Tropical Storm ERNESTO
As of 12:00 UTC Aug 14, 2024:

Maximum Winds: 60 kt Gusts: N/A
Minimum Central Pressure: 991 mb
Environmental Pressure: N/A
Radius of Circulation: N/A
Radius of Maximum wind: 50 nm

“SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO -
Ernesto strengthened into a hurricane on Wednesday as it dropped torrential rain on Puerto Rico and left nearly half of all clients in the U.S. territory without power as it threatened to strengthen into a major storm en route to Bermuda.

The storm was located about 175 miles (280 kilometers) northwest of San Juan, Puerto Rico and was moving over open waters. It had maximum sustained winds of 75 mph (120 kph) and was moving northwest at 16 mph (26 kph).”
View attachment 524548

It seems as though Newfoundland may be taking a direct hit.
It always seems so strange to me, that Canada is effected by hurricanes. Growing up in FL, and even as an adult, I don't ever remember hearing about hurricanes going so far north. I'm sure they did but maybe it is that the forecasting is so good now, there is more awareness.

Later into next week there's a possibility that by then being an ex tropical storm it'll get caught in the jet stream and head out way here in the uk, not unusual as I made comment on the 2023 thread.

View attachment 524321
I fully expect you to return my shingles and lawn furniture after Monday. Normally they end up west in New Brunswick.

We end up receiving birds from Florida. We feed them, make them fat and point them south after the storms.

It always seems so strange to me, that Canada is effected by hurricanes. Growing up in FL, and even as an adult, I don't ever remember hearing about hurricanes going so far north. I'm sure they did but maybe it is that the forecasting is so good now, there is more awareness.

I think it’s because we tend to look at our location first and may only hear about the storm elsewhere if it hits another place hard, imo.

Here’s a current tweet from the US:
Bill Walsh

@BILLWALSHTV
·
4m

FIRST ALERT// Hurricane Ernesto Update// Ernesto will continue to pull away from the island and forecast to strengthen. A dip in the jet stream will pick the storm up and keep it well to our east. We could see some rip currents, otherwise, no impacts. Thankfully.”

He’s local news, so that’s understandable that he doesn’t mention where Ernesto is going.

This is also current in our national coverage:
ECCC Canadian Hurricane Centre

@ECCC_CHC
·
3h

The
@ECCC_CHC
is monitoring Ernesto, which is expected to intensify and affect Bermuda this weekend. The storm will likely pass over Canadian marine waters, but the impact on land remains uncertain at this time. We are planning an update for this evening.
https://x.com/ECCC_CHC/status/1823777989441589365/photo/1
https://x.com/ECCC_CHC/status/1823777989441589365/photo/1
https://x.com/ECCC_CHC/status/1823777989441589365
Here’s the latest update. It’s currently headed towards a capital city:

1723670784810.png

We don’t have the evening update yet. No official warnings.

...ERNESTO STRENGTHENS TO A CATEGORY 2 HURRICANE AS IT APPROACHES BERMUDA......PREPARATIONS ON BERMUDA SHOULD BE COMPLETED BEFORE FRIDAY AFTERNOON...

11:00 PM AST Thu Aug 15
Moving: NNE at 14 mph
Min pressure: 968 mb
Max sustained: 100 mph

CAT 2 now. Hoping everyone is taking shelter and remains safe.

As of the NHC’s 2 p.m. advisory Friday, the center of Ernesto was located about 180 miles south-southwest of Bermuda with maximum sustained winds of 100 mph as it moves north-northeast at 14 mph.

This was my first hurricane in 1954.

I was fascinated watching the road disappear, then our tiered lawn being covered and my father yelling at me to get away from the picture window. I was mesmerized by the forces of nature.

Many died that night, houses were swept down the river west of Toronto.

In the morning, we walked to the river & watched dead livestock floating by. The egg farm was obliterated as well, having been on a flood plain.

Hazel literally changed my life.

Last edited:

I was fascinated watching the road disappear, then our tiered lawn being covered and my father yelling at me to get away from the picture window. I was mesmerized by the forces of nature.

In the morning, we walked to the river & watched dead livestock floating by. The egg farm was obliterated as well, having been on a flood plain.

Wow! What a memorable event!!! Thanks for sharing!

That was a shocking and memorable experience for you. I didn't realize that Hazel caused so much damage in Canada.

I was living in Springfield, Missouri in 1954, and don't remember hearing much (or anything, really) about Hazel, although my parents may have talked about it. I learned about it when we moved to NC in 1960. It was a horrific storm. The name Hazel was retired permanently in 1969, per the Wikipedia article.

...ERNESTO VERY NEAR BERMUDA......STRONG WINDS, DANGEROUS STORM SURGE, AND LIFE-THREATENINGFLOODING OCCURRING ON THE ISLAND...

11:00 PM AST Fri Aug 16
Moving: NNE at 13 mph
Min pressure: 969 mb
Max sustained: 90 mph

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members