3 Weeks Later, Why No Community Outcry?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it's a tightrope that LE has to walk. They need to keep some things close to their chest but they also need to reassure the public that they are doing everything to 1) find Kryon 2) find the person who took him (if he was indeed taken) but also 3) assure the public that,while they aren't giving out the details, they do have leads and 4) make sure that this case doesn't fall off everyone's radar screens.

I wonder if they don't care if #4 occurs anymore because they have such a good idea of who took Kyron but they don't know where he is. Because they aren't focusing on #4/making sure that this case doesn't fall off everyone's radar screens that #3/assuring the public is also not a main focus anymore. They know that the general public is safe, but they can't tell them why because if they do, they jeopardize the entire case.

I think they need to get back to #3 a bit more. They need to give something out that to the general public that assures them that they are getting closer to solving this or that they are onto something. Right now, they have given nothing out which could also lead one to think that they no absolutely nothing at all.

And here is a question for the parents out there. If this happened in your community, and school were to start in the fall and you knew as much as you know right now about missing Kyron (no arrests, no additional information coming from LE), would you send your kid off to school?

NO WAY! I would home school her.

I feel your frustrations. If this happened at my son's school I would be very wary of allowing him to go back if I could allow him to go back at all. It would feel like I might be delivering him to such a situation. I am one of those mother's that is fully involved w/ her kids.

Actually, I just got back from taking our turtles to school for show and tell and teaching the kids what our turtles eat, how they live, etc. I have taken puppies and Sea Monkeys to the school for the same purpose; and, I have just purchased a butterfly garden and caterpillars for the kids in my son's class to watch grow and change, next we are looking for tadpoles. I often go in to help do projects w/ the kids too.

With all that said, I am very involved w/ my kids including school. I know everyone at the very small developmental day school my son attends (he is autistic) ... not all of the parents though. Of course, this school has cameras on every inch of the school that I can also go in and view. I would love to see all schools equipped w/ cameras and safety measures. It sure isn't the world I grew up in anymore!

I feel that my son is very safe at his school. I know a lot of the teachers and staff have a soft spot for my son too. I guess all that makes me very comfortable as to his safety. All kids and parents deserve to have that same amount of security.

I will say that Kyron's case has scared me. School is one place our kids should be safe! Not only did this person get Kyron, this person has also rocked the security of all of the kids in that school. There is no doubt those kids are worried and scared that it could happen to them as well.

I, for one, will not let Kyron's case fall to the side. I will always keep his smile in my mind and always pray he is safe and home soon!!
Thank you, Day Dreamer! I'm a working mom so I'm not able to volunteer in the classroom as much as I would if I were a SAHM but I'm really active in other areas with the school, so much so that even though my son is only a rising 2nd grader, I've turned down offers twice to run for PTA president. Schools, to me, are supposed to be safe places for children. We've already lost sidewalks, parks, malls and walking in the woods as places that kids can't be by themselves, do we now have to add schools to the list? Do we know raise an entire generation of children who never see the sun, get to go on exploratory adventures in the woods and now, have cameras trained on their every move (but that is for another post...)?

My son's school is outside an area much larger than Portland and it does not have cameras. And I don't know what cameras would have done in this instance so I haven't gotten on the cameras bandwagon. I guess they would give an idea of if Kyron left the school by himself or with someone else, but they wouldn't tell us where he is now.

I'm local. I feel criticized by the OP comments because we're not doing it his/her way.

What do you expect 'the community' to do? Did it occur to you that there might be information that 'the community' has that you do not?
I do not have a feeling that my locals have dropped the ball on this case. I believe it is being actively worked every day. I would love resolution as much as anyone would, but I understand that some jobs take longer than others.
I'd rather have them get it right than get it fast.

I am not outraged with LE. I feel like this was specific to the family involved and that's why there is no immediate danger to other people's children.

Kyron's biological parents were on the Today show this morning which goes nationally.

I have read that some locals posted that they were asked not to repeat or discuss anything about the case.

All I can say is I hope they know what they are doing!

I have also heard that all the parents that were interviewed were specifically asked not to talk to reporters. I'm not a parent at that school (I'm about 10 miles away) but if an investigator asked me not to say anything, I would definitely listen. I would hate to be the one to mess up their chances of solving the case or bringing this person to justice. I guess I'm still not getting what "outrage" you expect to see. There are plenty of messages on all the news sites that are asking questions, doubting the invesigators, commenting on Sam Adams, blaming the school etc, etc....

Thank you, Day Dreamer! I'm a working mom so I'm not able to volunteer in the classroom as much as I would if I were a SAHM but I'm really active in other areas with the school, so much so that even though my son is only a rising 2nd grader, I've turned down offers twice to run for PTA president. Schools, to me, are supposed to be safe places for children. We've already lost sidewalks, parks, malls and walking in the woods as places that kids can't be by themselves, do we now have to add schools to the list? Do we know raise an entire generation of children who never see the sun, get to go on exploratory adventures in the woods and now, have cameras trained on their every move (but that is for another post...)?

My son's school is outside an area much larger than Portland and it does not have cameras. And I don't know what cameras would have done in this instance so I haven't gotten on the cameras bandwagon. I guess they would give an idea of if Kyron left the school by himself or with someone else, but they wouldn't tell us where he is now.

I have been very blessed to be able to stay home w/ my son and work part time from home. Things have been tight; but, w/ my son being autistic, I felt he needed me more. As parents, we all do as much as we can. I mainly wanted to point out that, even though I am very active in my son's school, I still do not know all of the parents. Not even close!

If Skyline had cameras perhaps we might know who is responsible for Kyron's disappearance (if he did indeed disappear from school). Although, living our lives w/ our every move captured on video tape may make us safe, it also strips away our privacy. :(

My Daughter is 12 and we had two attempted abductions in less than 2 miles from our home. Her school called to inform us. I called every day to ask if they had any new information. They would only say they are working with the sheriff's department. I continued to call and I found out that the attempted abductions involved two different children and two different perpetrators. This was a span of about two to three weeks. The school called every day with automated messages to inform us on the ongoing investigation. No one was every found or charged. My point is that the sheriff's department told the school what to say. I found out all the details from my little gas station up the road that we call the cop shop.They all come in and get coffee.
But they/the school, did let you know? Did they give an ID of the person(s)? That is very scary!

And trust me, I know we can't wrap our children up in little protective bubbles until they turn 18 and we unwrap them from the protective cocoon we have placed them and tell them to fly away. But, we do owe it to them to pay attention to these cases of children being abducted so that we can learn from them. What I have learned is that all the rules that we applied to stranger danger, I have now applied to the school. My son and I have done role playing where I am the stranger who approaches him in the hallway, in the school bathroom, on the playground, near a doorway, etc. and we have discussed what to do. He knows that he should never leave the school with anyone and we've practiced him yelling "this is not my dad/mom. My name is X X, help me. Call the police. This is not my dad. Help! Help!" and I have told him it's okay to kick, punch, scream, fight, and bite and told him where to kick or punch that might be most effective. It sucks and I hate doing it.

But they/the school, did let you know? Did they give an ID of the person(s)? That is very scary!
Yes Very Scary! Worse even that they did not catch the people!!

And trust me, I know we can't wrap our children up in little protective bubbles until they turn 18 and we unwrap them from the protective cocoon we have placed them and tell them to fly away.

BBM. It is a very tempting idea though isn't it?:innocent:

But, we do owe it to them to pay attention to these cases of children being abducted so that we can learn from them. What I have learned is that all the rules that we applied to stranger danger, I have now applied to the school. My son and I have done role playing where I am the stranger who approaches him in the hallway, in the school bathroom, on the playground, near a doorway, etc. and we have discussed what to do. He knows that he should never leave the school with anyone and we've practiced him yelling "this is not my dad/mom. My name is X X, help me. Call the police. This is not my dad. Help! Help!" and I have told him it's okay to kick, punch, scream, fight, and bite and told him where to kick or punch that might be most effective. It sucks and I hate doing it.

Great job at teaching your child what to do. Every parent needs to do that no matter where they live! I always worry excessively over my 4 year old. With his autism he doesn't really understand the danger ... he has never met a stranger. He actually will grab people as they walk by him to force them to speak to him! LOL It is cute; but, it is also scary!

I will say it again, that I really think the fact that school is not in session has a lot to do with parents seemingly not freaking out right now. When this happened, school was nearly out and most parents probably figured that Kyron would be found very soon, as did many of us. And now, for the next 2 months or so, the school is not a factor in their daily lives, so they can turn their attentions to their summer plans.

I would, however, want to feel assured that my daycare arrangements were safe, i.e. that LE was extremely confident that no other children are in danger and I am at a loss as to how they can feel so sure of this. LE simply stating that might not be enough for me if I had cihldren and lived in the area. But I am also at at loss as to what would comfort me, other than an arrest, so LE is in a tight spot here.

And trust me, I know we can't wrap our children up in little protective bubbles until they turn 18 and we unwrap them from the protective cocoon we have placed them and tell them to fly away. But, we do owe it to them to pay attention to these cases of children being abducted so that we can learn from them. What I have learned is that all the rules that we applied to stranger danger, I have now applied to the school. My son and I have done role playing where I am the stranger who approaches him in the hallway, in the school bathroom, on the playground, near a doorway, etc. and we have discussed what to do. He knows that he should never leave the school with anyone and we've practiced him yelling "this is not my dad/mom. My name is X X, help me. Call the police. This is not my dad. Help! Help!" and I have told him it's okay to kick, punch, scream, fight, and bite and told him where to kick or punch that might be most effective. It sucks and I hate doing it.

Yes.The school gave a bit of info and all the rest I got myself from the cop shop(store down the road) I told them I'm a single Mom raising my daughter and I need to know so I can sleep at night.Inside info is how I found out. I do the same thing with my daughter including fast forward when she is an adult always check the back seat when you get in your car and if you ever are taken never go second location. If you have to crash into a tree or other cars.Thank God she is okay with me informing her that she should be prepared to die before a stranger takes her to a second location. It sucks so bad to have to talk about the truth of what can happen but it's very important.I have restrained myself from teaching her how to hold a gun or shoot one. Hmm...her birthday is coming up maybe I can start out with pepper spray? I kidd...sort of.

I would be outraged because it's been 3 weeks. That's an incredibly long time for a 7 year old to be missing. And how do I, as Jane Q Public, know that they are doing their jobs? Maybe they are completely screwing this case up, focused on the SM when it wasn't her at all, and they don't have any idea what happened to Kyron at all. And here I would be as another parent of a little blonde haired 7 year old boy wondering if my kid was going to be next to disappear in a place filled with other children, parents and adults and where I always imagined him to be safe when I wasn't there with him.

I'm not at all saying that LE on this investigation is screwing up this case at all. What I am saying is that I am really surprised that no one in the community, where you have the potential for 600 parents to do so, has said anything like what I just wrote.

Maybe it's the east coast/west coast difference, but I can tell you, here, people would be putting some LE's feet to the proverbial fire right about now. If it went on for a month, you would start seeing detectives getting pulled from the case and a new lead investigator. Perhaps we are are more impatient lot. It's also hot here and we get cranky when it gets above 100. :)

You make a lot of sense. Almost every case that's been brought to a conclusion has had public input, not a public blackout. Conversely, the cases that are "held close to the vest" seem to drag on, getting colder and colder, probably along with the body.

If I lived there and LE told/asked me not to discuss this case, they'd darned sure be giving me a good reason why or I'd be on every talk show from Oregon to Miami Beach and everything in between.

There is, however, one exception - I tend to believe they have a poi, the sm, and/or other relative, but don't have enough evidence for an arrest. If this turns out NOT to be the case, I hope the community takes a good look at the possible danger other children were subjected to by the LE assurances and take appropriate action.

My opinion only

I'm local. I feel criticized by the OP comments because we're not doing it his/her way.

What do you expect 'the community' to do? Did it occur to you that there might be information that 'the community' has that you do not?
I do not have a feeling that my locals have dropped the ball on this case. I believe it is being actively worked every day. I would love resolution as much as anyone would, but I understand that some jobs take longer than others.

I am not outraged with LE. I feel like this was specific to the family involved and that's why there is no immediate danger to other people's children.
I'm sorry that I made you feel criticized. I'm just giving you my perspective as an outsider, looking in, and who feels very certain that if they don't start giving out some additional information very soon, no one outside of Portland is going to be paying attention to this case anymore. I know that sounds harsh but the reality is, if you are booker for the Today show and you've got lots of potential stories to cover, if it's the same parents coming forward without additional information, they aren't going to be booking you for the show.

Maybe you guys do have more information in the community than we do but, I am very surprised that a little boy went missing from a school and more people aren't going to the media and saying that they are scared for the safety of their own children. It's been 3 weeks and, unless you guys know more, there hasn't been one additional shred of information given out that would lead anyone to think that it was a family member and there is no immediate danger to other children. The investigators haven't verified that, so to me, it would seem like there is a potential danger and if I lived there, I would be wanting some answers to that very question. I'm not saying "do it my way". I'm saying, if I lived there, I would want some answers by now and I would be going to the media to say it.

Topic Why no public outcry?

Rules regarding OT posts.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106886"]Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Off-Topic” Posts:

OTPs are posts that do not relate to the original post/topic, or are placed in the wrong category. While we realize threads often expand into different topics, we encourage members to do their best to stick with the original topic, or start another thread. Off-Topic posts are subject to editing or removal at administrative discretion, and without notification. Members that continuously post off topic may have their posting privileges suspended.

Great job at teaching your child what to do. Every parent needs to do that no matter where they live! I always worry excessively over my 4 year old. With his autism he doesn't really understand the danger ... he has never met a stranger. He actually will grab people as they walk by him to force them to speak to him! LOL It is cute; but, it is also scary!
Oh my goodness, that is so sweet but so scary at the same time.

Not to go wildly off topic, but we have a very good friend of the family who I grew up with who has Williams syndrome, and he has never met a stranger in his life. Ever. Everyone is his friend. While that means it's fun to go out with him (he's now 40) because he knows everyone everywhere, it's always been worrisome to his mom and dad because he just doesn't even understand the idea that you can't trust someone.

I agree with the original poster. It's almost like LE is shielding the school, while throwing Terri under the bus. Intimating that neither Kyran nor Terri was at school that day, while telling students and parents not to talk to the press. Meanwhile, at least one of those students, and two faculty, had clearly already told LE they saw them! If it wasn't for Kyran's friend going public, no one would even have a clue the school may bear some blame. I think that's why the grandma agreed to the interview.

her birthday is coming up maybe I can start out with pepper spray? I kidd...sort of.

*respectfully snipped & BBM

I think getting your daughter pepper spray is an excellent idea. When I was a teen I had a best friend that was more like a big brother and very protective. As soon as I got my first car he bought me my first can of pepper spray to go on my key chain. It never hurts to be prepared, especially young women!

I have also heard that all the parents that were interviewed were specifically asked not to talk to reporters. I'm not a parent at that school (I'm about 10 miles away) but if an investigator asked me not to say anything, I would definitely listen. I would hate to be the one to mess up their chances of solving the case or bringing this person to justice. I guess I'm still not getting what "outrage" you expect to see. There are plenty of messages on all the news sites that are asking questions, doubting the invesigators, commenting on Sam Adams, blaming the school etc, etc....
I guess what I'm saying is that after 3 weeks, where is seems that LE is hinting that it wasn't a case of a stranger abduction, that the community would know more now? That Kyron would be back?

No, I just just want a someone arrested, I want the SM arrested, if it is indeed her. They have put enough out there to make me think that they think it is her and if it it is not, they need to start sharing some other information that says that it isn't her and some other leads that they might have. Because right now, with no other information coming from LE, all signs point to her and there are not compelling anyone to search for or think of other possibilities.

Basically, I hope like hell they know what they are doing so that they find Kyron and I hope like hell for all the other little kids in Portland that they've got this one figured out and didn't let a serial child abductor escape to potentially strike again. It's a lot of faith, and that's a hard thing to hold onto after 3 weeks.

I live right over the bridge in Wa. 15 minutes to portland airport. It has been very frustrating because LE states it is an isolated incident, but no POI. Just not sure they even have a clue. I guess we as parents have to be careful no matter what. So many thoughts go thru my mind, one minute I am pissed that LE would say the public is not entitled to any information. The next minute, I am hoping they are doing this because they do have their eye on someone and do not want to make any mistakes. I feel they do have someone they have their eye on. With what we do know from the PC and statements from LE, I would be keeping my eye on that person as well.

I will say it again, that I really think the fact that school is not in session has a lot to do with parents seemingly not freaking out right now. When this happened, school was nearly out and most parents probably figured that Kyron would be found very soon, as did many of us. And now, for the next 2 months or so, the school is not a factor in their daily lives, so they can turn their attentions to their summer plans.

I would, however, want to feel assured that my daycare arrangements were safe, i.e. that LE was extremely confident that no other children are in danger and I am at a loss as to how they can feel so sure of this. LE simply stating that might not be enough for me if I had cihldren and lived in the area. But I am also at at loss as to what would comfort me, other than an arrest, so LE is in a tight spot here.
Cluciano63, that is my suspicion as well. They don't have to take their kids to that school everyday and drop them off and leave them there for 6 hours and wonder if they will come back home on a school bus or come out the front door. If LE is indeed telling the parents to not talk to the media, I wonder how long people will go along with it? Unless there is also something else that they have told those parents that they haven't shared with the rest of the public, I'm curious to how long before a person "goes off message" (as we PR people like to say) and starts talking to reporters on her own?

BBM

I also felt that OP was being highly critical and is bashing locals and LE. I am surprised this thread hasn't been locked. It's easy to sit on the outside and criticize when you don't really know what's going on and are just purely speculating.

You make a lot of sense. Almost every case that's been brought to a conclusion has had public input, not a public blackout. Conversely, the cases that are "held close to the vest" seem to drag on, getting colder and colder, probably along with the body.

If I lived there and LE told/asked me not to discuss this case, they'd darned sure be giving me a good reason why or I'd be on every talk show from Oregon to Miami Beach and everything in between.

There is, however, one exception - I tend to believe they have a poi, the sm, and/or other relative, but don't have enough evidence for an arrest. If this turns out NOT to be the case, I hope the community takes a good look at the possible danger other children were subjected to by the LE assurances and take appropriate action.

My opinion only
Trident, thanks for saying this. This is why that I am holding out hope that it is the SM/family member and the focus right now is on trying to find Kyron, even if they know it is her. But, they haven't said it and they are going to get to a point where they have to give out something or else, it'll backfire and people will start to panic, go to the media, etc. And I just wonder how long before the general public does start doing that? How long do you trust LE and that they are going to solve this and bring this boy home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme