2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

OMG my twenty year old grandson is in St. Lucia, Fl staged in a building at the fairgrounds. He works with a company that clears out trees and helps get the power on. He sent a video of a huge tornado that traveled across the interstate right in front of his truck. He has been gone since Helene hit. He is from Wilmington, NC. He has worked 18 hrs a day since Helene.
I'll add an OMG too.
On one hand you have to be so proud of him and the much needed work he and his buddies are doing for people when tragedy hits yet being a G'ma the anxiety level has to be over the top.
Just keep sending love and thoughts of safety and protection.

At least 19 tornadoes touched down in Florida ahead of Hurricane Milton's arrival

At least 19 tornadoes have touched down in Florida as the outer bands of Hurricane Milton lashed the state, Gov. Ron DeSantis said in a press briefing Wednesday night.

DeSantis reported that "numerous counties have reported tornado damage." According to NBC affiliate WBBH-TV, officials in St. Lucie County said there were "multiple fatalities" associated with the tornadoes.

There were a total of 116 tornado warnings issued across the state as the storm approached.

What nightmare !

Did you stay put or evacuate?
Stay smart and safe..you and yours.
I left Monday after I finished my cancer appointments in Tampa. I didn't want to go all the way home to Sarasota, try to sleep and then leave the next morning. So I left at 5:30pm and arrived in Panama City Beach, FL (my daughter's place) about 3:00am EST, 2:00am CST.

And now flash floods. They can't get a break.

Flash flood emergency issued for Tampa

From CNN Meteorologist Taylor Ward
A flash flood emergency, the highest level of flood warning, has been issued for Tampa, according to the National Weather Service. This is an upgrade of the previously issued considerable flood threat.

“Between 10 and 14 inches of rain have fallen. Flash flooding is already occurring,” the NWS said. “This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER GROUND NOW!”

I left Monday after I finished my cancer appointments in Tampa. I didn't want to go all the way home to Sarasota, try to sleep and then leave the next morning. So I left at 5:30pm and arrived in Panama City Beach, FL (my daughter's place) about 3:00am EST, 2:00am CST.
Glad to hear your are safe @PayrollNerd . Take care of yourself!

He reminds me of Harry Truman, the man who refused to evacuate before the Mount St. Helens volcanic eruption in Washington. I remember the many tv interviews with him, and he became somewhat of a legend.

Wow!
What a read, man and legend.
A bookmark must for future reading in quieter times.
Thank you, I had never heard of Harry.

yikes 10 hr drive. exhausting....hope that your house makes it through OK.

Thank you and great news.
I'm glad you're with family.

Ugh- that’s a long haul, glad you had panhandle folks to stay with- and I’m sure your daughter is thankful you’re not in the direct path - had to evacuate some family to Tallahassee, and others to shelters just inland to Tarpon Springs - others would not evacuate- on both coasts - so waiting until morning to see what happens - praying that your home is safe in Sarasota area

90659533-13942629-image-a-31_1728497982132.jpg

'A motorist drives past broken utility poles downed by strong wind gusts as Hurricane Milton approaches Fort Myers, Florida'

Highlands county here. This storm is no joke. Tornados ripped through early. The wind sounds insane. My heart hurts for the west coast of Florida right now.
All of the early talk was about the potential storm surge, but it sounds like the biggest issues so far are the tornadoes and emerging flash floods from the massive rainfall.

I just heard that 1.6m people in Florida are without power right now and we know that that will only increase.

Stay safe @PromotedPawn!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back