2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm going to post this up on here. It is a Broadcastify link. It takes you to a feed that is currently being broadcast using two way and ham radio providing updates to disaster relief in primarily the western North Carolina region. It's legit. Click the link to Broadcastify, then search and open the W4HTP 145.350 Repeater link.

RALEIGH, N.C. (WBTV) - North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper will provide the latest updates Tuesday after Hurricane Helene caused major damage and claimed more than 130 lives across the southeast.

Cooper and emergency management officials are scheduled to speak at 11 a.m. from the state’s Emergency Operations Center in Raleigh. The update will be livestreamed in the top of this story, as well as on the WBTV News app and WBTV Facebook page.

Seems to be a way to watch for free. Ill keep an eye out for a youtube link.

We were encouraged to see the damage to Lake Lure didn’t *appear* to be as bad as we had feared, but we were only able to drive through it quickly, we weren’t allowed to stop

But the boats in the marina were all stacked on top of each other

I would not be surprised if this is accurate. Each state needs to get tough on looters, price gougers, etc. to protect their residents.

It used to be like that here in FL. People would pilfer stuff just to resell it. If it was a parent getting diapers or milk, they were given leeway. But there were thugs that would loot and destroy property because they could. The FL Attorney General typically gets on TV and reminds people what happens to looters and price gougers. You can report them now and they investigate. Stores have been penalized and lost liquor licenses, etc over the years.
Unfortunately I saw it first hand with Katrina. I saw families literally standing guard over their property with weapons......and I didn't blame them in the least.
So far the local news agencies in Tennessee haven't reported any looting, so I'd like to find out if this is true. If it is, they need to be identified and their photos posted on every media outlet available.

We have a hope-to-be-one-day retirement home in Clemson in upstate SC.
Our neighborhood there has dozens of large trees on power lines and houses. No power of course.
Our next door neighbors there had a tree fall on their cars. Our son checked our house there on Saturday and took this picture. He proclaimed we had the “luckiest house in the neighborhood” as we had two trees down but no real damage.

1727802467032.jpeg

From my perspective, national news is not covering this as much as they have for other disasters. Is it because it is primarily affecting rural areas and Appalachia? I haven't seen much about this at all.

I think they may be having trouble getting access other than by drone flights and such.

It is probably easier to get into the damaged areas along the Florida coast than to get into the Appalachian roads and forests right now

I think they may be having trouble getting access other than by drone flights and such.

It is probably easier to get into the damaged areas along the Florida coast than to get into the Appalachian roads and forests right now
Yeah, they gotta go way back and get things in by mule, horseback, etc. Drop it down from a plane or helicopter with one of those baskets. Whatever it takes to help people. This dock strike is going to put supplies at risk.

With the death toll climbing to 160, Hurricane Helene is the second-deadliest hurricane to strike the US mainland in the past 50 years. The deadliest – Hurricane Katrina in 2005 – killed at least 1,833 people.

The death toll from Helene has risen to at least 160 across six states, according to CNN’s tally, after the death toll in North Carolina reached 73.

Here’s the breakdown of deaths by state:

North Carolina: 73 people
South Carolina: 36 people
Georgia: 25 people
Florida: 15 people
Tennessee: 9 people
Virginia: 2 people

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors