2010.06.29 -- LE says TH not POI nor suspect

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think the police owe us an explanation either...POI or suspect will be revealed in their due time....what is interesting and scary to me is if KH has to speak to TH how will he be able to do this and not give away some vital information if he has been given some even. He is bound to have to have some contact with her as she is bound to have questions of why this has happened....it would be expected I would think if this truly came out of the blue and I suspect it did as he said the other day they were even supposed to be on a vacation at this time....I just don't want any info leaking out before it is supposed to...........my two cents and IMO, etc.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand said Monday night her office is "not talking about personal issues going on with the Hormans." She said Terri Horman is neither a person of interest nor a suspect.

Well,this says alot to me.If she is not a suspect or a person of interest and they say it's a isolated incident and the community should not be alarmed about thier children.Who is a suspect?Does LE have any suspects?

Could we be reading too much into this and jumping from "neither a person of interest nor a suspect" (BBM) to innocent...

May be (just playing with words here) If you're not a suspect or person of interest it leaves just three other options...

innocent
KNOWN PERPETRATOR
KNOWN ACCOMPLICE

If you get technical, the only thing the police ARE saying is that she's NOT a POI or suspect...that still leaves 3 options.

I'm not saying she is or isn't just that if they're playing with symantics, we can look at some other options.

I think we really have to keep in mind that we really do not know much inside information about the case. The police have yet to divulge much of anything of real substance. The only thing concrete we have to look at is the behavior of the people close to the case.

To me, Kaine filing divorce, moving out and getting a restraining order speaks volumes.

There are many cases where LE named a POI/suspect and they were arrested for the crime. There are also many cases where LE did NOT name a POI/suspect and the perp. was eventually arrested.

But, which cases are there where LE said the perp was NOT a POI/suspect and then they were later arrested for the crime?

TIA!! :blowkiss:

I remember a case that occurred where I was living several years ago. I can't recall the names. The wife had disappeared and the husband was front and center in the search calling for her return etc. Only it was clear to me that his story didn't add up and things seemed fishy. LE repeatedly was in the media saying he's not a suspect and I was thinking they were idiots. In the end, it turned out that during this time, they kept asking for permission to search the house and he kept putting them off saying "it's not a good time, maybe tomorrow." Anyway, the kept telling him he's not a suspect and had a tail on him. Eventually he agreed to let them search the property and the night before the search was to take place, they tailed him as he went out to dump her body. From this case, I learned the lesson that just because LE says someone isn't a suspect doesn't mean it's the case. They're not idiots and what they're saying may be part of a plan to let the suspect hang him/herself.

I agree aedrys.....LE has to know about what is being said about TH on the internet etc - so why do they let it continue if in fact she really isn't a POI? Why can't they clear her and say so?

I include myself in the group I'm about to refer to, but it isn't LE's responsibility to check everything that is being posted and written or to absolve people of speculation or accusations by armchair detectives and internet commentators. Who knows if any of it would stop if they said that as of this moment, we are not treating X as a suspect? We'd be wondering about tomorrow or five minutes from now, or whether the LE spokesperson had a twitchy left eye, nodded yes while saying no, etc. They clearly may not know enough to "clear" her at this point, or maybe they never "clear" people.

snipped

I'm not sure about this. I think there's a difference between just barely enough to get a warrant and an airtight case that's a sure winner in court. I suspect they're being really careful to build an bullet proof case and insure that all the evidence is admissible. Once they make an arrest, she gets a lawyer and stops talking. For now, she could be making little slips that continue to lead them to more evidence. They could also be hoping while she's on the outside she'll lead them to Kyron.

I've also felt that everything LE is doing could be designed to put pressure on Terri and get a confession. Having enough evidence for an arrest warrant is a far cry from a confession and if they think they may get there, why wouldn't they hold out.

Your post got me thinking.....

IF she had an accomplice OR LE thought that someone close to her might know more, it would be better to let her think they are on her side and give her confidence to talk to the accomplice or person she's confided in...they may be able to monitor her behavior/conversations and the comings and goings of people to the house which might provide more information as to where Kyron actually is...

Just a thought

MOO and my pair of pennies

There are only two opinions I have on this announcement by LE.

1) They really do not suspect her of any wrongdoing in Kyron's disappearance

or

2) This is some kind of tactic to get justice for Kyron.

I think it has to do with all the problems and legal liabilities of naming someone a suspect or POI. The only benefit I see at this point for LE doing so would be to benefit us who want to know for sure that she is.

IMO, LE knows exactly who is responsible. But it's always better to find the body and have a confession. TH isn't going anywhere, what's the rush?

I think we are all a little spoiled these days by getting information about almost anything when we want it, no waiting, instant gratification, etc...And in lots of cases that we see here on WS, especially when a child is involved, the suspected offender, usually a caretaker, is named right away or very soon afterward. This case is just starting to look as though it will either break soon with an arrest, or drift into one of those notorious Haleigh Cummings/Susan Powell kinds of cases. Even as horrific as the case of Ethan Stacy is, the suspects were named and charged quickly and the story faded away very quickly.

Because Kyron's body has not been found, this one stays front and center and gives some people hope he is still alive and that makes it seem that LE is simply taking too long to act. But I think they know he isn't, and as much as they want/need to find him, they can't without a confession. They are trying to get one and we will all have to wait along with them.

Until you are proven guilty in a courtroom, you aren't a "known" anything.

May be "Known" was a bad choice....BELIEVED to be?

Like I said, I'm just trying to play with the words as to get around sayind POI/Suspect without "lying"

well call me unfair but there are several cases i 'know' they are guilty before it is proven. it doesnt take a rocket scientest to figure out casey anthony and phil garrido should hang.....

here i have no clue.

well call me unfair but there are several cases i 'know' they are guilty before it is proven. it doesnt take a rocket scientest to figure out casey anthony and phil garrido should hang.....

here i have no clue.

and Nathan and Stephanie Sloop!

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_hormans_stepmom_terri_mo.html

"One friend, who asked not to be identified, said that Terri Horman still felt as though the county sheriff's office was on her side."

"They've said in the media that she's not considered a suspect, and she's been told that she's not a suspect," the friend said. "The media is reporting that and that's the same story she knows."

Geeze, SM is in such denial.
Ted Bundy also believed he was going to “beat the system” right up until he was zapped in the electric chair.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/notorious/bundy/16.html

If terri was involved, I don't see her doing it alone.

Believing a person is responsible and being able to prove it in a court of law are two different things. Until a legal case can be made, the DA is not going to authorize that LE make the arrest. As long as no one is in danger they can wait. It would be terrible to arrest someone without having the proof needed legally to secure an indictment.

bbm

The thread about the RO/Divorce filing had some comments about perhaps KH made those motions at the suggestion of LE. Perhaps, they are continuing to put pressure on TH until she cracks and confesses and tells them where Kyron is (or until they find him themselves, as it is much easier to build a case when you have a body). So perhaps they have advised him to take the baby and get a RO so that there is no one in danger, and they can keep TH under pressure without making an arrest just yet while they strengthen their case.

There is no evidence required for the restaining order at the time it is ordered. It is based on his word and his word only. He does not even need to state any abuse, just that he was afraid she would hurt the baby or him. That fear is continuing.

He only has to provide "evidence" of abuse if she contests the restraining order. Then the Judge will "hear" the case and his evidence to decide if the restraining order is warranted.

http://www.oregon.gov/OJD/docs/OSCA...010FAPAUpdate/Packet1/InstrucsOBTAIN-3-10.pdf

In divorce cases, it is quite common to get these types of restraining orders for immediate custody of both the children and the family residence. Until we read the actual restraining order, we have no idea what it means. If he did not attach any evidence to the restraining order, then we only know what he says, not that it is necessarily true.

IMO, most likely this restraining order is based on her emotional state because of Kyron missing/investigation. In a nutshell, he is afraid or knows that she is incapable of taking care of herself which makes her incapable of taking care of an 18 month old baby and puts the baby in harm's way.
The judge sealed the restraining order for s o m e reason. ??? (I think it may have to do with a not-so-official POI.)
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/judge_seals_restraining_order.html

From this thread's original post:
Sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand said Monday night her office is "not talking about personal issues going on with the Hormans." She said Terri Horman is neither a person of interest nor a suspect.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6628859.shtml

I don't think they have ever said anything like this before regarding POI or suspects in this case.

Previously, LE has said they are NOT going to talk about POIs or suspects in this case at this time.

They have said that Terri was the person who last saw Kyron and because of that knowing her timeline that day was of interest to the investigation. But always - they were firm that they were not going to talk about POIs or suspects at this time.

No one is cleared. Terri's timeline of importance.

I'm looking at this quote from Mary Lindstrand, and I have to say that - well - LE just said that Terri is NOT a POI or suspect. (period.)

It wasn't qualified any further such as "at this time".

Help me out - those of you here with better memory. Am I correct in thinking this has never been said before?

Isn't this a different status for Terri?

I'm working under the assumption that LE public statements are typically carefully made and reliable.

LE "leaks" are not.

Other option - was this a misquote or out of context?

I'm going to hunt around for more on this latest statement from Lt. Mary Lindstrand.

From AOL - says Lindstrand spoke to AP reporters:
Moulton Horman isn't a person of interest or a suspect, sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand told AP on Monday, adding that the department is "not talking about personal issues going on with the Hormans."

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/artic...divorce-from-missing-boys-stepmother/19535026

Perhaps, they are continuing to put pressure on TH until she cracks and confesses and tells them where Kyron is (or until they find him themselves, as it is much easier to build a case when you have a body). So perhaps they have advised him to take the baby and get a RO so that there is no one in danger, and they can keep TH under pressure without making an arrest just yet while they strengthen their case.

It's clear to me that 2 things are happening:

1. the police ARE putting investigative pressure on TH AND

2. KH leaving, taking his child, filing for divorce and a R.O. is related to the facts he is learning about this case, not due to some differences they had from LordKnowsWhen back in time.

Allegedly the police have advised KH to leave and take his child w/him. I doubt the police advised KH to file for divorce. As for the R.O., who knows...I guarantee we won't find out for some time.

How do you know what Kaine would or wouldn't do?

I get that you're impatient for TH to be arrested. How would you feel if she was arrested (and was actually guilty) and then the DA couldn't get a conviction because a jury felt they didn't have enough evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, voted 'not guilty,' and she went free...and she then could NEVER be prosecuted again? Would it be worth it just to get an arrest NOW?

No it wouldn't be worth it.

You can be guaranteed of one thing though: if LE had the necessary solid evidence then an arrest would be authorized of TH.

And if they haven't arrested her or anyone yet, then you can be assured they don't have enough evidence YET.

I agree. And I'm thinking they are waiting until either a) she confesses, or b) they find the body

If terri was involved, I don't see her doing it alone.

based on?

this isnt like that argument in the sandru cantu thread where it seems women cant act on there own without men helping or being motivation is it?

she is a body builder so its not like she isnt physically capable of it, and then getting rid of the body.

god i hate saying that.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper