2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

At least 116 people have been killed and hundreds more remain missing after Hurricane Helene slammed into the southeast states, bringing catastrophic flooding to communities and plunging thousands into darkness.

side note

according to the CDC, the red cross reported 117 deaths related to hurricane Sandy, with the media reporting as many as 131. The cnn post above isnt entirely accurate.

Asheville Shelters​

There are two shelters available at Asheville–Buncombe Technical Community College:

• General Population Shelter: A-B Tech Conference Center, 16 Fernihurst Drive, Asheville, NC 28801 (Please use Victoria Road Entrance). No pets allowed
  • Medical Emergency Shelter for individuals dependent on medical equipment requiring power:10 Genevieve Circle, Asheville, NC 28801

Water Sources​

The city's water system was heavily damaged in the storm, and a boil advisory is in place for Western North Carolina. In a release on Sunday, city officials said "restoring service to the full system could potentially take weeks."

Emergencies​

For any life-threatening situations, always call 911. Buncombe County has a line for reports of downed trees, debris and other non-emergencies: 828-250-6650.

Food Distribution Sites​

• Monte Vista Hotel (Food and WiFi): 310 W State St, Black Mountain, NC
  • Bears Smokehouse: 135 Cox Ave, Asheville

More at link...

I live in Tennessee and we receive updates hourly. This is the first time I've heard of "roving mobs stealing generators". Can anyone else confirm this?

"The southeastern United States
has been plunged into crisis as the aftermath of Hurricane Helene continues to wreak havoc across multiple states.

A staggering 2.5 million customers across South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Virginia
remain without power,
according to PowerOutage.us.

The power outages have sparked scenes of chaos,
with desperate families lining up outside gas stations
and reports emerging of roving mobs stealing generators."

I live in Tennessee and we receive updates hourly. This is the first time I've heard of "roving mobs stealing generators". Can anyone else confirm this?
I would not be surprised if this is accurate. Each state needs to get tough on looters, price gougers, etc. to protect their residents.

It used to be like that here in FL. People would pilfer stuff just to resell it. If it was a parent getting diapers or milk, they were given leeway. But there were thugs that would loot and destroy property because they could. The FL Attorney General typically gets on TV and reminds people what happens to looters and price gougers. You can report them now and they investigate. Stores have been penalized and lost liquor licenses, etc over the years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pandaqui
Back