4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, 2022 #78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I so apologise for my ignorance, please could you explain what is BARD, I have no clue what it means, I’ve spent ages googling it & cannot figure it out & have trouble understanding part of each of your posts due to the continued use of the word? Thank you
Bard
noun

A poet.

But CAPITAL BARD is Beyond A Reasonable Doubt.....LOL

I don't get it. How could the defense know there's exculpatory evidence being withheld without already having it?
HA!

Good question!

Perhaps there is an assumption on their part.

The prosecution's Private Investigator is the one who told the defense that they uncovered exculpatory statements from the roommate.

Perhaps it is the PI who thinks they can dig up more exculpatory evidence?

I don't get it. How could the defense know there's exculpatory evidence being withheld without already having it?
Likely enough nuance in what BF said that it allows for different interpretations.

A example: she may have seen something out of her window that wasn’t BK but didn’t see them leave or enter the house.

Defense could say that’s exculpatory and the prosecution could say it’s inconsequential.

MOO

Is it possible that the University leadership/counsel would request LE serve the warrant to the OotR and that office would disseminate the information instead of having warrants fly willy-nilly around campus? (I don't know the answer to this, so I'm spitballing).

Edited to clarify based on convo w/NC Watcher below. It's only my job to confuse @al66pine today. Everyone else is off the hook for today :)
Love this, must have been my turn today ha ha - I always read your posts as you write so well & appear to have such a fantastic grasp on aspects of this case that I find baffling.

HA!

Good question!

Perhaps there is an assumption on their part.

The prosecution's Private Investigator is the one who told the defense that they uncovered exculpatory statements from the roommate.

Perhaps it is the PI who thinks they can dig up more exculpatory evidence?
So the PI isn't bound by the gag order?

the DNA and surprised it is so little. - note that these are only excerpts. The article is much longer and there are also links to articles 1-3.

The consumer DNA kits that are sold in your local CVS need about 750 to 1,000 nanograms to find out all they need to know about you. And that’s not much. It’s smaller than a speck of floating dust, and a whole lot less substantial. A single nanogram is as heavy as a breeze; it weighs a few trillionths of a pound. There’s nothing to it.

But crime scenes often contain a whole lot less DNA than that. The forensic teams will routinely wind up with only 100 or so nanograms of DNA. Yet scientists can nevertheless work their magic and use even this microscopic amount of genetic evidence to nail the criminal.

The problem, however, was that the DNA on the knife sheath, authorities would concede on background, was less than one hundred nanograms. A whole lot less. A mere fraction, in fact, of a single nanogram. Nothing more than just a handful of microscopic-sized cells. In total, according to knowledgeable sources, about 20 cells. Maybe, they whispered, even fewer. The DNA sample was as small as a fragment of a speck balanced on the head of a tiny pin...

It no longer mattered that they had previously drawn a blank trying to make a link between the DNA on the knife-sheath button and Bryan Kohberger. They had succeeded in doing the next best thing—and they were convinced that was good enough.

They had matched the speck of DNA recovered from the murder house to the DNA embedded in the trash of Michael Kohberger, the suspect’s father. And while moralists might find biblical authority for the argument that the father was not responsible for his son’s alleged sins, the more practical geneticists had found an indisputable link: “At least 99.9998% of the male population would be expected to be excluded from the possibility of being the suspect’s biological father.” Q.E.D.: the DNA on the knife-sheath button belonged, the Idaho authorities asserted, to Michael Kohberger’s son, Bryan.
I am so very new here and I am still in a phase where I just read all of your posts and am in awe of the amount of great work you do here. I just wanted to comment on something in this amazing post that I know something about. Not DNA but numbers and percentages and how we as humans are easily tricked by them.
So when somebody is giving you 99% SLA on your service you would think that is amazing, right? However when you look at what that really means you will find out that 99% SLA means that you might find yourself with 5203 minutes of downtime in a year, or 3.6 days and the service will still be provided under SLA. That now sounds like a pretty horrible SLA, doesn't it?
Let's apply this and see how many men can actually be the father of the person that left his DNA on the sheath if at least 99.9998% of the male population would be expected to be excluded from the possibility of being the suspect’s biological father.
According to Chat GPT, the total male population over 50 (I am taking into account that the father of the suspect is over 50 since the suspect in custody is of the age whose father would be most likely to be over 50) of the entire US is 83.2 million.
This means that in the entire US, there are 166 men that could not be excluded from being the father of the person that left his DNA on the sheath.
If you take a look into the states of Idaho, Washington (that are both the state of the murder scene or close to the murder scene), and Pennsylvania (from where BK is) that amounts to 8.7 men over 50 years of age that could not be excluded from being the father of the person that left the DNA on the sheath.
IMO JMO ICBW but my understanding is that we still do not know if BK has already been confirmed via his DNA testing to be the person that actually left the DNA on the sheath. According to the calculation above, I conclude that it was confirmed only that his father might be one of the 166 men over 50 in the entire US that could not be excluded from being the father of the person that left the DNA on the sheath.
I have a feeling that there is a lot going on behind the scenes and we are not privy to a lot of information but with Brady and Giglio that is not explained, prosecution not turning lots of evidence to the defense I am injected with the dose of reasonable doubt I just cannot get rid of.
I don't know if I can share this but it is IMO JMO and ICBW and admins please delete my post if this is inappropriate but one scenario comes to my mind - we know that BK was in contact with murderers for his scientific work and I am wondering if he shared how he might be stalking Idaho victims and someone decided to go there, committed murders and BK ended up being framed. I wonder if among these murderers he studied is someone whose father also could not be excluded from being the father of the person that left his DNA on the sheath? Again all of this IMO JMO ICBW
I was 99% sure they had the right person but now am no longer that sure about it. Still over 50% but thoughts are arising that I just cannot shake off. IMO JMO ICBW

I've read this theory before. IMO, it would be stupid to do that because it will come back to bite. I also think that even if they claim to have done it on purpose, there better be official documentation that can be legitimately traced in terms of date that state that. People can say after the fact that it was done on purpose. IMO, we need proof of that.
Once upon a time (Before this case), I would have agreed & then LE released information that the two surviving roommates were on the first (Ground) floor & now we know that is not true information & it has blown my whole idea of what LE can say & do right out of the water (I know, very naive, it is what it is lol).

The PI works for the prosecution so yes the PI is under the gag order.

I thought it was the PI working for the defense that revealed this, not prosecution. The PI for the prosecution (if there is one?) wouldn't share info with the defense, IMO.

The PI also didn't break the gag order that I know of. They filed an affidavit and that's what alerted the media. It hasn't been confirmed that he tipped off the media that I've seen.

MOO.

I thought it was the PI working for the defense that revealed this, not prosecution. The PI for the prosecution (if there is one?) wouldn't share info with the defense, IMO.

The PI also didn't break the gag order that I know of. They filed an affidavit and that's what alerted the media. It hasn't been confirmed that he tipped off the media that I've seen.

MOO.
So the defense already has the exculpatory evidence and they can use it in court.

MOO.
I had to go back and change that, I accidentally typed prosecution instead of defense.

Right. The media, like dogs on steak, devoured what was in court documents...ie...affidavit.

That PI won't reveal what the exculpatory evidence is of course, and it would have to be verified when the witness is interviewed. I assume her statement will be a sworn statement that can be used in court.

Not sure how her testimony will be presented. In writing and only the judge seeing it? Read out loud before the court?

So the defense already has the exculpatory evidence and they can use it in court.

No they don't. The affidavit is to interview BF, which they haven't done. They've read what she told police, I'm sure, but that doesn't mean they're not entitled to speak with her.

You might also want to read this.

Clearly, they don't have the evidence. They have information about it, but that isn't the same as having it or analyzing it.

MOO

I had to go back and change that, I accidentally typed prosecution instead of defense.

Right. The media, like dogs on steak, devoured what was in court documents...ie...affidavit.

That PI won't reveal what the exculpatory evidence is of course, and it would have to be verified when the witness is interviewed. I assume her statement will be a sworn statement that can be used in court.

Not sure how her testimony will be presented. In writing and only the judge seeing it? Read out loud before the court?

I believe this is only for the preliminary hearing. Most likely, both BF and DM will be forced to testify in person at trial. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member