2010.12.07 Bruce McCain blasts MCSO on Kyron investigation

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If MCSO really did not get help from Portland's more experienced detectives, that is a shame and I don't understand why that would be. I think LE probably knew by the end of the first weekend that they were looking at a crime, even if they did not say so until the following weekend. I've wondered all along who did the interviewing of Terri...MCSO only? Or was she able to fend off/stonewall FBI, etc. as well? I mean, if her story was changing from the start, as Desiree has said, it just baffles me that no one could "break" her. She's not a career criminal, used to being grilled.

If MCSO really did not get help from Portland's more experienced detectives, that is a shame and I don't understand why that would be. I think LE probably knew by the end of the first weekend that they were looking at a crime, even if they did not say so until the following weekend. I've wondered all along who did the interviewing of Terri...MCSO only? Or was she able to fend off/stonewall FBI, etc. as well? I mean, if her story was changing from the start, as Desiree has said, it just baffles me that no one could "break" her. She's not a career criminal, used to being grilled.

From the MCSO website:

June 5, 2010, 906am:

"Kyron did not return home on his school bus as scheduled at 330 PM Friday June 4. Family called Skyline Elementary School to report that he had not returned home. Multnomah County Sherriff's Office was contacted at approximately 4 PM.

Kyron's stepmother reports she last saw him at approximately 845 AM Friday, walking down the hallway towards his classroom. School staff report not seeing him after 845 AM and that he did not make it to his classroom. Multnomah County called in their Search and Rescue team to begin their search of the area surrounding the school. As the evening progressed, SearchOne Canine Inc. and Portland Police also joined in the search.
A decision was made to upgrade the search to a Major Crimes Team investigation. This allows for more resources to be deployed, which included resources from Portland Police Bureau, Gresham Police Department, Fairview Police Department, Oregon State Patrol and the FBI.

June 10, 2010

"This morning, new search and rescue crews joined the more than 500 members from 18 Oregon Counties already committed to the search of the area surrounding Skyline Elementary school. A complete list of involved agencies can be found on the public website www.flashalert.net/news. We are incredibly appreciative of the tremendous resources brought to bear from our partnering agencies, and are thankful for the ongoing cooperation we share with police, Sheriff's offices many other government agencies across the state for not only search and rescue operations but statewide transport, investigations and other public safety services."

Col. Plotner, Director of Military Support to the Oregon National Guard:

We are here to assist Multnomah County in this effort to find Kyron Horman. We have aerial and ground assets which can be brought forward to support first-responders and incident commanders during search and rescue operations such as these. We are utilizing an Oregon Army National Guard UH-60 Blackhawk to aid civilian authorities and searchers in order to help locate Kyron. "

Capt. Gates:

"We continue to receive support from not only our partnering agencies, but local groups, business and individual concerned citizens."

June 13, 2010:

"Our search efforts continue this morning. I can report that we currently have 211 searchers in the field, with more teams arriving and being deployed today. We have included additional horse teams, as well as the foot searches and canine assets already in the field. We now have teams not only from Oregon, but Washington and California, as well as continued resource support from local municipalities, county, state and federal agencies. Additionally, the Oregon National Guard was able to update our SAR coordinator with specific photo information regarding all areas searched by helicopter to date."

"Here are some statistics on the search and investigation thus far: From June 5 to Saturday, June 12, there were a total of 1,300 searchers in the field -- possibly the largest search operation of its kind in the State of Oregon. Additionally, 213 separate investigators from 42 different law-enforcement agencies in Oregon, Washington, and Northern California."

{http://www.mcso.us/public/newsroom.htm}

It sounds like they were more than willing to reach out to multiple law enforcement agencies including the Portland Police Dept.

But I guess we can't tell who they used from these agencies...whether they borrowed detectives, or just bodies...

Thank you Ami, sorta made McCain look like he knows nothing about this case, maybe he needs to brush up on a few things.
It was really nice not hearing from him for quite awhile.
He says offer Terri a deal, doesn't that get done after an arrest, be patient Mr. McCain, there will be time for that.
I really cant stand that guy.

I can't stand any of the ex-LE who do TV, radio, news interviews, etc...but it doesn't mean they are always wrong...

Anyway, I think he meant a deal to try to find Kyron...hopefully while still alive. I think they can at least try that while still in the interview stage-maybe they did try.

I am not saying I think they should have offered her a deal, or not, but at this point...I would offer her a deal if she could produce Kyron. I don't think he will ever be found without someone owning up.

Another thing, Mr. know it all, doesn't seem to know much.
Would LE not look foolish, standing up telling the public, we are now calling this a homicide, we think Kyron is dead and our evidence to this is, gee we don't have any. That is why they have to tell the public and you, Mr. McCain, as of yet, we have nothing, that proves he is not alive .
Yes they are searching places for a deceased child, should they sit on their thumbs?
They have no physical evidence that a homicide has occurred, but I'm pretty sure they have evidence that shows Terri was not where Terri said she was at a certain time.
I also don't think LE has any obligation what so ever to make a list of what evidence they have and show it to you, Mr. McCain. Be patient, it will come.

I believe in supporting LE and giving them the benefit of the doubt. That said, I do wonder what they hoped to gain by coming out with a shrugging attitude in their latest releases, and comments that seem to contradict comments they've released in the past. I'm sure the bloggers and armchair critics do have ulterior motives in criticizing LE--but I also feel that LE probably did or should have seen these criticisms coming.

I feel more sorry for Kyron's parents, because they have tried to cooperate with LE and do all within their power to get Kyron found--and now the message from LE is contradictory and confusing. Not to say there's no valid reason for that ... LE may be working a strategy here, or their comments may make more sense to people closer to the inner circle. I'm just saying it's confusing and does little to support optimism for bringing Kyron home.

I can't stand any of the ex-LE who do TV, radio, news interviews, etc...but it doesn't mean they are always wrong...

Anyway, I think he meant a deal to try to find Kyron...hopefully while still alive. I think they can at least try that while still in the interview stage-maybe they did try.

I am not saying I think they should have offered her a deal, or not, but at this point...I would offer her a deal if she could produce Kyron. I don't think he will ever be found without someone owning up.

Meh, they might very well have offered her a behind the scenes deal - how would we know? Seriously, it's not like they would announce it to us. Or to McCain for that matter.

Wow...that list of indivudual OT amounts just for the month of June is pretty staggering...
My husband is a Officer as must know here. He does not work for free. As much as he would want to we do have bills to pay and children to take care of. He puts his WHOLE heart into his work however he does have to get paid for hours worked. That means if he goes over a normal work week hours it would be OT( well comp here ) . Anyways my point is as much as he would want he can't afforid to work for free nore should he be asked to. If he has to stay over or come in on days off he has to give up PT jobs which help us raise our children. He also gives up seeing his children in plays or their sports to help the community out. I know it seems like a lot of OT but A LOT of HOURS go into trying to find a child and the officers can't be expected to work for free.

I guess some of these pundits are saying it was a waste of money to search for a missing 7-year-old child? :furious:

I bet it would be different if it was one of their children, eh? :angel:

And it is well-documented on several threads here that multiple agencies have worked with Multnomah County, including the FBI and a profiler from Quantico. How much higher can they go besides the FBI? (Not much, I don't think).

(See the Sauvie Island Searches thread for more about various agencies who responded early on.)

This is what it cost to find a missing child. People need to get mad at the abusers /kidnappers/murders not the police departments for getting paid to do their jobs. A job most people couldnt do . One most people don't want to do. The hard reality is it cost a butt load when a child is kidnapped or harmed expecially when they can't be found. They are not going to give up when they can keep looking. If anyone wants to be upset over the money spent they need to get mad at the person that caused this to happen in the first place the perp.

In an effort to lend some perspective to Bruce McCain's recent statements to the media, I think a bit of recent history might be helpful:

McCain Drops Out Of Multnomah County Sheriff’s Race

OPB | January 6, 2010 | Portland, OR

>snipped<

McCain is a retired Captain from the Multnomah County Sheriff&#8217;s office. He lost the endorsement of the Multnomah County Corrections Deputies Association. It voted to support McCain&#8217;s opponent, Dan Staton.

More @ link.

http://news.opb.org/article/6493-mccain-drops-out-multnomah-county-sheriffs-race/

I commented in a post weeks (if not months) ago that I suspected McCain's statements about this case to the media could perhaps be politically motivated.

Given the fact that Staton is McCain's recent former political rival, and given the fact that McCain allegedly withdrew from the race for Multnomah County Sheriff due to losing the endorsement of the Multnomah County Corrections Deputies Association, it's not surprising that he (McCain) appears to be keeping a close eye on the MCSO, and on his former political rival's decisions & statements to the press.

McCain seems to be ill-informed about certain aspects of the case (i.e. he says the MCSO should have requested the assistance of the PPB, when in fact, the PPB were, according to Sheriff Staton, one of the agencies involved in some capacity early on in the case, and AFAIK still are).

However, regardless of McCain's opinion or possible political motivations, it is disconcerting, IMO, that bi-monthly briefings of the Kyron Horman Task Force are given to Lt. Walls, head of the MCSO Cold Case Team, especially in light of this:

The definition of a cold case varies from agency to agency. The National Institute of Justice currently defines a cold case as any case whose probative investigative leads have been exhausted. In essence, this means a case that is only a few months old may be defined as being "cold."

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/journals/260/what-is-cold-case.htm (TY BeanE for this link)

It is also disconcerting to read this:

They're still unsure what happened to the child, and have had to consider all options, including his being abducted, becoming a victim of human trafficking or being killed.

They point to one undeniable fact: They lack any physical evidence of Kyron, or physical evidence that links anyone to his disappearance.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/multnomah_county_sheriff_dan_s_2.html

On the six-month anniversary of Kyron&#8217;s disappearance Staton finally confessed to the Oregonian&#8217;s Maxine Bernstein what many in the public and media already suspected:
"I wanted to know what's going on because I lost confidence in the investigation," he said. "I felt the case was moving towards a cold case, and I was concerned. We had collected a ton of information, and nothing was being answered."

http://victoriataftkpam.blogspot.com/2010/12/mccain-kyron-kops-confident-yet.html

"We had collected a ton of information, and nothing was being answered."

ETA: IMO, if a "ton of information" has been collected (according to Sheriff Staton), then some things should have been answered by now. If the "ton of information" is relevant, is solid (i.e. can only be interpreted one way, rather than interpreted a myriad of ways)), & can withstand the basic threshold of probable cause for a Grand Jury True Bill, than IMO, an indictment should have been delivered by now.

Yet, Sheriff Staton stated recently that "nothing was being answered" by this "ton of information".

Question: Is it possible that this so-called "ton of information" isn't "answering" anything because it has little or nothing to reveal in terms of solving the disappearance of Kyron?

"We had collected a ton of information, and nothing was being answered."

ETA: IMO, if a "ton of information" has been collected (according to Sheriff Staton), then some things should have been answered by now. If the "ton of information" is relevant, is solid (i.e. can only be interpreted one way, rather than interpreted a myriad of ways)), & can withstand the basic threshold of probable cause for a Grand Jury True Bill, than IMO, an indictment should have been delivered by now.

Yet, Sheriff Staton stated recently that "nothing was being answered" by this "ton of information".

Question: Is it possible that this so-called "ton of information" isn't "answering" anything because it has little or nothing to reveal in terms of solving the disappearance of Kyron?

Snipped for space...

I don't know, I can see where information about people's whereabouts and possible motives could equal a metric ton or two, but not answer the most important question of where Kyron is. Sometimes cases are solved based on bank info, interviews and discovery of hidden motives. Sometimes not. In this case not. But they don't know which it will be starting out, and so they have to painstakingly gather that information each time.

It's possible that some of that OT could have been working other cases as well. I'm sure there were other crimes happening in that one month... as there are crimes happening every day. So it is a little unfair to say that ALL their OT was spent on Kyron's case. Most detectives have a number of cases assigned to them at any given time... not just one.

Snipped for space...

I don't know, I can see where information about people's whereabouts and possible motives could equal a metric ton or two, but not answer the most important question of where Kyron is. Sometimes cases are solved based on bank info, interviews and discovery of hidden motives. Sometimes not. In this case not. But they don't know which it will be starting out, and so they have to painstakingly gather that information each time.

I think we are observing an investigation that parallels Scott Peterson. I don't think for one minute that Terri has been off of the computer and not using a cell phone. Kaine alluded in the last presser (IIRC) that arresting Terri right now will not do any good because it won't lead to Kyron. I think LE has quite a bit of incriminating evidence but is waiting for a major slip-up by Terri or Kyron being found, which ever comes first (as we saw in Scott's case).

Ex-Sheriff’s Office Official Blasts His Former Employer On Kyron Horman Investigation
12:06 PM December 7th, 2010 by Nigel Jaquiss

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/12...ormer-employer-on-kyron-horman-investigation/

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 07, 2010
McCain: Kyron Kops: Confident Yet Clueless (and Raking in the OT)

http://victoriataftkpam.blogspot.com/2010/12/mccain-kyron-kops-confident-yet.html

BeanE, you are a great researcher!

And... wow.

Does not exactly inspire confidence in the investigation.

Wow, Kyron's parents should just hire private detectives and see where that leads them.

Various people have mentioned that option and I hadn't thought it was a good idea so far.

For the first time, I agree. Time to bring in a PI team.

SBM

That's what I fear: that what they've got amounts to a lot of proof that TMH doesn't act the way many people think she ought, that she seems like an unpleasant person of questionable ethics, but nothing of a probative nature.

A prosecutor would be a fool to go to trial with nothing more than "look at what a despicable person the defendant is! We can't show any evidence, even circumstantial evidence, but you can tell by the sort of person the defendant is that they committed the crime."

I think it is way more likely than not that TMH had something to do with Kyron's disappearance but I still have what I regard as reasonable doubts because of the lack of evidence.

I have never seen so much posted about the money spent searching for any missing child until now. Sickening!

- snipped for length -

While IMO, McCain is sucking on lemons from the compost pile left rotting after his last run for office (and ITY, SS, for the reminder synopsis), IMO MCSO is not as bereft of information/evidence as the OL article might *lead* us to believe.

Granted, the initial investigation was wide and (partially) shallow. When Staton went *back* to the County Commissioners for more money, he presented a Task Force business plan *and* brought the CC up to date on the investigation. (Ah, please don't ask me for a ref tonight, 'kay?) They --members of the CC who are also elected officials -- said, "Go for it."

Politically? My nose says MCSO must have more than nothing. And an indictment/arrest will *not* happen until the DA is doggone certain of a conviction within 60 days. The defendant can ask for more time to prepare. The DA can't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ula
Back