2011.07.03 TRIAL Day Thirty-four - DEFENSE (JB) CLOSING ARGUMENTS

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Judge Perry but I am not digging the double standard; Baez has been acting like a laughing, smirking boob for six weeks and getting away with it. Well...His Honor knows the law and I don't. Still.....

Not mentioning at all how Casey has broken all these rules! Even calling JA an SOB today! Really?

I don't have a problem at this point with both of them being fined. As long as it is both! Baez did raise the problem and JA did continue to smile. I love the man and think the world of him, but he has done this all afternoon. Baez should have NEVER addressed this in front of the jury.

I am not going to say too much about this here because (a) I am not constantly at my PC (moving about atm); and (b) I realise that a lot of people on this board are heavily endeared to Jeff Ashton and don't appreciate criticism.

I will say this however:
(1) Ashton has done worse during the closing arguments, indeed, his laughing was less pronounced than it had been previously. JP should be looking at the entirety of this conduct because it affects KC's right to a fair trial (yes, she even she has that right). CM needs to keep this in account when asking for a mistrial. The appellate record doesn't seem to be well preserved on this point.

(2) Baez is <modsnip comment here> but Ashton should know better. He has been a lawyer for at least 20 years I assume. It was not needed.

(3) I am dissapointed that JP is (it would appear) considering doing contempt proceedings now. This should wait until after trial.

(4) I shudder to think what would happen had the camera's not been here. No proof. One attorney's word against another.

1291 users viewing this thread. . .thanks etal for keeping us afloat in this very important trial moment.

Was ICA just laughing???? If so, WHY is she allowed to???:maddening:

I saw that too!!!! DO they just have to stay composed when the trial is going on? or when the jury is in there?

Casey seems pretty pleased.

No offense to you at all but JA doesn't want to see it because he know's what he did was wrong.:truce:
I disagree...he doesn't want to stand in the way of the Court moving along.
JMO

Ashton did not cause this..let's put this in perspective. Baez caused this. He is inept, inadequate and does not deserve to be in a court of law, no less practicing it. Any other lawyer would have ignored and kept focus.

If the rule says "no expressions from anyone at counsel table" why has nothing been done about ICA vehemently shaking her head? I am asking a serious question here.

I'm guessing because no one has objected.

JA takes responsibility like a man.....

Well is he going to take it "like a man" if he forces a mistrial with his misbehavior? This is not a time for edgy behavior by the pros.

Agreed, and I'm extremely disappointed. I thought at least Ashton could remain professional so a murdered baby could get her justice. I think Ashton is a good prosecutor, but I can't excuse defying the judge's orders and causing this mess.
I agree with you. Ashton gave a brilliant and stunning summation, and then acts like a foolish schoolboy and derails Baez' closing remarks. Shameful and utterly disgraceful :mad:

Jose was PROVOKING Mr. Ashton ...

He has been PROVOKING JA since this Trial started ...

MOO MOO MOO !

I'm no attorney, but I suspect this may be one of the oldest tricks in the defense lawyer book. I guess my eyes were lyin' when I saw Baez do all manner of stuff when Ashton was speaking throughout the trial.

can&#8217;t catch my breath....HH seems calmer

I have been watching trials since 1992 and I have never seen anything like this!

This has been one of the more flamboyant trials I have seen, although I haven't sat through scores of them. Yet, at least.

http://yfrog.com/gz6nwpxj
scaled.php

Someone show this picture to HHJP, QUICK!!

I think he is going to find them both in contempt and hit them with a hefty fine.

CM will move for a mistrial. HHJP will deny the motion.

All that just my :twocents:

Agree with everything except I think maybe he will let them cool their jets overnight in a jail cell. Since HJJP said "he will go do what he has to do."

It is MUCH worse to openly yell, point at the prosecutor and call him " this laughing guy right here" than to smile/try to hide it with the hand. LDB was sort of smiling too.

I've seen CM and JB do this often during the trial but the State has not stooped to calling them out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member