2011.01.06 Baez Slapped with Formal Sanction

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you but I think these talks may have already been taking place prior to the flurry of motions to throw out pretty much all evidence. I personally felt that flurry was done in an effort to push KC into realizing that the courts were not going to disallow much. I think Baez and Mason fully expected HHJP to deny the motions..

Couple of points to ponder....

Why did JA finally take the initiative to file for sanctions when Baez has not been timely in the past?

Perhaps because SA was under the impression they were negotiating and Baez was footdragging again so they turned up the heat.

Why did HHJP address the sanction motion first but then put off ruling on any of the other motions?

Because he is very aware that negotiations were taking place? (see link below)

Exactly what WAS Baez insinuating when he kept patting his pocket while looking JA in the eye at the last hearing?

Because he was trying to get message to JA, based on what KC was writing, that KC was now "ripe" for considering a plea after hearing HHJP play hardball?

Why did HHJP suddenly call Mason to a sidebar, WITHOUT SA, only to return and suddenly conclude the hearing?

Because he wanted to ask Mason whether his client now saw the seriousness of the evidence against her?

WHY HAS BAEZ BEEN SITTING WITH HIS TAIL TUCKED BETWEEN HIS LEGS SAYING AND DOING NOTHING?

Because Mason told him to sit down, shut up, and let him handle this fiasco from now on if he wants any semblence of a career left?

And lastly, so why DID Mason take on another death penalty case today?

Because he is anticipating more free time in the future?

VERY interesting read below....(if font too small to read, hit mag glass on top left corner)

Pay particular attention to the paragraph about how prosecutor, defense and JUDGE all work together as a team for a plea, often leaving the defendent on the outside..

http://books.google.com/books?id=p5...ors work together to encourage a plea&f=false

A click on the thank you didn't seem enough - THANK you for that wonderfull link to that legal book ~!
I've set it to my favorites, and, should I ever feel the need to commit a crime, I'll check out my alternative actions for after the fact ~!!!

Now = back on track.
Regarding a plea, I think that this may be a real possibility. Baez isn't smart enough to keep his mouth shut when he should, as we've seen in the past; but all of a sudden, he is having no problem taking a back seat and keeping his yap shut.

Casey's "frantic" response and scribbling a few weeks ago when Kronk was mentioned, and Baez quickly going into a huddle with her.

Strange goings on, going on I think........
Thanks Again, Kentjbkent.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNGjnHND1is[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEql-21NN88[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCo8LA7kPjA[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCiM5ZJXFM8[/ame]

I wish Mr. Hornsby or some other good lawyer would take over the case. No one wants to have front ring seats to a two second knock out, it needs to be a fair fight to even feel right about the jury verdict, imo.
He believes she should be at the hearings. I concur.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOHcZimThz4[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXvo0lxnbGI[/ame]
Extremely odd. Endless historyonics.
Those are words Richard Hornsby used to describe Jose Baez.

Turned my keyboard upside down! LOL :great:

/bɹo˙ʇxǝʇdıןɟ˙ʍʍʍ//:dʇʇɥ :sı ʇı ǝɔıu os ɯɐ ı ǝɔuıs 'ʎןןɐnʇɔɐ

Thank! Gotta try that on someone. :D

Wow. Excellent observations. I'm glad some of you can think straight after riding this spinning merry-go-round that keeps picking up speed.

In re. the bold: I buy that 100%. Above all else, I do believe CM wants to save face and I further believe their experts have absolutely nothing that will help them.

In re. the bold: I can give that a 65% shot. Maybe a little better... I'm not convinced though. We are talking about some very stubborn people that would need to go along with this idea: Casey, JB, and Cindy. Yes, I know that only Casey would have to agree, but I don't think JB or Cindy would favor a plea, even if they could get the SA to agree to terms. And they are the 2 people that have the most influence over Casey. I think Casey and Cindy really, really believe they can strike a jury who will find reasonable doubt. They've never once before succumbed to pressure no matter how bad the evidence and public perception. No matter who tried to convince them otherwise. I haven't seen anything to make me think that has changed. As far as JB, I dunno. Maybe. I'm sure he is tired of the public bashing and realizes that even his fellow defense attorneys in the Orlando legal community have turned away from even trying to defend him. He's tired and broke. However, I still thinks he craves his Perry Mason moment. Whether he still really believes he can pull it off, is another thing.

However, my biggest hurdle with believing this is the defense's plan is that I don't trust CM even a teeny, tiny little bit. Call me paranoid. I just do not. On the other hand, I believe him to be selfish enough to go this route to avoid such a public humiliation as that trial will prove to be for the defense. To bolster your hypothesis though, it is a good explanation for why the discovery still has not been turned over, even after sanctions were imposed.

All that said, I'm not so sure this late in the game that the SA would even consider it. A lot of money has already been spent, time invested and let's face it - I never call any case a "slam dunk", but this is about as close as you can get, imo. I'm not sure what the State has to gain at this late date. All the tough work has been done. And believe me, they may be attorneys, but they are human, too. They are emotionally invested.

Beach................ITA! Although I think the defense has absolutely nothing in the way of a defense and are defeated before they even get to trial, and would probably like nothing more than to have this case over and done with, I think the state is committed. They've invested time and expenses and they're emotionally committed to seeing this case through to the end. I can't see the state being open to a plea.

If Casey changed her plea to guilty and the defense agreed to LWOP, that's the only thing that the state might reluctantly accept.

Very Interesting ~ And, this could be why Baez has been relatively "silent", not his usual overbearing self.

He has been media shy.

They know that the money is gone - that the state is gonna shut down their cash flow at any minute, and they either don't want to, or can't afford to pay for a horse with a broken leg.
"They shoot horses, don't they"???

Mason is the only one with any money, and he isn't going to put good money out after bad.

Today {?} it was announced that he has taken on another child killer case.

They all are tired and "over this" case, and want out as gracefully as they can go ~

Yes, Lamar Lawson is the one behind Ashton calling the shots - and, I think that whoever said a plea has been in the making, or, at least approached by team Baez and Cheney is spot on.

We've seen how Casey looks in court, and, its obvious, that Cindy has taken a real downward spiral the last few times that we've seen her.

Just a couple of counter points to think about.

1. The SA filed for the sanctions now because for the first time JB's song and dance routine had directly impacted their trial preparation. If you look back very few motions were filed by the prosecutors. Almost all of their interactions with the defense were responding to the (often completely insane) defense motions. While annoying they did not really seriously impede the SA trial prep. But the discovery impacted their now scheduled depositions. Prior to this all of JB;s antics and all of his blown deadlines were really between him and the judge. But it finally got down to the wire for the SA. Depositions were scheduled and trial is looming. Hence the sanctions. I think JB has pretty much shut up because he is finally starting to get afraid to open his mouth. Maybe HHJP's little lessons are starting to take.

2. Cash flow. The state cannot or will not completely shut down their cash flow. Or rather it will not shut down KC's cash flow. They will be given anything that they can reasonably justify so long as they show a proper cause for needing it, and can properly document it all. And so long as it is reasonably in line with what has been paid for other capital murder defendants in the state of Florida. BUT that documentation is where they may bump into some real issues. JB leaves the impression that he has been more than loose with the accounting, record keeping and funding requests.

3. Mason having money. It doesn't matter how much money Mason has. he cannot use it. Beyond offering their services pro bono the lawyer cannot fund the defense. I am still trying to figure out how they got the money out of Todd M, and no one had to answer for it? It's even worse now that KC is indigent. Any $$$ that Mason would spend on the case out of his own pocket (aside from personal expenses such as travel) would be seized by the state to pay back state costs. About the only thing he could get away with would be "loaning" JB the $600 to pay the sanctions. (PS did anyone else look at that check from JB and think "I hope that wasn't drawn on a client escrow account?")

4. Plea deal. I agree they have to be thinking about a plea deal. Any sane lawyer would be, even if his client is nuts. But I can't see how any of these motions support or encourage a plea deal. Isn't one of the early signs of deal negotiations that both sides tend to shut up in public, and stop with the inflammatory filings? I think we will eventually see a plea. It is just in KC's nature to take it to the wire, then back down with a smirk and a different lie. I just think we are months away from that point yet.

5. Masons new babykiller case. Ummm wow! I'll agree with you that the first normal assumption is that Mason plans to have alot of time freeing up to work on this new case. So maybe a KC deal is in the works. But then I take note that he hasn't exactly set aside everything and anything to work on KC's case to date. Or even read all of the discovery and documentation, or pay attention in court, or put fresh batteries in his hearing aids. Too early to speculate on CM's motives, means or plans regarding this new case. too many unknowns yet.

I've read that the statute of limitations on obstruction and accessory after the fact is 4 years. If that's true then we need to get this show on the road!However, I wonder what the time frame is for financial crimes/fraud if the charges come from the Feds (which is the way I've always felt this might go...)

Just guessing.

BBM....But consider this...the actual Obstruction and accessory facts will become evident at trial after/during others testimony. Once the facts are established on the record, then the statute of Limitations would start.

Especially if any of the A's testimony are proven false and/or different than prior depo's. JMO (we can have one of our esteemed Attorneys on this board explain it in legaleeze). I hope I explained that clearly and correctly.

I'm not sure how they are going to sell a plea to KC, she is not only stubborn but thinks she 's convinced us all that the "nanny" did it.
I understand her reasoning though, JB persuaded her he was going to get her a mistrial and CM promised she would be walking out arm in arm with him, they sold her a crock of manure that's for sure.

If they have managed to get her to agree to a deal I just hope it includes full disclosure of what happened to Caylee but I doubt she would be willing to fess up to to anything close to the real truth.

I hope it goes to trial, I can't believe they put everyone through this, spent all their clients money, cost the tax payers thousands of dollars, when they know/knew they had diddly squat and that this was the inevitable outcome....makes me furious thinking about it.

I confess I won't get closure until I see Cindy, George and possibly Lee get the reaming out they deserve in the witness box, but with the talk of juries and accommodations etc. I guess it may be time to dump KC and head for the hills.

Sigh...that's it for me I'm so tired I can't see straight. See you all tomorrow

Pocket deal or JB & CM are suffering more of those ideations of grandeur.

If they are talking plea it better be DP or at least LWOP and 1st degree murder. I really don't want a plea in this case. Caylee deserves justice and for it to be seen. Logically, financially, etc -- I can see why this might be happening but I am still back at emotionally and I am not ready to see this happen. How dare they cost the state all this money to stop a payday short of a candy bar.

Just using this post as a middle of the night jumping off point (I am way behind and trying desperately to catch up!).

On the outside chance that there are plea negotiations going on, it would certainly explain GA's absence from the last few hearings. Just knowing that negotiations were underway would confirm to him what all of us have known from day 31--that his daughter killed his precious granddaughter, the one whose favorite song was "You Are My Sunshine," whose favorite color was purple, and who never got to see her third birthday.

I have my doubts that plea negotiations are underway. However, I have learned one thing in following this case--not to be surprised by ANYTHING ever again.

As soon as I finish this, I'm sure the letter will be released, but here goes anyway.

Dear Jeff,

Not withstanding the fact that I have filed a Motion for Reconsideration and that we have talked about you considering agreeing to the withdrawing of the contempt, I am enclosing herewith Mr Baez' check made payable to the State of Florida in the amount of $583.73.

I request that if you, in fact are indeed considering not opposing my Motion for Reconsideration and Vacating of the Contempt, that you hold this check pending the final resolution.

As you recall when we talked, I think there is a good faith reason not to oppose the reconsideration, given the potential future impact of the contempt citation on Mr. Baez, his youth and relative experience in these matters. I believe it would be the right thing to do, but that decision is certainly yours and, I guess, Lawson's.

LOL (I added for emphasis)

I popped in here for a quick update before bed and look what I find...

Now I HAVE to rant or I won't get any sleep.

There NEEDS to be a future impact on Baez. Hopefully, this will be the step one in his future disbarrment (sp). No one needs to ignorantly and unawares hire this guy as their attorney.

IMO, if Ashton folds and does not oppose the reconsideration, then he is enabling this behavior to continue, and we have all seen what comes from that kind of thing, she sits next to Baez at the motion hearings.

And his youth? YOUTH!!?? The guy is almost as old as I am, and I'll bet cash money when Mason was at that level of 'relative experience', even though I've seen him in action and I am NOT impressed, he was a whole lot younger than Baez, and probably in his first years of law school!

This is a death penalty case, as the Defense certainly likes to point out at any given moment, but they sure don't act like they know it. The State and the Court needs to stand behind these sanctions, and not for revenge, no, that's the sole department of the Defense. IMO, ICA is guilty as sin, and she deserves whatever she gets, but these people SIGNED UP for this case, they were not forced into it, they CHOSE it, and now they need to man up and do their &*(&^%(* jobs and quit acting like babies with soiled diapers. This isn't a game, or a joke, or a petty vendetta because the professionals in this case aren't bowing down at the altar of Baez.

WE can post around in here, crack a few jokes, make some snide comments, but WE are not INVOLVED in this case. WE are not responsible for defending the perp, or making sure she is properly represented, or making sure she has a fair trial, or even trying to keep her off death row, yet all of us in here IMO have been more professional about this case than both of these alleged attorneys put together.

And last but not least, there is no I in TEAM. At least since November of 2008, Baez has has some kind of EXPERIENCED attorney on his Defense TEAM, including, as of March (?) of 2010, Mr. Cheney Mason himself. As part of the Defense TEAM, it is just as much their responsibility to ensure this defense is conducted properly and lawfully and by the rules, as it is Mr. Jose Baez's, lead attorney or not. And, Mr. Cheney Mason, if I could see in five minutes how ill-equipped Baez is to be handling this case, then so could you, so you should have been dotting his i's and crossing his t's, so IMO, this mess is on YOU, so suck it up.

OK, I'm done now. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh, wait, I have more. New client of Mr. Mason, do yourself a favor, watch a few motion hearing videos starring your new attorney, then get a yellow pages book and find you a different one. You'll thank me later.

I'm not sure how they are going to sell a plea to KC, she is not only stubborn but thinks she 's convinced us all that the "nanny" did it.
I understand her reasoning though, JB persuaded her he was going to get her a mistrial and CM promised she would be walking out arm in arm with him, they sold her a crock of manure that's for sure.

If they have managed to get her to agree to a deal I just hope it includes full disclosure of what happened to Caylee but I doubt she would be willing to fess up to to anything close to the real truth.

I hope it goes to trial, I can't believe they put everyone through this, spent all their clients money, cost the tax payers thousands of dollars, when they know/knew they had diddly squat and that this was the inevitable outcome....makes me furious thinking about it.

I confess I won't get closure until I see Cindy, George and possibly Lee get the reaming out they deserve in the witness box, but with the talk of juries and accommodations etc. I guess it may be time to dump KC and head for the hills.

I think JB has kept Casey in the dark about her chances for acquittal from the beginning, and has made her think a mistrial is likely. She thinks she going to end up walking out of the courthouse a free woman and soon be basking on a beach in Miami. The only person who may have been honest with Casey about her chances is Andrea Lyon. But, knowing Casey, she would likely dismiss AL's scenario and cling to JB's. After all, JB is one of her guys.

It could be a tough sell to get her to agree to a plea deal or change her plea to guilty. But after the states opening statement and hearing some of the state's witnesses, I think she might see things in a different light.

They are just searching their little brains for something to rely on that will stick.....Mason uses his age either for or against him depending on a situation---so I guess this would also work for Baez....problem is Baez already copped to the error in court (and we know as an officer of the court he wouldn't lie :loser:)---Problems I see is they will always find some sort of excuse and think its okay because after all they are trying to save a life.....:sick:

Turned my keyboard upside down! LOL :great:

/bɹo˙ʇxǝʇdıןɟ˙ʍʍʍ//:dʇʇɥ :sı ʇı ǝɔıu os ɯɐ ı ǝɔuıs 'ʎןןɐnʇɔɐ

O/T...ןooɔ ʎןnɹʇ sı sıɥʇ

THANKS ANJ...cool......

So, where are you guys getting the impression team ICA is trying for a plea?
I would love to see this happen and have this prisoner tell all in court. but will it be the Godshonest truth???

Politically speaking, Mr. Lamar Lawson -- if JB and CM come calling asking for a plea deal....show them the :doorhide: and tell them: :werk:

Right on! I want a trial not a plea deal! Dad Blame It!

A click on the thank you didn't seem enough - THANK you for that wonderfull link to that legal book ~!
I've set it to my favorites, and, should I ever feel the need to commit a crime, I'll check out my alternative actions for after the fact ~!!!

Now = back on track.
Regarding a plea, I think that this may be a real possibility. Baez isn't smart enough to keep his mouth shut when he should, as we've seen in the past; but all of a sudden, he is having no problem taking a back seat and keeping his yap shut.

Casey's "frantic" response and scribbling a few weeks ago when Kronk was mentioned, and Baez quickly going into a huddle with her.

Strange goings on, going on I think........Thanks Again, Kentjbkent.

I personally cannot wait until the hearing today and will be listening VERY CLOSELY to the specific wording JA uses IF he even argues against this Recosideration Motion.

If SA does not put out a strong argument against the motion, that in itself will be very telling and will convince me that I am not far off from what I am speculating is going on...and has been going on.

See you kids this afternoon! :seeya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bewffv3GAk
This is Lawson Lamar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTW4mCn4OrQ
If Jose could participate in this interview from jump.....that was BIG clue about what he would and would not do. Yikes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk_v9eVt50g

Does anyone really believe that CA talked to a marine who was upset about this? :rolleyes:

Also, I think that when JB took this case he was daydreaming about people talking about the Allreds, Geragos', Cohrans, Dershowitz's and Baez's!!! I think he's finding out that if they do mention him with those names it usually involves the emission of liquid from somebody nose upon hearing it.

IMO, if she's granted a retrial based on ineffective council she'll still stay behind bars the whole time and another jury will convict her then.

:no: Now why is it that Mason wrote the letter and not Baez? Regardless, Baez was the one that got the fine and he should be the one apologizing and what not...not having Mason write the letter for him. JMO though...it's like a little kid getting their friend to write a not for them so they don't get in trouble. :no:

Letter Asks Prosecutors To Consider Not Cashing Baez Fine Check
Baez Ordered By Court To Pay $583.73

"Snip" http://www.wesh.com/r/26486629/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Jose Baez has turned in payment for his contempt of court fine, but lawyers also asked that prosecutors consider not cashing the check.

Baez was required by Judge Belvin Perry to pay $583.73 for a wilfull violation of a court order. Thursday was the deadline to pay the fine.

Along with the check, co-counsel Cheney Mason wrote prosecutor Jeff Ashton a letter asking him to consider holding the check and not cashing it.

Mason filed a motion that asked Perry to reconsider the fine.

Shame they didn't pay attention to Bill Sheaffer, who said it would be best (to paraphrase him) if JB would just suck it up, put his big boy pants on, learn from his mistakes and move on. But no, it's still whine whine whine...
it is so obvious he has learned nothing and so the sanction should stay.

This may have been covered by isn't CM missing the point here. Our justice system is about being responsible for our actions. JB was given a light sanction considering what was requested which was $500 a day. KC is on trial for doing something because she was never held responsible for anything in her life, including her child. If KC's parents had no idea she had no job how could they possibly know what went on with the child for almost three years, while in KC's sole care. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV