4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, 2022 #79

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always been intrigued by Locard's exchange principle.

In forensic science, Locard's principle holds that the perpetrator of a crime will bring something into the crime scene and leave with something from it, and that both can be used as forensic evidence. Dr. Edmond Locard was a pioneer in forensic science.

It has always been my own opinion thst BK left more than DNA on a sheath.
As well, what did he take with him when he left? Murphy's hair, victim's blood, anything from that house in  his car -- there's no getting around that.

As well, what did he take with him when he left? Murphy's hair, victim's blood, anything from that house in  his car -- there's no getting around that.
Yes, there must have been something he picked up in the house that he carried out with him unknowingly, even if he was super careful.

It was also speculated in MSM that LE found ID cards in the search of his car at his parent's house, and they were "connected" to the victims (not confirmed, and News Nation didn't identify source citing the gag order):

ID connected to Idaho murder victim found in Bryan Kohberger's car

That is very incriminating evidence if true, IMO, that dovetails with the knife sheath having his DNA found at their house, and their personal items found in his car at his house, 2000 miles away, where he was a fugitive from justice.

MOO

Banfield's report this morning that a secret grand jury has indicted Bryan Kohberger is big news. Now that PH is no longer needed, and arraignment and entering plea is scheduled for next week on Monday, May 22, lots of questions regarding time of trial, etc.

I'm alerting @PrairieWind, our verified expert attorney, hoping s/he can give us some insight on next steps and why she thinks the D.A. summoned a grand jury. Did the defense know this was coming and, if so, were they not really preparing for a preliminary hearing?

Well, I hate to bring up the old cliché, but they say that a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich, if the DA wanted that.

Seriously, I suspect that the PCA itself would supply enough evidence for a grand jury indictment.

Assuming that the source told the truth, I’ll be very interested in hearing what knowledgeable people say the change is all about. My mind’s full of wild speculations.
Well, if there is no PH, then we won't learn anything on June 26th. If her source is right, they might have done it to maximize their ability to keep things out of the public eye.

Yes, there must have been something he picked up in the house that he carried out with him unknowingly, even if he was super careful.

It was also speculated in MSM that LE found ID cards in the search of his car at his parent's house, and they were "connected" to the victims (not confirmed, and News Nation didn't identify source citing the gag order):

ID connected to Idaho murder victim found in Bryan Kohberger's car

That is very incriminating evidence if true, IMO, that dovetails with the knife sheath having his DNA found at their house, and their personal items found in his car at his house, 2000 miles away, where he was a fugitive from justice.

MOO

There's no way he didn't. He would have had to have shaved his entire body put on a plastic jumpsuit that covered his face and head, and shoes then shed this jumpsuit BEFORE entering his car or apt.
Chances are he dropped a hair and picked up dog hair on his way out.

Haven't caught up yet, but I agree they were interviewed before the 29th and before LE wrote the PCA.

It seems likely the girls were among those in front of the house "crying while draped in emergency blankets." And most likely, IMHO, they were in no condition to give intensive interviews right away. Which makes perfect sense. So IMHO maybe some basic questions at first and interviews set up for later: probably not much later. And IMHO it seems logical there would be several interviews, varying in depth and time, after that. Several considering that, as far as we know, they were the only two people in the house who survived the attack. I don't recall seeing when or if either girl hired an attorney at any point. I would hope they did, because it seems like LE would have come up with new questions as they found new information. IMHO from what we've seen the girls might have been protected to whatever extent from the media, which also makes sense. But protected or not, and lawyered up or not, it seems unlikely that LE stopped questioning them right up to or after the 29th. IMHO. Thus my curiosity.

Link to girls crying while draped in emergency blankets:
Thanks for the post. I was just talking about the OP and your response. Was the witness's (DM's) description provided to LE prior to the identification of BK as suspect? You wanted to know if we could be sure,unless I have misunderstood (?), and I think that the PCA indicates that LE had DM's physical description of the stranger she saw on the night, prior to LE identifying BK as suspect. As to the other questions you raise, I don't think the public know much more at this point. I have no idea how many times LE interviewed the two housemates. All I surmise is that DM made her statement regarding the physical characteristics of the stranger, before BK was suspect. Taking into account the trauma etc, I still think that LE would would have followed through with this ASAP post discovery of the crime. I'm not willing to speculate further at this point as I don't think there are grounds/facts available to do so. MOO

edited spelling

Banfield's report this morning that a secret grand jury has indicted Bryan Kohberger is big news. Now that PH is no longer needed, and arraignment and entering plea is scheduled for next week on Monday, May 22, lots of questions regarding time of trial, etc.

I'm alerting @PrairieWind, our verified expert attorney, hoping s/he can give us some insight on next steps and why she thinks the D.A. summoned a grand jury. Did the defense know this was coming and, if so, were they not really preparing for a preliminary hearing?
This is the first I have heard of this. That would really surprise me if this has indeed happened. it doesn't make much sense to me for the prosecutor to have taken this direction.

This is the first I have heard of this. That would really surprise me if this has indeed happened. it doesn't make much sense to me for the prosecutor to have taken this direction.
I have no experience in all things law, but wouldn't an indictment negate the need for the Prelim?
I just kept thinking with the 2 addn'l state guys coming on board, a GJ would be convened to avoid the Prelim and further dissemination of info to the public.
I kinda don't believe it happened, though.
All just my uneducated questions and opinion.

ETA: Oh, yes it did!

Last edited:
I have no experience in all things law, but wouldn't an indictment negate the need for the Prelim?

I am not a lawyer, and I am just repeating what I've seen other people say: with this indictment, no, there will be no PH, it literally bypasses the need for one.

Someone please correct me if wrong.

Edit: from the KREM article linked just now: "A preliminary hearing has been canceled."

I know we’d all love you to speculate on the possible whys of it, but you’d better wait till it’s confirmed!

And now it’s been confirmed!

Last edited:
I see she also added 'story coming soon', but how much can they report on?

I'm really asking, as a non-lawyer. Are secret grand juries so secret that they can't be acknowledged, and/or are they covered by the gag order?

Same question for the arraignment. I assume that becomes public info at some point?

Okay, someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I believe that grand jury proceedings are super-secret, and don’t even need to be covered by the gag order.

The arraignment, on the other hand, is open, coverable, could even be televised, if deemed worthy of that.

MOO

I am not a lawyer, and I am just repeating what I've seen other people say: with this indictment, no, there will be no PH, it literally bypasses the need for one.

Edit: from the KREM article linked just now: "A preliminary hearing has been canceled."
Yes that is correct. A preliminary hearing is where the prosecutor shows there is probable cause to move to trial. A Grand Jury establishes that same probable cause. They serve the same purpose. However the Defense has no right to even appear, let alone challenge, anything presented to a Grand Jury.

Guess we're smarter than we thought!

Okay, someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I believe that grand jury proceedings are super-secret, and don’t even need to be covered by the gag order.

The arraignment, on the other hand, is open, coverable, could even be televised, if deemed worthy of that.

MOO
The Arraignment should be in open court.

Slightly off topic but I never read this was established and I definitely don’t want to go back through all 80 threads… has it been confirmed definitely that BK had pictures of MM on his phone/ was connected to her on SM? Or is it all speculation, i.e. reported but not confirmed?
TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member