investigation or a homicide investigation. Over the past few weeks, information has been obtained by investigators that lead them to believe that Haleigh Cummings is most likely deceased. The specific details of this information cannot, and I will add, will not, be released at this time. There have been rumors that a suspect has been taken into custody as a result of this investigation. This rumor is not true. However, the investigative team has identified PERSONS of interest in this case. Now I'm gonna go ahead and open up for some questions:

Q:Sir, can you tell me if you found a cinder block with a rope tied on it, and if you did, if it has anything to do with that tip that you got?
Ma'am we're not going to discuss anything of possible evidence that MIGHT have been located at the boat ramp, but thank you for your question.

Q: You've said all along that Misty is the key. Is that still the case?
Absolutely.

Q: Is it true this area has not been searched before?
This area has not been, you know we've searched lots of areas in Putnam County, but to say "did we put divers at this specific location" uh, the answer to that question would be no.

Q: Why not?
This is a huge river, and uh, we searched in areas surrounding the home uh that we believe she could have, uh, potentially been put in.

Q: Can you say anything more about what the tip was that led you to this spot?
Uh, the tip came from a source that led us to this area, and as we have in the past, we're gonna follow up on all leads and that, uh, is what led us to this area in for this dive that we have been doing for the last 3 days.

Q: Did that tip come from Tennessee?
No ma'am.

Q: Did it come from behind bars?
I'm not going to discuss where the tips came from....the leads came from. (added by me, he said tips and leads, plural)

Q: Can you tell us who those persons of interest are?
I will not be mentioning any names at this time.

Q: Can you tell us a little about Misty's visit yesterday?
Listen, people are starting to cooperate. That's why I've told people it's gonna be just a matter of time and we're going to accept any cooperation that we can get, so again, it's a good thing. People are starting to talk.

Q: How soon do you think this case can be solved?
We will follow this case to the end, and to give you a timeline on that, I'm not gonna do that.

Q: What kind of items are, like...are they little? Are you guys collecting little things too for analysis, like everything you see that might be something?
Absolutely. Let me tell you something. We've had something like 15, 25, 30 divers in this water every day. They have searched in zero/zero conditions using their bare hands, um, you know it's it's....a rough search. We've found everything from alligator toenails to, you know, you name it. We've pulled 'em out and we've looked at it and ... so.

Q: Sheriff, how likely is it, if she was in this river ... I'm generally speaking if she was in this river... how likely is it that you would actually find her with the gators and the current and the boats and the mud that you'd be able to find something that significant?
It's like looking for a needle in a haystack, but we were willing to go ahead and take the effort and the time to go look for that needle.

Q: Sheriff, you said some people are beginning to cooperate. Is Misty Croslin cooperating specifically and is there (helicopter noise drowns out rest of question).
As far as the cooperation goes, from who's cooperating and what plea bargains, I'm not here to talk about any of that. I dont' know of any plea bargain that's been offered to anybody. Just so you know.

Q: Do you think Haleigh died in this area?
It's our belief that this is, that's a ............. that's a very real possibility.

Q: Well, have you searched the land?
Yes, ma'am. We have searched the river banks obviously through due diligence we have went out and dived the area and searched on the other side of the river, searched this side of the river. Yeah...yeah, we've been there.

Q: How long are you gonna be staying out here?
We're getting ready to wrap up this search here today. We're gonna wrap it up about 6:00 this afternoon. And just because we're leaving here doesn't mean this lead isn't gonna be followed up any farther. We're gonna continue to run with the information that we have.

Q: Can you give an idea how long this analysis might take, and will it be, like, DNA type......can you talk a little about what kind of analysis will be (rest of question unclear).
A lot of the materials were analyzed on scene right there. We have an anthropologist, so a lot of the stuff that we had found was deemed non-evidence and we cleared it right there on the spot.

Q: If those items are not considered to be part of this case, do you still have a case against the person who likely killed Misty (sic)?
We are working on building a case. That's what we've been doing for the last 14 months.

Q: But without this physical evidence, do you still think you have a case?
Oh, yeah, we're working diligently to go forth with this, yes.

Q: But you did say you have items that you are getting analyzed, right?
Yes ma'am, and I'm not going to discuss the particular items that I've taken for analysis.

Q: How long are you going to be in this area?
Til 6:00 tonight. We're getting ready to shut this search down. And we're going to still continue forth with the leads that we have.

Q: The grandmother told us that her grandson Tommy gave her a confession saying he knows who did it and that it's Joe Overstreet in TN. What do you make of that story?
We've we've talked to Joe Overstreet in TN. We've interviewed him. We had two investigators from my agency, two agents from FDLE, and uh, we interviewed him again the other night, we've interviewed him before. He has an attorney and he's lawyered up.

Q: Do you consider this a homicide investigation or what?
At this point, I'm comfortable to go ahead and say I'm gonna call it a homicide.

Q: Is this a crime scene, would you call it that?
This right here, that's what we've been doing for the last three days. We've searched numerous areas in Putnam County. So we can't sit here and call every search area a crime scene.

Q: Sheriff, you say that you're building a case. Does that mean an arrest is imminent?
We're hoping to make an arrest in this case, let's be real about this, ok? Number 1, this case has been going on for 14 months. People are finally starting to talk. Where that's gonna lead us, I don't know. But we're gonna follow it to the end. And Yeah, we're trying to make an arrest, we're trying to bring somebody to justice for this little girl right here and her family. This is what it's about here today, not about me.

Q: How are they helping, what...how are they talking?

Well, they have a lot of time to sit and think about it.

Q: Early on in the investigation, they tracked Haleigh to the water's edge near the home.....
Right.

Q: Did dogs lead you to search this area?
No, it's been 14 months and the answer to that question is no.

Q: How many persons of interest or suspects do you have right now?
I'm just gonna say SEVERAL

Q: What did you learn from Misty at the dock yesterday?
That's information that's obviously going to be between me and my investigators.

Q: (question unclear)
If information becomes available, we'll search any area we have to.

Q: Can you at least explain her demeanor, have you seen a shift in her, Misty's demeanor?

Absolutely. Calmness, I think she's come to realize that...she's in trouble. I'm gonna take two more questions. So, I'm going to take 2 more questions.

Q: Has anything in the form of a body or (unclear) been found?
NO.

Q:How confident do you feel differently from 14 months ago ... do you feel like the case is getting stronger or do you feel it's about the same?
Well, we worked this case as hard as day one as today and to tell you how confident I am I'm confident I'm not gonna give up on this little girl and her family, so with that let's hope and pray that we can bring this thing to a logical conclusion for the family and thank you very much for coming.
(end presser)

reporter: can you tell me if you guys found a cinder block with a rope tied on it. if you did does it have anything to do with that tip

SH- mam were not going to discuss possible evidence that might have been found at the boat ramp, but thank you for the question

rprtr- youve said all along that misty is the key in this case. is that still true in your mind?

SH- absolutely.

rprtr- is it true that this area has not been searched before?

SH- this area has not been, you know, weve searched alot of areas in putnam county, to say that did we put divers in this specific location, uh, the answer to that question would be no.

rprtr- and why not?

SH- this is a huge river and we searched in areas surrounding the home that we believe that she could have potentially been put in.

rprtr- aything more on the tip that brought you to this spot?

SH- the tip came from a source that led us to this area and as we have in the past we are going to follow up on all leads and thats what led us to that area and for this dive that weve been doing the last three days.

rprtr- did that tip come from tenessee?

SH- no mam

rprtr- did that tip come from behind bars?

SH- im not going to discuss where the tips came from. the leads came from
rprtr- can you tell us who those persons of interest are?
SH- im not mentioning any names at this time
rprtr- can you tell us a little bit about mistys visit yesterday?
SH- listen,people are starting to cooperate. thats why ive told people its going to be a matter of time and we are going to accept any cooperation that we can get. so again its a good thing. people are starting to talk.

rprtr- when do you thing this case will be solved?
SH- we will follow this case to the end, and to give you a time line on that, im not going to do that.

rprtr- what kind of items, i mean are they little things , are you guys collecting little things for analysis? everything you see that might be something?

SH- absolutely, let me tell you something, weve had 15, 25, 30 divers in that water everyday. they have searched in zero, zero conditions, bare hands. its a rough search. we found everything from alligator toenails to you name it. and we pulled it out and looked at it. so

rprtr- if she wasin this river how likely would it be that you would find her with gators and the currents. how would you be able to find something that significant?

SH- its like looking for a needle in a haystack. but we were willing to go ahead and take the effort and the time to look for that needle

rprtr- u said that some people are beginning to cooperate. is misty croslin cooperating specifically and is there a plea bargain?

SH- as far as the cooperation goes,from who is cooperating and what plea bargains, im not here to talk aboutany of that. i dont know if any plea bargain has been offered to anybody, just so you know.

rprtr- do you think haleigh died in this area?
SH- its our belief that thats a real, real possibility.
rprtr- have u searched the land along this river
SH- yes mam. we have searched the river banks, obviously, through due diligence,and dived the area, and searched on the other side of the river and yeah weve been there.

rprtr- how long are you staying out here?
SH- we are getting ready to wrap up this search here today. wrap it up arond six oclock this afternoon and just because we're leaving here doesnt mean that this lead is not going to be followed up any farther. we are going to continue to run with any information that we have.

rprt- any idea how long this analysis might take and is it dna type. can you talk a little bit about the analysis.

SH- a lot of the materials were analyzed on scene right there. we had an anthropolgist on scene and so a lot of the stuff we had found was deemed non evidence and we cleared it right there on the spot.

sorry guys got tired. will try and finish rest in a few.

guess idont have to. lol! boy are my fingers tired, oh well at least my figers lost some weight today.

candlelight_vigil3.jpg

We are all still here for you,
Our Little Angel Haleigh.
Rest now, in Peace.
Condolences to all who loved you.

He is no hero in any word, action, effort or attitude toward finding his daughter or finding who hurt her (assuming it was not him, which is still quite doubtful). NOTHING he has said or done either before or after she went missing even begins to resemble the actions of a hero! Hero's don't DO drugs, they certainly don't SELL drugs, they don't threaten people with dead rats, well....there are about a hundred more, but the point is made!

jmoo

No argument from me - none whatsoever. My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek with the 'hero' comment.

If (that's a big, HUGE IF) Ron was working with the police in the drug sting in order to put the squeeze on someone, it's only because he cut a deal to save his own sorry butt. IMO, of course.

My mind is going in a diff direction......TN, GGMS and RC.....Misty was used, even tho she knows, I do not think she hurt Haleigh. I think she was threatened if she talked...TN was very worried about her talking......Seems to me TN and RC have tried to run the show from the get-go...I do not think that TC, TC, or any of the C's are involved, other than Misty covering.....I do not think that cousin Jo was involved either....these are my thoughts right now....they can change at any minute.....MO

one of my theories agrees with this. i think its possible that something happened to Haleigh while in the care of tn or ggms. i lean toward ggms. this is based on the fact that i dont think rc would cover for anybody except himself, tn or ggms. he obviously knows what happened as does tn so if it was anyone other than their family they would be dead. imo, whoever actually hurt Haleigh or let her be hurt was one of those three. the cover up involved others, imo, and that is who imo is talking. i think mc came home from her weekend of fun to the deed is done and promises from rc if she would play the part. this is obviously just a theory but the search area/crime scene is much closer to the home of ggms than it is to the mh. jmo

I keep thinking how RC came out of that meeting after hearing what we just heard.

That smug look on his face.

No falling down, no crying.

Can we at least get to the arrest part of the investigation without endlessly looping back to RC? He's in jail, he was just told his daughter was dead and his live-in's cousin did it. Maybe his expression wasn't smug. Maybe he was in shock and disgusted. I buried two parents without shedding a tear in public. Jackie Kennedy went through an assassination and a televised funeral. If he had cried and fallen down and beaten the ground, people would say RC was faking it. Perhaps it will turn out that RC was involved. But it looks, right now, to be about Misty, Tom and Joe. Can we just have a moratorium on nasty remarks about any of the parents? If they are both innocent, they are grieving right now. At least until we find out for sure who is and is not involved, based on what appears to be a successful investigation at this point? People can line up to throw the first stone at RC, his mother and his great-grandmother once they are arrested, if that happens. I think it's going to turn out that someone is a pedophile.

Can we at least get to the arrest part of the investigation without endlessly looping back to RC? He's in jail, he was just told his daughter was dead and his live-in's cousin did it. Maybe his expression wasn't smug. Maybe he was in shock and disgusted. I buried two parents without shedding a tear in public. Jackie Kennedy went through an assassination and a televised funeral. If he had cried and fallen down and beaten the ground, people would say RC was faking it. Perhaps it will turn out that RC was involved. But it looks, right now, to be about Misty, Tom and Joe. Can we just have a moratorium on nasty remarks about any of the parents? If they are both innocent, they are grieving right now. At least until we find out for sure who is and is not involved, based on what appears to be a successful investigation at this point? People can line up to throw the first stone at RC, his mother and his great-grandmother once they are arrested, if that happens. I think it's going to turn out that someone is a pedophile.

BBM
what am I missing here? Has this been confirmed?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back