2010.08.06 - Tommy gets 15 years!

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ron doesn't have a trial date set at this time.
Misty wasn't a juvenile during her drug deals.

OK thanks. Forgot about the age thing--was thinking of Haleigh (sorry). So the posting earlier about 8/20 is wrong? Again thanks--just asking.

OK thanks. Forgot about the age thing--was thinking of Haleigh (sorry). So the posting earlier about 8/20 is wrong? Again thanks--just asking.

Ron does have a court date on 8/20 but I am not clear for what. I was thinking he doesn't have a trial or last chance plea date set but after looking closer 1 of his dockets says trial and the other 4 say pre-trial. I probably just confused you even more, I think I just confused myself! :waitasec: I wonder if it has anything to do with his plea deal.
This stuff is confusing enough then they do this! :banghead: I need a legal expert!

1 of his dockets says this:

Case Status: TRIAL

07/19/2010 47 TRIAL MINUTES: COURT ORDERED CASE CONTINUED FOR NEXT

07/19/2010 47 TRIAL ON 08/20/2010 @ 11:00 AM

07/19/2010 48 NOTICE TO ATTORNEY (08-20-2010)

07/19/2010 49 NOTICE TO DEFENDANT (08-20-2010) IN JAIL

The other 4 dockets say this:

Case Status: PRE-TRIAL

07/19/2010 41 TRIAL MINUTES: DEFT PRESENT, COURT ORDERED CASE

07/19/2010 41 CONTINUED TO NEXT PRE TRIAL 08/20/2010

07/19/2010 42 NOTICE TO ATTORNEY (08-20-2010)

07/19/2010 43 NOTICE TO DEFENDANT (08-20-2010) IN JAIL

Ron does have a court date on 8/20 but I am not clear for what. I was thinking he doesn't have a trial or last chance plea date set but after looking closer 1 of his dockets says trial and the other 4 say pre-trial. I probably just confused you even more, I think I just confused myself! :waitasec: I wonder if it has anything to do with his plea deal.
This stuff is confusing enough then they do this! :banghead: I need a legal expert!

1 of his dockets says this:

Case Status: TRIAL

07/19/2010 47 TRIAL MINUTES: COURT ORDERED CASE CONTINUED FOR NEXT

07/19/2010 47 TRIAL ON 08/20/2010 @ 11:00 AM

07/19/2010 48 NOTICE TO ATTORNEY (08-20-2010)

07/19/2010 49 NOTICE TO DEFENDANT (08-20-2010) IN JAIL

The other 4 dockets say this:

Case Status: PRE-TRIAL

07/19/2010 41 TRIAL MINUTES: DEFT PRESENT, COURT ORDERED CASE

07/19/2010 41 CONTINUED TO NEXT PRE TRIAL 08/20/2010

07/19/2010 42 NOTICE TO ATTORNEY (08-20-2010)

07/19/2010 43 NOTICE TO DEFENDANT (08-20-2010) IN JAIL

I am no legal expert as all might notice lol. But I understood it as Ron does have court on Aug 20. He was granted a cont. because the state/defense had to iron out the details on the deal.

Here are a few articles:

Ronald Cummings Near Plea Deal, Aug. 20 hearing was scheduled to finalize that plea agreement.

Cummings Remains Held On Drug Trafficking Charges

UPDATED: 12:38 pm EDT July 19, 2010
"Snip" http://www.news4jax.com/news/24307123/detail.html

PALATKA, Fla. -- Ronald Cummings will be held in jail for another month as his attorney tries to finalize a plea agreement with prosecutors on drug trafficking charges.

Jury selection for Ronald Cummings' trial was set to begin today, the judge was told there was a tentative agreement that Ronald would agree to plead guilty to three of the five counts if the other two were dropped. A Aug. 20 hearing was scheduled to finalize that plea agreement.
:waitasec:

If Ronald Cummings were to be convicted on all five charges, he could receive a minimum mandatory sentence of 25 yr.

July 19, 2010
"Snip" http://www.news4jax.com/news/24307123/detail.html
PALATKA, Fla. -- Ronald Cummings will be held in jail for another month as his attorneys try and finalize a plea agreement with prosecutors on drug trafficking charges.

Cummings' drug case plea might mean testifying against Misty
He has made an offer to plea in three of five drug charges.

Posted: July 19, 2010
"Snip" http://m.jacksonville.com/news/crim...ings-father-reaches-tentative-plea-drug-cases

By Dana Treen
PALATKA - A plea in the prescription drug-trafficking case of Ronald Cummings, would be squarely aimed at co-defendant Misty Croslin, her attorney said following a court hearing for Cummings Monday.

Robert Fields said Cummings' offer to make a plea in three of five drug charges in exchange for dropping the other two meant he will likely testify against Misty.
"Ronald's obviously cutting a deal to testify against her," Fields said.

Cummings' attorney and prosecutor Jason Lewis asked Judge LaRue for a month to work out details.

Ronald has the same judge as Tommy, he had a chance to give up some info and that info never surfaced. The judge denied a cont. yet on his court date the state agreed to cont. due to him testifying against Misty I assume. Well, I would also assume that the judge will take that into consideration as well as him "Dealing Drugs- 5 charges?, during his daughters ongoing investigation". I just don't see how Ron testifying against Misty's drug charges (that are on video as well as his),will help the Haleigh investigation. Maybe that is just me. :banghead:

Ronald Cummings Drug Trial Scheduled for Today
"Snip" http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/t...9949&catid=412
July 19, 2010
PALATKA, Fla. -- Ronald Cummings is slated to start his trial on drug charges Monday.

He faces five felony counts related to drug trafficking.

His lawyer told First Coast News in May they were trying to arrange a plea deal, a final decision on that arrangement never surfaced.

Do I smell an appeal or acquittal in the near future? IMO the judge sentenced Tommy to 15yrs do to his personal opinion about the Haleigh investigation and/or could it have something to do with the State?
The judge, IMO sentenced Tommy to more than what the law requires. His max is 3-5yrs from what I understand and the Judge gave him 15yrs? Sounds like the judge took this case personally IMO? I am not defending Tommy by all means, yes he should pay for his crimes, all of them. However, I feel that our justice system is so corrupt and it's time that everyone is treated fairly. I don't feel that Tommy was treated fairly.

(snipped)

:cow:
:truce::truce::truce::truce::truce:

OK, I have to comment on what I have bolded.

I can see where the Judge's opinion about a criminal act committed while another investigation was ongoing might appear to have influenced his decision. HOWEVER, I do not interpret the Judge's statement as personal opinion at all.

Werter was expecting the Judge to give Tommy kudos for cooperating and helping with the Haleigh investigation. And IMO the Judge merely responded to the effect that Tommy not only did not cooperate or help the missing child investigation, he continued his criminal activities while the missing child investigation was ongoing. IOW, while the search for a missing child was ongoing TC made no effort to assist or to speak up if he had information but rather did just the opposite; TC ignored the investigation and went about his life of misdeeds.

That, IMO, was the Judge responding to the suggestion that Tommy had done all he could to help find Haleigh.

Tommy was named a suspect in Court yesterday. Do believe this was the first time this was said, at least "out loud".

BBM

Lewis said Croslin only came forward when he faced a lengthy prison sentence. He said he did not consider that Croslin cooperated because investigators still do not have a full picture of what happened the night Haleigh vanished.

"He is still a suspect in that case," Lewis said.

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2010-08-07/croslin-jr-given-15-years-trafficking

IMO, I think the judge is trying to make an example out of these players.
Hope and Donna both get 15yrs. and now Tommy.
Clearly, it's supposed to be three to five years for the charge, but 15?
It's almost like the judge is saying "you will all do 15 years so that people will maybe think twice about dealing and because you've hindered/been associated with this missing little girl".

Maybe the judge didn't take it "personally" because there really is nothing invested into HaLeigh's case by the judge, but maybe the judge feels like the Croslin's and Cummings' are laughing in the face of the law. Make sense?

I would really hate for this to go to appeal only to get overturned because the judge was biased during sentencing.

HLN is now showing segments and GGS statements.........off and on about the 15 year sentence and pics of TC

And, as far as Tommy being called a suspect, I have to wonder why.
Is he considered to be a suspect because HE put HIMSELF in the middle of the case? Or, is he considered a suspect because LE has enough circumstantial information without Tommy's claims to call him a suspect?
Either way, it's very interesting. And I agree; was it a slip of the tongue or is he truly a suspect? Rhetorical question, really, since no one here knows what goes on behind the closed doors of the DA's office.

It's almost like the judge is saying "you will all do 15 years so that people will maybe think twice about dealing and because you've hindered/been associated with this missing little girl".

Maybe the judge didn't take it "personally" because there really is nothing invested into HaLeigh's case by the judge, but maybe the judge feels like the Croslin's and Cummings' are laughing in the face of the law. Make sense?

I would really hate for this to go to appeal only to get overturned because the judge was biased during sentencing.
Personally, I think the judge was offended by the stories, Tommy told LE, the whole search, his back tracking, His stories & details can't be pushed aside & chalked up to a dude 'wanting out of jail'-especially, after he stood by that story, & tried to use it in a bid, for a reduced sentence. He either lied & tried to set-up Joe, or he manipulated the truth, to minimize his own involvement. Either way, he sealed his own fate. A judge couldn't ignore the obvious.

WOW...great catch. Not a POI, but a suspect. Wonder if that was said to send a messge or merely a slip of the tongue. Whichever it was, it certainly isn't something we haven't felt all along...JMO

PDN has it too with a bit more detail:

The Haleigh Cummings case was brought up several times during the hearing, including the fact that Croslin has come forward with information several times, but has not led law enforcement to any evidence.

"The whole meat and potatoes on the Haleigh Cummings investigation is what happened that night," Smith said. "We have yet to have heard what truthfully happened ... With Misty and Tommy, every time we interview them it's a different story. We don't know what the true story is because we can't tell who's lying."

Lewis said Croslin is still a suspect in the Haleigh case and that the state does not consider him as being cooperative.

http://www.palatkadailynews.com/articles/2010/08/07/news/news01.txt

I don't think it was a slip of the tongue. I think Werter tried to show how cooperative Tommy has been in the investigation, hoping to get a lower sentence, and this was the way the negate that. I think Tommy has probably been considered a suspect for a long, long time (since he placed himself at the MH after his arrest in November last year). LE doesn't usually drop any information in our laps without having to do so. This was probably done out of necessity to try to keep Tommy in jail as long as possible.

Tommy was named a suspect in Court yesterday. Do believe this was the first time this was said, at least "out loud".

BBM

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2010-08-07/croslin-jr-given-15-years-trafficking
WOW! I guess LE is standing behind their threat to charge Tommy with felony murder. Personally, I don't think it will be long, unless Lewis used the word, 'suspect', to sway a judge, but I don't think so. There's not much room, for LE to turn back now. I guess they're waiting on Misty, to complete the picture...wonder if they'll name her a suspect too. I did find it interesting that Lindsey blamed her family for wanting her to divorce. It's good to see someone, even if it's not her, worrying about those kids. But, if I'm reading this right, the judge took into account that Tommy ALMOST trafficked, another time??? Also, did LE arrest the driver of that black truck? & I do believe, that even though the average offender wouldn't have received this sentence, the judge took offense at the dealing going on during a missing child investigation. That's understandable, but I hope that's considered during Ron's deal negotiations, & sentencing, too.

BBM

I could be wrong but IIRC Donna hasn't been sentenced yet. I believe her sentencing hearing is set for Sept 1 and IMO will most likely follow the same fate as Hope and Tommy.

I'm also of the belief that the judge took the middle of the road in sentencing Tommy (min 3yrs - max 30yrs) to try and minimize the possibility of it being overturned on appeal.
Makes perfect sense! I think that you are 100% correct that maybe the judge feels as though the Cummings/Croslins are laughing in the face of the law...I know many people that do believe this.

All JMO

BBM

Oh, how I would of loved to be a fly on the wall during that 2 hour hearing. LE did say they had several POI, now this report states that Tommy is a suspect, wonder if the reporter got it right? There has been so much mis-reporting in this case it is hard to believe anything at all. :banghead:

My fear of Tommy getting such a long sentence was that he would not give LE any more info on Haleigh's case. And in this article it says just that Tommy Croslin no longer has an incentive to help investigators in Haleigh's disappearance. I pray that Haleigh's Case does not go cold. Nobody is talking, the only one that were talking were Tommy and Misty and it seems that all of it was lies. :banghead: They all lie, IMO this case will never get solved at this rate.

I still don't see how the State will give Ron a 15yr plea on 5 drug charges...I just don't understand. :furious:

The judge said the only distinction that struck him was that Croslin continued to deal drugs as an intense investigation was taking place to find the girl who authorities now believe is dead.

"Mr. Croslin is a drug dealer, pure and simple," LaRue said before imposing the sentence.

He also sentenced Croslin to a concurrent five years in prison in a possession case. The trafficking sentence included 10 years' probation following prison and a $50,000 fine.

Croslin's attorney, James Werter, was seeking a three- to five-year prison term. Jason Lewis of the prosecution asked for 30 years.

Werter said he has 30 days to appeal the sentence or ask that mitigating circumstances be considered to shorten it but has not made a decision to do so.

He said Croslin no longer has an incentive to help investigators in Haleigh's disappearance, as he has been doing.

WOW! I guess LE is standing behind their threat to charge Tommy with felony murder. Personally, I don't think it will be long, unless Lewis used the word, 'suspect', to sway a judge, but I don't think so. There's not much room, for LE to turn back now. I guess they're waiting on Misty, to complete the picture...wonder if they'll name her a suspect too. I did find it interesting that Lindsey blamed her family for wanting her to divorce. It's good to see someone, even if it's not her, worrying about those kids. But, if I'm reading this right, the judge took into account that Tommy ALMOST trafficked, another time??? Also, did LE arrest the driver of that black truck? & I do believe, that even though the average offender wouldn't have received this sentence, the judge took offense at the dealing going on during a missing child investigation. That's understandable, but I hope that's considered during Ron's deal negotiations, & sentencing, too.

BBM

ITA, Dodie! But what I can't get my head around is Ron making a deal in the first place. What has he got to deal with? IMO, LE doesn't need him in Misty's drug case and how can he agree to testify against her if Haleigh's case ever comes to trial without implicating himself by withholding information for all this time? I'm just so confused by this. :confused: :banghead:

Haleigh Cummings Disappearance Passes One Year Mark
2010-2-9 by: Lt. Johnny Greenwood

Here are some of the facts:

"There is no specific individual whom investigators have identified as a person of interest."

"The State Attorney’s Office was consulted at the onset of the narcotics investigation, and it was recommended that the missing person case and the narcotics cases remain totally separate to avoid legal conflicts in both cases. "

*** FYI: This document is really great information regarding the HaLeigh case ***
http://www.pcso.us/2010-2-9-a

Oh, how I would of loved to be a fly on the wall during that 2 hour hearing. LE did say they had several POI, now this report states that Tommy is a suspect, wonder if the reporter got it right? There has been so much mis-reporting in this case it is hard to believe anything at all. :banghead:

My fear of Tommy getting such a long sentence was that he would not give LE any more info on Haleigh's case. And in this article it says just that Tommy Croslin no longer has an incentive to help investigators in Haleigh's disappearance. I pray that Haleigh's Case does not go cold. Nobody is talking, the only one that were talking were Tommy and Misty and it seems that all of it was lies. :banghead: They all lie, IMO this case will never get solved at this rate.

I still don't see how the State will give Ron a 15yr plea on 5 drug charges...I just don't understand. :furious:
I'm not worried about Tommy's incentive to 'help' in the Haleigh case. What kind of incentive does he need to tell the truth, if he wasn't involved? That would be selfish, beyond words. I take Werter's statement as an acknowledgement that Tommy is in big trouble, they both know it, & it's time shut up & play defense. I'm sorry, but they should've thought about that, before Tommy opened his big mouth...legally, speaking. But Tommy was so greedy, that he wouldn't keep his mouth shut & accept his drug time. He wanted out of jail, & was willing to dangle some tidbits, lie, whatever, to make that happen. & when things didn't go according to his plan? He freaked out & complained about his civil rights being violated. I'm completely disgusted with him.

In the St. Augustine record piece, she says her family threatened to disown her--re Lindsy--she HAS to know something regarding whether Tommy was home or not and WHEN, if she was home at 10:30 or so........
BBM

I think Ron's sentencing all depends on the timing. If MC pleads, what in the hello do they need him for? I still don't know what they need him for right now. I keep going back, in my head, to when Ron asked to be moved to GP. I think he has snitched before, will give LE lots of new details he learned in GP and will virtually skate. If he turns state's witness I will NOT faint. I swear I am not a conspiracy believer, in general, because that suggests too many people know the truth and I can't see self--preservation NOT kicking in for SOMEONE. This is enough to make me want to buy stock in excedrin. But if he is testifying with new info re his daughter, he also has a built-in excuse that he got in from jail. :banghead:

I'm not worried about Tommy's incentive to 'help' in the Haleigh case. What kind of incentive does he need to tell the truth, if he wasn't involved? That would be selfish, beyond words. I take Werter's statement as an acknowledgement that Tommy is in big trouble, they both know it, & it's time shut up & play defense. I'm sorry, but they should've thought about that, before Tommy opened his big mouth...legally, speaking. But Tommy was so greedy, that he wouldn't keep his mouth shut & accept his drug time. He wanted out of jail, & was willing to dangle some tidbits, lie, whatever, to make that happen. & when things didn't go according to his plan? He freaked out & complained about his civil rights being violated. I'm completely disgusted with him.

Exactly! Tommy even admitted this in a taped phone conversation with his dad.

Do I smell an appeal or acquittal in the near future? IMO the judge sentenced Tommy to 15yrs do to his personal opinion about the Haleigh investigation and/or could it have something to do with the State?
The judge, IMO sentenced Tommy to more than what the law requires. His max is 3-5yrs from what I understand and the Judge gave him 15yrs? Sounds like the judge took this case personally IMO? I am not defending Tommy by all means, yes he should pay for his crimes, all of them. However, I feel that our justice system is so corrupt and it's time that everyone is treated fairly. I don't feel that Tommy was treated fairly.

I especially don't feel that Haleigh nor Jr. were treated fairly and the people to blame first are Ronald, DCF, Misty,and the Family that cared for them. IMO, Haleigh would not be missing if the state would of done their job in the first place. Many Many complaints were made to DCF that were ignored! IMO, the state is trying to justify their mistakes by making the Croslins pay dearly. Yes, they are a bunch of drug addicts, they have a sickness and are of poverty level and never got the help they needed and the the trend just kept on going, from parents to the children. IMO, they are not major drug trafficker's, they do what they have to, to get their next fix. (THEY HAVE A SICKNESS). IMO, LE needs to be looking for the main suppliers.

Again, I want nothing more than for someone to pay for what happen to Haleigh...But it should be the right person.
Misty...IMO knows WHAT HAPPEN, and is scared to death of Ronald. Her parents were not there when Haleigh went missing and they were set up IMO and now are locked up for their dumb mistakes and their sickness...LE knows these people have serious drug issues, why keep wasting time on someone that buys $20 worth of crack or sells 5.1 grams of pills?

Why not go after the person's that put Haleigh's life in danger to start with? Ronald knew that Misty was into drugs, yet he let her sit with the children? Haleigh went missing on Misty & Ronald's watch, he is her father and chose to leave them with Misty, his actions since the day she went missing have been very suspicious. Maybe LE is on to Ronald, and if so why are they wasting the courts/tax payers time and money on Lisa and Hank?

Putting Tommy away for 15yrs is not going to bring Haleigh back, and IMO if he knows something he would of told it by now, especially after losing his wife and kids. I did see the sincere love he has for his family, but drug addiction make people do bad things. Tommy needs drug rehab, not 15 yrs in jail. It's like he said, he could of gotten drugs right there in the jail and chose not to, do you think that by putting him away in prison for 15yrs will get him clean? No, he will use again in prison to block the pain of losing his family and to block anything that has to do with the Haleigh Case. JMO :cow:

Again, not defending his lying, drug dealing, just feel that our justice system is so messed up. Tommy sitting in prison for 15 yrs is taking up a cell that a RSO or Murder could be using. The prisons and jails are so over crowed and now we have one more RSO or Murder that will stay on the streets because someone that sold 5.1 grams of pills is taking up that cell.

:cow:
:truce::truce::truce::truce::truce:

So, the judge gave his reason for sentencing Tommy to 15 years.

"LaRue said that The only connection was that Hank Jr. continued to deal drugs as an intense investigation was going on to solve Haleigh's disappearance."

Well, Ron C., Haleigh's father has done the exact same thing except has more charges and more than the 5.1 grams of pills that Tommy had. It is going to be interesting to see how this judge views Ron's activities following the disappearance of his little girl. I also wonder if the judge will consider Ron's other bad behaviour during this intense investigation in the disappearance of Haleigh Cummings. If I could legitimately place a bet, I would bet that Ron isn't going to see more than 15 years on his charges. His past arrest record and charges have shown us that justice for some people is different. I think that the letter from GGMS, IMO, expounds on Ron's enormous grief and that he is acting due to his pain and suffering. It is too bad that Ron's previous history will most likely not even be considered. I agree with you that the judge took Tommy's case personally. IMO Tommy was sentenced based upon the lies and costs and the egg on LE's face for the search conducted at the Shell Harbor Boat Ramp. Yes, Tommy should have to pay for dealing drugs. Now, I want to see what Mr. Cummings receives.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back