4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, 2022 #77

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting! But doesn't say all will get degrees, just "appropriate recognition." That might be less than a degree for some.
JMO

Agree. It's very unfortunate if some get a posthumous degree and some don't, but I think the University has to maintain objective adherence to their own policy OR they need to change their policy. Otherwise, parents of students who died in the past and parents of students who die in the future will be (rightfully) heartbroken that their child didn't get the same recognition. It's really unfortunate. I wish they were all seniors.

MOO.

Agree. It's very unfortunate if some get a posthumous degree and some don't, but I think the University has to maintain objective adherence to their own policy OR they need to change their policy. Otherwise, parents of students who died in the past and parents of students who die in the future will be (rightfully) heartbroken that their child didn't get the same recognition. It's really unfortunate. I wish they were all seniors.

MOO.
I agree. Kaylee had completed her coursework; but I think she was the only one. Largely symbolic though so don’t see any harm in giving it to all four. JMO

BBM.

IANAL, but IMO, you can't use the Elantra leaving the scene to determine time of death in court. Doing so is acting off the presumption that the Elantra was connected directly to the murder as if it's fact. It's not fact, which is why there's a trial.

IMO, they need to say TOD was at 4:15 and the Elantra was spotted leaving at that same time to draw the connection. TOD should be determined with other means that are rooted in fact, such as Xana's stomach contents. Also, we have a lot of other clues in this case, such as the TT activity and what time DM and BF texted the group. Still, I expect BK's lawyer to play up that the deaths could have happened later in the morning.

MOO.
DOCTOR, ALL EVIDENCE has to have a foundation and be connected to the actual crime on a factual basis!

My point was that security videos usually have time stamps. Stomach contents do not.

I'm sure you know that no two individuals digest food at the precisely same rate of speed, so the best the stomach contents will give is a range of time when the victim would have been alive and eating.

I expect X will be key, since we know when her last meal was delivered, but MM and KG also brought food home from the food truck, so their stomach contents will help round out the picture.

But that still isn't going to give prosecutors a to-the-minute time like "4:15 a.m."

I don't think it will, anyway.

I wonder if there was overwhelming local support within U of Id and the community for awarding their degrees that it might not go ahead? As a sign of respect and honoring their lives and recognising their paths were cut short..but also within a context that recognises the need for community healing? MOO. In those circumstances perhaps awarding the degrees can be understood by locals and the U of Id as a very deliberate step towards healing. Symbolic but could potentially be powerful.MOO

Thank you @gliving and @jepop for the photos! ♥ ♥

I think I'm (maybe) done obsessing over how the killer got to and from the house, or at least I'm realizing I need to stop obsessing over it and put it on the don't know until we get more information list. Especially since my main curiousity about it concerns the extremely tight time line of when the murders occurred.

IMHO the easiest route would have been to walk down the street between the house and the apartments and either walk to the house from down where the trash cans were or a little above that (where one could jump down or sit and then go over the embankment). From there he could have gone around the side of the house to the back. The main problems with that would be that he would have been visible to cars going by, people looking out their windows, and possibly getting caught on a camera - unless the one at the house next door only picks up audio.

The other way would have been if he'd scouted out a less difficult way to cut thru the woods from the parking lot above / behind the house. That would provide the most cover and would seem the most likely, but I still believe it would be less than ideal. Watching LE make their way down during the day (on the video) shows it is possible, but even though they could see where they're going, they still held onto trees, stepped over underbrush, etc and pushed limbs out of the way so they didn't get slapped in the face by them. In the dark, it seems like one would need a flashlight at the very least -- and maybe he did have one and stuck it in a pocket or left it sitting on the patio. IMO - or more just plain speculation than opinion with all of this.

In thread 5, page 11 @otto posted a very interesting map and wrote: "I'm always curious about the location of murders. I pulled up a topography map. Each blue line represents a 10 feet increase in elevation. The red line is the property boundary. Queen Street is at the top of the map. There are measurement tools available too. That looks like a steep, treed back yard." - the map is linked below.(BBM)

Thank you to everyone for your input, great ideas and suggestions!

