2010.06.29 -- LE says TH not POI nor suspect

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They did name a POI in the Lindsey Baum case months ago. There still has not been an arrest in that case.

I think LE recinded that guy's POI status. It was one busy week ;}

Just speculating based on family distancing, divorce, eyeglass photo released to the public, and a statement about Kyron's vision problem (links below):

Even though it's been stated that TH hasn't been named as a POI, I wonder if LE found in the truck a tiny screw (or other little part) from his eyeglasses, maybe where they attach to the earpiece. LE could infer from this that Kyron wouldn't be able to keep his glasses on well, and/or that something "rough" happened in the truck.

LE circulated a photo duplicate of Kyron's eyeglasses (June 15th) and it was mentioned that Kyron didn't see too well and wouldn't wander far from the house, partly for this reason (June 25). If a tiny piece from his glasses was found, and he was said to not see well, that could have made Kyron's survival seem less likely. Just tossing out an idea...

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Police-display-replica-of-glasses-worn-by-Kyron-Horman-96398984.html

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/article/kyrons-parents-emotional-plea-home/story?id=11010421

I may be way off base (and I'm researching this now, so hopefully I'll be able to either confirm or correct my thoughts), but I *think* that if someone is officially named a "suspect" by LE, it means that LE must (or, theoretically, should) read them their miranda rights prior to any questioning. If someone is a "person of interest" that is basically a made-up term that has no real legal meaning.

Feel free to jump in and tell me if I'm on the right track or not!

After a bit of research, I can find absolutely nothing to back up my thoughts, so clearly I am just making up laws as I go along! :)

Remember Ocean what Dan Abrams of MSNBC said today, that IT MEANS NOTHING for LE to say at this point in time that TH is not a suspect or POI in the case.

It is how LE operates, how they keep the field neutral to help extend the time needed to dot the i's to solve the case and come to the point with the prosecutor's office that the time to make an arrest is finally appropriate IMO. It doesn't mean it isn't what is in the back of their minds, niggling at them to be disproved, until it simply can't be:

" . . . . “Mediaite founder and NBC Chief Legal Analyst Dan Abrams appeared on Today this morning and told Meredith Vieira that all signs point to the investigators telling the family something about Terri Horman that has them distancing themselves from her. Besides Kaine Horman’s open attempts to distance himself from his wife, he issued a joint statement with his ex-wife and Kyron’s biological mother, Desiree Young and her husband, Tony, fully supporting the investigation. Abrams told Vieira that, to him, this means that either Kaine Horman discovered something on his own that is making him distance himself from his wife, or investigators “said something to him about this investigation which led him to say ‘I’ve got to get out of here,’” and the same is true of Kyron’s mother and her family. That said, Abrams was hesitant to see signs of imminent arrest on the horizon, as all this says is that the family is suspicious, but the authorities have yet to make an indication that they are ready to come to the kind of conclusion that leads to arrest: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/dan-abra...suspect-stepmother-involved-in-disappearance/

PS: The comment about it means nothing that LE have not named her as a suspect or POI in the case, I can't find it on line but heard him say it on TV live. I can't find a complete transcript of what Dan said in the interview. xox

VIEIRA: Dan Abrams is NBC's chief legal analyst. Dan, good morning to you.

Mr. DAN ABRAMS (NBC News Chief Legal Correspondent): Good morning, Meredith.

VIEIRA: The fact that Kyron's father, Kaine Horman, has not only filed for divorce from his wife, Kyron's stepmother, but also taken out this restraining order...

Mr. ABRAMS: Yeah.

VIEIRA: ...what does that say to you?

Mr. ABRAMS: It says to me that the investigators are telling him something, meaning that a parent like this is always going to be informed by the investigators what they know, how they're doing, the progress, etc. It would seem to me that one of two things happened. Either he found something out on his own or much more likely, that the investigators said something to him about this investigation which led him to say, `I've got to get out of here, I've got to protect my other child. I don't want to be in the house.'

VIEIRA: So does that suggest to you that an arrest is imminent in this case?

Mr. ABRAMS: Remember, he doesn't make the decision about an arrest, meaning he makes a decision about what's best for him and for his family.

VIEIRA: I understand that...

Mr. ABRAMS: Yeah.

VIEIRA: ...but given the information that you think he received from the investigators.

Mr. ABRAMS: It's tough to know.

VIEIRA: Yeah.

Mr. ABRAMS: I mean, I'm specifically hesitating because just because he's leaving and saying, `what I know is leading me to want to get out of here' doesn't necessarily mean that the investigators would have enough to move forward at this time. But it does mean that this -- the investigators saying, `oh, she's not a suspect, she's not a person of interest,' that doesn't mean a thing, that's just what they're saying publicly. It's clear behind closed doors that they're saying something to this family that's a little bit different.

VIEIRA: So what is the significance of the statement that the family issued, where everybody signed their name, the father and the mother and the stepfather, but Terri Horman, the -- her name is not there, the stepmother's name?

Mr. ABRAMS: Yeah. Well, I think that in part, that's the family saying, `we are united but not with her.' We are making this statement together but not with his own wife, which is a very big statement on the part of the husband here. I think they're also trying to distance themselves from her while also trying to make sure they don't say too much.

VIEIRA: So where does the case go from here, do you think, Dan?

Mr. ABRAMS: I think that they're close.

VIEIRA: You do?

Mr. ABRAMS: I think -- yeah -- I think that you're seeing a lot of activity now that suggests that the investigators are reaching a new phase. But again, to make an arrest, they want to make sure not just that they have suspicions, not just that they're wondering, not just that things seem to point in a particular direction, they want to make sure that they have enough evidence to move forward. And that's why I distinguish between the actions of the husband and the actions of the investigators.

VIEIRA: So you're saying the investigation's leading the family to do the things they're doing, not the family at all influencing the investigation.

Mr. ABRAMS: It doesn't seem that way because the statement from the family says that the investigators have been updating them on what is happening and that leads me to believe that the investigators and the investigation has led the family to take certain action rather than the other way around.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37992992/ns/today-today_people/

Does it really matter if Terri is called a POI by LE? She must know she is, we all know she is, her family knows she is. What would they have to do differently if she is? I think there is far too much emphasis by media on whether she is or is not named by LE as a POI. Clearly it does not change the fact they LE is investigating her. And she has yet to stop cooperating as far as I know, but since she has probably given them all she is going to give them, even if she obtains a lawyer at this point, that barely matters either.

I guess they could be clinging to the hope that if she is not officially named by LE, she might still offer up a confession. But if that is the case, that tells me they don't have enough to arrest her unless she does. And that might never happen.

I may be way off base (and I'm researching this now, so hopefully I'll be able to either confirm or correct my thoughts), but I *think* that if someone is officially named a "suspect" by LE, it means that LE must (or, theoretically, should) read them their miranda rights prior to any questioning. If someone is a "person of interest" that is basically a made-up term that has no real legal meaning.

Feel free to jump in and tell me if I'm on the right track or not!

After a bit of research, I can find absolutely nothing to back up my thoughts, so clearly I am just making up laws as I go along! :)

It is really just wordage that has changed over time since the Richard Jewell case where he was called a suspect and it turned out he was a hero instead.

But LE do use both words and they dont have to arrest the suspect immediately even if they convey to the public that they believe he/she is one.

imo

I am trying to think if there is a case where a confession from a parent came as late as a month or more from the event? The cases I recall, Susan Smith, for one, was a week or so...Andrea Yates right away. It seems to me that if one was to be forthcoming, it would have come by now?

I posted a question in another thread last night but wanted to re-ask it here, in this more appropriate thread-

Would the police fib/bluff that TH failed the 2nd polygraph even if she had passed to put pressure on her to give up info they think she may be hiding? If they told her (dishonestly) her poly came back as questionable or showing deception, that could make KH decide to split and take the baby with him. I would like to think LE wouldn't be deceitful that way, but they do it all the time on tv, LOL

Thoughts? I have tried really hard to believe that TH is not responsible, especially since she was seen at school with Kyron- that is the part I don't "get". She took him to school with his project, didn't appear strange to anyone then take him and does something to cause his disappearance? I just can't wrap my bain around that part.
But- back to my question- would/could LE lie about poly results? Is that legal?

I am trying to think if there is a case where a confession from a parent came as late as a month or more from the event? The cases I recall, Susan Smith, for one, was a week or so...Andrea Yates right away. It seems to me that if one was to be forthcoming, it would have come by now?

But the person we are looking at is not a BIO parent.

I'm not sure if parent vs. bio-parent is relevant. She was the child's day-to-day mother for a number of years.

Also, yes LE can "lie" and tell someone they did not pass a polygraph if they think it will help advance the case. They can lie about almost anything while investigating. They can even tell her that Kaine said she confessed to him.

I'm not sure if parent vs. bio-parent is relevant. She was the child's day-to-day mother for a number of years.

Also, yes LE can "lie" and tell someone they did not pass a polygraph if they think it will help advance the case. They can lie about almost anything while investigating. They can even tell her that Kaine said she confessed to him.

Respectfully, IMO, it very well might be relevant. Especially if she saw him as a threat to her bio child. Just MOO.

bbm

Hmmmm... makes me wonder if they lied about or embellished the results to TH and KH, promting KH to begin divorce proceedings and removing their baby?

Respectfully, IMO, it very well might be relevant. Especially if she saw him as a threat to her bio child. Just MOO.

True. We just don't have evidence to say that Terri felt anything but love for Kyron. No way of knowing. I have not seen anything reliable either way.

I also do not pay too much attention to LE denial of POI and/or suspect. They are working furiously on solving this case and desperately want to find Kyron. Arresting a person too early could prevent that. Having that person clam up at the advise of a defense lawyer(who is just doing his job) would seriously hamper that.

Couple of points though.
The pictures taken by TH of adorable little Kyron early in the morning. So eerie, alibi?
I am sure there was some kind of judging later on. Would that not be the time to take pictures?

If TH loves little precious Kyron and had nothing to do with it, it would be monstrous of Kaine to remove the baby from her care. Like losing two children in short order. Much worse than the divorce petition. That would send any normal mother over the edge IMO.

This case is so sad. Little Kyron does not even appear to be a problem child either. Loves animals. Just an adorable defenseless 7 year old

Another ominous fact is that LE does not think that any other children are in danger after the disappearance of Kyron.

We do not know the family dynamics prior to Kyron gone missing.
I just wonder if TH was devastated by the removal of her bio eldest son and in her mind thought that Kaine had no right to his bio son still living there. Like a tit for tat.

We do not know the family dynamics prior to Kyron gone missing.
I just wonder if TH was devastated by the removal of her bio eldest son and in her mind thought that Kaine had no right to his bio son still living there. Like a tit for tat.

snipped.

If she didn't want Kyron living with them since her oldest son was no longer living with them, why wouldn't she have sent him to live with his bio-mom & step-dad? It's not tit for tat if she killed Kyron rather than sent him away. If she truly hated him that much, I'm surprised that no one around her had any idea and that she put up such a "front" of acting like a caring, loving parent (which is what it would have had to be if she was actually planning on killing the child).

Until proven otherwise (in court) I can't believe that Terri set out to kill Kyron. That is just too much for me to believe.

I could possibly believe that something terrible happened to Kyron and this was a result of something Terri did and then a cover-up in a panic...that is the only way I can see that she would have harmed/killed him.

I hope I am not proven wrong, or naive. I'm usually the biggest cynic around.

snipped.

If she didn't want Kyron living with them since her oldest son was no longer living with them, why wouldn't she have sent him to live with his bio-mom & step-dad? It's not tit for tat if she killed Kyron rather than sent him away. If she truly hated him that much, I'm surprised that no one around her had any idea and that she put up such a "front" of acting like a caring, loving parent (which is what it would have had to be if she was actually planning on killing the child).

We do not know, may be she did try that. The marriage could have been kaput for a while. Children are often used as bargaining chips in such situations.
When love turns to hate, some people can do incredible monstrous things just to get back at each other. Anyway , it is all speculation.
I also like to point again at the fact that if TH is truly innocent, Kaine did a incredible cruel thing by filing for divorce and taking her baby away in her time of "apparent" desperation/need.
All IMO ofcourse.

Until proven otherwise (in court) I can't believe that Terri set out to kill Kyron. That is just too much for me to believe.

I could possibly believe that something terrible happened to Kyron and this was a result of something Terri did and then a cover-up in a panic...that is the only way I can see that she would have harmed/killed him.

I hope I am not proven wrong, or naive. I'm usually the biggest cynic around.

This is how I feel too, but I can't explain this scenario with him having been delivered to school. The accidental "snapping from rage" doesn't fit with him having been seen at school. So, I am stumped. :banghead::banghead:

This is how I feel too, but I can't explain this scenario with him having been delivered to school. The accidental "snapping from rage" doesn't fit with him having been seen at school. So, I am stumped. :banghead::banghead:

I agree. Any rage on the school premises would surely have been noticed by somebody. She either had nothing to do with Kyrons disappearance or it was a carefully thought out premeditated plan. The picture taking and the posting of those pictures later on is so ominous IMO but definitely not incriminating . I do not watch CSI, was there ever something similar?
I guess LE is desperately searching for any evidence that somebody saw Kyron getting back into the car or any car for that matter at the school parking lot.
Such a shame that the school has no cameras at the exits/entrances.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back