2016.04.21 Bond Reduction Hearing thread

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Heck, at this point I wouldn't be surprised to find out that MS wrote "payment for murder expenses" in the memo line.
I kind of doubt that. The problem I have is if the state is relying so heavily on statements by CWW, a felon and admitted murderer, that a jury will buy into whatever defense is used by Mark Seviers.

I understand what you are saying, RANCH. However, no matter how MS's defense tries to explain the transference of compensation......How in the world will they ever explain the SUDDEN NEED FOR BURNER PHONES and sophisticated (NOT!)use of code word "OTHER" ???? I can see a lot of possibilities in the defense argument already....but I keep coming back to the purchase and use of burner phones!! If MS's conversations with CWW were in the course of normal business, WHY THE SUDDEN NEED TO USE BURNER PHONES??
To me and I have thought about this a lot, BURNER PHONES=CONSPIRACY=PREMEDITATION=GUILT.

You've already made up your mind and I'm not trying to change it.

I've seen juries fall for some pretty lame defense strategy's that to this day I don't comprehend. While unlikely, the same could happen in this case.

A victory for the defense may be a hung jury. JMO

I kind of doubt that. The problem I have is if the state is relying so heavily on statements by CWW, a felon and admitted murderer, that a jury will buy into whatever defense is used by Mark Seviers.

I was just kidding around ;) Seriously though, while you definitely have a point, I am interested to see the next batch release related to MS. I believe they likely have quite a lot on him thst we're not aware of yet. As sloppily as this whole murder scenario was carried out, I think there will be plenty of evidence to present in addition to CWW's information.

I was just kidding around ;) Seriously though, while you definitely have a point, I am interested to see the next batch release related to MS. I believe they likely have quite a lot on him thst we're not aware of yet. As sloppily as this whole murder scenario was carried out, I think there will be plenty of evidence to present in addition to CWW's information.

I'm sure that we will see some really convincing evidence showing Mark's guilt.

I still like to explore what the defense may use at trial.

You've already made up your mind and I'm not trying to change it.

I've seen juries fall for some pretty lame defense strategy's that to this day I don't comprehend. While unlikely, the same could happen in this case.

A victory for the defense may be a hung jury. JMO

Oh no problem, RANCH. You are doing what every great Sleuther does....question everything and everyone! Frankly, I have been surprised by recent verdicts, too. I guess the atmosphere in a court room is a lot different than sitting back in my "opinion chair" , lol. I recently saw a sign that said, "I MAY BE WRONG, BUT I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT!" I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I won't bet the RANCH on the outcome, either.:loveyou:

Hiya RANCH:smile: I bolded and enlarged what I believe above. I wrote down the information exactly as I heard it from the interview. And, I also remember CWW's bride claiming, "We never had no money." (paraphrasing her response, ok) Hmmmm, that has to be a lie, because how else would CWW come up with the $100 bills he used at Walmart and the gas stations???
JL could have given CWW travel money ....or MS could have sent check with the burner phone

. . . MS had the gall to say/indicate that he cannot touch any monies from insurance or martial 'from his wife until acquitted', (not a true quote). . . .

MS also said, multiple times, that the insurers wouldn't pay "until the investigation is over." Whether Marky's words or Mummert's, that phrase was an intentional evasion. The investigation is over--it's in that telephone book Hunter showed the court. All that remains is the presentation of the evidence at trial.

I have a problem too when jailhouse testimony is just that--Prisoner 1 testifying that unrelated Prisoner 2 said or admitted something in prison, with Prisoner 1 getting a reduced sentence for his unrelated crime in exchange for his testimony. What we have here is completely different--testimony from tightly related Co-conspirator 1, a best friend forever, a brother from another mother, against Co-conspirator 2, testimony that also implicates Co-conspirator 1 and results in him spending 25 years in prison, testimony that is backed up by corroborating evidence (burner phones and who knows what else, like maybe retrieved messages from the burner phones or the fax machines that Marky tried to discard on the day of the funeral, or whatever other huge mistakes these genius mopes made along the way).

And yes, Curtis is an ex-con, but then why was Marky so close to him? And won't the evidence, and his behavior, paint Marky all but a con now? After Mark's performance yesterday, I'd guess Curtis will look better, more composed, more empathetic, more truthful, in court than Mark. I don't recall Curtis bobbing, shaking, sputtering, and "not recalling" during his court appearances. He's probably a smoother con than Mark.

Right now, it appears the State is relying on CWW statements, but I bet they have evidence to back a great majority of it up. State knows they need more then just a felons word otherwise they would not have cut CWW a 25 year sentence. State had to beable to orove what CWW said. We do not see anything yet...may have to wait for a doc dump and trial.

Right now, it appears the State is relying on CWW statements, but I bet they have evidence to back a great majority of it up. State knows they need more then just a felons word otherwise they would not have cut CWW a 25 year sentence. State had to beable to orove what CWW said. We do not see anything yet...may have to wait for a doc dump and trial.
Exactly. IMO CWW'S testimony will most likely corroborate the evidence. It's the icing on the cake. It's just not his testimony that will nail MS but the totality of the evidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Exactly. IMO CWW'S testimony will most likely corroborate the evidence. It's the icing on the cake. It's just not his testimony that will nail MS but the totality of the evidence.

I would think it will produce more avenues to uncover more evidence, fill in some holes, and completely seal the deal.

I agree. Sheriff Mike Scott said "We got our man" I don't believe they would've offered any plea to CWW without irrefutable, undeniable evidence against MS. I'll bet the ranch on it IQuestion. :)

"We were after Mark Sievers. We got our man and we're very happy for that," said Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott, after marching Sievers past the media.

...or it could have been sent in a "wedding card".
Exactly what I was thinking OC Sunshine. That was the "gift" that MS was so afraid might have fallen out of the card that Mark sent his BFF :gift: You would have thought he would have been smart enough to send cash...but he was too concerned that CWW's mail might not have been secure enough. Ironically a check on the other hand is very secure, not to mention traceable.

Exactly Deb ~ CWW just filled in the dots that LE needed to arrest MS and make it STICK.

Wright must've had a lot to say in his sworn statement. The transcript was a couple inches thick. Can't wait to hear.
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to find out much about MS for awhile. CWW isn't set to be sentenced for his plea deal until May 31. The evidence/documents/transcripts (whatever they are called) that CWW has given under oath to LE about MS's plot to his wife murdered for $$$$ were sealed. :tantrum:

LMAO at Mark trying to sound so "lawyerish". On the video, when being questioned by SA Hamid Hunter regarding the possibilities of collecting the life insurance proceeds according to case law authority & applicable statutes, he responds, "I do not know sir, that's beyond my scope." :lol:

Oh please. Other than those of us who work in this field, who talks like that? Heck, I'm a paralegal and I never even talk like that. GMAB
Thanks for that chuckle beach. I guess he leaned that law lingo when was thinking about becoming a lawyer, before he realized it was too much hard work and WAY beyond his scope. :wink:

This article hasn't been posted yet, (TMK) listen how confident the lunatic is when he addresses the judge:

"I'm not entitled to receive or benefit at all from anything pertaining to the estate or joint assets or anything of my wife until this is concluded and I'm acquitted."
SMH...as if that will ever happen.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/31780369...fter-judge-denies-bond-reduction#.Vxqb3Xn5P5r

I have some of the same concerns. Maybe I'm just jaded post Casey Anthony but IMO, trials are not necessarily about getting to the truth. They seem like more of a game between attorney's. Each side wants a WIN.
Based on what we saw at the Bond Reduction hearing, it appears Mr. Hamid is an excellent litigator. Mummert seemed to stumble around, asking questions which backfired on MS. ("When was the last time you were in MO, MS?) Still, I hope there is some really concrete evidence against MS as well as CWW's testimony. I hope the jurors do not have to rely solely on a confessed murderer who copped to 25 years in exchange for his testimony.

I pray the truth does prevail for TS.

Excuse me for jumping in, but after straining to hear it for so long, I want to share the info while fresh in my mind. From the WINK audio at 53:20 the questions and answers to the check are explained in court!
https://www.facebook.com/winknewstv/videos/10154125
HAMID: The check received by Curtis Wright from Mark Sievers... did he tell you what he used it for?

DET DREAMY: He did.

HAMID: What did he tell you he used it for?

DET DREAMY: It was used primarily for the trip down to Florida to commit the murder of Teresa Sievers.

Pretty much confirms what I thought. CWW got a check (ie down payment) from MS to cover the cost of going down to Florida and committing the murder. CWW was then supposed to get more $$$ after the insurance companies paid.

I think from now on I am going to refer to Prosecutor Hamid as "MR. I GOT THIS!"
Too funny. Had headphones plugged in phone. Dozed off a few times. BF comes home & thinks I'm nuts.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was thinking OC Sunshine. That was the "gift" that MS was so afraid might have fallen out of the card that Mark sent his BFF :gift: You would have thought he would have been smart enough to send cash...but he was too concerned that CWW's mail might not have been secure enough. Ironically a check on the other hand is very secure, not to mention traceable.

Exactly Deb ~ CWW just filled in the dots that LE needed to arrest MS and make it STICK.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to find out much about MS for awhile. CWW isn't set to be sentenced for his plea deal until May 31. The evidence/documents/transcripts (whatever they are called) that CWW has given under oath to LE about MS's plot to his wife murdered for $$$$ were sealed. :tantrum:

Thanks for that chuckle beach. I guess he leaned that law lingo when was thinking about becoming a lawyer, before he realized it was too much hard work and WAY beyond his scope. :wink:

This article hasn't been posted yet, (TMK) listen how confident the lunatic is when he addresses the judge:

"I'm not entitled to receive or benefit at all from anything pertaining to the estate or joint assets or anything of my wife until this is concluded and I'm acquitted."
SMH...as if that will ever happen.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/31780369...fter-judge-denies-bond-reduction#.Vxqb3Xn5P5r
Love all your comments and insight Dmacky!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny
Back