2011.01.30 new search north and west of Portland

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about the dogs 40 degree rule. And I don't know how much colder it is in the area they're searching than it is where the Portland weather stats come from. But I just searched those stats going back to weekend of Sat December 4, 2010. There were several weekends where Portland weather stats showed actual temps well within range for dogs, starting with last weekend (the weekend before David Anthony Durham shot Offcr Dodd):

Sat Jan 22: actual high of 50; low of 35; precip of 0
Sun Jan 23: actual high of 46; low of 35; precip of .01" (too iffy to plan a search)

Sat Jan 15: actual high of 54; low of 50; precip of .86" (can dogs do some rain??)
Sun Jan 16: actual high of 57; low of 55; precip of .68"

Sat & Sun of Jan 8 & 9: highs of 42

Sat & Sun of Jan 1 & 2: highs in mid-30s

Sat & Sun of Dec 25 & 26: highs in mid-40s; lows 39 & 40, but it's Christmas

Sat & Sun of Dec 18 & 19: highs of 43; lows 35 & 33 (too iffy)

Sat Dec 11: actual high of 58; low of 40; precip of 1.3" precip
Sun Dec 12: actual high of 61; low of 54; precip of .13"

Sat Dec 4: actual high of 46; low of 39; no precip
Sun Dec 5: actual high of 48; low of 40; no rain

So, when does the investigative lead date back to? And what is public relations or info being restrictive to protect the case???

I don't know about the dogs 40 degree rule. And I don't know how much colder it is in the area they're searching than it is where the Portland weather stats come from. But I just searched those stats going back to weekend of Sat December 4, 2010. There were several weekends where Portland weather stats showed actual temps well within range for dogs, starting with last weekend (the weekend before David Anthony Durham shot Offcr Dodd):

Sat Jan 22: actual high of 50; low of 35; precip of 0
Sun Jan 23: actual high of 46; low of 35; precip of .01" (too iffy to plan a search)

Sat Jan 15: actual high of 54; low of 50; precip of .86" (can dogs do some rain??)
Sun Jan 16: actual high of 57; low of 55; precip of .68"

Sat & Sun of Jan 8 & 9: highs of 42

Sat & Sun of Jan 1 & 2: highs in mid-30s

Sat & Sun of Dec 25 & 26: highs in mid-40s; lows 39 & 40, but it's Christmas

Sat & Sun of Dec 18 & 19: highs of 43; lows 35 & 33 (too iffy)

Sat Dec 11: actual high of 58; low of 40; precip of 1.3" precip
Sun Dec 12: actual high of 61; low of 54; precip of .13"

Sat Dec 4: actual high of 46; low of 39; no precip
Sun Dec 5: actual high of 48; low of 40; no rain

So, when does the investigative lead date back to? And what is public relations or info being restrictive to protect the case???

But if you're looking at Portland temps, aren't they recorded at the airport? Dixie Mountain Rd area would be colder for sure.

I also have to wonder how long LE has put off this search and known about what is leading them to this search area if they had to wait for the most optimum temperatures at that altitude?

yes, but interesting because in June, July, Aug and I'm sure Sept (I can't remember the exact weather but I know it was HOT this summer) temps were well above 40dg..

I'd have to go back to a wunderground weather report for the area they are in to see when the first snow fell (in those elevations)

Does the Wunderground report pinpoint a specific area?

they seem to be looking for specific things in two specific areas... they say that they wouldn't search unless they had investigative reason to do so... and they have cadaver dogs with them...

It sure sounds like they might be onto something here

yes, they have diff ppl that run weather stations. I found 2 at around 800ft
and down the hill a bit, but it gives a pretty good idea of the weather vs the weather for example at the Port Airport =)

Here is the other one I found
http://www.wunderground.com/weather...NORTH5&day=2&year=2010&month=2&graphspan=year

(correct link)

Thanks! Your link only goes thru Jan 1, 2011 for that area closer to where searchers are. So, IDK for Jan. But for December, it was hi of 50 and low of 41 on Christmas day; too cold the day after (let's just rule out anyone planning a search on Christmas)

For other Dec dates: still too cold weekend of Dec 18 & 19.

Sat Dec 11: actual high 54; low 45
Sun Dec 12: actual high 54; low 40

Sat Dec 4: actual high 42; low 33
Sun Dec 5: actual high 46; low 37

Did this quickly; didn't even look for precip, if that's a factor.

Spokeswoman for the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Mary Lindstrand told KGW that efforts will be centered along Northwest Skyline Road near Rocky Point Road and a gravel road in the Dixie Mountain area.

http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=114897304&fPath=/news/local&fDomain=10202

the above snip seems to suggest they are searching along Skyline near to where it interesects with Rocky Point. Somwhere along that area and a gravel road is of interest in the Dixie Mountain road area? I am far from local and have no mountains where I live. Can someone tell me if this section of Skyline and rocky Point are on Dixie Mountain or is the Dixie Mountain search a separate area? tia

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=U...561,-122.914846&spn=0.00652,0.013711&t=h&z=16

This finally sounds like someone has talked. The searchers sound very confident that they will find something. A part of me finds it hard not to be cynical...is this a last ditch effort before reporting back on Feb. 1, or a legitimate inquiry?

The weather has been unseasonably warm and dry in Portland, including the hills, off-and-on for a couple of weeks now. It may have taken this long to find enough searchers who could do this. Yesterday, for example, was a great day.

My heart goes out to Ky's Mom and Dad this morning. How awful this must be for them.

I am wondering whether the weather was a factor in the statement by LE that they expected to be able to name a suspect by February. Perhaps they knew they needed to search this area and wouldn't be able to do so until the weather broke?

Just speculating.

Spokeswoman for the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Mary Lindstrand told KGW that efforts will be centered along Northwest Skyline Road near Rocky Point Road and a gravel road in the Dixie Mountain area.

http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=114897304&fPath=/news/local&fDomain=10202

the above snip seems to suggest they are searching along Skyline near to where it interesects with Rocky Point. Somwhere along that area and a gravel road is of interest in the Dixie Mountain road area? I am far from local and have no mountains where I live. Can someone tell me if this section of Skyline and rocky Point are on Dixie Mountain or is the Dixie Mountain search a separate area? tia

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=U...561,-122.914846&spn=0.00652,0.013711&t=h&z=16

Dixie Mountain road is a very long stretch and curvy. I'm not sure where they are referring to yet as there are many gravel roads and turnouts up there. I did find this spot that is near the intersection of Rocky Point Road and Dixie Mountain Road that has a gate. If you zoom back out, it looks to be near a heavy forest area. Like I said though, it could be anywhere up there at this point. I wish I could go up there but would have to figure out what to do with my kids this morning.

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Northwest+Dixie+Mountain+Road,+North+Plains,+OR&aq=1&sll=39.368279,-81.914062&sspn=23.616506,51.459961&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=NW+Dixie+Mountain+Rd,+North+Plains,+Washington,+Oregon&ll=45.700129,-122.932425&spn=0,0.006282&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=45.700129,-122.932296&panoid=mEdDiG9u1wZvOLk3dwjfFw&cbp=12,284.49,,0,20.53"]Northwest Dixie Mountain Road, North Plains, OR - Google Maps[/ame]

About 15 searchers from the Mountain Wave Search and Rescue Team were setting up in a gravel turnout of Northwest Skyline Road, in a remote area near Moreland Road and a field where horses were grazing. Thick vegetation also covers the ground near the area. Team members say they cannot comment about the search.

Between 40 to 50 search-and-rescue workers, along with as many as seven cadaver-detecting dogs, are combing the dense forested area around turnouts, trailheads and gated logging roads along a stretch of Northwest Skyline Road, south of Rocky Point Road and a gravel road farther north in the Dixie Mountain area.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/01/search_for_kyron_horman_this_m.html

About 15 searchers from the Mountain Wave Search and Rescue Team were setting up in a gravel turnout of Northwest Skyline Road, in a remote area near Moreland Road and a field where horses were grazing. Thick vegetation also covers the ground near the area. Team members say they cannot comment about the search.

Between 40 to 50 search-and-rescue workers, along with as many as seven cadaver-detecting dogs, are combing the dense forested area around turnouts, trailheads and gated logging roads along a stretch of Northwest Skyline Road, south of Rocky Point Road and a gravel road farther north in the Dixie Mountain area.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/01/search_for_kyron_horman_this_m.html

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...653,-122.91514&spn=0.000712,0.002048&t=h&z=20

Is there snow on the ground in the search areas at this point? Has there been up until now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett