2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Those bungalows look terribly vulnerable. I wonder if people have been evacuated from the resort(s).
I would expect they have been evacuated, at least to a solid building at the resort. I read that flights were full earlier. Those bungalows will be gone soon. The storm is going to hit the southern part of the island hardest and the resort is on the northern side, so maybe there will be less damage there. But there are resorts all over Jamaica that will be impacted.

At 8 p.m. ET, the center of Hurricane Beryl was just offshore of the southwest part of Jamaica, about 100 miles west of Kingston, with maximum winds of 130 mph, according to the National Hurriane Center.

Beryl is still a dangerous Category 4 storm, pounding southern Jamaica with hurricane-force winds, torrential rain, and a storm surge of 6 to 9 feet.
From satellite imagery that I saw on the Force 13 livestream, it seemed like Beryl's eye made a very brief landfall in southern Jamaica. I hope the damage isn't too severe

some coworkers are supposed to go to Jamaica in a week- I asked them "Aren't you worried about this hurricane? " they said oh, no, we're going next week... :(

I just had to laugh at the naivety of your coworkers. I have never been in an actual "hurricane", just a "tropical storm", that "tropical storm" that I was SO glad was NOT a hurricane, dropped three feet of water in less than two days.

Torrential rain, endless. No electricity. Hot as hades, and humid. How can it rain, and be hot?! We couldn't open the windows, too much rain. No AC. It was miserable. And after it was over, mud everywhere. Thick mud, 5 or 6 inches in some places.

Your friends better pack their Muck boots.

Hurricane Beryl is hitting the Cayman Islands after tearing through other Caribbean islands, including Jamaica, where more than a month’s worth of rain fell and relentless winds pounded the island.

The death toll rose to at least eight late on Wednesday after one person died in Jamaica. Beryl is now a Category 3 storm…..

Beryl is on a collision course with Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula as a hurricane Friday morning. The storm will then emerge in the Gulf of Mexico and impact parts of northeastern Mexico and South Texas this weekend.

Hurricane #Beryl is now passing south of Grand Cayman, managing to hold onto its eyewall structure despite continued weakening overnight. Aircraft recon data shows max winds of 105-115 mph. The eyewall is missing Grand Cayman, where tropical storm conditions are being observed.

Beryl will continue to face hostile environmental conditions today, but is expected to remain a hurricane by the time it makes landfall on the Mexican portion of the Yucatan coastline overnight tonight.

Look at the Temps of the Gulf of Mexico water now, in comparison with normal Temps. Significantly higher in some areas. I think Beryl will hit Yucatan, and then gain strength over the warm waters in the Gulf. Folks in Texas gulf area better be getting their homes ready for floods this holiday weekend.

...CENTER OF BERYL MOVING ACROSS THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA......STRONG WINDS, DANGEROUS STORM SURGE, AND DAMAGING WAVES EXPECTEDON THE COAST OF THE YUCATAN PENINSULA OF MEXICO BY EARLY FRIDAY...

2:00 PM EDT Thu Jul 4
Moving: WNW at 18 mph
Min pressure: 974 mb
Max sustained: 110 mph

Hurricane Beryl is now a Category 2 storm and is unloading damaging winds, torrential rainfall and dangerous storm surge over a significant portion of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula after hammering several Caribbean islands. The storm has killed at least nine people.

The storm will weaken and emerge in the Gulf of Mexico Friday evening. It’s expected to strengthen again ahead of its final landfall in northeastern Mexico or South Texas this weekend.

I just had to laugh at the naivety of your coworkers. I have never been in an actual "hurricane", just a "tropical storm", that "tropical storm" that I was SO glad was NOT a hurricane, dropped three feet of water in less than two days.

Torrential rain, endless. No electricity. Hot as hades, and humid. How can it rain, and be hot?! We couldn't open the windows, too much rain. No AC. It was miserable. And after it was over, mud everywhere. Thick mud, 5 or 6 inches in some places.

Your friends better pack their Muck boots.
they say that the airport and their hotel are OK....always wonder about ground transportation, electricity and supplies but maybe just part of Jamaica was under water... I dunno. Crazy to vacation where people are being evacuated but that is the world these days.

they say that the airport and their hotel are OK....always wonder about ground transportation, electricity and supplies but maybe just part of Jamaica was under water... I dunno. Crazy to vacation where people are being evacuated but that is the world these days.

It is a toss up, so many of these places rely on tourism dollars. The same issue came up in Hawaii, after the devastating fire in Maui. So many homeless people, meanwhile hotels filled with tourists.

I have not been back to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. For some reason, I feel like it wouldn't be the same any longer. Like, the magic is gone. The same as Key West. I am sure that those places are just as wonderful as before. But, I just don't want to go and be sad.

My friend who lives in Puerto Rico says that many things are not the same as they were before the last Hurricane.

Latest forecast track and it's alarming. Beryl WILL make landfall in southern Texas at this point.

204723_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
Tropical Storm Beryl Forecast Discussion

INIT 05/2100Z 21.2N 89.2W 55 KT 65 MPH...INLAND
12H 06/0600Z 22.0N 91.0W 50 KT 60 MPH...OVER WATER
24H 06/1800Z 23.2N 93.0W 55 KT 65 MPH
36H 07/0600Z 24.3N 94.6W 60 KT 70 MPH
48H 07/1800Z 25.3N 95.9W 65 KT 75 MPH
60H 08/0600Z 26.5N 96.8W 70 KT 80 MPH
72H 08/1800Z 27.8N 97.3W 80 KT 90 MPH...AT COAST
96H 09/1800Z 30.5N 97.0W 30 KT 35 MPH...INLAND
120H 10/1800Z 32.5N 95.5W 25 KT 30 MPH...POST-TROP/INLAND

The resort in Jamaica my daughter and SIL previously stayed at on the north coast was undamaged. She said she heard that they enlisted guests to help clean up the mess!

Beryl has re-emerged over the Atlantic, greatly weakened by its passage over Mexico. However, the NHC has noted conditions along its path are VERY favorable- low wind shear and warm sea surface temperatures.

And this is her projected path. Seems like Beryl has her eye on Corpus Christi.

212133_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
Tropical Storm Beryl Forecast Discussion

INIT 06/0300Z 21.7N 90.2W 50 KT 60 MPH
12H 06/1200Z 22.7N 91.8W 50 KT 60 MPH
24H 07/0000Z 23.9N 93.6W 55 KT 65 MPH
36H 07/1200Z 25.0N 95.0W 60 KT 70 MPH
48H 08/0000Z 26.2N 96.0W 70 KT 80 MPH
60H 08/1200Z 27.6N 96.6W 80 KT 90 MPH
72H 09/0000Z 29.2N 96.7W 50 KT 60 MPH...INLAND
96H 10/0000Z 31.8N 95.3W 25 KT 30 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW
120H 11/0000Z 33.9N 92.5W 20 KT 25 MPH...POST-TROP/INLAND

Members online