3-28-19 SWAT team with guns drawn raids Arizona home for toddler w/fever

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Nope, Insurance can not deny coverage for unvaccinated children. We are still under the laws of Affordable Care Act and no preexisting conditions still apply. They were not married, so maybe he could not cover under his employers plan, but Mom and the kids could of applied for Medicaid or ACA insurance. Mom is very pregnant, so it would be cheaper than private pay.
A hospital E.R. is required by federal law to provide care to all who enter whether or not they have insurance. The hospital must admit any unstable patient who comes thru the E.R. The fact that the father was more concerned with costs rather than the welfare of his children tells me all I need to know about his ability to parent.

They were denying necessary medical care even at home with the children vomiting all over themselves and their beds. Bravo! to the doc and LE for handling it the way they did.

JMO

A hospital E.R. is required by federal law to provide care to all who enter whether or not they have insurance. The hospital must admit any unstable patient who comes thru the E.R. The fact that the father was more concerned with costs rather than the welfare of his children tells me all I need to know about his ability to parent.

They were denying necessary medical care even at home with the children vomiting all over themselves and their beds. Bravo! to the doc and LE for handling it the way they did.

JMO

Totally agree!!! But if money was the only issue, why not let DSS and LE check the child? Surely, when they said they were returning with a warrant, they would realize ....hey, this might get expensive, warrant, attorneys, etc.
I think there was,more....

Didn't mean to imply preexisting and anti vaccination were the same, just trying to demonstrate the safe guards were have for insurabilty.

It is becoming more difficult for those who do not vaccinate due to liability with medical professionals, school and public venues.

We have a group in our community who do not vaccinate and I respect their decisions. When I grew up we didn't have all the vaccines we do today, I had red measles, chicken pox and whopping cough. I survived but, I remember being really sick.

Two years ago, we had a whopping cough outbreak that hospitalized several infants. Several mothers made the decision to seek the vaccine.

Given the facts, 105 temp, other symptoms, refusal to follow instructions to seek medical treatment, refusing to answer door for police and SWAT... I don't think this was about the vaccine. IMHO...

Me either.

Totally agree!!! But if money was the only issue, why not let DSS and LE check the child? Surely, when they said they were returning with a warrant, they would realize ....hey, this might get expensive, warrant, attorneys, etc.
I think there was,more....
Of course there is more. Money is the tip of the iceberg. Because of the way the parents handled this there will be a much deeper probe. Money isn't the only issue but he did make it a priority over his child's welfare.

His attorney who questioned why the doctor didn't place the child in an ice bath is also real moron who shouldn't be around children.

JMO

Of course there is more. Money is the tip of the iceberg. Because of the way the parents handled this there will be a much deeper probe. Money isn't the only issue but he did make it a priority over his child's welfare.

His attorney who questioned why the doctor didn't place the child in an ice bath is also real moron who shouldn't be around children.

JMO
He may have been referring to the use of ice packs but he was probably just trying to bring up the point that the doctor may not have done anything to bring down the fever before they left the clinic.

He is supposedly a highly rated attorney. Their law firm was in the media when they represented the pregnant man in a divorce case.

Court: 'Pregnant Man' can get a divorce

Arizona Court of Appeals Recognizes Transgender Marriage

Last edited:
He may have been referring to the use of ice packs but he was probably just trying to bring up the point that the doctor may not have done anything to bring down the fever before they left the clinic.

He is supposedly a highly rated attorney. Their law firm was in the media when they represented the pregnant man in a divorce case.

Court: 'Pregnant Man' can get a divorce

Arizona Court of Appeals Recognizes Transgender Marriage

A fever is a symptom, not a diagnosis. The doctor wanted to find the underlying cause of the fever. My own son was admitted to a hospital for RSV many years ago. He was there a week and was never immersed in an ice bath, which sounds barbaric.

An attorney isn't qualified to make a medical diagnosis or to second-guess a doctor who directed the parent to take the child to a center for diagnosis and treatment.

Spouting off nonsense to the news media isn't going to help his clients get their children returned to them.

JMO

A fever is a symptom, not a diagnosis. The doctor wanted to find the underlying cause of the fever. My own son was admitted to a hospital for RSV many years ago. He was there a week and was never immersed in an ice bath, which sounds barbaric.

An attorney isn't qualified to make a medical diagnosis or to second-guess a doctor who directed the parent to take the child to a center for diagnosis and treatment.

Spouting off nonsense to the news media isn't going to help his clients get their children returned to them.

JMO

He has experience working with DCS.

He may do better in court than in the media.

Top Rated Phoenix, AZ Family Law Attorney | Nicholas Boca | Super Lawyers

In 2013, Mr. Boca earned his Juris Doctor upon graduating from the University of San Diego School of Law. He then began work at the Arizona Attorney General’s Office as an assistant attorney general. During this time, he handled several hundred juvenile mediations and court hearings as he worked with the Department of Child Safety.

Arizona Business Magazine selected Mr. Boca as one of 2019’s Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona. For his high ethical standards and long list of successful results, he holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell.

Last edited:

In 2013, Mr. Boca earned his Juris Doctor upon graduating from the University of San Diego School of Law. He then began work at the Arizona Attorney General’s Office as an assistant attorney general. During this time, he handled several hundred juvenile mediations and court hearings as he worked with the Department of Child Safety.

Arizona Business Magazine selected Mr. Boca as one of 2019’s Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona. For his high ethical standards and long list of successful results, he holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell.

I truly don't care about Mr. Boca's resume or what his peers think of him.

The welfare of the children and acting in their best interest is up to the Judge to determine.

JMO

How impressive, however this does not qualify him to make any medical assessment or treatment recommendations.
Dad still wants hearing public. Why would he want all this on the internet for the kids to see when they are older????

How impressive, however this does not qualify him to make any medical assessment or treatment recommendations.
Dad still wants hearing public. Why would he want all this on the internet for the kids to see when they are older????

Someone mentioned that he sounded like a moron, in the media, so, in fairness, just brought up the possibility that he could still do a good job for his client.

Doctors would not need malpractice insurance if attorneys could not question their assessments or treatment recommendations.

Someone mentioned that he sounded like a moron, in the media, so, in fairness, just brought up the possibility that he could still do a good job for his client.

Doctors would not need malpractice insurance if attorneys could not question their assessments or treatment recommendations.
An attorney who pretends to be a medical expert can also be sued for malpractice.

JMO

They needed 2500 bucks to go to the ER?

I have never heard of that high a charge for a sick child check up

Why go to the ER though. Aren’t there any clinics or urgent cares ?
Maybe they went to a private hospital -- it could be that the $2500 was a "deposit" against future charges.

Here is some info on this:

The Pros and Cons of Public vs. Private Hospitals

For all intents and purposes, there are two main types of hospitals: public hospitals and private hospitals. The former tend to be much larger than the latter, so they are also called "big hospitals." Private hospitals, on the other hand, tend to be a lot smaller.

Public hospitals are funded by local, state and federal funds. As a result, they cannot turn anyone away. Even if someone who is entirely penniless comes in, the hospital must treat him or her. Because they are privately owned, private hospitals have the right to refuse treatment. By law, however, they must stabilize anyone who is in an emergency situation and may then send him or her to a public hospital.

The Pros and Cons of Public vs. Private Hospitals

Good to see you, borndem! :cool:

ER has to stabilize anyone who shows up. Pricey care, pricey.

Not all hospitals have ER.

Not sure we'll ever see the whole picture here....

Lemme rephrase that -- pretty sure we won't ever see the whole picture here!

:D
Good to see you, borndem! :cool:

ER has to stabilize anyone who shows up. Pricey care, pricey.

Not all hospitals have ER.

Not sure we'll ever see the whole picture here....

Lemme rephrase that -- pretty sure we won't ever see the whole picture here!
Agreed -- I still wonder if the $2500 business was misunderstood. And agreed again, as the article I posted about private vs. public hospitals -- the private hospital is supposed to stabilize the patient and then they can arrange for transport to a city or county hospital that will take all comers.
But yes, there's a lot here that we will probably never know.

And good to see you, too, Laughing!! :D

To be fair, if I felt a government agency was corrupt and seeking to take my kids without cause I would absolutely want the proceedings public.

I ageee with the article. We have public trials when children are victims of sexual assault. But if the state is trying to take one's kids away or if parents have been accused of abuse or neglect suddenly the public shouldn't have a right to know?

It's easy to use initials to afford privacy for the kids involved. But I do not think we should allow government agencies to hide behind supposed privacy protocols in order to avoid public scrutiny and oversight.

CPS wields a lot of power and I think they use privacy in order to avoid accountability at times. Usually when they've failed to protect a child.

To be fair, if I felt a government agency was corrupt and seeking to take my kids without cause I would absolutely want the proceedings public.

I agree, that the court needs to be accountable. My first priority would be to fully cooperate and regain custody of my children. Then, I would use the legal process and the media to expose any corruption.

Some folks just don't understand, cooperating with LE, medical professionals and the court, is in their best interests. With a little cooperation from the family, we wouldn't be here today. JMO

I have many friends and acquaintances in LE, are Judges (J&D), lawyers, DDS workers, teachers, foster parents and plain good folks that care about the best interest of children. We all want children to be safe and taken care of. If the parents would direct their focus on their children and not the media, anti vaccination lawyers and state representative then, they could all go home and live in peace.

I worked in healthcare 45 years, I've reported sexual abuse, but mostly abuse of sick adults. I'm looking at this from the kids side, sick, high fever, throwing up and then lying in it, and they are 6, 4, and 2 years old.

OMG, when my grandkids are sick, we move heaven and earth for the best healthcare and every comfort measure available, any food they could eat, cool baths, CLEAN sheets, we read or entertain them, ANYTHING to make them more comfortable. That is how my parents were, and how my husband and I were and now my daughter follows the same pattern with the grandkids.

JMO, I feel these kids are getting extra special care in a good foster home. This is such a high profile case, they have, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back