The video showing LE walking thru the woods behind the house:

Attachments

• topography.jpg
    topography.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Giving degrees seems complicated - or more like ignoring the policy on posthumous degrees could be complicated. On a purely sentimental level, of course it would be lovely if they all receive them. And I'm sure it would be create a positive image for the University and alumns (is that the correct term?). The murders and publicity can't have helped the University or the small college town of Moscow. And it might help with healing. And IMO it would generate positive media publicity. (The media is the least of my concerns, but it does matter to universities.)

On the other hand, as has been pointed out, if the University doesn't change its policy and goes ahead and gives all four degrees, then they should also present posthumous degrees to all students who have passed as well as to those who pass in the future. Those students were / are every bit as precious and valuable.

Students have been murdered at colleges and universities in the past (and more have passed from other causes). I've seen that some universities give posthumous degrees for students that meet the criteria (credit hours, etc) and In Memoriam degrees to those that don't. It looks like UofI requires a student to have completed all but 30 credit hours. It's likely that Kaylee and Madison meet the criteria. Not so much Ethan and Xana, but they should be given something. It's too bad honorary degrees aren't given to students at that level. Just IMHO, MOO, etc

I think I'm (maybe) done obsessing over how the killer got to and from the house, or at least I'm realizing I need to stop obsessing over it and put it on the don't know until we get more information list. Especially since my main curiousity about it concerns the extremely tight time line of when the murders occurred.

IMHO the easiest route would have been to walk down the street between the house and the apartments and either walk to the house from down where the trash cans were or a little above that (where one could jump down or sit and then go over the embankment). From there he could have gone around the side of the house to the back. The main problems with that would be that he would have been visible to cars going by, people looking out their windows, and possibly getting caught on a camera - unless the one at the house next door only picks up audio.

The other way would have been if he'd scouted out a less difficult way to cut thru the woods from the parking lot above / behind the house. That would provide the most cover and would seem the most likely, but I still believe it would be less than ideal. Watching LE make their way down during the day (on the video) shows it is possible, but even though they could see where they're going, they still held onto trees, stepped over underbrush, etc and pushed limbs out of the way so they didn't get slapped in the face by them. In the dark, it seems like one would need a flashlight at the very least -- and maybe he did have one and stuck it in a pocket or left it sitting on the patio. IMO - or more just plain speculation than opinion with all of this.

In thread 5, page 11 @otto posted a very interesting map and wrote: "I'm always curious about the location of murders. I pulled up a topography map. Each blue line represents a 10 feet increase in elevation. The red line is the property boundary. Queen Street is at the top of the map. There are measurement tools available too. That looks like a steep, treed back yard." - the map is linked below.(BBM)

Thanks for the video, MOO looks like the first policeman walked down hands mostly in pockets in 30 seconds.
MOO It look like an informal path down made through use by local residents.

DOCTOR, ALL EVIDENCE has to have a foundation and be connected to the actual crime on a factual basis!

Yes, it does. If you are using time of death to suggest this man must be the murderer because the victim died when he was at the scene, you cannot then turn around and use the man's car to determine time of death. That SCREAMS confirmation bias to the millionth degree, not to mention it just sounds illogical. JMO.

My point was that security videos usually have time stamps. Stomach contents do not.

I'm sure you know that no two individuals digest food at the precisely same rate of speed, so the best the stomach contents will give is a range of time when the victim would have been alive and eating.

I do know that, but thanks anyway. While everyone digests food at different (but similar) rates, we're talking about someone who literally just finished eating.

If we believe that Xana was eating 5 minutes before she died, there is zero possibility her food was digested. If, on the other hand, Xana's food was fully digested, then there is no way she died at 4:15 or 4:30.

I expect X will be key, since we know when her last meal was delivered, but MM and KG also brought food home from the food truck, so their stomach contents will help round out the picture.

I was not referring to either MM or KG (or EC for that matter, unless we know he ate with Xana). Xana's digestion will give us her approximate time of death and IMO, it would be legally sound for it to be assumed the others died in close proximity, or at the very least were attacked around the same time.

But that still isn't going to give prosecutors a to-the-minute time like "4:15 a.m."

I don't think it will, anyway.

I'm confused on why it matter is if it's 4:15 vs 4:16 vs 4:17 vs 4:20?

One can always complain to the building administrator, no?

Usually, there is so called "night quiet" from 10 pm to 7 am in apartment buildings.

But Im not sure about the USA.

JMO
I would have to double check my lease (it's been a long time since I signed it) but I live in the second story of a residential duplex and I'm pretty sure I also have "quiet hours".

I've got the perfect neighbor downstairs, though. We work completely different shifts so we are never bothering each other. Especially handy since I'm a night owl and she's working those hours!

I think they will all receive posthumous degrees, but that's just my opinion.
I work at a college and we have a policy in place for awarding posthumous degrees if students pass away (the office I work in is responsible for awarding degrees). It depends on how close they were to completing their degrees. None of the students I've had to process were close to earning their degrees. It is incredibly sad how many and how young students have passed away, especially for how small our institution is.

Giving degrees seems complicated - or more like ignoring the policy on posthumous degrees could be complicated. On a purely sentimental level, of course it would be lovely if they all receive them. And I'm sure it would be create a positive image for the University and alumns (is that the correct term?). The murders and publicity can't have helped the University or the small college town of Moscow. And it might help with healing. And IMO it would generate positive media publicity. (The media is the least of my concerns, but it does matter to universities.)

On the other hand, as has been pointed out, if the University doesn't change its policy and goes ahead and gives all four degrees, then they should also present posthumous degrees to all students who have passed as well as to those who pass in the future. Those students were / are every bit as precious and valuable.

Students have been murdered at colleges and universities in the past (and more have passed from other causes). I've seen that some universities give posthumous degrees for students that meet the criteria (credit hours, etc) and In Memoriam degrees to those that don't. It looks like UofI requires a student to have completed all but 30 credit hours. It's likely that Kaylee and Madison meet the criteria. Not so much Ethan and Xana, but they should be given something. It's too bad honorary degrees aren't given to students at that level. Just IMHO, MOO, etc

I agree, policies need to be followed, and I suspect (as you stated and others have stated above) that only Kaylee and Maddie likely met the criteria for the conferral of a posthumous degree. Perhaps the University of Idaho has something else planned for Xana and Ethan that recognizes their accomplishments, but not the conferral of a degree.

At our university, we award at least one posthumous degree each semester, sadly. With 30,000 students, a university is like a small city, so we have students who pass away due to illness, accidents (we awarded a posthumous degree last semester to a doctoral student who died in a motorcycle accident), suicide, etc.

We do have an "exceptional circumstances" clause in our posthumous degree policy, but in the years I have worked at this university, I have never seen it used. And I didn't see any clause like that in the University of Idaho's posthumous degree policy.

Policy changes at universities go through a rigorous process involving feedback from constituent groups - including Faculty Senate, Deans' Council, Department Chairs, and a university's Board of Regents or Trustees also takes this into account for final approval, if the policy requires Board approval. Since the Univesity of Idaho is also a university system, changes to the policy would also need to apply to other campuses of U of I, beyond Moscow.

Anyway, I guess we'll see.

It's possible. I can see it might seem awkward if they didn't since they were all murdered. But the awarding of university degrees under ordinary non-tragic circumstances is based on individual student achievement, not a shared group experience. If EC was still a freshman, he had not yet amassed 26 credit hours...pretty far from needing no more than 30 hours per the posthumous degree award policy. And has been discussed, KG was essentially through or would have been in Dec.

"Class ratings of undergraduates are determined as follows: Sophomore-26 credits, Junior-58 credits, and Senior-90 credits."

So I don't know.
I didn't realize they all weren't Seniors. I doubt the University would give out an unearned degree. That makes no sense. Their families are still going through so much pain:( MOO

It's possible. I can see it might seem awkward if they didn't since they were all murdered. But the awarding of university degrees under ordinary non-tragic circumstances is based on individual student achievement, not a shared group experience. If EC was still a freshman, he had not yet amassed 26 credit hours...pretty far from needing no more than 30 hours per the posthumous degree award policy. And has been discussed, KG was essentially through or would have been in Dec.

"Class ratings of undergraduates are determined as follows: Sophomore-26 credits, Junior-58 credits, and Senior-90 credits."

So I don't know.
At Rutgers University, where I went, it takes 120 credits to graduate/undergraduate degree.

It's a great video. I'd never seen it before. Beginning at about 4.24 the officers walk down quite easily from the road above to the south-east corner of the house ie to the level area below balcony outside MM's room. MOO.
Thanks for the video, MOO looks like the first policeman walked down hands mostly in pockets in 30 seconds.
MOO It look like an informal path down made through use by local residents.

At Rutgers University, where I went, it takes 120 credits to graduate/undergraduate degree.
That's pretty standard across the nation. Some programs have higher credit hours to graduate due to the accreditation requirements in their field, particularly Engineering baccalaureates.

But most universities in the U.S. have been working for the last 10 years or so to reduce credit hours and bring them down to 120 credits. State legislatures around the country have been mandating this for years now, to reduce student and family costs for a higher education degree, and to reduce time-to-degree.

Over the years, the credit hours needed to graduate had crept up, but now the standard at pubic universities is 120 for acaddemic programs that are eligible, which is usually the majority of the academic programs on campus, with the exception of a few.

Thank you so much for finding this! I have been thinking about that post, but had no clue how to begin to find it. And I've been too lazy/tired to go figure out how to do a topo map from Google.

So I'd guess it's not more than 12 feet gain/loss along the stretch between where a car could park near the back and getting to the deck, over about 40 yards. That's basically a gentle to moderate slope.

I'm sorry I was misleading with the night running post - but I am going to stand by my view that anyone who is used to running/hiking at night is going to be able to do that stretch near the house with no problem. At some point, we discussed the moon phase and rise/set times, but it was certainly not a pitch black night, and it's possible the murderer had a headlamp (I'd put mine on red, which is what I do when I walk the dogs in the neighborhood at night, makes me nearly invisible but provides enough light for me - I am way way older than the suspect) to walk about. I did grow up in a semi-rural, somewhat hilly town, and thought nothing in my high school years (or now) to being out and about in uneven terrain.

I did think the friend giving the info about the running was more recent, but I also stand by my point that the skills needed for this, esp when developed young, don't just disappear.

I think BK looks more athletic at 28 than he does in his high school photos. We do not know if he still night runs, but the showering and activity noted at night at his student apartment make me think he (like me) is a night owl and he may still exercise in some way at night.

When I come across the pictures of KG and friend standing at that deck (on police bodycam) I'll screen shot if it shows part of that hill. Personally, I think the task of entering the house from that hidden area (not from the front parking lot) was more interesting and challenging.

It also got me to thinking about SPECULATION that I haven't seen covered here (much) and that has to do with whether BK had gone to Moscow on other occasions than the 12 mentioned in the PCA, perhaps parking somewhere on the other side of campus, and then jogging or running around this little neighborhood where 1122 is located. We know that his phone *connected* to cell towers near the house, but what about pings off other cell towers where his phone was not recognized? Surely they have a lot of that sort of data. Also jogging/running around other campus residential areas.

We may see way more digital forensics in June. If so, that could bury BK almost as much as finding victim blood or ID among his possessions. I also felt, even before we ever heard his name, that this type of crime might be related to "hot prowling" and if so, it's possible that the ID's that were found in PA came from various places (to which his movements might be matched by digital evidence). That's one of my favorite theories right now.

As to assessing cause of death, top notch medical examiners (and I believe the one in Spokane is state-of-the-art) probably aren't going to do more than mention stomach contents. I'll put together another post about newer methods of assessing ToD (and of course, LE already had the four redacted autopsies when they put together the PDA - they know that nothing in the autopsies - which were seen by the judge - contradicts the timing in the PCA).

And as to the difference in language about the nature of the victims' wounds, I believe that's due to there being different pathologists involved in the four autopsies.

I cannot be convinced that, with a staff of 4-5 top notch forensic pathologists at the new facility in Spokane, that just one person performed all four. It makes no sense. I believe it's possible that 3 of those pathologists (possibly 4) were involved in leading up the autopsies, and each used slightly different language (all of it consistent with forensic pathology training and some of it rather interchangeable). At every autopsy I've seen or had records of, the pathologists dictates orally into a device as they do their findings.

I haven't seen more than a dozen in person but I've read 100's. One of my jobs was to procure the autopsies along with the audio transcripts, and summarize then for our case files. Sometimes the audio contained bits of extra information that were not in the written report, but more typically, the written report was just a lightly edited version of the dictations. If anyone else has experience in this area that's more recent than mine (I did this until 1985) I would be much obliged if let me know your own perspectives.

For those of you outside the US (and some of you who are inside, the below link to the Spokane County Medical Examiner's page might be of interest, especially the "of note" part at the bottom. It also has links showing the new facility and emphasizing the technical competence of the staff.

IMO.

Last edited:
Yes, it does. If you are using time of death to suggest this man must be the murderer because the victim died when he was at the scene, you cannot then turn around and use the man's car to determine time of death. That SCREAMS confirmation bias to the millionth degree, not to mention it just sounds illogical. JMO.

I do know that, but thanks anyway. While everyone digests food at different (but similar) rates, we're talking about someone who literally just finished eating.

If we believe that Xana was eating 5 minutes before she died, there is zero possibility her food was digested. If, on the other hand, Xana's food was fully digested, then there is no way she died at 4:15 or 4:30.

I was not referring to either MM or KG (or EC for that matter, unless we know he ate with Xana). Xana's digestion will give us her approximate time of death and IMO, it would be legally sound for it to be assumed the others died in close proximity, or at the very least were attacked around the same time.

I'm confused on why it matter is if it's 4:15 vs 4:16 vs 4:17 vs 4:20?

That makes two of us. I too am confused. As long as the various estimates are consistent with the other forensic evidence, I don't think it matters. The evidence of the time at which the crimes occurred is already more specific than in some other cases, due to the DD delivery, Xana's use of her phone, DM hearing sounds related to the crimes and seeing a person in the house, the neighbor's cameras (including the one that picked up sound) and the videos of a car parking near the house at a particular time, and leaving at a different time (even if the cameras were off by 1-2 minutes in how their time was set, I do not see why that's such an issue).

I totally agree that all that matters in terms of stomach contents is that they not be inconsistent with other known facts of the case - and since the Judge has seen the actual autopsies, I have high confidence that the autopsy results are consistent with the Prosecutor's timeline.

IMO.

That's pretty standard across the nation. Some programs have higher credit hours to graduate due to the accreditation requirements in their field, particularly Engineering baccalaureates.

But most universities in the U.S. have been working for the last 10 years or so to reduce credit hours and bring them down to 120 credits. State legislatures around the country have been mandating this for years now, to reduce student and family costs for a higher education degree, and to reduce time-to-degree.

Over the years, the credit hours needed to graduate had crept up, but now the standard at pubic universities is 120 for acaddemic programs that are eligible, which is usually the majority of the academic programs on campus, with the exception of a few.
When I graduated in 1983 it was 120, but perhaps it may depend on type of College/University? Interesting overall...I suppose why Degrees from some colleges/Universities are more valued by employers.

When I graduated in 1983 it was 120, but perhaps it may depend on type of College/University? Interesting overall...I suppose why Degrees from some colleges/Universities are more valued by employers.
Since the 1980's, credit hours really crept up at universities. The move over the last ten years had been to reduce time-to-degree back to 120 hours. A few academic programs, like Engineering, have requirements with their accreditor, ABET, and can't get down to 120, but most academic programs are able to do so, and have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotto