2011.06.25 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Twenty-eight)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard a few times yesterday, don't recall where, that CM really messed up but now I can't find this info anywhere. Does anyone here know about this and if so what was it about?

My guess it was in opening the door to allow testimony about Casey being accused by CA of stealing her credit card. I heard someone say it that way about CM myself.

I'm not sure if this info has already been posted (I'm only on page 14 of 66) but haven't seen anything about it myself so I thought that I'd share. Apologies if this info has already been shared.

*From today's live chat located at http://www.clickorlando.com/news/28355538/detail.html

9:06
[Comment From CindyOrlando]
Tony-could you briefly summize Cindy's work /phone schedule in news report? Sorry I missed it

9:08
Tony Pipitone:
CindyOrlando, we found phone records showing Cindy did not call George at work after coming home from work on June 16, as she testified to, and that she did not just put down 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week on work schedule, as she testified she did during days of chloroform searches in March, when she now says she was home.

Yep, I think that's why LDB was asking her about when or if she called George about the ladder incident and from what phones..Cindy locked herself in now and there is no phone call to George on those dates..I can not wait until she is confronted on the stand about that!

Judge Perry has numerous times told the attorneys on both sides that if they have any issues they are to notify a court deputy at 8:30am and he will come out to deal with the issue(s) before the 9:00am starting time.

This morning Jeff Ashton apparently did just that--he notified a deputy that an issue had arisen regarding Baez withholding evidence again.

Judge Perry came out, heard argument from Ashton and then from Baez.

He requested that someone obtain and then give him copies of Dr. Furton's report (as he already had a copy of his deposition).

During the argument from Ashton and Baez, while Baez was digging his hole deeper and deeper, you could see Mason's blood pressure rising. He was becoming more and more agitated with every word that came out of Baez's mouth.

It was after all of this transpired that Mason requested a sidebar.

I think that this is what led to the raised voices in the back. I think that Mason told the inmate "backstage" that Baez is going to put a needle in her arm with his antics.

I think that Mason has had enough of Baez and his ineffective (and possibly unethical) court strategies.

BBM
I'm sure he is exhausted. Heck, I'm exhausted and all I have to do is get up at 5:30 am to watch the trial then spend until midnight reading on WS. But it's lookin' like I may need to rent a backhoe to clean my house on Sunday. Ugh.

After the trial you can send the backhoe my way...:innocent:

At least one lawyer said that the state would not be able to produce evidence now that could have been obtained earlier...I wonder if this is true. I also wonder, knowing the Anthonys, why the state would not have covered their butts and done this further research 3 years ago to be sure that Cindy was at work and get all phone records, etc...

Hmmm.. surely for their rebuttal case they can obtain new evidence... ? No idea of the law, but it makes sense that they can't pre-arrange evidence to combat whichever story the defense comes up with. To me it seems like their case in chief should be relatively fixed, but their rebuttal to the defense should be able to bring in information specific to the defense's case?

Just had a thought while reading this.
In the DT OS Baez stated that Lee followed in his father's footsteps,"but not as much" (paraphrasing).It was as though they had to throw Lee in there ,probably because of ICA's prior claims,but didn't really want to damage him.
Then you have ICA crying while Lee is on the stand.
Maybe she really does care about him ,somewhat.Or maybe he did some things early on to cover for her and she's grateful.I don't think he hid the body ,but I think he tampered with the laptop ,at the very least.

Hi MissJames,

The part about that OS regarding Lee bothers the heck outta me. Baez says, "lee followed in his Fathers foot steps but not as much" and then goes on to say, "it got so bad that they did a paternity test to see if he was Caylee's father"..............Now, how much worse (not saying it's true because I don't believe it is) could it have been? I don't follow what athe point was to say not as bad, but...

do you see what I mean? :waitasec:

Judge Perry has numerous times told the attorneys on both sides that if they have any issues they are to notify a court deputy at 8:30am and he will come out to deal with the issue(s) before the 9:00am starting time.

This morning Jeff Ashton apparently did just that--he notified a deputy that an issue had arisen regarding Baez withholding evidence again.

He requested that someone obtain and then give him copies of Dr. Furton's report (as he already had a copy of his deposition).

It was after all of this transpired that Mason requested a sidebar. During the argument from Ashton and Baez, while Baez was digging his hole deeper and deeper, you could see Mason's blood pressure rising. He was becoming more and more agitated with every word that came out of Baez's mouth.

I think that this is what led to the raised voices in the back. I think that Mason told the inmate "backstage" that Baez is going to put a needle in her arm with his antics.

I think that Mason has had enough of Baez and his ineffective (and possibly unethical) court strategies.

Typically CM keeps it together.

