2010.07.26 Grand Jury begins

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, it seems to me that the Grand Jury provides a check and balance to LE, provides a barrier to possible future criticism that a defendent was *railroaded*, also the predictable LE comment that they are sorting through 3000 + leads. If I were LE/DA I would want a GJ opinion and indictment particularly on a projected death penalty case.

My op is that this case is moving slowly NOT because *they have nothing* but because LE/DA wants to put together a tight, thorough DP case, with all the I's dotted and T's crossed. I think they have a lot.

Moo
I agree - and like the Peterson case, when we thought the police were stumped by it, they were actually following Scott around and keeping track of his lies. This case is like a big rock and they are about to turn it over and expose all the creepy crawlers, I think.

Jane Velez Mitchell on Cnn Headline News. Bombastic, but rarely is ahead on her info, rather is a step behind and often emphasize unimportant details for effect. Screamer but I sort of like her. Just don't expect news.

IMO.
Thanks - I just wanted to look for a transcript later to see what the profilers said.

I think it's interesting that her attorney refused to comment on her whereabouts during that 90 minutes. What's the big deal? If she went out to lunch then say it. If she was working out just say it.

Honestly, I would not expect him to comment.

Is this woman, DeDe, a mother? I'm assuming so, but I don't know much about her. But if so, how could a mother do this to someone's child? Keep information from the real parents?

I want Kyron found. I want him back in school in a month or so. I want him to have a normal life. :(

She doesnt have children.

Thanks - I just wanted to look for a transcript later to see what the profilers said.

Right, the transcript of guest/profiler comments (especially if they don't get yelled over, and interrupted) is the most valuable!

Jane Velez Mitchell on Cnn Headline News. Bombastic, but rarely is ahead on her info, rather is a step behind and often emphasizes unimportant details for effect. Screamer but I sort of like her. Just don't expect news.

IMO.

Oh totally. But I like to see what the "experts" opinions are on what's happening. Now usually there are at least two that completely disagree with each other (i.e. one saying the PC tomorrow will be huge, one saying it probably won't be), but I do think it's interesting especially to hear what Pat Brown has to say. Though IIRC, she said weeks ago she thought an arrest would be made within days.

Either way, it seems to me there will be big developments in the coming week.

I still think that a grand jury starting up (presumably) after nearly two months is hardly an indication that LE believes Kyron to be alive somewhere. I know it takes time to gather info but it just seems so...leisurely to me. I know in the grand scheme of things it is probably very fast, but usually there is not a child and whereabouts/condition at the center of the case.

On the other hand, there is not much else they can do.

transactional immunity....

Oregon is one of only a handful of states with what is called "transactional" immunity. Most other states have a "use" immunity system, most notable in the prosecutions in the Watergate and Iran-Contra prosecutions by federal prosecutors.
The difference is simple, but drastic.

The Fifth Amendment provides everyone in America, whether a citizen or not, with the absolute right not to give testimony against him/herself. Police and prosecutors sometimes may try to solve a perplexing crime by offering a person who may have knowledge of the crime "immunity" if that person will tell what he/she knows. Of course police and prosecutors don't want to give such immunity to the main evil-doer, who could then fully confess and avoid any responsibility.

"Transactional" immunity is an all-or-nothing proposition. Under Oregon's current scheme, a person given immunity to testify can never be prosecuted for any crime related to his/her testimony, no matter what he/she has said or admitted. One typical situation is a rape case in which two men in a group of six are suspected of the sexual assault. None of the men are willing to speak and it is unclear who actually raped the victim and who may have actively helped. Under Oregon's "transactional" immunity, anyone made to testify can never be charged with anything relating to the rape, even if other evidence or eyewitnesses later become available.

http://www.sos.state.or.us/elections/nov299/pamphlet/m73fav.htm

After a quick read of the articles, what stands out to me about today's happenings is the amount of the retainer Terri may have paid Houze (or that he is going to charge her). That is not a fee for representation in a divorce case and/or a criminal investigation. They are anticipating a trial -- apparently a very drawn-out, expensive one.

This is going to come to a head soon. I just hope and pray little Kyron can be found. Even as someone who has never met him, it hurts so much to see that precious little face and know he's not where he belongs.

I can't even imagine what Kaine, Desiree and Tony are going through, how overwhelming this has to be and how much their hearts are breaking. I just can't even imagine. I hope they know and can feel how deeply we care about them as well as Kyron.

after hearing that pro speak on jvm about transactional immunity and DDS possibly seeking it today.. I can SOOOO see this!

If she (Dede) does require immunity...that can't be good for Kyron. :(

My WS keeps crashing :(

Yeah ... and slooooooooow in loading up pages.

Got this box for the first time ever:

Thank you for posting! You will now be taken to your post. If you opted to post a poll, you will now be allowed to do so.

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

after hearing that pro speak on jvm about transactional immunity and DDS possibly seeking it today.. I can SOOOO see this!

If she does receive this, that would mean she had some knowledge or involvement in his disappearance, right? (or reason to believe she could be charged with same)

!!!! on JVM an investigator in the state of Oregon just said that DDS could be waiting on a grant of "transactional immunity" before she testifies in front of the GJ (was just watching live... no link)... will post this in the legal thread (ie: transactional immunity)

does that mean that Dede can say that she did something to harm Kyron and she's home free?

Then why couldn't TH do that?

does that mean that Dede can say that she did something to harm Kyron and she's home free?

Then why couldn't TH do that?

The main person would never be given immunity in any case and LE sometimes has to give it to accomplices in order to charge anyone. I would think it is early to be giving immunity and if they do, that they really don't have any evidence without the testimony of the person they grant immunity to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senor710
Back