Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The fact that the judge had Stines' minor child's phone number in his phone immediately sent up a red flag to me.
Babysitting? The judge's daughters appear to be either the same age or older than Stines' kid.
Family friends? None of my husband's friends or colleagues ever had any of my minor daughters phone numbers in their phone.

If there is a legit reason for the judge to have that girl's personal phone number in his phone, I'm not seeing it.

jmo
Was this discussed in the msm Court TV YT link below ?
Or did you have a different link ?
I may have missed where it was discussed if it's in the link in the below post.
Tia.

Watching the shooting footage again. (WARNING: It's graphic.) Starts at approx. the 20:00 mark in the video.

It's approximately 20 seconds of shooting, including shooting from both sides of the desk as well as after he opened the door.

Imo.

Something to do with (they) enticing or attempting to entice the daughter into some activity (belief/cult type) and these attempts involving the wife (as in her supporting/resisting ) the activity.
There is lots here to be discovered yet, and it may well remain hidden until trial and MS testifies.
Yes, something like that i.e., enticing away from Stines.
But obv. (imo !) not like, kidnapping.
Maybe persuaded to leave, though ?
Omo.

"I was told Sheriff Stines tried to call his daughter, and tried to call his daughter from the judge's phone also," Kentucky State Police Det. Clayton Stamper said.

During the preliminary hearing, Stamper said Mullins and Stines met for lunch earlier on the day of the shooting. He said after lunch Mullins made a comment to Stines about meeting later in private in his chambers.
When the meeting happened, Stines was seated when he asked Mullins for his phone and tried to call his daughter.
He said Stines stood up "seconds" after seeing the judge's phone and began shooting.
Stamper said the phones are with KSP's forensics lab and he is not yet aware of what was on the devices at the time of the shooting.
I wonder if the daughter's number on the Judge's phone was under a false contact name and the Sheriff was aware. But the Judge denied it. The Sheriff used the Judge's phone to call the daughter's number, showing it was under a fake name, thus implying it was for some sort of secret purpose. When daughter's phone or voice mail answered......

I think Stamper's testimony was unclear - he'd been hesitant to speak to anything regarding phones and phone analysis and when he confirmed that Stines did in fact call his daughter from Mullins phone, it's being assumed that daughter was a saved contact in Mullins phone by Mullins. There's no evidence of this at this time -- only that Stines called his daughter using Mullins phone.
Rbm.
Thanks for clarifying. ^^^

I thought this fact came from the video of today's hearing; but wasn't 100 % certain.
You're correct it may not be important to this case , but it could be construed as not being a good look, iykwim ?
Omo.

Bbm.
Very possible.
He was unraveling perhaps and believe things were happening -- that, in actuality -- were not occurring at all ?
I'm also interested in some of Stine's dealings with perps and people in general during his tenure as a sheriff ?
Anyone going to come forward now, with what they may have perceived as unjust or shady dealings ?
Omo.

Stines is a large man, some reports citing his weight in excess of 300#. I've wondered if he started taking diet Rx or the non FDA compounds which may have triggered something unintended. One need not go far to read the negatives of the latest miracle drugs to the stars.

Just the same, I'm also wondering about Judge Mullins and his good deeds with recovery versus jail. Recent reports are that the very same Addition Recover Centers (ARC), a for profit organization frequented by inmates sentenced my Mullins (transportation by Stines) is under Federal Investigation for Insurance fraud.

I'm seeing some familiar names previously reported in this case including the Attorney General and the KY Governor. The founder of ARC, Tim Robinson -- a lawyer and recovered alcoholic who started the company that became ARC in 2010, has emerged as a politically well-connected figure and major political donor.

IMO, it would not be shocking to learn Judge Mullins was receiving kickbacks for sending addicts to ARC verus sentencing then to jail, and justify this as a win-win!

I dunno... perhaps if the most powerful politcos in the state were trying to get to Stines to cover for Mullins (in this federal investigation) by threatening Stines family, perhaps this might cause some bullets to fly Mullins way.

Just speculating after realizing things in KY are not always as what they seem... MOO

According to Stamper, the judge and sheriff were at lunch earlier that day with a group, and at one point, Mullins asked Stines if they needed to meet privately.

Questioning from both sides revealed that while in chambers, Stines asked to see the judge's phone.

Stamper says Stines called his own daughter from Mullins' phone, and her phone "number was on there." Stamper said Stines shot the judge just seconds later.

The detective said they have not yet looked at Stines' daughter's phone, but she has made statements to police about her conversations with Mullins.

He also said that an officer told him Stines made this comment right after the shooting, “They’re trying to kidnap my wife and kid."

Exactly what I heard.
Bbm.
Sorry if this was discussed and I missed it ... but how did Stamper know that Stines called his daughter from Mullin's phone if only Stines and Mullins were in the judges' chambers -- aka a little cramped back closet with a small desk and two folding chairs ?
That was indeed an odd 'chamber' for a judge.
I expected something larger and fancier.
Omo.

Bbm.
Sorry if this was discussed and I missed it ... but how did Stamper know that Stines called his daughter from Mullin's phone if only Stines and Mullins were in the judges' chambers -- aka a little cramped back closet with a small desk and two folding chairs ?
Omo.

it can't even be called an office, much less 'chambers' - it literally looks like a closet that they quickly threw random furniture in temporarily

I know it's a small town but ...

Bbm.
Omo.
This would have been easily confirmed by phone records and phone forensics. IMO, Stamper was a terrible witness and could have made this more clear in his testimony.

The phone call discussion starts at 36:30 of the video. Sheriff calls his daughters phone from his phone and then calls her from the Mullins phone " daughters number was on the phone?"..."that number had been called from the Judge's phone?" answer "Yes" to both

My take on the prelim today was if lead investigator Clayton Stamper, KSP hadn't been so obstinate/evasive -- the hearing would have concluded in 8 minutes! Hearsay is admissible during a prelim and I don't know why the self described lead investigator was refusing to say what he heard from others on the case!

Also, found it interesting that a non-sworn sheriff's office employee (who appeared to me be Stiles secretary) voluntarily gave her phone to police containing texts from Stines about his lunch with Mullins, yet the daughter's phone and/or records is not in police custody. Certainly not because probable cause is lacking, right? Why not exclude her phone instead of acting (or being inactive) only to perpetuate rumors surrounding the case from the beginning!

Unlike most States where there's either a Preliminary Hearing or a Grand Jury but NOT both, Kentucky's tiered court system (i.e., lower or District Court before moving to Circuit Court for Trial) provided for both where the mini Prelim ruled in favor of probable cause to hand the case over to a Grand Jury. Hearing these words today from the District Court Judge versus hearing 'the case bound over for trial' just sounded so strange to me. MOO

ITA... specifically first two paragraphs, and emphasizes my lack of confidence in the KSP to investigate. I know investigations take time but already there is certainly cause for concern.

jmo

ETA: I wish this wasn't my opinion :(

Last edited:
I think there are so many reasons that the daughter & judge could have had each other's phone numbers. Way more innocent reasons than nefarious ones. (Emergency contact, babysitting, school/team sponsorships, families were supposedly friends so even just that, etc.)

I think MS decided something was fishy & let himself stew for awhile until he created something in his mind. It festered & he decided an execution was in order.

I was also kind of astonished to hear that LE had not yet questioned the daughter without a parent (her mom) present.

Imo.
I believe the texts and pictures could possibly be revealing. Having the contact numbers may not be important but what is contained in those posts/texts.

ITA... specifically first two paragraphs, and emphasizes my lack of confidence in the KSP to investigate. I know investigations take time but already there is certainly cause for concern.

jmo

In this case, at least the charges will ultimately be by indictment which will come from a secret grand jury that will include subpoenas and witness testimony so I hope the KSP investigation feels the pressure of citizen eyeballs (jurors) watching. And if they are not satisfied with KSP, that's the benefit of their subpoena power and I hope that they use it. JMO

I’m not really concerned with motives as I don’t think the sheriff, who should be well acquainted with that concept of innocence/guilt, should know that vigilante justice is wrong, thinks he can overcome what he does on that video. I could be wrong but I think it’s over for the sheriff.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrayZee
Back