This photo was very telling IMO. CM looked like he had reached his limit!

click to enlarge
cm serenity now serenity now.jpg

My guess it was in opening the door to allow testimony about Casey being accused by CA of stealing her credit card. I heard someone say it that way about CM myself.

He had the deputy on the stand and ask him why he handcuffed KC.

I'm just amazed that the Judge patiently watched JB throw his fit with the same interested, attentive look he always has, then shook his head back and forth a few times, pursed his lips and then told JB what was actually going to happen. lol

I know! Sometimes those pursed lips mean he is angry..sometimes it means he's amused..and he wasn't amused! Either way, he has the patience of a Saint!

An old wives tale I heard growing up is that dogs are good judges of character and if you meet a man (or woman) that no dog likes, then take the dogs advice on that one.

(ETA: it was "dogs and babies".
my parent's had a dog that absolutely hated my abusive sociopathic ex husband
she would not let him near our newborn son or me she would lunge at him teeth bared she never reacted like to anyone else she didn't growl at the mailman even. they had to put her outside when we visited and she growled at the door the whole time we were there. Wish they would have had her when I first started dating him.

This case is the polar opposite of KC's case. I learned so much about Ann F. by watching this movie and was moved to tears repeatedly.

This case (in the documentary) embodies the motivation of "SOME" defense attorney's....BUT not all!!!!

You are right on!! I kinda wish I had seen this prior to jury selection ..I have a lot respect for her ..but as you said polar opposite of this case..

HlN said there was 6-8 witnesses waiting to testify today. I would love it if we could get a heads up on who was there so we know whats coming up on Monday, of course unless this trial goes down the tubes.

I saw a tweet saying it was Yuri and several other Orange County employees, all involved with early investigation of the case. There is speculation that the questioning was going to be trying to show that these people only looked at Casey and ignored other possible perps.

During the argument from Ashton and Baez, while Baez was digging his hole deeper and deeper, you could see Mason's blood pressure rising. He was becoming more and more agitated with every word that came out of Baez's mouth.

It was after all of this transpired that Mason requested a sidebar.

I have a feeling that Baez is hiding information from Mason and he is fed up with it. I also feel that after seeing how Baez talks to His Honor he is furious..because Mason understands that there is a certain respect that must be offered to the court. One day I heard HHBP say to Mr Mason that he was sure there would not be any more infor witheld from the prosceution and Mr Mason said he would guarantee it...Baez is not going to change his stripes and he is an embarassment. moo

omg, i think i might figure out what the Legal matter is When Judge Perry announced the recess of the day the camera went over to the SA tables or defense table one of the attorneys was shutting down their laptop, and it showed a set of pictures. i saw it on Wesh and it was at 1:02 or so...

There is stuff flying around about a Brady Motion anyone got any clues?

Yes, I know..I was responding to the post I quoted about why someone said mason "messed" up.

LOL I was trying to answer and just add to yours, it just came out wrong, cause I'm old. Just trying to help them find the testimony, not correct you, but I am sorry that it appeared that way. Still all good.

I bet HHJP's major frustration is that he feels compelled to extend his boundaries to avoid an appeal and he allows the DT to get away with more than he should or would in most cases. It conflicts with his better judgement and professional standards. The DT is dirtying his honorable courtroom. I know it makes me quite angry watching it play out. I sooo want to see them harshly slammed to the full extent at every sleazy sham they attempt. Anthony family included. :banghead:

At least one lawyer said that the state would not be able to produce evidence now that could have been obtained earlier...I wonder if this is true. I also wonder, knowing the Anthonys, why the state would not have covered their butts and done this further research 3 years ago to be sure that Cindy was at work and get all phone records, etc...

I think they did get some of that as part of the investigation,but remember,CA is now claiming things she did not in her depo. This should allow the State to introduce evidence they might not have needed before.
JMO I'm not a lawyer or a chemist :crazy:

but the Judge can't request that Mason take over? I'm worried gitana...sometimes I wonder if JB is this ignorant and arrogant..or if knows it's a lost cause and he's going for it so that it will be overturned..

No, the judge cannot require that CM take over. I suppose he could suggest it but I think that would be inappropriate.

Yes, JB is that ignorant and arrogant. And lawyers really don't try to muck up a lost cause to allow for an appeal. I joked once on here about that but in reality, no lawyer would do that.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered - I can't keep up with this thread!

For what purpose would the Judge and court reporter have need to do work related to the case in which the SA and DT would not be present? HHJBP and the CR took off at the end while all the attorneys remained in the courtroom packing up.

Just curious . . .

What I think is that he would need the court reporter so that he could have her pull Fry hearing testimony to compare with this new opinion or visual aids or whatever, that the expert intends to testify to, and the depo and the expert's report and see if they match up or if indeed, it is a new opinion that he cannot testify to as it would be a discovery violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper