4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, 2022 #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new here and first of all, I would like to say how impressed I am with all that you are doing here in helping to solve the crime. I followed the discussion for a while and I do hope I got the gist of how to post but if I make any faux pas please do not take it against me :)

Regarding the probable cause affidavit - PCA Kohberger I have a few things that I noticed that are just not sitting right with me:

"D.M. stated she was awoken at approximately 4:00 a.m. by what she stated sounded like Goncalves playing wilh her dog in one of the upstairs bedrooms, which were located on the third floor."

On the other hand, we get this information from the camera (which in MOO should be more accurate time-wise than witness perception) where it says that the camera recorded the dog barking starting at 4:17 am:

"At approximately 4:17 am., a security camera located at I 112 King Road, a residence immediately to the northwest of 1122 King Road, picked up distorted audio of what sounded like voices or a whimper followed by a loud thud. A dog can also be heard barking numerous times starting at 4:17 am. The security camera is less than fifty feet from the west wall of Kernodle's bedroom."

However, Kohberger was already seen leaving 1122 King Road at 4:20 as per PCA and it was footage from multiple videos in the neighborhood - so again cameras time wise should be pretty accurate:

"A review of footage from multiple videos obtained from the King Road Neighborhood strowed multiple sightings of Suspect Vehicle I starting at 3:29 a.m. and ending at 4:20 a.m. These sightings review of footage from multiple videos obtained from the King Road Neighborhood strowed multiple sightings of Suspect Vehicle I starting at 3:29 a.m. and ending at 4:20 a.m. These sightings show Suspect Vehicle I makes an initial three passes by the 1122 King Road residence and then leave via Walenta Drive."

It is all MOO IMOO and I might be just a newbie but from the PCA it looks as if Kohberger had only 3 minutes from the dog barking (4:17 am) because dog would start barking immediately during the first attack on the second floor ( I was thinking that maybe this discrepancy was because of the camera being activated only at 4:17 for the first time but it says that dog was heard multiple times and it seems continuous recording starting at 4:17) and leaving at 4:20 am. Maybe someone can shed some light on this and help me to think better about it. I am truly confused in MOO IMOO and would like your view of this.
The 4AM is listed as "approximately". I doubt someone waking up at that time of the morning would record the exact time.

The 4:17 time seems more specific, but is also described as "approximately". The other times are not so described. It suggests that the timing on the 4:17 record is questionable. It is also possible that there was activity prior to 4:17, but that that activity did not trigger a recording. Many security systems are triggered by light/motion and not sound. Could a light or flashlight have been turned on a 4:17AM?

Is it wrong that I'm actually glad this case has faded from the news a bit? I think the people of Moscow and U of I students were ready for a break without reports crawling around their city and campus constantly. Also gives both sides a chance to decompress and plan the best possible case for trial without having to give hundreds of press conferences and interviews.

It will come back into the forefront in June but for now, let the kids get back to normal at U of I and let the residents of Moscow live their lives without having to worry about being approached and asked if they ever saw BK around town, etc. I'm sure the families need some time to just grieve their loved ones and not have their phones blown up asking for comment.

S&BBMFF

To add to that... even LE came to the slider, and not to the front door, when they came for a noise complaint. Seems like for whatever reason that was a good entrance.

Also, I have friends who I've always gone to their back door because that was the first way I knew about (and easiest access) to their house. It wasn't until a long time later that I realized they had a front door. I always thought their "back door" was actually their "front door".

From this video and the others where the cops came for noise, I have to commend them for how patient they were. The house was obviously Grand Central Station in terms of traffic and kids would even have parties there when the roommates went elsewhere - see the nighttime video where nobody would answer the door at first.

The Moscow PD in all of these interactions were very easygoing and respectful - understanding kids will be kids and have parties and they can have all the fun they want, just don't disturb the neighbors. The cops line of "I'm sure you'd rather spend that $300 on beer and not a fine" comment to KG was funny, even she laughed.

There are some PD's in campus towns that get sick of breaking up noise complaints and parties quickly and start a ticket spree, but these guys seemed to 'get it' that they are young kids in their early 20's and they will have get togethers and they will have noise. Just a very cool approach all around because I'm guessing even their neighbors didn't want them to get tickets and fines - they just wanted it to quiet down.

