2011.01.30 new search north and west of Portland

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the course of the Ky discussion, it's obvious WS members outside of the PNW are unable to visualize the landscape and the lifestyle. Yes. It's rugged, steep, heavily forested, choked with undergrowth, wet, slimy, moldy.

But we consider these wet, moldy forests as "ours" whether we own them or not. We tromp around in them. Property lines mean little. It's not unusual for Locals to know the back roads, roads often built by and maintained by private forest companies.

"Is there another reason why somebody would be up on those roads?" you ask .

Uh. Yeah.

For sure...where should we start taking names...

I wasn't thinking of Logie trail, I was thinking of those places way up on Dixie Mountain Road.

Somebody we've heard about is or used to be a cyclist. DeDe, maybe? Can't even remember where I read it...Dang, the old brain is rotting clear through...

From what I've read on line today, there are a lot of mountain bike trails in that area. I just googled Rocky Point Rd., Scappoose and came up with a lot of info.

But . . . I don't know how to say this delicately . . . they aren't looking for a "body" anymore. It would be bones and they might be scattered.

Someone asked earlier today if the body would be "preserved" by cold weather. But no, not after all this time. Kyron disappeared in May, right? It wasn't cold over the summer and fall.

June 4, 2010.

If Kyron is hidden some where out there it will take experienced folks who really know that area in order to find him.

IMO, I think LE doesn't have enough information to really know if Kyron is alive or deceased so their efforts with this search by putting his picture on the trucks, the phone app, and Comcast televising his case is a two-pronged measure to find out what happened to him.

I will never give up hope that Kyron is alive and out there some where. Not until he or his remains are found.

Lastly, I am very pleased so see this two-pronged effort because Kyron MUST to be found no matter if he is alive or not. There is just no other option.

Sorry. Take mine. I was being sarcastic. It's just part of our PNW lifestyle to hike and explore. That's what we do.

Your a sweetheart...Heck in the south we hunt,fish and pee off the back porch!!! I wished we had a true name of who was involved, but we don't.. So sad....and may never...

I doubt Terri would walk into the gym in a muddy outfit with twigs in her hair on the day her stepson is about to be reported missing. So I can't really see the shower being the reason to go there.

Quite honestly, we don't even know if it was actually Terri that was at the gym . . . . Just sayin . . . .

Yes, DeDe was a cyclist and Terri helped her out by driving to give her water and things like that.

If DD was a cyclist and could still have have been 7 months ago, just go ahead and crown me as the next Ms.USA.....

I just have to comment on the teenagers searching....

Because I am now age 53, I definitely would be way more upset if I found something than I would be at age 14. I get it now.

And at age 53, I rarely stray out of my warm house (or cool house in summer), well except to go out to eat, shop, or take the dogs for a walk around the block. At age 14 thru 17, I knew every cave, fort, hideaway, dirt road, EVERYTHING.

I say these kids are awesome.

In the mid sixties one of my first boyfriends was an Explorer Scout. He was really into S&R, and it was an interest he shared with his father. When we were in the 9th grade, he and his father went out on a search for two lost skiers who had been missing for days and were not expected to be found alive. I seem to recall that the skiers were college-age ... so not older people, but not kids either.

I don't know whether the Explorers would have been called out for a search if there was strong suspicion that a crime was involved. Maybe so--but I just don't remember it ever happening.

I feel that my boyfriend was mature enough to handle it if they had found bodies. For one thing, he was with his father and other adults who were in charge and there to serve as very strong mentors. My own feeling is that even younger kids can do this type of thing if they are firmly backed by parents and LE. If I had a teenager who wanted to do it and felt strongly enough about it to do the early hours and the fitness trainers, I'd be glad to allow it, esp for the mentorship. I'd rather have a kid out training for this and doing it than hanging out at the mall or running around with a bunch of other kids under little supervision, with no adults stepping up to do good mentoring. MOO.

Not sure if hunting is allowed in that area, but I'm guessing so. Thing is with Oregon you have timber companies who own land, and then most of that also backs into BLM land (Bureau of Land Management). There will be roads that are maintained by BLM and the lumber companies that lead to, well, nowhere, to a landing where the logging equipment was used to log the side of a mountain. (AND then replanted BTW) So it is very easy to get lost in those areas, because some roads just end, and some just lead right back to where you started from. I'm probably not explaining this very well, but IIRC lumber companies are required, once they get approval to make a road, to "sort of" maintain it. Now these are just dirt roads, but BLM gives all these roads numbers and one can get a BLM map that has numbers of all those roads in a given "section" on the map.
Heck, I probably don't have this exactly right, but I'm just trying to explain how easy it would be to get lost out there.

Anyway, I'm guessing one can hunt up in this area and I also wonder if some kind of tip may have come from a hunter who maybe saw something that just didn't look quite right. ?

These logging landings are sometimes littered with all kinds of garbage, everything from ciggy butts and beer cans to bullet casings and God knows what all. (Pigs, as far I'm concerned, but I won't talk about that now.) They are places where many people go to target practice also.

So, in answer to Carbuff's question, yes people use these roads (not to mention that creeps that just go and dump a refrigerator or car off the side of them!)

Anyway, searching around today, I found this which I thought was interesting too, from a Skyline Ridge Neighbors Newsletter from April 2010:

The Logie Trail crew will meet at 18529 NW Logie Trail at 9AM which is *** ******** house. Over a hundred tires have been found down a hill and the Logie Crew is looking for some strong youth that would be willing to climb down the hill and hook up the tires to winch lines. They need to be 18 years of age or their parents need to be on site. If you're interested please call ********** and let us know you can help.

http://srnpdx.org/newsline-april-3-2010

this terrain is beginning to sound like it shares alot of commonalities with NC as far as winding mountainous/hilly land with long stretches of road surrounded by woods and lots of "flydump" sort of areas. Sigh. A terrain with its own share of challenges shall we say.

Hi Sarx,
This may very well be the stupidist question asked to you...
but could they take the dogs up and down these "off" roads in a car and they pick up a scent..??
I realize Kyron has been missing since June 4th.. but could they still pick up a scent...??

I wish they could search every day...if this is really a serious lead that they have other evidence that backs it up. It is a shame, I do understand why they can't, but how much can this family stand? And if they sift and work and search up there three weekends straight and don't find him...:( it doesn't mean he isn't out there somewhere, just that he hasn't been found. I really felt like he would be found today, and now I am back to feeling like he might never be found.

Hi Sarx,
This may very well be the stupidist question asked to you...
but could they take the dogs up and down these "off" roads in a car and they pick up a scent..??
I realize Kyron has been missing since June 4th.. but could they still pick up a scent...??

Not stupid at all, don't ever worry about that.

There are few dogs who can accurately and consistently run a 3 week old trail. Very very few who can do so at a month. Zero that I have ever witnessed that can do a 7 month old trail. There are a few handlers out there who claim they can, interestingly enough, they also charge for their services....

This is something I posted before and since it seems the new searches may stem from cellphone data I think it very well may fit...

Anytime you have data, especially multiple sets of data (like pings from different cellphone towers), you can look at that data from different perspectives. I thought this was an interesting passage from an article recounting a conference of wireless experts and researchers:

I had assumed, wrongly, that the telecom industry had pretty much figured out how to locate a cell phone call, no matter where that call is made. But it’s not that simple. According to the folks I spoke to at the conference, who work on these exact issues for big wireless carriers like Verizon and AT&T, the industry has got the basics down, but there’s still a lot of work to be done. In rural areas, for example, it can still be quite a challenge to figure out the location of a cell phone user.

As you can see, it's not always so easy figuring out what ping data tells you. These new searches could be from new ping data they discovered (on a new POI?) but I also think it could be that they had someone with more expertise look at the ping data they've had for a long time and that analysis provided a different spot where the phone(s) in question pinged.

Is there a chance that they did find something today, but are not releasing that information yet? I always wonder, would they announce it to the media immediately, or would they keep it quiet until the family had been notified and procedures fulfilled? Those of you who have experience following these cases, what do you think? I remember that when they found Ashley Pond and Miranda Gladdis they televised the finding live, and I thought that was, as well as highly disturbing, odd.

Is there a chance that they did find something today, but are not releasing that information yet? I always wonder, would they announce it to the media immediately, or would they keep it quiet until the family had been notified and procedures fulfilled? Those of you who have experience following these cases, what do you think? I remember that when they found Ashley Pond and Miranda Gladdis they televised the finding live, and I thought that was, as well as highly disturbing, odd.

Their has been cases where the family was notified before the media/public found out and their have been cases where the media/public found out the same time as the family. I'm guessing in the cases where the family found out with everyone else, someone tipped off the media outlet and they reported it before LE could get to the family.

If they did find something today, then I could see them notifying the family tonight, and then waiting until tomorrow to have a press conference about it.

Hope this isn't a redundant link, but the Oregonian has 24 good photos up now from today's search. Each one is clickable to enlarge, and that brings up the reporters comment about the photo.

http://photos.oregonlive.com/4450/gallery/search_for_kyron_horman_january_30_2011/index.html

The following link takes you directly to the mysterious item we were all questioning earlier. It's a reddish rag:

http://photos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2011/01/searching_for_kyron_horman_12.html

Thank you ~ that's disturbing. Of course it could have been left there by a hunter or fisherman, but still . . . they seem to have known where to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876