2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My 84 year-old dad and 79 year-old step-mom are in Lakeland. They live with my step-brother, and are beyond stubborn when it comes to hurricanes/tropical storms. The property is prone to very bad flooding. Neither of them are in good health. I'm really worried about this one. I wish they would evacuate to their friends in Valdosta.

Can you be fairly forceful with them? Like maybe tell them with all capital letters to get out now because you don't want to have to come down there to identify their bodies? If you are worried for their lives then your language can reflect it. jmo

Holy s*it

1:00 PM CDT Mon Oct 7
Moving: E at 9 mph
Min pressure: 911 mb
Max sustained: 175 mph

[td]
MILTON EXPLOSIVELY INTENSIFIES WITH 175-MPH WINDS... ...RESIDENTS IN FLORIDA ARE URGED TO FOLLOW THE ADVICE OF LOCAL OFFICIALS...

[/td]
911 mb low. I think Wilma was 889.

Can you be fairly forceful with them? Like maybe tell them with all capital letters to get out now because you don't want to have to come down there to identify their bodies? If you are worried for their lives then your language can reflect it. jmo

People who don't want to leave their homes, won't go. May as well give them a Sharpie to print their names on their arms for identification. They will do it, defiantly.

People have free will. May as well respect their wishes.

Leilei's parents live with her step-brother so he may be the one to read the riot act to?

People who don't want to leave their homes, won't go. May as well give them a Sharpie to print their names on their arms for identification. They will do it, defiantly.

Respecting ones wishes is one thing but as we've been told again and again these are the residents that put the lives of emergency workers in danger when they have to rescue them because they ignored evacuation orders.

Just got off the phone with them. My step-mom is very worried. Dad is "concerned" but is trying to convince me (or himself) that the storm will weaken quite a bit by the time it gets to them. I'm not convinced of that, but I understand that he doesn't want me to over-worry. He also said that packing up all of their meds and everything is a pain in the behind. I told him that I'd rather have a bit of pain in the behind and safety in Pensacola or Valdosta than being sitting ducks in Lakeland. It's like talking to a wall. They've been through Cat 3s, and he has ridden out storms on aircraft carriers, but I reminded him that he wasn't 84 then. My niece and her husband (they live in S. Tampa not far from the water) were trying to get flights out, but there's nothing, so they may go ride it out in Lakeland, too.
So, I'll continue to watch the reports, and possibly get my sons involved by way of stern phone calls this evening.
Hoping that Dad can tell me "I told you so" in a few days.

Just got off the phone with them. My step-mom is very worried. Dad is "concerned" but is trying to convince me (or himself) that the storm will weaken quite a bit by the time it gets to them. I'm not convinced of that, but I understand that he doesn't want me to over-worry. He also said that packing up all of their meds and everything is a pain in the behind. I told him that I'd rather have a bit of pain in the behind and safety in Pensacola or Valdosta than being sitting ducks in Lakeland. It's like talking to a wall. They've been through Cat 3s, and he has ridden out storms on aircraft carriers, but I reminded him that he wasn't 84 then. My niece and her husband (they live in S. Tampa not far from the water) were trying to get flights out, but there's nothing, so they may go ride it out in Lakeland, too.
So, I'll continue to watch the reports, and possibly get my sons involved by way of stern phone calls this evening.
Hoping that Dad can tell me "I told you so" in a few days.
I just texted my buddy who lives in Lakeland to come down here.

Except that police, firefighters, and EMS will be endangering themselves to attempt rescue :(

Rsbm.

No, not everyone has contents insurance.

Even so, lives are worth more than the contents of their homes.

I worry about people who are too elderly, disabled to evacuate. And people who just don't have any extended resources.
Resources are available.

For people who need help evacuating ahead of Hurricane Milton — whose storm surge could be even worse than Helene’s — there are resources available:

• Pinellas County: Pinellas residents who need oxygen, require assistance with care and medications, depend on electricity, need transportation, require mobility assistance or have similar challenges are eligible for its special needs evacuation resources. To register for help, residents can call the County Information Center at (727) 464-4333. For more information, visit Special Needs - Pinellas County
  • Hillsborough County: Special needs residents can call 833-427-8676 for transportation to shelter. Residents headed to a general population shelter can take a HART bus and fares are waived. A spokesperson encouraged residents to hop on the closest HART bus to their home, which will be taken to a transport center and then bused to a shelter. HART will be suspending all buses at 11 a.m. Tuesday.
  • Pasco County: Special needs residents requiring a ride can call the county at: 727-847-2411. The Fasano Regional Hurricane Shelter is open and dedicated to people with special needs

Some people of all ages might need help evacuating, too, because they lack transportation or the financial means to book a hotel room.

I'm looking for the post from the 88 year old who had gone through Andrew, owned properties on the west coast of FL. and was wondering about their property in Murphy NC. Their property should be be fine. Murphy wasn't affected by Helene as far as I know. I'm just outside Asheville in Brevard helping family here and now freaking about family scattered all over FL. If you can find the post for me please tell them Murphy is safe to go too! Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katelyn26
Back