The 4AM is listed as "approximately". I doubt someone waking up at that time of the morning would record the exact time.

The 4:17 time seems more specific, but is also described as "approximately". The other times are not so described. It suggests that the timing on the 4:17 record is questionable. It is also possible that there was activity prior to 4:17, but that that activity did not trigger a recording. Many security systems are triggered by light/motion and not sound. Could a light or flashlight have been turned on a 4:17AM?
That could go either way. If I'm awakened in the middle of the night, enough that I would get up, I look at the time--always.

That could go either way. If I'm awakened in the middle of the night, enough that I would get up, I look at the time--always.

it's also possible that DM looked at her clock but without something specific to back it up, I don't believe that the PCA would use a specific time.

The PCA does specifically mention forensic downloads from the roommates phones to back up their statements so I'm curious what conversation they may have had.

it's also possible that DM looked at her clock but without something specific to back it up, I don't believe that the PCA would use a specific time.

The PCA does specifically mention forensic downloads from the roommates phones to back up their statements so I'm curious what conversation they may have had.
It was also said Xana was on her phone watching TikTok videos at 4:12. That's an exact time that is easily verifiable.

From this video and the others where the cops came for noise, I have to commend them for how patient they were. The house was obviously Grand Central Station in terms of traffic and kids would even have parties there when the roommates went elsewhere - see the nighttime video where nobody would answer the door at first.

The Moscow PD in all of these interactions were very easygoing and respectful - understanding kids will be kids and have parties and they can have all the fun they want, just don't disturb the neighbors. The cops line of "I'm sure you'd rather spend that $300 on beer and not a fine" comment to KG was funny, even she laughed.

There are some PD's in campus towns that get sick of breaking up noise complaints and parties quickly and start a ticket spree, but these guys seemed to 'get it' that they are young kids in their early 20's and they will have get togethers and they will have noise. Just a very cool approach all around because I'm guessing even their neighbors didn't want them to get tickets and fines - they just wanted it to quiet down.

But also if the officer gets greeted and treated with respect, that goes a long way to him being more accommodating to the tenants.

If she had been belligerent or non-cooperative, then things would have spiraled out of control like so many cop/suspect interactions do that we read about that turn out bad for the suspect.

It was also said Xana was on her phone watching TikTok videos at 4:12. That's an exact time that is easily verifiable.

If you read the PCA again, it actually says that she was likely awake and using the app at that time. It would be certainly fairly easy to establish the screen was open and TikTok was playing but we don't know if she was using auto scroll or not.

At this point, all we really know is that he screen was open to TikTok at that time.

The main "employer" in Moscow is the University. Most residents have an affiliation with the college in some way. The police force understands the importance of their relationship with the students.

The main "employer" in Moscow is the University. Most residents have an affiliation with the college in some way. The police force understands the importance of their relationship with the students.
Got it - TY! It's just nice to see a police bodycam video where both sides are treating the other with respect and being reasonable. I know that's how the vast majority of police interactions go and we don't see them, but still nice to actually see one.

If you read the PCA again, it actually says that she was likely awake and using the app at that time. It would be certainly fairly easy to establish the screen was open and TikTok was playing but we don't know if she was using auto scroll or not.

At this point, all we really know is that he screen was open to TikTok at that time.
Technically yes, but she was up receiving a DD order at 4 am probably ate and scrolled through TikTok until she fell asleep (she thought). I think she was awake and heard noises on the 3rd floor, remember D said that she thought she heard someone say 'there's someone in the house'.

I think that was Xana telling Ethan that and he got up and was confronted by BK right outside his bedroom. I think her screen continued on scrolling even after she was killed. :(

Of course this is just my interpretation of how it could have happened.

Just wanted to say welcome! Hope you'll stick around!

IMO, we don't yet know all those details. I think DM didn't hear barking, but rather probably heard Kaylee leaving the dog in her room as she (Kaylee) went to Maddie's room because she heard something. The dog (Murphy) may not have realized anything was wrong initially and may have started barking at 4:17 either because he heard sounds of a struggle and was barking for his person or was waiting for Kaylee to return. It could also be that BK killed Kaylee and Maddie quickly and headed downstairs. Murphy may have heard the fight between Xana and BK or Ethan and BK on the 2nd floor and that could have prompted the barking.

The timeline is very tight, which has never sat well with me.

All above MOO.
I agree it's a tight timeline, but certainly doable with a highly motivated, athletic, adrenaline filled murderer. I've seen it reenacted on several sources that can't be linked here. He was a man on a mission IMO.

JMO

Technically yes, but she was up receiving a DD order at 4 am probably ate and scrolled through TikTok until she fell asleep (she thought). I think she was awake and heard noises on the 3rd floor, remember D said that she thought she heard someone say 'there's someone in the house'.

I think that was Xana telling Ethan that and he got up and was confronted by BK right outside his bedroom. I think her screen continued on scrolling even after she was killed. :(

I think Xana was first due to this part of the affidavit below. LE was saying he saw Xana first, then "also in the room" was a male (Ethan), so to me how this reads is Ethan was behind her, Xana being closer to the door. All MOO.

As I approached the room, I could see a body, later identified as Kemodle's, laying on the floor. Kernodle was deceased with wounds which appeared to have beencaused by an edged weapon. Also in the room was a male, later identified as Ethan Chapin, hereafter, "Chapin".

I agree it's a tight timeline, but certainly doable with a highly motivated, athletic, adrenaline filled murderer. I've seen it reenacted on several sources that can't be linked here. He was a man on a mission IMO.

JMO
I posted one of the reenactments upthread that I had saved that someone else had originally posted. Here's one we can link here:

I think Xana was first due to this part of the affidavit below. LE was saying he saw Xana first, then "also in the room" was a male (Ethan), so to me how this reads is Ethan was behind her, Xana being closer to the door. All MOO.

As I approached the room, I could see a body, later identified as Kemodle's, laying on the floor. Kernodle was deceased with wounds which appeared to have beencaused by an edged weapon. Also in the room was a male, later identified as Ethan Chapin, hereafter, "Chapin".
It was said that Xana had major defensive wounds and her fingers cut and almost severed. I can't picture Ethan letting that happen unless he was already deceased. Maybe he tried to crawl back to help Xana? :(

Again, MOO

I posted one of the reenactments upthread that I had saved that someone else had originally posted. Here's one we can link here:

Wow, they didn't do what investigators often do with other cases and add distasteful 80s slasher movie-style music.

MOO could be very quick though, the parking area on Queen Rd. is about 50 ft. from the kitchen slider.

And BK was a man who liked to run at night, according to a person in Pullman who sometimes went running with him. At night.

(News Nation interview with the running partner).

They ran 6-7 miles at night.

So, IMO, getting down that little slope, going about 50 feet to the slider was easy for him.\

I also speculate that DoorDash may have been used by various people at the house, during parties.

before he was IDd, I speculated that the killer would park near the arboretum, cover of night, change into kill suit and clean up after, and be a late night runner to and from the crime scene. Risky, yes, but imo jmo slightly less so than driving your own car right up to the door.
Once I had gotten into the groove of thinking it was a stranger-murder (or stalker/casual encounter killer), I too thought about the aboretum. I'm really surprised BK drove his car right up to the murder scene. It's actually one of the strangest things about this crime.

I had a strong intuition that this could be an older student/campus hanger on/unlaunched person with...issues making friends. I even thought he might be from Pullman and be a petty cannabis dealer (which may turn out to be true - although only 12 trips to that particular neighborhood argues against that).

Be interesting to see where else he was used to going in Moscow.

IMO

JMO
potentially, it could happen, but I'd offer one caveat: we can't say this is 'certainly doable' imo jmo without a lot more info re crime details, and I'm pretty sure none of us have that.

Neither we nor the video creators have the knowledge/experience required to factor in the emotional, psychological, physical, visceral response or what 'fighting back' looks like. jmo imo. sometimes I find easy things are harder than they look jmo.

editing to add: sometimes my posts are interpreted as snarky even though they were not written that way. this one was def not intended as snarky. only trying to say that killing four people might be harder than it looks and take more time than it would seem in a video.

Last edited:

If this is how it happened, the thought of TikTok continuing to play videos next to two dead bodies is sad, creepy, and horrifying :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Watercolor611