30th Anniversary of the "Revolutionary Suicide" at Jonestown

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There have been statements that Jim Jones abused marijuana, speed, LSD, and other various drugs. His autopsy confirmed that he had elephant-like quantities of barbiturates in his system at his time of death.

That would certainly help explain a thing or two - Thank You for that info!

Hi there, Lady! I was referring though to the drug(s) that he was addicted to that added to his erratic and paranoid behavior prior to his mass murders.

Duh!!! LOL! One of my "moments"... LOL!

There have been statements that Jim Jones abused marijuana, speed, LSD, and other various drugs. His autopsy confirmed that he had elephant-like quantities of barbiturates in his system at his time of death.
I heard somebody who survived say that Jones was really "loaded" at the end, and it could be seen on the last video of him.

It's very sad that so many perished but especially for the children who couldn't make any choices for themselves, Rep. Leo Ryan and those who travelled to Guyana with him. :rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:

Yeah its obvious when you listen to that last tape that he's gacked out of his skull.
From what Ive read he was on that late '70's rollercoaster alot of people got stuck on:snort Coke and stay awake jabbering and running full tilt for days on end(Hence,the 'sermons' that went on till 400am.Nothing as cool as the sound of your own voice! )then switch to Seconal or some other bad news downer guarenteed to bring on severe mood swings and paranoia.
Few months of that would make anyone about as predictable as a Chinese Earthquake.
Throw in meglomania, a borderline personality,and a few thousand folks who would rather obey your every whim out of fear or devotion then think for themselves and youve got the makings of a world class disaster.
Of course Im sure many of those folks did start to see the light after they got to Guyana but by then it was much too late.

I listened to the last tape yesterday. I had to turn it off when I started hearing babies coughing and gagging. I haven't cried like that for a long time. I can't imagine the horror those children must have felt. They never had a choice. May they rest in peace.

Remains of nine victims who died in the Jonestown, Guyana mass deaths 36 years ago, have just been discovered at the Minus funeral home in Dover, Delaware.

'The division last week responded to a request to check the former funeral home after 38 containers of remains were discovered inside. Thirty-three containers were marked and identified.'

Authorities discovered that nine sets of cremated remains belonged to the Jonestown victims. They have not been named.

Although it doesn't totally explain how these cremated remains have been left for so long, the 911 victims in Guyana were orginally flown into Dover Airforce base. I hope they can be named, and the remains reunited with relatives, who may think they are still missing.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article1165210.html

Could it be the families just gave up on those people or they were runaways who joined the cult?

The majority of the people who followed Jones out to Guyana, were poor/working class blacks. Often extended families (ie, Grandparents/parents/kids) I think it may be the case these were people whose nearest relatives died with them, and others were too poor or unempowered to find and claim the remains, and bring them home?

No reflection on the victims or families. The whole Jonestown situation wasn't handled well by authorities, imo. Just under a thousand deaths prove that, to me. Mothers fed their children poison Koolaid at the point of a gun, watched them die in agony, then drank it themselves. The congressman who went to try and help, was shot. It was just a catastrophe of the highest magnitude.

I really, really want to know if families think those victims have been missing all these years. If anyone sleuths anything about missing people from Jonestown, or Jim Jones' church in CA, please post. (Think his church was in CA before he fled. Will have to check).

It was CA. I kept thinking of Redwood trees, and it was Ukiah, Redwood Valley. Wish my memory would go direct, instead of taking the scenic route.

'In 1966, Jones moved the Peoples Temple to Redwood Valley, a small town just north of Ukiah in Northern California.'

http://history1900s.about.com/od/people/p/jimjones.htm

So sad that 36 years later remains from JJ's cult are there, unclaimed so to speak.
JJ was an evil man.

He was evil and charismatic too. Here is his death tape, where he persuades those people to drink the Koolaid.

That shows his charisma.

The guns that the couple of survivors testified to, demonstrates his evil. He talks of seniors and 'our children.' How they will 'be butchered' by 'them.'

Warning - the tape is traumatic. You can hear the babies. :(

'On November 18, 1978, over 900 members of the People’s Temple Agricultural Project committed suicide by ingesting Kool-Aid poisoned with cyanide. Before the mass suicide, cult leader Jim Jones addressed his followers. The recording below, known as FBI File No. Q042, captures Jones’s speech and the final moments of hundreds of people who took their own lives and the lives of their children at the Jonestown settlement in Guyana.'

http://www.crimelibrary.com/blog/article/listen-the-jonestown-death-tape/index.html

Thank heavens.

'The state Division of Forensic Science has taken possession of the remains, discovered at the former Minus Funeral Home in Dover, and is working to make identifications and notify relatives, the agency and Dover police said in a statement.'

'Many of the bodies were decomposed and could not be identified. Several cemeteries refused to take them until the Evergreen Cemetery in Oakland, California, stepped forward in 1979 and accepted 409 bodies. The remaining victims were cremated or buried in family cemeteries'

'Searchers also found several bronze gravesite markers for deceased veterans who served in World War I through the Vietnam War'

Gravesite markers for the fallen in war too? How the heck did that happen? Hope the military step in, and put those markers in war grave cemeteries, where they belong!

http://abc7news.com/news/remains-of...funeral-home/247296/#&cmp=twi-kgo-post-247296

The whole Jones thing - Guyana massacre was utterly, completely appalling. I have some recollection of it, and recall being very confused and scared. There was a whole lot of discussion in my household about cults and what they are, and how to avoid being involved in them...without ever realizing that Mom was involved in a group which, to this day, some believe is a cult.

But no one was killed, and no one drank any Kool-Aid, either, in that group...

Just a horrific time, all around...and I'm glad these victims were found. May they rest in peace, and be forever Blessed by God...

Best
Herding Cats

American Experience Documentary:

Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple

http://youtu.be/9NQ5KBzD8w0

The level of brainwashing can be felt when listening to some of the temple participants.

Also, as an aside: Younger people might have a light bulb moment and realize that this experience is where the phrase "drink the kool-aid" comes from.

Nine Jonestown victims are found nearly 40 years later. Jim Jones is truly an evil figure. Cults can be very dangerous and deadly.

I have always remembered the deaths and JJ who I despise. jmo

It reminds me of the man on btr trying to get followers to follow him in Relisha Rudds case. again, jmo

Chills listening to this again. Thanks Zwiebel.

Tragedy resulting from tragedy. Sadly these nine victims' remains may never be identified, due to the passage of time and the possibility other family members were also in Jonestown that fateful day. Perhaps that is why they were still at the (formerly) Minus Funeral Home.

May they all rest in peace.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henrypaul