2011.05.11 Jury Selection Day Three

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just addicted, but these guys are really ~off~. The crazies that walk the street all day, ride the bus all day? Those types. How can they sit still for 6-8 weeks and analyze all the information? How do you know that they're not going to have outbursts (many are schizophrenic)? I don't see this working out, tbh.

Furthermore, it's insulting to say that you need an ethnic mix in your jury pool, so you'd like to troll the local homeless shelter. WOW, JB, really?

TBH: My gut was that JP was right in refusing the motion to strike the Jury Panel (in actual fact I couldn't stop laughing when I heard JB make the motion). Now, I don't know much of the applicable US Jurisprudence on this matter so I could be wrong. Nevertheless, had he granted the motion I doubted there would be much adverse consequences. A new jury pool? So what, State I don't think would care much and even if they did it they can't really appeal it (nor be inclined to I imagine). Further, given the strike of jury pool would be upon the Defense's motion they couldn't really complain about it.

However, this seems to be worse: HHJP is now abandoning the previous method of picking jurors and going to a homeless shelter to pick jurors to selectively pick a specific target demographic. Additionally, the effect of this will be to significantly skew the Jury pool's makeup such that (potentially) it will no longer be representative of any Floridian geographic location.

Am I not the only one who thinks that much could be made of this on appeal (even if it can only be brought in by way of ineffective assistance of counsel).

Can anyone please tell me why we do not see KC on the CNN live feed? I am so sorry if this has been answered but I have not been home all day and I was sort of looking forward to seeing the looks on KC's face as the potentail juror's were answering questions. TIA

CM seems to ask repetitive questions on hardship when he doesn't want them.. It's like he's saying "Are you SURE you don't mind losing money and freedom and accepting a huge amount of hassles and missing out on all life experiences for 8 weeks?" :rolleyes:

I served on a jury for two weeks several years ago on a homocide case. We had just sold our home and were in the process of moving to a new home. The day the jury deliberated was the day the movers moved our stuff. My kids were in elementary and friends pitched in picking them up from school. It was rough but I felt it was my civic duty.

I just finished eating Chinese food and my fortune cookie says "You will get what your heart desires."

My heart desires justice for this precious little girl, Caylee...

The judge likes them to mention where they work when they are paying for jury duty. Nice way to advertise for them. :rocker:

Does anyone know why they are splitting up the questioning? If they have no financial hardship....why don't they ask the other important questions? Why are they sending them home and bringing them back?

the defense probably doesn't want any jurors with any kind of medical backgrounds...

Juror #3093: Woman. No financial, medical, or family hardships. Works for a surgery center- job will pay for her to be off for jury duty. No plans this summer.

Called back for 2nd round.

Juror #3093. Female. Hardship - none. No financial, family or medical concerns. Work will continue to pay her. No further concerns. SA no questions. CM of course has some. Asked again about summer plans and calendar - same as the Judge. Nothing. Pets? None. Elderly people in family needing to be taken care of or children? No, children are 25 and 22.

3093 woman

no hardship, gets paid

CM: calendar (sons graduation was last week nothing else), pets (no), caretaker (no), children (adults 25,22),

asked to return

Will it take up the court's time to accomplish that?

I bet the managers of the homeless shelter will know of the people there who have good potential. There are often good, smart people who just ran into bad luck- Foster children who have aged out of the system, working class people who lost jobs, divorcees, veterans, etc.

I am actually kind of excited about it. JB thinks having minority jurors is going to benefit him. I think it will be just the opposite. They will see a very spoiled girl who had everything handed to her, and she blew it. imoo

ITA, gamom. HHJP sure knows how to think outside-the-box as they say!

My only concern with this and it's the only one is homeless people who are drug/alcohol addicts and the withdrawel they may encounter in the event they are picked and sequestered. However I'm sure that both the State and DT will make sure they ask those kind of questions.

I think the Judge is doing a fine job and the DT should watch out what they wish for or object to. :)

Wonder if the DT misses Strickland now?

it has to be such a super strange thing to sit there doing nothing all day while everyone around you is very busy working on your fate

I think that's what Casey likes about all this, so many people watching over HER.

I'm just waiting for CM to ask jurors if they've smelled a dead body before and if they eat pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnaNikiSB